• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Wolfe

Oh man....these look fantastic but I'm sure they'll cost an arm & a leg. :(

Once I get enough spare cash to warrant buying everything I'll mod up an old GBA with a backlit screen and paint it the same theme as that SNES one (assuming I can find the right colors) and post it here to see what you guys think. While those RCG ones look rad they look fairly easy to accomplish.

I'm looking forward to folks posting retron5 pics of OG game boy titles stretched to 16:9. Shit'll be hilarious.

I'm sorry. said:
nRspZxl.png

womp

Once I get enough spare cash to warrant buying everything I'll mod up an old GBA with a backlit screen and paint it the same theme as that SNES one (assuming I can find the right colors) and post it here to see what you guys think. While those RCG ones look rad they don't look fairly easy to accomplish.

You mean 'don't look fairly hard' to accomplish? ;)

Samer

I like the work RCG does. True, prices are crazy and sometimes he doesn't hit the right spot (that SNES color scheme on a GBA is quite awful to my taste) but he's got nice ideas. It's a pity that he can't manage his business and has unhappy customers. I'm thinking on creating something like that myself, retro consoles with a touch, and I'll definitely try not to make the same mistakes as him.

prateeko

So I'm not technically advanced, but I have a couple of Suicine GBAs (both okay, one with a better front, another with a superior back) and managed to get ahold of a legit GBA SP 101 with a broken hinge but it turns on fine (I managed to scratch the outer edge of the screen when taking it apart but only on the bezel) and it's ripe for a transplant to a AGS-001.

But I would almost certainly screw it up.

Anyone know who I could talk to and have them do this for me? I'd love a GBA with a 101 screen in it since the form factor of the SP-101 is lacking.

Sorry to bring it up again (ended up being posted at the bottom of the last page), but for RCG type of work (taking a legit SP101 screen and putting it into an OG GBA) does anyone know who could do it for a reasonable price? I'd love to get a fully functioning 101 screen into a Suicune GB...

Wolfe

You mean 'don't look fairly hard' to accomplish? ;)

Nice catch >.>

Sorry to bring it up again (ended up being posted at the bottom of the last page), but for RCG type of work (taking a legit SP101 screen and putting it into an OG GBA) does anyone know who could do it for a reasonable price? I'd love to get a fully functioning 101 screen into a Suicune GB...

I apologize if this isn't the answer you're looking for but I have no idea outside of DIY.

I found some one on ebay who apparently is offering to do it, but 1) It's $75 and 2) I have no idea how reputable they are, so you might end up getting screwed.

Crazy - I had seen several Pearl Blue and Pearl Green units for sale the last week. Looks like they're all gone.

Still has 2 gold though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAMEBOY-ADV...onsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item1e89821b38

Slightly more expensive because.. gold, I guess. Ha.

Also - good thing I found my DS fat charger. My new 101 came with some PAL-thing charger.
Is the one you bought the same green as this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Ga...0892415751?pt=Video_Games&hash=item20cdd7a707

prateeko

You would be better off just buying an entirely modded unit for that price...

I bought one from this guy and he does great work...$87 shipped. He puts up various colors randomly.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/compu_repai...me=STRK:MEWAX:IT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Actually, I could buy that and swap my Suicune shell onto a pre modded unit...

How did it turn out and does it have any interlacing issues that RCG units have (I ended up returning one from them because of that reason)

televator

So... I somehow have quite a few of these pokeeman games in my possesion. Most of them are for GB and GBA, an several of them need battery replacements. Some are desperate as the acid is leaking. How difficult/expensive of a job would it be to replace them?

beanman25

You would be better off just buying an entirely modded unit for that price...

I bought one from this guy and he does great work...$87 shipped. He puts up various colors randomly.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/compu_repai...me=STRK:MEWAX:IT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Thanks for this! Will be buying from him. How long does a pair of batteries last with the backlight?

