• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

televator

Frankly, I think krikzz has set a standard with modern flash carts, but I don't think he needs to be the one to cover every system.

Looking at the SD2SNES, its perfectly possible for other inventive folks to come up with other complex solutions. I think there's still hope for a definitive gba flash cart.

Jazzem

Bahaha, just played original Game Boy Tetris with the housemate...for three hours! So novel using a link cable in this day and age, eheh.

My SP was behaving weirdly though, kept going between green and red on the battery light.

Paskil

So I'm looking to make my own GBA cases. I'm first going to check through all of my DS cases to see which have the advance cases before ordering more cases. Mainly to avoid getting cases without the advance cartridge slot, if possible.

What is your solution for the instruction manuals? Does that label website that has the covers also have scans of the instruction booklets? If you are printing the manuals, what do you find is the best type of paper to direct the printing place to use for the same feel?

I'm not really looking to go out of my way to buy the manuals for the games that I do not have them for (almost all my GBA games). Especially since I imagine some would run a good sum.

brainpann

heh yeah, but it won't

if anyone can do it, Krikzz can. man's a genius.

Quick question for GBA owning GAF - does this look alright? And is that a glass screen?

Just need a second opinion on it before I buy.

Looks good to me, although I cant tell if it is a glass screen. Its a backlite modded system, correct? You'll love it!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I ordered a backlit Gameboy Pocket on eBay this weekend. I've NEVER owned a regular GameBoy/GBP/GBC. I'm excited, though now I'm opening up my wallet for yet another collection.

SHarris78

Can one of you kind souls link me to a legit (proper ASG-101 screen not custom) backlit GBA (preferably the original design not the 'flipper') on Ebay UK. There are lots available but the ones i've checked say it has a custom screen, and I don't want to spend money on one only to find i've bough one with a poor quality custom screen and not 101 original.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can one of you kind souls link me to a legit (proper ASG-101 screen not custom) backlit GBA (preferably the original design not the 'flipper') on Ebay UK. There are lots available but the ones i've checked say it has a custom screen, and I don't want to spend money on one only to find i've bough one with a poor quality custom screen and not 101 original.
It's not as if the 101 screen is actually all that good, you know.

It's still a very sluggish LCD with a very poor response time (ie - heavy ghosting). It's bright, though, but so are the custom screens. Also, the front lit GBA-SP actually destroys the AGS-101 screen when it comes to motion handling. The AGS-101 is very bright and it's true that the 001 is quite dim in comparison (due to front lighting) but it handles motion remarkably well. It's very clean and looks much better than most backlit LCDs I've seen. It's actually something I've been rather curious about as it almost suggests that the backlight is responsible for some of the response time issues.

It would be so amazing if someone engineered a low resolution OLED replacement screen for a GBA system.

Peagles

Also, I want to mention my bad experience with Rose Colored Gaming. I bought one of their Game Boy Color's (ones that were modded with a backlight and new casing). When it arrived I had to be $50-$60 in import fees (higher than usual, but probably not their fault) and the "new" screen was coated in deep, deep scratches. I'm assuming they used really cheap (soft) plastic. Then when I turned it on I saw what could possibly be the least appealing screen ever (not sure if it's due to the scratches or if the backlight is bad). The worst part is that the actual unit turns off if it gets tilted while on. Even just lifting it off a table causes the power to turn off. Basically not only if the outside pre-scratched, the internals are fucked up too.

Absolutely infuriating, especially since I'd probably need to pay similar import fees + shipping fees if I wanted to make a fuss and get a replacement. I'm not even going to attempt to replace it knowing the trouble it'd be. Isn't worth the time nor money. From what I hear their GBAs are much better (presumably because they use glass instead of plastic on the screens), but I'm not even going to risk it.

Sorry to hear :( I can't believe people here still order with them after all the horror stories. Hope you can get it sorted.

SHarris78

It's not as if the 101 screen is actually all that good, you know.

It's still a very sluggish LCD with a very poor response time (ie - heavy ghosting). It's bright, though, but so are the custom screens. Also, the front lit GBA-SP actually destroys the AGS-101 screen when it comes to motion handling. The AGS-101 is very bright and it's true that the 001 is quite dim in comparison (due to front lighting) but it handles motion remarkably well. It's very clean and looks much better than most backlit LCDs I've seen. It's actually something I've been rather curious about as it almost suggests that the backlight is responsible for some of the response time issues.

It would be so amazing if someone engineered a low resolution OLED replacement screen for a GBA system.

