• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

cafemomo

lol
"it's prolly fake, but i'll still charge 20 for it"

2uFG1fr.png

I already have quite a few Game Boy games, but I decided to start collecting them again.

There a lot of games that I want and I'm missing. And I'm sure that there are a lot of great games I haven't even heard of. Though, I wonder how many I'm missing and how much more collecting I have to do. I don't even know how many Game Boy or Game Boy Color games there are.

Would any of you happen to know how many Game Boy games there are? If you don't could bootleg games like this. Or other unofficial games.

Rich!

I already have quite a few Game Boy games, but I decided to start collecting them again.

There a lot of games that I want and I'm missing. And I'm sure that there are a lot of great games I haven't even heard of. Though, I wonder how many I'm missing and how much more collecting I have to do. I don't even know how many Game Boy or Game Boy Color games there are.

Would any of you happen to know how many Game Boy games there are? If you don't could bootleg games like this. Or other unofficial games.

yep

2,053 Game Boy/Color titles were officially developed/released. good luck.

Rich!

The vast majority is also shovelware and not worth bothering with.

Yeah. You can narrow down your GB collection to a short list and you won't be missing anything. Here's my list of must-haves:

- Super Mario Land
- Super Mario Land 2
- Wario Land
- Wario Land 2
- Wario Land 3
- Donkey Kong
- Kirby's Dream Land
- Kirby's Dream Land 2
- Tetris
- Pokemon Red/Blue
- Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
- Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons
- Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest
- Pocket Bomberman
- Game and Watch Gallery 1,2
- Perfect Dark

I can't think of any others I'd like to have.

Wow, thanks for the help. That's a lot more games than I'm willing to get. And that would take me a long time, if I did. And a lot of money, especially as even with just the cartridges, a lot of games cost $10 or more.

I've mostly gotten my recent games on Amazon. At least if I'm only looking for the cartridge. Boxed games are usually too expensive for me most of the time. Though there are times when I like a game enough that I want to someday buy it again in the box. I wish I had kept the boxes of my Pokemon and other games in better condition when I was a child.

I have a little over 70 game boy games. I get the feeling I'll have a little over 300 games before I have all of the games I really care about. I don't really want to collect games I don't like, and 300 or maybe even 600 games out of a little more than 2,000 will be pretty nice.

Maybe I'll find 300 Game Boy games I care about, and 300 Game Boy Color games I care about will make 600. And I think will be really neat. That will be more than one fourth of all the games.

Rich!

If you get 300 GBC games, at least 200 of them will be licenced shit. The console was only out for just over two years, 469 games were released for it, and the majority was shovelware.

Here's some of the games I have in my collection. Sadly some of them, many of them don't have boxes.

Pokemon Red
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Red Japanese Version(or 'Aka')
Pokemon Green
Pokemon Blue Japanese Version
Pokemon Pinball
Pokemon Trading Card Game
Pokemon Trading Card Game Japanese Version
Pokemon Gold
Pokemon Gold Japanese Version
Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Silver Japanese Version
Pokemon Crystal
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge

I'd like to get some of the European versions of Pokemon games as well. That also means non-English versions of the games. I already have a lot of the Japanese versions of the games, though unfortunately not Pokemon Crystal yet. It's really cheap on Amazon, so I'm going to be buying it soon.

Balloon Kid
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Kirby's Pinball Land
Kirby's Block Ball
Kirby's Tilt 'n' Tumble
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong Land III
Donkey Kong Country
Wario Land
Wario Land II
Wario Land 3
Yoshi
Dr. Mario
Tetris
Mega Man
Mega Man II
Final Fantasy Adventure
Final Fantasy Legend
Final Fantasy Legend II
Mario Tennis
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon R
Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon
Dragon Warrior Monsters
Harvest Moon
Donkey Kong
Bubble Bobble

One game I really really want is Shantae. But it's really expensive. I also really want Trip World. Hopefully a little less hard to find, I would like Akazukin Chacha.

There's a lot I didn't mention. It would take a long time.

