• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Wife had a business thing out of town tonight, I tagged along to go shopping:

IORA1VZ.jpg

Have both Summon Nights now, so that's pleases me. Almost missed Gargoyle's Quest since it was in a plastic case, my eyes glanced right over it the first time. I bet the Batman game sucks, but whatever.

Gargoyle's Quest is phenomenal. It's in my pantheon of monochrome GB greats.

I've never played that Batman game, but I have a hard time thinking you could ever go wrong with Sunsoft Batman.

There's still about 1/7th of the screen unused if you combine the gaps on the bottom and top. Surely that must drive you crazy if you're adamant about screen fill.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Was just playing Xtreme 2 on a GBC today and once again I can't help but notice how wonderfully smooth the screen refreshes on those non-backlit screens. I'd love to understand more about the technology used in GBC and original GBA screens. Unlike modern LCDs there is absolutely NO loss in detail or resolution while moving. No smearing, blur or ghosting at all. It is 100% sharp in motion very much akin to a CRT. Naturally, the lack of a backlight sucks (though the original SP enjoys a front light) but the motion is just incredible.

It really seems as if motion resolution issues are caused by the backlight, then. Anyone else notice this?

Unfortunately this only applies to the GBC and GBA (as well as the NGPC and Wonderswan Crystal). Older Gameboy systems DO smear in motion.

Man, if only actual backlight LCD monitors and TVs could look this good in motion with 60 fps material.

FSLink

Banned
That stretching is horrendous. :(

Started playing with the Everdrive and the Pokemon randomizer program. I've used this before but it's something else playing it on actual hardware.

OmahaG8

So many feels. I stupidly sold my GBA and GBA SP (100) many years ago. Looking to find a CIB in box SP AGS-101 recently, and I had come to a few realizations.

One of them being people apparently love to put on new/cheap plastic shells and "refurbished" units - eBay is loaded with them. The other being it was going to be extremely difficult to find one that met my standards (mint) with the box in good shape, yada, yada.

So I just bit the bullet and bought one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAMEBOY-ADV...onsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item1e83aa914b

Got it in ~3 days from Istanbul and just opened it a bit ago. Sooooo good. So very excited to play GBA again without using a DS.

^

Niiiice.

I put a new shell on one of my SPs that was really beat up when I bought it. The only thing about the shell that was shitty is that the speakers holes have some plastic over them in spots:

Need to get a needle or something and just push that crap out. Outside of that it seems like a good shell. The buttons it came with were absolute shit, though. Easy enough fix, just used all my original buttons.

Grizzo

Okay so RoseColoredGaming just teased these modded GBA:

DKKd856.jpg

yvHIkPe.jpg

I think they're backlited too. don't know how reliable those are but damn, that really makes me want to cave in once they're available...

maxcriden

DKKd856.jpg

yvHIkPe.jpg

I think they're backlited too. don't know how reliable those are but damn, that really makes me want to cave in once they're available...

I would just say you've gotta be careful with RCG according to some in this thread.

Really? I've lusted after their stuff for ages but haven't pulled the trigger. Shame to hear they have issues. Those two above are gorgeous...

Kainazzo

Really? I've lusted after their stuff for ages but haven't pulled the trigger. Shame to hear they have issues. Those two above are gorgeous...

I was never able to fix the interlacing issues on mine. I could adjust the potentiometer and almost get it clear, but it would always return and phase shift. A shame; the transparent blue shell with original grey buttons looks great.

^

Niiiice.

I put a new shell on one of my SPs that was really beat up when I bought it. The only thing about the shell that was shitty is that the speakers holes have some plastic over them in spots:

Need to get a needle or something and just push that crap out. Outside of that it seems like a good shell. The buttons it came with were absolute shit, though. Easy enough fix, just used all my original buttons.

May I ask you where you bought a GBA SP AGS-101 shell from?? I recently got a cheap GBA SP 101, the screen is prestine but the shell has seen better days.

Also how difficult was to move everything?

