• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Rich!

Is Realhotstuff legit? They don't offer PayPal and I'm a bit wary of putting my credit card info there.

I ordered a replacement EZ Flash IV from real hot stuff

took three days to get from them in the USA to my house in the UK.

They are more than legit. stupidly good service. Either way, use a credit card and you're covered if anything goes wrong.

maxcriden

Thanks guys!

I'll admit, I probably haven't played on a GBA for a good few years. I'm going to dig out my old games later to get my Super Circuit on.

Will have a look for some other must play games now - any suggestions? What is Penny Racers like?

Minish Cap is pretty rad.

Teknoman

Should I even try to get SRT OG 1 and 2 complete? I was eyeing two on ebay...but hes got some reviews that talk about fake games (one under a complete listing no less).

I could just post on the GAF and Nintendoage buy/trade sections...

EDIT: did both, so i'll post here just in case -

Want to trade for Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 1 and 2 for GBA. I'm ok if both are cartridge only, but if the manual was availible, that would be great.

Items to choose from for trade:
Final Fantasy IV Advance
Final Fantasy I&II Dawn of Souls
R-Type DX
Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
Nintendo DS Download Station Vol. 9

All are cartridge/card only, aside from Shining Force, which just comes in a custom art DS case.

If either game is complete, i'd trade Chrono Trigger DS with original case and manual for it.

Grizzo

Finally managed to get a GBA Micro for a decent price today.

Got a silver Micro in excellent condition, brand new charger, 3 (crappy) games and case for £20.

That's a decent deal, right?

Hey now, Scrabble isn't that bad of a game (if you like crosswords). It's a pretty faithful port of the board game! Other than that, that's a pretty sweet deal, congrats!

Update on my GBA 001 mod with the problem screen. Today I sent a message to the dealer, I politely complained and explained in detail my issues and also sent pictures and he got back to me right away. He was very sorry and right away offered to either give me a full refund or send me a freshly modded unit next week as long as I return this one. I told him sure, I'd love a replacement as long as he's careful to make sure it doesn't have any of the issues this one does. Still waiting to hear back on if he will reimburse me for return shipping though.

So I recently got an insane deal from a local trading site. Here are some pics:
20140521_234429uyuly.jpg

20140521_234526heu0l.jpg

The two GBA SPs are AGS-001s and are in decent shape. Admittedly, there are some dud games. But the obvious game highlights are Dr. Mario, Zelda II, Metroid, Super Monkey Ball Jr., Namco Museum, Banjo-Pilot and Super Mario 3.

The GBAs also came with one charger, 4 game cases and a carrying case.

The price for all of this? $20.

damn, erryone getting good deals lately

^^^^^^

Awesome deal.

Thanks ^^

By the way, does anyone know a good place to get a headphone adapter for the SP? I've been keeping my eye out for one for a while, but the official ones are pretty expensive. I've eyed up some cheap ones from China -- I can pick one up for, like, $3 shipped on eBay -- but I don't know if they'd be so bad that it'd just be a waste of money.

Anyone here know a good place to get an official headphone adapter, or if the cheap Chinese ones are worth a damn?

Wolfe

I can't even recall where I got my adapter at now even though it was only a few years ago. I've always assumed it was a legit one because it doesn't look as low quality as the repro's I've seen online but then again it doesn't say Nintendo on it anywhere so who knows. I'm sure I didn't spend much on it but I also can't remember what kind of price range they were going for back when I picked mine up.

In other words I'm of no help.

Dishwalla

Banned
So I recently got an insane deal from a local trading site. Here are some pics:

The two GBA SPs are AGS-001s and are in decent shape. Admittedly, there are some dud games. But the obvious game highlights are Dr. Mario, Zelda II, Metroid, Super Monkey Ball Jr., Namco Museum, Banjo-Pilot and Super Mario 3.

The GBAs also came with one charger, 4 game cases and a carrying case.

The price for all of this? $20.

That Madagascar Penguins game is actually pretty good, albeit really easy. Certainly not a bad game.

It's in near-flawless condition with all the original packaging and inserts, plus it came with 8 games also in perfect condition with all their packaging! None of them are rare or anything -- Tetris, Dr. Mario, Uno 2, Picross, Picross 2, Space Invaders, Game Boy Gallery, and Midori no Makibao -- but still, pretty good haul I'd say! I paid a bit more than I would've liked all told ($180) but it was something I always wanted so I'm happy.

Peagles

Update on my GBA 001 mod with the problem screen. Today I sent a message to the dealer, I politely complained and explained in detail my issues and also sent pictures and he got back to me right away. He was very sorry and right away offered to either give me a full refund or send me a freshly modded unit next week as long as I return this one. I told him sure, I'd love a replacement as long as he's careful to make sure it doesn't have any of the issues this one does. Still waiting to hear back on if he will reimburse me for return shipping though.

Sounds good, hope it works out!

I got super lucky on this one

12.50 plus $4 shipping from japan. It's a collection of all 3 Game Boy Bonk (GB Genjin) games in some unique packaging.

The guy kind of messed up and listed $4 shipping and tried to say I had to pay him another $11 after I won the auction. I contacted ebay and they must have messaged him because he apologized and sent it out for $4.

So, This says it's Volume 3 of the "game can" series by hudson. As far as I can tell, Pocket Bomber man, and Bomberman GB 3 were also in this "game can" packaging but I found zero information on the internet about these GB games released by hudson in this metal band aid style packaging.

Also I messaged my cousin who i spent a lot of time with as a kid and asked him if he still had his game boy and games that he might want to sell, he said he'd let me have them. I know there's only 5 or so but I remember Final Fantasy Legend 3 and Ninja Gaiden Shadow which i'm really excited to get.

