• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Wolfe

I'll have to make myself a game store style display case since I never bothered keeping the boxes, I'll even have a key to open it like they do in the stores. That way none of my friends can play my games but they can sure stare at them all they want!

I would never do this, far too much work.

came across some good GB and GBA games at goodwill today. Pokemon Red, Zelda LTTP GBA, Yoshi's Island GBA all for $2.

Also found a GBA SP 101 for $7 that's in pretty bad shape on the outside. It has someone's name engraved on the top shell.

Am I better off selling this one on ebay and using the funds towards one of the pre-modded GBA 001 models with the better screen, or try to do it myself?

I have yet another SP 101 that actually has the back shell of a red normal SP because i dropped it once and the original back cracked apart. I was thinking of selling both of those to fund a modded original GBA.

Grief.exe

came across some good GB and GBA games at goodwill today. Pokemon Red, Zelda LTTP GBA, Yoshi's Island GBA all for $2.

Also found a GBA SP 101 for $7 that's in pretty bad shape on the outside. It has someone's name engraved on the top shell.

Am I better off selling this one on ebay and using the funds towards one of the pre-modded GBA 001 models with the better screen, or try to do it myself?

I have yet another SP 101 that actually has the back shell of a red normal SP because i dropped it once and the original back cracked apart. I was thinking of selling both of those to fund a modded original GBA.

You can get shells for the SP off of ebay, or you can sand the one you have down and repaint it quite easily.

what's the best way to play GBA games on a TV via component or better? GameCube is out of the question, I'm not dropping the money on those cables when I already own a Wii with component. I'd prefer a way that has me using my original cartridges. Is the Retron 5 the only solution? If so, then I guess I'll just go the emulation route on my OG Xbox or Wii because I just use my original consoles for all of the other consoles...

Peagles

what's the best way to play GBA games on a TV via component or better? GameCube is out of the question, I'm not dropping the money on those cables when I already own a Wii with component. I'd prefer a way that has me using my original cartridges. Is the Retron 5 the only solution? If so, then I guess I'll just go the emulation route on my OG Xbox or Wii because I just use my original consoles for all of the other consoles...

If you're PAL and your TV has SCART you could do RGB SCART on your GC. It's gorgeous, just not progressive scan.

Otherwise yeh I think your only option for real carts is the Retron 5. I'm not sure how well Xbox emulates GBA but the little I've tried it on Wii it has been pretty terrible.

If you're PAL and your TV has SCART you could do RGB SCART on your GC. It's gorgeous, just not progressive scan.

Otherwise yeh I think your only option for real carts is the Retron 5. I'm not sure how well Xbox emulates GBA but the little I've tried it on Wii it has been pretty terrible.

I don't have a GameCube (and I'm not going to buy one since I already own a Wii with component cables) and I'm in Canada, so I'll be dealing with NTSC signals. I do have a RGB to Component converter though.

If you really are willing to put in the work, you could get a GBA-TV converter and mod it for RGB.

Please elaborate, I was thinking of buying a scart to hdmi converter for other consoles and thought an snes SCART would theoretically work with the AV out of the GC, but your saying NTSC GC doesn't output RGB?

Man :(

Unfortunately not.

NTSC GCN does S-Video but not RGB
PAL GCN does RGB but not S-Video

The best quality video you'll get from an NTSC GCN is component, assuming you have the expensive Component or D-sub cables and it's one of the early units with "digital av out".

Peagles

Unfortunately not.

The best quality video you'll get from an NTSC GCN is component, assuming you have the expensive Component or D-sub cables and it's one of the early units with "digital av out".

This is correct. However I want to say I'm happy to hook up NTSC people with a PAL GC if they are ever after RGB in a big way. I've done it before for members here and happy to do it again.

The_Afroman

This is correct. However I want to say I'm happy to hook up NTSC people with a PAL GC if they are ever after RGB in a big way. I've done it before for members here and happy to do it again.

Are PAL GC, can they do 60 hz? Can they do progressive scan? or on RGB?

Peagles

Are PAL GC, can they do 60 hz? Can they do progressive scan? or on RGB?

They can do 60Hz with PAL and NTSC games, and if you have component cables they can do progressive scan with NTSC games (some PAL games can also be forced if you have a modchip). RGB SCART is not capable of 480p.