Yeah. You can narrow down your GB collection to a short list and you won't be missing anything. Here's my list of must-haves:

- Super Mario Land
- Super Mario Land 2
- Wario Land
- Wario Land 2
- Wario Land 3
- Donkey Kong
- Kirby's Dream Land
- Kirby's Dream Land 2
- Tetris
- Pokemon Red/Blue
- Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
- Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons
- Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest
- Pocket Bomberman
- Game and Watch Gallery 1,2
- Perfect Dark

I can't think of any others I'd like to have.

Dragon Warrior 1+2, 3, Monsters, and Monsters 2 are all great. Metroid 2 is also good, and I really like Kirby Tilt and Tumble even though its pretty basic.

Wolfe

Metal Gear Solid is top on my list. I have never seen that game out in the wild, though. Someday.

I bought a copy when it first came out, my favorite GBC game by far. Unfortunately lost track of it at some point but then found another copy at Pink Gorilla (Pink Godzilla) in Seattle a few years back. Unfortunately when I got home it turns out whoever they bought it from had broke a tab off the cart that prevented my SP or Game Boy Player from being able to play it. I don't recall the reasoning behind the mod but I looked it up online at the time. Took it back to be told "we test all our games!/no refunds!" so I told him to test this one and they couldn't get it to work, give me a break.

Got my money back and haven't seen a decent copy since.

I'm in the market for a Game Boy Light. Anyone selling or know of a good place with good-quality stock? I'd like to get the box and everything too, and at least the system in relatively good condition. eBay seems to have loose systems for $100-120 and boxed versions for around double that, with SEs (Astro Boy, Clear Yellow, etc) around $400. Those prices seem about right?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Lucky. I have three places around with a pretty huge selection of GameBoy stuff, still never seen it. I thought for sure I'd find one at the Midwest Gaming Classic a few weeks ago, but nope. Really wasn't that much GB stuff there in general. Someday I will play that game.

It's a legit good game. Console level. It's also cool to hear chiptune-style MGS sneaking music.

I'm in the market for a Game Boy Light. Anyone selling or know of a good place with good-quality stock? I'd like to get the box and everything too, and at least the system in relatively good condition. eBay seems to have loose systems for $100-120 and boxed versions for around double that, with SEs (Astro Boy, Clear Yellow, etc) around $400. Those prices seem about right?

Seems pricey in a pie in the sky sense. Sure people are listing them at insane prices, but is anyone buying?

Check Yahoo Japan Auctions for better pricing on Game Boy Light hardware.

Seems pricey in a pie in the sky sense. Sure people are listing them at insane prices, but is anyone buying?

Check Yahoo Japan Auctions for better pricing on Game Boy Light hardware.
Ah, ya know, I'm a frequent Tenso user and didn't even think to go Yahoo Japan. There aren't many but the prices are much better. The LEs are still crazy-expensive and eBay has more with the packaging, but I think Yahoo Japan is definitely the way to go. Thank you!

Ah, ya know, I'm a frequent Tenso user and didn't even think to go Yahoo Japan. There aren't many but the prices are much better. The LEs are still crazy-expensive and eBay has more with the packaging, but I think Yahoo Japan is definitely the way to go. Thank you!

Yeah, unfortunately the LEs are truly limited. I know the Tezuka and Pokemon Center GBLs are only around 7,000 units each. The Famicom GBL was around 1000 if I remember correctly. I have always wanted the transparent yellow GBL that was exclusive to Japan Toys R Us also. I don't know the quantity that had, but I see that one for sale less than any of the others.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Zalman

Figured I'd show my current collection! It's grown a lot over the past few months. Very happy with it.

GB/GBC:

IMG_2011_zps43526628.jpg

GBA:

IMG_2021_zps042e62a1.jpg

Spines:

IMG_2023_zpsbdf6ac3a.jpg

IMG_2024_zps2cf87272.jpg

Yeah, unfortunately the LEs are truly limited. I know the Tezuka and Pokemon Center GBLs are only around 7,000 units each. The Famicom GBL was around 1000 if I remember correctly. I have always wanted the transparent yellow GBL that was exclusive to Japan Toys R Us also. I don't know the quantity that had, but I see that one for sale less than any of the others.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Yeah, that transparent yellow is beautiful! One is up on eBay right now for $452 which is a bit much to pay for a novelty. Do you have any experience using Buyee for Yahoo Japan Auctions? Or does anyone else, for that matter?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Fudge.