Mzo

Kawaii as fuck. Jealous.

Got Game and Watch Gallery 4, which I had overlooked somehow. Was a little hard to find at a low price CIB, but perseverance won out. Pretty awesome!

Het_Nkik

So, This says it's Volume 3 of the "game can" series by hudson. As far as I can tell, Pocket Bomber man, and Bomberman GB 3 were also in this "game can" packaging but I found zero information on the internet about these GB games released by hudson in this metal band aid style packaging.

I'm pretty sure there was a Game Boy Wars game released in the same packaging. Lemme see if I can find it...

Here we go. Game Boy Wars Turbo.

Txci70f.jpg

I have no idea why Hudson was developing and publishing a Nintendo IP at that time, but they did so for 3 of the Game Boy Wars games.

-KRS-

Hey with the GB Everdrive, whats the watch battery for in it?

I'm just guessing but it probably holds the time for games that need it, e.g. Pokémon Gold/Silver.

I'm pretty sure there was a Game Boy Wars game released in the same packaging. Lemme see if I can find it...

Here we go. Game Boy Wars Turbo.

Txci70f.jpg

I have no idea why Hudson was developing and publishing a Nintendo IP at that time, but they did so for 3 of the Game Boy Wars games.

I have that one. It's the only one of those types of tins I have. Really cool looking. If I remember correctly Hudson made 9 games in total with such tin cans. Though I don't remember what games they were unfortunately.

Lynd7

I'm just guessing but it probably holds the time for games that need it, e.g. Pokémon Gold/Silver.

I have that one. It's the only one of those types of tins I have. Really cool looking. If I remember correctly Hudson made 9 games in total with such tin cans. Though I don't remember what games they were unfortunately.

Nah the GB Everdrive can't do the real time clock at all.

-KRS-

Nah the GB Everdrive can't do the real time clock at all.

Oh, huh. I thought that would be something krikzz would've tried to do.

Well in the EMS USB SmartCard the clock battery is for holding the sram, but in the ED the sram is backed up to the microSD card right? So it's probably not that. Or maybe it is. I dunno. :p

Edit: Ah beaten.

I got super lucky on this one

12.50 plus $4 shipping from japan. It's a collection of all 3 Game Boy Bonk (GB Genjin) games in some unique packaging.

The guy kind of messed up and listed $4 shipping and tried to say I had to pay him another $11 after I won the auction. I contacted ebay and they must have messaged him because he apologized and sent it out for $4.

Also I messaged my cousin who i spent a lot of time with as a kid and asked him if he still had his game boy and games that he might want to sell, he said he'd let me have them. I know there's only 5 or so but I remember Final Fantasy Legend 3 and Ninja Gaiden Shadow which i'm really excited to get.

Had no idea they had such deluxe packaging for GB Bonk in Japan, I'm insanely jealous.

This will probably sound rediculous, but I've been told rechargeable batteries can somehow cause damage to portable game systems like GB/GBA? Any truth to this?

That's a good question! I don't think I'd heard this. Found some info for you, though:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=659138

Thanks, based on that it definitely sounds like it *might* not be a good idea. Didn't realize rechargeables put out higher voltage/wattage.

Another reason I ask is because many years ago when I was about 11, a neighbor kid had a messed up/"scrambled" looking screen on his Gameboy phat and I asked him how it happened and he said it was because "I used rechargeable batteries too many times." I've heard it again in the years since then but wasn't sure if it was just a combination of that kid maybe not willing to admit he just didn't take good care of his GB or urban legend.

Het_Nkik

Thanks, based in that it definitely sounds like it *might* not be a good idea. Didn't realize rechargeables put out higher voltage/wattage.

Another reason I ask is because many years ago when I was about 11, a neighbor kid had a messed up/"scrambled" looking screen on his Gameboy phat and I asked him how it happened and he said it was because "I used rechargeable batteries too many times." I've heard it again in the years since then but wasn't sure if it was just a combination of that kid maybe not willing to admit he just didn't take good care of his GB or urban legend.

This reminds me of a friend I had as a kid who had a Game Gear with a messed up screen and he said it was from playing it with a car adapter too much.

Most rechargable AA batteries put out a lower voltage than traditional batteries.

I wouldn't take Nintendo's FAQ or forum chatter from 13 years ago as a reason not to use recharchables today; battery technology has changed a lot since then. Most rechargables use NiMH or L-Ion rather than NiCd. These batteres are much more reliable, more consistent in their output, discharge very slowly when not in use, and last a long time.

Just get some eneloops and dont worry about it.

-KRS-

NiMH batteries give out 1.2V and does so at a more constant rate than regular alkaline batteries. Alkalines are 1.5V but they can spike and dip quite heavily, especially if they're cheap ones.

So I wouldn't worry about using rechargable NiMH batteries with a GB. There are people who have used such batteries with their GBs for years without issues. Lithium batteries give out 1.7V though. So maybe those aren't a good idea.

Chastten

Banned
I've been using rechargable batteries in my handhelds since the early 90's without any issues. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

plc268

This reminds me of a friend I had as a kid who had a Game Gear with a messed up screen and he said it was from playing it with a car adapter too much.

Messed up, how?

Most Game Gears out there today are messed up in some form or another because of capacitor failure.

Thanks to all who replied to my battery question. I have some fairly recent Duracell NiMHs that I use in my Wiimotes, looks like I will use a couple of those when needed for my GB Light and (soon to be replaced) backlight modded AGB 001.

Top Bottom