Re: Rose Colored Gaming - I don't know if he's gotten better with it, but trying to get a response from him with my order was a little exhausting. When I ordered the GBA done up in original GB colors, it was listed as "In Stock". Bit the bullet, saw the charge, got a shipping number and then..nothing for a few days. After sending a couple of e-mails his way, the shipping number finally updated and I got my GBA.

The only thing I've noticed is that the speaker sounds a little tinny, but I don't know if that's Super Mario World on the GBA not sounding as good as the SNES version.

And man, I am tempted by that SFC version.

Anyone knows if the Housing shells for GBA SP are the same as SP 101??? Im about to purchase one off of eBay.

Thanks

Same. I got mine off of ebay. They send you a replacement sticker to put on the bottom, but I was able to get my original sticker that shows it's a 101 off and put on the new shell pretty easily.

It's kind of a paint getting apart and back together your first time, but once you do it once it's quick and easy. Use your original buttons, the replacements sucked so I had to take it apart again to put in the old ones.

There are youtube videos out there showing how to take it all apart.

Same. I got mine off of ebay. They send you a replacement sticker to put on the bottom, but I was able to get my original sticker that shows it's a 101 off and put on the new shell pretty easily.

It's kind of a paint getting apart and back together your first time, but once you do it once it's quick and easy. Use your original buttons, the replacements sucked so I had to take it apart again to put in the old ones.

There are youtube videos out there showing how to take it all apart.

I got a beat up Pearl Blue and im transferring it to a Black Case I just bought on eBay, wonder how the white buttons will look in it, hopefully not too funky.

Thanks guys.

I was never able to fix the interlacing issues on mine. I could adjust the potentiometer and almost get it clear, but it would always return and phase shift. A shame; the transparent blue shell with original grey buttons looks great.

Re: Rose Colored Gaming - I don't know if he's gotten better with it, but trying to get a response from him with my order was a little exhausting. When I ordered the GBA done up in original GB colors, it was listed as "In Stock". Bit the bullet, saw the charge, got a shipping number and then..nothing for a few days. After sending a couple of e-mails his way, the shipping number finally updated and I got my GBA.

The only thing I've noticed is that the speaker sounds a little tinny, but I don't know if that's Super Mario World on the GBA not sounding as good as the SNES version.

And man, I am tempted by that SFC version.
Got ya, well that kind of stinks on both counts. As far as the GBA speaker being tinny, that's just how it is. It's kind of a cheap speaker, and those games don't sound great to begin with.

Got this gem in the mail today.

8TvflE8l.jpg

Now the only thing keeping me from having a CIB set of all the JPN and US Pokemon GB/GBC games is a box for Blue.

I've got all the US GBA games CIB, but I haven't tried getting the JPN GBA games. Might have to start picking those up.

Peagles

I wish they'd just sell parts so I could get a nice shell from them and do the screen mod myself. Then I wouldn't have to worry about their work being subpar.

I wish they'd just sell parts so I could get a nice shell from them and do the screen mod myself. Then I wouldn't have to worry about their work being subpar.

they do sell DIY part, right? Did they stop recently?

regardless, it's cheaper to get them through zerey

Peagles

they do sell DIY part, right? Did they stop recently?

regardless, it's cheaper to get them through zerey

I think it's only select parts and they are overpriced. I'd like to get the shells though I don't think they sell them separate.

Honestly I'm thinking of just getting a 3D printer when the time is right and making some of this stuff myself.

I think it's only select parts and they are overpriced. I'd like to get the shells though I don't think they sell them separate.

Honestly I'm thinking of just getting a 3D printer when the time is right and making some of this stuff myself.

3D printer would be way too rough to make a good shell. The resolution just isn't there and it would feel and look terrible.

RCG actually has details on their blog on how to make your own repro shell/parts: http://rosecoloredgaming.wordpress....ow-to-and-restoration-guides-3-casting-parts/

EDIT: I guess that's only for smaller parts and might not be applicable for a full shell.