Bought Pokemon Platinum from eBay. Specifically asked seller if it was authentic or not too.

Bootleg :/

Front label has the correct code: NTR-CPUP-EUR
The back however should have the serial code CPUPN0J22, but instead it has the dreaded CP3EN0J09 code. That and the "NTR-005 PAT. PEND." text has the thicker font and deeper embossing which appears on pirates.

Borman

Yeah, that transparent yellow is beautiful! One is up on eBay right now for $452 which is a bit much to pay for a novelty. Do you have any experience using Buyee for Yahoo Japan Auctions? Or does anyone else, for that matter?

I personally have been using FromJapan for Yahoo Japan, other than one issue where they threw out a box (which Im starting to suspect was the seller's fault), its been great, and Ive spent hundreds there. Feel free to PM if you want a reference link, didnt want to be one of those guys who sneaks one into a post. It gets us both 300 FJ points, which is basically 300 yen, better than nothing!

Grief.exe

Fudge.

Bought Pokemon Platinum from eBay. Specifically asked seller if it was authentic or not too.

Bootleg :/

Front label has the correct code: NTR-CPUP-EUR
The back however should have the serial code CPUPN0J22, but instead it has the dreaded CP3EN0J09 code. That and the "NTR-005 PAT. PEND." text has the thicker font and deeper embossing which appears on pirates.

Post pictures! Open it up as well so we can see the inside.

I'm sorry that happened to you. :<

I don't know much about official copies. And now I'm worried. I don't want to accidentally get bootleg copies of Pokemon, either. And it sounds like it's really common.

Grief.exe

I'm sorry that happened to you. :<

I don't know much about official copies. And now I'm worried. I don't want to accidentally get bootleg copies of Pokemon, either. And it sounds like it's really common.

GBA is far easier to tell than DS

The cover art on the cart is generally wrong as well.

ib2xyVsxkPHkeM.jpg

maxcriden

Awesome collect, Zalman! You've got some great stuff there. I'm really psyched to check out those Game & Watch collection games.

hirokazu

Front seems perfectly fine and that's what was shown in the auction. Back however shows the wrong font and code.

EDIT: Not opening until I settle with seller. It worked on a (euro) DSi at least.
You can tell from the front label that it's a fake - the racetrack around the Nintendo logo is too thin and The Pokémon Company logo is in the wrong font.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
You can tell from the front label that it's a fake - the racetrack around the Nintendo logo is too thin and The Pokémon Company logo is in the wrong font.

Yeah, I see that now when I compare it to a pic of a legit version :|

finally got my copy of Advance Wars 2 Black Hole Rising today, been waiting for that one :)

(yes i know it's a pretty common game, still awesome) and it's genuine as well so there's that

I see there are dealers on eBay who claim to have modded original non-SP 2001 model
GBAs with AGS-101 backlights. Anyone here have any knowledge or experience with these?

Peagles

I see there are dealers on eBay who claim to have modded original non-SP 2001 model
GBAs with AGS-101 backlights. Anyone here have any knowledge or experience with these?

You mean a 101 screen in an original GBA? A bunch of us have been getting into this lately, check back a few pages and you'll find a lot of people buying pre-built ones or modding their own. It's my favourite mod at the moment!

You mean a 101 screen in an original GBA? A bunch of us have been getting into this lately, check back a few pages and you'll find a lot of people buying pre-built ones or modding their own. It's my favourite mod at the moment!

Yeah. I definitely like it more than my SPs. OG is just more comfortable. Not that the SP is bad or anything, just not as good. Love my modded OG.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to get one of those so I can just go with AAs if I'm ever going to securely enjoy my GBA library. The new SP battery I bought last month has already started to fail on me.

I thought I had a good battery because it would last all night in sleep mode and at one point for a final test, I sat it on a shelf and let it run all day on brightest setting while displaying the Metroid Zero Mission attract screens and it lasted about nine hours before finally dying. So based on that, I thought I had a winner but looks like I was wrong because as of tonight the battery will only charge for about one hour.