Unfortunately not.

Damn. Wonder why Ninty opted not to have the RGB feature built in...probably because the US didnt have SCART but I digress neither did any of the other consoles that released over here with the option! Lol.

Anyways thanks for elucidating me as always Sixteen-bit.

d+pad

Hello :) Kind of a strange question, I guess, but I'm wondering if any of you know of any particular forums/sites that GB collectors like myself may want to check out in order to buy/trade Japanese GB games, especially ones that are on the rare side.

I of course keep an eye on eBay and even Yahoo Japan Auctions, but the games I'm looking to buy are pretty uncommon (as in, they rarely, if ever, seem to be put up for sale) these days, even on YJA. As such, I wonder if it might be worth checking out some forums/sites to see if other collectors may be willing to give up (for lack of a better word) their copies eventually. The problem is, I have no idea which forums/sites to check out -- other than maybe racketboy.com's forums.

Anyway, if any of you have any suggestions--for me or others like me--I'd greatly appreciate it!

Mzo

You can always check out Nintendo Age and try to connect with some other collectors out there. They're pretty hardcore.

d+pad

You can always check out Nintendo Age and try to connect with some other collectors out there. They're pretty hardcore.

Thanks, Mzo, I'll check it out! I've been a longtime collector of games for other retro systems (Famicom and PC Engine, mainly) and only really started collecting games for the GB about a year ago, but now that I've acquired a good chunk of the games I'm interested in I'm having a hard time finding a few, rare/rare-ish stragglers :)

Mzo

I don't think the Game Boy scene is all that big yet, and I especially doubt too many people are into the obscure Japan-only exclusives.

Keep posting them, though, they're super interesting.

d+pad

I don't think the Game Boy scene is all that big yet, and I especially doubt too many people are into the obscure Japan-only exclusives.

Keep posting them, though, they're super interesting.

You're not kidding (about the Game Boy scene seemingly not being all that big yet)! I mean, I'm not too shocked that some of these games rarely, if ever, seem to show up on North American eBay, but they seem nearly as rare on Yahoo Auctions Japan. I guess even in Japan the GB is kind of the "forgotten handheld" when it comes to game collecting. Anyway, I guess I'll just have to continue checking out each site every day plus hounding the couple of contacts I have in Japan to find the remaining games on my GB wish list :)

Just won the FAMICOM Micro I was talking about earlier. I paid $125 for the system and 16 games (Including Pokémon Sapphire, FFT, and Zelda). Feel like it was a good deal. System is in great shape. I'll post pics when it comes in.

maxcriden

Just won the FAMICOM Micro I was talking about earlier. I paid $125 for the system and 16 games (Including Pokémon Sapphire, FFT, and Zelda). Feel like it was a good deal. System is in great shape. I'll post pics when it comes in.

Awesome deal. Congrats! (BTW, I don't know which Zelda you got but I still have LTTP/4S for sale if you want to hit me up via PM.)

Peagles

Installed a GBA backlight screen in an OG model and it's kinda dark...any way to fix this?

Did you connect the wire between the ribbon cable and the motherboard?

Edit, found a pic:
gba101_zpsd683d845.jpg

Peagles

Yeah. Installation is fine. It's the contrast that's the issue

The other red circle shows the potentiometer. You can adjust this very slightly to fix some types of darkness and interlacing. Don't turn it too far though. If that doesn't fix it, you may have a bad screen or connection. Mines as bright as my SP 101, for example.

Dagon

Nice. That seems like a good price, especially considering you got some decent games.

I have a like-new Famicom Mini in my eBay Watch List I'm this close to pulling the trigger on, even though it's nearly £130.

I decided to order another copy of Pokemon Blue online recently.

It said it works, and I hope it's a real copy. But it has problems that my other copies of Pokemon don't have. For instance, if the cartridge is even slightly tapped or touched when playing, it stops. It glitches for a second and the whole screen goes blank. Kind of like if it has reset, but it doesn't reset, the screen just goes blank.

And then when I was trying to play it and get my starter Pokemon from Professor Oak, it glitched out. So I don't think I can progress through the game like this, but I'd like to be able to fix it if I could. Does anyone know what might be wrong with the copy of Pokemon Blue I ordered? And do you think it might be fixable?