Wolfe

Honestly I would just recommend getting some vinyl paint and painting an original shell and the buttons yourself (assuming you can find the colors you want). If you're comfortable enough with taking one apart already painting it shouldn't be an issue, and you don't have to worry about RCG quality issues.

Peagles

That's what I meant by "when the time is right" so when the quality is better.

There's other custom parts I want to make though too, like a good bottom shell for half q DS Lite to use it as a GBA, among other things.

I'd love to give painting a go. Might look into it soon. Problem is I live in an apartment so I don't have many places I can make a mess in.

Wolfe

I'd love to give painting a go. Might look into it soon. Problem is I live in an apartment so I don't have many places I can make a mess in.

You could always get a large cardboard box, line it with newspaper and use something inside it to prop the pieces on while you paint them. You can pick up small cans of vinyl spray paint that are easy to not cause a mess with and the only parts that will require a decent amount of paint are the shell itself, the buttons are so small they don't require much. Not a hard task to not make a mess with the right prep work, I had to paint my SP in my apt.

prateeko

So I'm not technically advanced, but I have a couple of Suicine GBAs (both okay, one with a better front, another with a superior back) and managed to get ahold of a legit GBA SP 101 with a broken hinge but it turns on fine (I managed to scratch the outer edge of the screen when taking it apart but only on the bezel) and it's ripe for a transplant to a AGS-001.

But I would almost certainly screw it up.

Anyone know who I could talk to and have them do this for me? I'd love a GBA with a 101 screen in it since the form factor of the SP-101 is lacking.

So many feels. I stupidly sold my GBA and GBA SP (100) many years ago. Looking to find a CIB in box SP AGS-101 recently, and I had come to a few realizations.

One of them being people apparently love to put on new/cheap plastic shells and "refurbished" units - eBay is loaded with them. The other being it was going to be extremely difficult to find one that met my standards (mint) with the box in good shape, yada, yada.

So I just bit the bullet and bought one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAMEBOY-ADV...onsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item1e83aa914b

Got it in ~3 days from Istanbul and just opened it a bit ago. Sooooo good. So very excited to play GBA again without using a DS.
Damn, I really like that green. My 101 has been having issues lately. Evem on full charge, for some reason when I turn the power switch on it won't come on. I have to do it a couple of times. Other times barely touching the power switch whilst it's on will restart the system as if I quickly turned it off and on again. Think something is loose there. I'm going to see if Nintendo UK will fix it for me, hope they do even though this brighter screen one was never released here.

I've seen a couple from Turkey on sale here on eBay, but not that green one. Think I'd be tempted to buy it.

OmahaG8

Damn, I really like that green. My 101 has been having issues lately. Evem on full charge, for some reason when I turn the power switch on it won't come on. I have to do it a couple of times. Other times barely touching the power switch whilst it's on will restart the system as if I quickly turned it off and on again. Think something is loose there. I'm going to see if Nintendo UK will fix it for me, hope they do even though this brighter screen one was never released here.

I've seen a couple from Turkey on sale here on eBay, but not that green one. Think I'd be tempted to buy it.

Crazy - I had seen several Pearl Blue and Pearl Green units for sale the last week. Looks like they're all gone.

Still has 2 gold though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAMEBOY-ADV...onsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item1e89821b38

Slightly more expensive because.. gold, I guess. Ha.

Also - good thing I found my DS fat charger. My new 101 came with some PAL-thing charger.

lunch_box

That sfc theme gba looks all kinds of awesome. I imagine they will both cost in excess of $160, which I just can't justify paying.

Peagles

Looks very much like it's based on the Wii Famicom controller box. I'm also assuming that is what the SFC box looked like back in the day, but I've never actually seen it so that may not be true.

Yeh it's like a miniature version of my SFC box. I love it!

Mzo

The box looks amazing. I don't like the colored buttons on the system. They're too far apart to invite the comparison. Now it just looks like a clown shit on it.

Gameboy415

DKKd856.jpg

yvHIkPe.jpg

Oh man....these look fantastic but I'm sure they'll cost an arm & a leg. :(

Top Bottom