EDIT: Guys! First battery swap attempt on my gold cart was a success! Unfortunately it's not so pretty because I put stickers all over it as a kid, but working is working!

Time to swap Ruby's battery tomorrow!

leroidys

Okay so RoseColoredGaming just teased these modded GBA:

DKKd856.jpg

yvHIkPe.jpg

I think they're backlited too. don't know how reliable those are but damn, that really makes me want to cave in once they're available...

Oh man I LOVE those. I wish they wouldn't put the SNES logo on the screen though.

womp

Actually, I could buy that and swap my Suicune shell onto a pre modded unit...

How did it turn out and does it have any interlacing issues that RCG units have (I ended up returning one from them because of that reason)

Turned out great. There is a bit of interlacing but I think that is just due to the screens being used here - RCG gets the screens from the same source all these guys modding these do so it has nothing to do with who puts them together. It is just the nature of the third party screens being used, that said, this guy is charging almost half the price and also has great communication as well (I barraged him with questions when I got mine).

Thanks for this! Will be buying from him. How long does a pair of batteries last with the backlight?

I got mine in mid March, and no joke, I am still on the same set of Energizers that I put in when it arrived. Very, very impressed,

putermcgee

Okay so RoseColoredGaming just teased these modded GBA:

DKKd856.jpg

yvHIkPe.jpg

I think they're backlited too. don't know how reliable those are but damn, that really makes me want to cave in once they're available...
Where did they put these online? I may have grown up with the US SNES color scheme, but I'd push my grandma down a flight of stairs to get the this GBA with the JP/EU colors.

-KRS-

Famicom Micro arrived yesterday from Arcade Shock, it's glorious. Sorry for the poor iPhone picture.

I think I just jizzed a little in my pants. Damn nice collection there!

I just fixed the lines on an OG GameBoy I picked up last week.

I am a soldering god.

Wait, you mean you fixed those columns on the screen, usually at the edges, that can stop working on some GBs? I thought that was caused by the ribbon cable connecting the screen to the PCB. Are you saying you soldered the ribbon cable connections back into shape? Because if so, god damn! :O

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Wait, you mean you fixed those columns on the screen, usually at the edges, that can stop working on some GBs? I thought that was caused by the ribbon cable connecting the screen to the PCB. Are you saying you soldered the ribbon cable connections back into shape? Because if so, god damn! :O

Just heat the ribbon cable to reflow the solder.

Het_Nkik

So little update on my shelving. If you recall, I had all my games stacked like this:

Here's an update of my entire GB/C/A collection. I can still think of plenty more games I want so not done yet.

J4pFpEu.jpg

I don't know if I should organize the Wario Land games immediately after the Mario Land games or not.

Some showed concerns for the boxes, but I shrugged it off as they were in box protectors. But the stacks got even higher and even I was getting worried about the lower boxes at that point. So I compromised and turned all my games on their side (left), but man, it looked awful AND it the slightest jolt risked sending all the games spilling down.

So I bought some new shelves (right). Hooray! All nice looking and easy to get to now.

plc268

Famicom Micro arrived yesterday from Arcade Shock, it's glorious. Sorry for the poor iPhone picture.

I remember when Arcade Shock was selling them for $99 each (probably a year or so ago... maybe longer) and I decided to pass. Still not sure why I didn't jump on that.

-KRS-

So little update on my shelving. If you recall, I had all my games stacked like this:

Some showed concerns for the boxes, but I shrugged it off as they were in box protectors. But the stacks got even higher and even I was getting worried about the lower boxes at that point. So I compromised and turned all my games on their side (left), but man, it looked awful AND it the slightest jolt risked sending all the games spilling down.

So I bought some new shelves (right). Hooray! All nice looking and easy to get to now.

At first I thought your floor was crazy uneven or something until I realized that it was two photos stitched together lol. That is looking great! Much better than before. Shelves are always the best solution if you have room for them.

televator

At first I thought your floor was crazy uneven or something until I realized that it was two photos stitched together lol. That is looking great! Much better than before. Shelves are always the best solution if you have room for them.