I've never tried opening up a Game Boy game before, but it might be worth it if I can fix the game.

Rich!

The other red circle shows the potentiometer. You can adjust this very slightly to fix some types of darkness and interlacing. Don't turn it too far though. If that doesn't fix it, you may have a bad screen or connection. Mines as bright as my SP 101, for example.

that pot doesn't do shit for me. I'm thinking it's a third party screen - doesnt seem as good as the 101.

Either way, it was destined for ebay anyway, so off it goes

lewisgone

I decided to order another copy of Pokemon Blue online recently.

It said it works, and I hope it's a real copy. But it has problems that my other copies of Pokemon don't have. For instance, if the cartridge is even slightly tapped or touched when playing, it stops. It glitches for a second and the whole screen goes blank. Kind of like if it has reset, but it doesn't reset, the screen just goes blank.

And then when I was trying to play it and get my starter Pokemon from Professor Oak, it glitched out. So I don't think I can progress through the game like this, but I'd like to be able to fix it if I could. Does anyone know what might be wrong with the copy of Pokemon Blue I ordered? And do you think it might be fixable?

I've never tried opening up a Game Boy game before, but it might be worth it if I can fix the game.

I'm not sure if it would cause the screen to blank out but it's worth a look - could there be a chance that it's a result of a botched save data battery replacement? If the person who previously owned the game replaced the battery so they could sell it as working, they may have not done a very good job...maybe check the battery inside and see how it is connected. If it's connected through electrical tape for instance that would explain why moving the cartridge causes issues.

This is just a complete guess though. I don't even know if losing connection to the battery affects the game, only that it means it can't be saved.

Peagles

Here's a few images of the GBA screen for reference:

It's far darker than my old 101 used to be and the response time doesn't seem anywhere near as good. hm.

Damn. Just booted mine up for comparison. I'll add a pic tomorrow but yeh mine isn't anywhere near that dark. It's almost like the colours are too saturated/contrast is all wrong on yours. That sucks man.

Where did you source the screen from, out of interest?

Rich!

Damn. Just booted mine up for comparison. I'll add a pic tomorrow but yeh mine isn't anywhere near that dark. It's almost like the colours are too saturated/contrast is all wrong on yours. That sucks man.

Where did you source the screen from, out of interest?

Ebay, of course.

I've put the console onto eBay but I've started it with a low price and I've made clear that the image is dark, supplying various photos to show it.

Just bought a Glacier back lit original GBA off Ebay today, im seriously super excited for it to show up eventually, i loved the way the old ones felt and not super into the SP in terms of ergonomics haha

Het_Nkik

Any import recommendations for any of the GB systems? I just won a Yahoo Auctions Japan auction for an NGCP game and I want to try to get at least another game in there so I'm not paying that deputy service shipping price for one game.

Imports I already have:

For the Frog the Bell Tolls
Picross 2
Mobile Golf
Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart
Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting!
Mother 3
Rhythm Tengoku
Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest: Shōgeki no Shippo Dan

Borman

Picked up FF Legends 2 while I was out today. Really would like to grab a copy of Zelda DX, but they just had a poor condition Links Awakening, non-DX, so it wasn't worth it.

OnPoint

So the GBA I ordered from Rose Colored Gaming that I had to send back finally returned. And it works perfectly.

It took a while, but so did the initial order, so I wasn't shocked. I accidentally sent it with the game still in the slot and they sent that back with it, too. Just wanted to report a wonderful customer service experience to you guys.

Het_Nkik

Kuru Kuru Kururin and its sequel

I see the first game got a PAL release so I'll get that version since I get English when I can, but I just found a buy it now on Yahoo Auctions for a complete copy of Kururin Paradise for only 450 yen ($4.44)! (Compare that to $25 being the cheapest for a boxed copy on eBay.)

So I snagged that. Thanks a bunch.

maxcriden

So the GBA I ordered from Rose Colored Gaming that I had to send back finally returned. And it works perfectly.

It took a while, but so did the initial order, so I wasn't shocked. I accidentally sent it with the game still in the slot and they sent that back with it, too. Just wanted to report a wonderful customer service experience to you guys.

That's awesome! I'm really glad to hear it.

Top Bottom