I'd heard the 101 doesn't handle motion that well, and an original SP would certainly be cheaper, hmm. Now i've no idea what to get :) !!

Decisions decisions........

I'd heard the 101 doesn't handle motion that well, and an original SP would certainly be cheaper, hmm. Now i've no idea what to get :) !!

It depends how much you notice this stuff. I've had a 101 for years and don't notice it at all. Also prefer it so much more over the original SP's frontlit screen.

plc268

Yea, the 101 screen has a fair amount of motion blur due to the low refresh rate. Honestly, it's something you get used to rather quickly anyway.

SHarris78

Just been looking on Ebay, what is it with 'item in perfect condition except the odd scratch on the screen'? Were people getting ready for the DS and prodding pens onto their screens!? On all the handhelds i've ever had the screen has been just as mint when I eventually sold it on as when I bought it (with the one exception of an SP I snapped in half when I was young and foolish - damn I wish still had it).

Peagles

The only way to know for absolute sure would be to source the screen yourself from a 101. Even then it could be a replacement.

maxcriden

The 101 definitely has the upper hand when viewing them both side by side, it's colors are more vibrant by far and in comparison the Micro's screen looks slightly washed out.

Make no mistake the Micro's screen is still great and it's never something I've thought about or even noticed while actually playing on it, this observation comes purely from comparing them together at the same time with the same games.

The AGS-101 is the clear winner in this contest unless you're explicitly going for the smaller form factor or better pixel density.

You learn something new every day. Thanks Wolfe! :)

injurai

Banned
My new favorite thing is syncing GB/GBC/GBA roms and saves via drop box and playing keeping the same game going across multiple systems. This feels like the future of gaming more so than any of that next-gen wankery.

Pikma

Banned
So apparently my Pokemon Emerald copy's clock battery died. Is there an easy way to replace it? Or would I be better off buying another cartdrige? It's not like the game's super hard to find or anything.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
altane-clear-green-watermark-800x500.jpg
http://asmretro.com/altane

womp

Well I think I'll take my chances then, can't stand playing it without the clock, fucking OCD would never let me.

Thank you btw!

The electrical tape method works as well, if you don't want to go the solder route. Solder is obviously a better, stronger connection however.

So, those of you have put new screens in your OG GBA. What does the little knob do on the back? The white one on the inside I mean that you have to reach through the back of the case to get to. I haven't touched it yet as my screen looks good to me and I don't want to fuck something up. But, I am curious.

So, those of you have put new screens in your OG GBA. What does the little knob do on the back? The white one on the inside I mean that you have to reach through the back of the case to get to. I haven't touched it yet as my screen looks good to me and I don't want to fuck something up. But, I am curious.

Sounds like a brightness switch. The one I bought came with one that made it a bit darker. Would have been nice for using in bed but it's way too hard to reach so I just leave at bright all the time.

Mzo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer

If it's what I'm thinking of, it adjusts the voltage for the screen. Messing with it can significantly lower your screen's life expectancy or even blow it out right away.

Oh that. Yeah that's a potentiometer. I don't think it changes the voltage, but it's used to adjust the screen. Tweak it until your screen no longer has a flicker or weird contrast.

I wouldn't worry about it burning out your screen unless you jam it all the way to the end that has no resistance.

man, I've collected so many games over the years

it might be time to make a list of my inventory

I have a good bit of original Game Boy games, but mostly NES, I guess

cool story? :p

plc268

I'm not 100% sure what that pot does, but I need to adjust it every time I do the backlight mod. By default, usually there's some distortion or "scanlines" that get introduced into the screen. I just adjust the potentiometer until those artifacts go away.

Just bit the bullet on an FF6 Advance.
Someone raised me to my max, last second, so I ended up paying $30. It's more than I'd hoped, but not as high as the Buy It Now prices.
No complaints though, I'll def. get my money's worth out of the cart.

Mzo

Our good friends at the big house of N have relayed an official comment about the contrast control that was discovered earlier this week. It's not a contrast control at all. It's a flicker control! Here's the official Nintendo statement about this...

"A positive and negative voltage controls Liquid Crystal Displays (LCDs). The "contrast control" that you are referring to is actually a flicker control. The adjustment is used to synchronize the positive and negative voltages. If these voltages are out of adjustment then the LCD will no longer respond correctly. The result will be an excess charge built up in the liquid crystal and permanently damage the LCD. The excessive charge gives the appearance of a brighter screen because the liquid crystal is not reacting properly to the voltages applied. When the adjustment of the voltages is correct the changing polarities will not allow a charge to build up, which prolongs the LCD life.