Can these mods display the same dual brightness settings and pixel density/clarity as AGS 101s? I seriously want to buy one, I'm getting Mother 3 soon and need a reliable system to play it on.

Edit: Ok, so I read up on these. I want one of those AGS 101 modded systems. Badly. I can't solder though and don't care how easy the solder is, can't do that. If someone (like Peagles, maybe? :) ) could hook me up with one of those pre-shaved GBA AGS 101 screen mod units, already put together and soldered for the brightest setting (no need for a switch, who need the dimmer setting anyways?), I would gladly buy one as long as the price wasn't exhorbitant.

Peagles

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to get one of those so I can just go with AAs if I'm ever going to securely enjoy my GBA library. The new SP battery I bought last month has already started to fail on me.

I thought I had a good battery because it would last all night in sleep mode and at one point for a final test, I sat it on a shelf and let it run all day on brightest setting while displaying the Metroid Zero Mission attract screens and it lasted about nine hours before finally dying. So based on that, I thought I had a winner but looks like I was wrong because as of tonight the battery will only charge for about one hour.

Can these mods display the same dual brightness settings and pixel density/clarity as AGS 101s? I seriously want to buy one, I'm getting Mother 3 soon and need a reliable system to play it on.

When you do the mod, you can leave it as is, connect a wire between the ribbon cable and a point on the motherboard that increases the brightness a bit, or connect the wire to another point that increases the brightness a lot. I usually just connect to the brightest point but I don't see why you couldn't put in a switch to change between the three.

Edit: I'd gladly help out, but since I'm in New Zealand shipping probably would make it exorbitant. Here's the link to the kit I got for myself: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181260767868 and I picked up a GBA locally for <$10. If you don't know anyone who can do that one solder dot for you, I'm sure there are probably folk here who live closer to you who can help out for minimal shipping fees, or might even live in your area.

When you do the mod, you can leave it as is, connect a wire between the ribbon cable and a point on the motherboard that increases the brightness a bit, or connect the wire to another point that increases the brightness a lot. I usually just connect to the brightest point but I don't see why you couldn't put in a switch to change between the three.

Edit: I'd gladly help out, but since I'm in New Zealand shipping probably would make it exorbitant. Here's the link to the kit I got for myself: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181260767868 and I picked up a GBA locally for <$10. If you don't know anyone who can do that one solder dot for you, I'm sure there are probably folk here who live closer to you who can help out for minimal shipping fees, or might even live in your area.

I think if possible I'd like to go with you as you obviously have a lot of experience with these already and I want this to go as smoothly and professionally as possible so I can finally and definitively put an end to my GBA system needs. If you don't mind, PM me and we can discuss the details. I'm in the U.S. and import a lot of stuff so I'm used to sometimes not always great shipping. If anything I'll let you know what I think of your offer. Sorry if this seems sudden but I want one if these babies badly now.

Wolfe

I think if possible I'd like to go with you as you obviously have a lot of experience with these already and I want this to go as smoothly and professionally as possible so I can finally and definitively put an end to my GBA system needs. If you don't mind, PM me and we can discuss the details. I'm in the U.S. and import a lot of stuff so I'm used to sometimes not always great shipping. If anything I'll let you know what I think of your offer. Sorry if this seems sudden but I want one if these babies badly now.

My soldering iron is packed away in storage at the moment (and I have no idea what box it's in) or I would offer to help you out. I look forward to doing one of these up myself but don't have the spare cash to blow at the moment, I loved putting an afterburner (frontlight) in my original GBA but a backlit screen blows those out of the water.

Credo

Seeing these collection pics with all the CIB games makes me incredibly envious, but I already have so many games that are cart only that it would be insane to try to replace them with CIB versions. Feels bad, man.

My soldering iron is packed away in storage at the moment (and I have no idea what box it's in) or I would offer to help you out. I look forward to doing one of these up myself but don't have the spare cash to blow at the moment, I loved putting an afterburner (frontlight) in my original GBA but a backlit screen blows those out of the water.

Thanks! Fortunately Peagles is on the case now. I may never have to worry about stupid lithium ion batteries again (for GBA anyways :/ )

Top Bottom