That is EXACTLY what I thought. lol I was like is his stuff falling over?

Wolfe

Jesus, I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it. Was wondering why he had two mario/luigi statues too.

What kind of shelves are those?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Been looking for some lesser known GBA titles to play...

Currently working through Dragon Ball Advanced Adventures and loving it. I've played Golden Sun, the Metroid games, and have no real interest in SRPGs. Any thoughts?

Been looking for some lesser known GBA titles to play...

Currently working through Dragon Ball Advanced Adventures and loving it. I've played Golden Sun, the Metroid games, and have no real interest in SRPGs. Any thoughts?

Chu Chu Rocket is a fun action puzzle game I don't see mentioned enough. Highly recommended!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for that thread and some suggestions - I'll start scouring the local spots to find some of these titles! I beat Chu Chu Rocket when it first came out, so I'm going to skip that. Fun game, but once is enough for me!

However, I forgot how many good action platformers exist for the GBA. That will keep me busy for sure!

Teknoman

More people need to play Dragon Ball Advanced Adventures. Its one of the best Dragon Ball related game ever released. The other being Super Dragon Ball Z and Budokai 3.

Thanks for that thread and some suggestions - I'll start scouring the local spots to find some of these titles! I beat Chu Chu Rocket when it first came out, so I'm going to skip that. Fun game, but once is enough for me!

However, I forgot how many good action platformers exist for the GBA. That will keep me busy for sure!

Interestingly enough Sega actually went back and put like 2,000 user made levels that were made for the dreamcast version into the gba remake.

Also Chu Chu Rocket is one of the best single cart multiplayer games on the system. It's really fun with friends.

Also have you checked out

-TMNT
-Spyro The Eternal Night
-Crash The Huge Adventure
-Double Dragon Advance
-River City Ransom EX
-Bomberman Tournament
-Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town
-Wade Hixton's Counter Punch

They are all fantastic games.

I splurged and got an SP screen-modded 001 off eBay from a Canadian dealer, is a black model with new controls, shell and screen. Status shows shipped yesterday, can't wait to get it. Will try to post pics.

Wolfe

More people need to play Dragon Ball Advanced Adventures. Its one of the best Dragon Ball related game ever released. The other being Super Dragon Ball Z and Budokai 3.

After playing that abysmal legacy of Goku game I've instinctively steered clear of all GBA Dragonball games, how does that one compare/how's it different?

ALM5252

My girlfriend bought me Pokemon Ruby and a pirated Pokemon Sapphire (won't hold a save) from the PawnShop she works at.

I can't find any of my GBAs to play them on, so I'm using my old Phat DS to play Ruby currently. Lol

She paid 12 for both.

I have more game boy games then books in a library. I suppose I could do one, one more...
In about to be every other persons best friend here soon aren't i?
My last statement I was wrong. It seems I WILL be best friends with every other member here. Ahh, back to the pms.
I don't want to be an asshole, but I hope people are being cautious about a new member showing up handing out so many games for such apparently good prices.

He is days old on GAF, not very old on eBay:

His listings either contain no photos, or stock photos on eBay. He has posted no pictures here on GAF, while his little store seems to have everything.

The couple members I've PM'd here have said he has had some pretty rare stuff, and still offered no photos despite pending sales.

His GAF profile says nothing about owning a gaming shop:

This morning when he was supposedly selling Dreamcasts on eBay like they were going out of style, the only one I actually saw listed, he ended himself:

Link here.

I hope I'm wrong, but this smells of a scam.... he's going into a bunch of retro threads claiming to have the greatest stash there is. Be smart people, ask for proof of items, never use paypal gift with new members. As of right now, he is giving no proof to anyone, but jumping into every retro thread there is like a gaming Jesus. This smells of scam.

Grief.exe

NsTLhRg.jpg

Need higher res picture.

Top Bottom