This adjustment is set by the manufacturer or must be performed by a qualified Nintendo Technician using proper equipment (Proper lighting, special tools, test equipment and software). Adjusting the flicker without the proper tools and lighting will put the voltages out of sync and may cause damage to the unit."

You're probably ok if it was just a tweak. Probably bad if you had to turn it all the way.

Peagles

Uh oh... :/

Just keep an eye on it. I been tweaking DS Lite screens in the same way for years to get rid of the flicker and never had one bomb out on me. A lot of them had to be turned a fair way too. Most of them are still in my possession too so I use them now and they're fine.

I think you'd probably see immediately if you messed it up.

Zalman

Just bit the bullet on an FF6 Advance.
Someone raised me to my max, last second, so I ended up paying $30. It's more than I'd hoped, but not as high as the Buy It Now prices.
No complaints though, I'll def. get my money's worth out of the cart.
That's a good price considering what it goes for. I would get it for $30 too if I could.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
I'll need to get hold of an AGS-101 soon, that screen looks damn good. Got a Micro and a DS Lite which is closest, but I want the SP shape.
Also, I've found Deja Vu 1&2 boxed recently for £5. I'd never though of having this game boxed, and a couple of months after that thought I've found it in a shop.

That's a good price considering what it goes for. I would get it for $30 too if I could.

I can't remember if it goes for $17 or $20 around here. I can go see if they have any copies in tomorrow if you really want one. Throw $3.00 more on top for shipping. Last time I was there they had a couple. I think they do $6-7 for Part Four, $12-13 for Five, $4-6 for 1-2.

Rich!

My Game Boy Color came today! Looked great - started up a game....and none of the buttons worked. A and B worked if you pressed into them EXTREMELY hard, and Start and Select refused to work at all. For a moment, I was pissed off that I had received yet ANOTHER faulty GBC (my first one if you remember was in a shitty third party replacement shell, and had issues with a scratched screen and broken power switch).

So I opened it up, washed the buttons and membranes, rubbed the contacts with cleaning alcohol...and voila! it works perfectly - and it's in mint condition! Not bad for £9.

Wanted a decent transparent GBC since 1998! Just waiting for my Everdrive GB now!

Grief.exe

My Game Boy Color came today! Looked great - started up a game....and none of the buttons worked. A and B worked if you pressed into them EXTREMELY hard, and Start and Select refused to work at all. For a moment, I was pissed off that I had received yet ANOTHER faulty GBC (my first one if you remember was in a shitty third party replacement shell, and had issues with a scratched screen and broken power switch).

So I opened it up, washed the buttons and membranes, rubbed the contacts with cleaning alcohol...and voila! it works perfectly - and it's in mint condition! Not bad for £9.

iZTq9KwnJu3Sz.jpg

Wanted a decent transparent GBC since 1998! Just waiting for my Everdrive GB now!

That looks excellent! Your thumb makes it look small, how are the ergonomics? I have massive hands.

maxcriden

Got a CIB Mario vs. DK GBA coming this week or next. Traded the first Layton (cart only) for it, I'm pretty psyched. It's my first CIB GBA game since I was a kid.

Zalman

I can't remember if it goes for $17 or $20 around here. I can go see if they have any copies in tomorrow if you really want one. Throw $3.00 more on top for shipping. Last time I was there they had a couple. I think they do $6-7 for Part Four, $12-13 for Five, $4-6 for 1-2.
I appreciate the help, but I'm actually European so the shipping would probably be more than that.

went to the goodwill today to look for a genesis game and ended up leaving with a gba sp (001, no charger) and pokemon emerald (dead battery) for 7.99. also got mario kart ds for 4.99.

is the 001 screen worth putting in an original gba?

Peagles

went to the goodwill today to look for a genesis game and ended up leaving with a gba sp (001, no charger) and pokemon emerald (dead battery) for 7.99. also got mario kart ds for 4.99.

is the 001 screen worth putting in an original gba?

It's the same pretty much, unless you mean putting the front light in too?

I know it's kind of a cult classic, but I finally got around to playing Astro Boy. I didn't expect to like it this much. That game is really damn good.

Mzo

Yeah, it's like a fleshed out version of the almost prototype Scary Dreams. I love how the new game+ option is covered by the story. It's great when games can do that.

Top Bottom