• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

So I have a chance to buy one of these:

Nintendo-Tommy-Hilfiger-Game-Boy-Color-Counter-Display-Promo.jpg

Anyone have an idea on its value?

I'll search for a tutorial then, the camera is only the cartridge right? Is there any way to take the pictures out of it?

If you have a capture card and a Super Game Boy, you can save them to a computer as screenshots that way. Another method is using the InterAct Mega Memory Manager passthrough memory card to copy the save file, transferring the save file to a flash cart and then finally copying the save file itself to the computer.

I believe Madcatz made an unlicensed adapter that let you transfer pics to PC, but that was ages ago and most computers nowadays wouldn't have the serial port required to do so anyway.

So I'm still in Japan. Any more JP-only GBA games I should look for?

Also I've stolen my wife's spice orange gamecube (she grew up here) only to find out you can still get brand new spice orange gameboy players off amazon.co.jp for only $40. Is the GB player worth bothering with?

leroidys

Also I've stolen my wife's spice orange gamecube (she grew up here) only to find out you can still get brand new spice orange gameboy players off amazon.co.jp for only $40. Is the GB player worth bothering with?

It was worth it for me just to play Mega Man Zero with the gamecube controller.

Haibane

Guru Logi Champ (amazing quirky puzzler)

Korokoro Puzzle Happy Panechu (another quirky puzzler, with motion sensor)

Mr Driller Ace (puzzler, probably the most solid in the series)

Stafy 1-3 (platformers)

Chocovader, Tomato Adventure (quirky RPGs)

Magical Vacation (beautiful fantasy RPG)

So, guys... I have a question and not much to vouch for it, just yet. So I'm doing a prospect inspection, if I'm allowed to.

Is there a market for enhanced retro gaming printed stuff? I'm a currently unemployed graphical designer and turned my attention to videogame boxes two weeks ago. This because they're obviously too old at this point and being a graphical designer I can't possibly print scans because it's not a digital file - not meaning to get too technical, but it's definetly very lossy... scans are scanned and traded in RGB, meaning a color composed of 100% magenta and yellow now will have blue on it, blacks will also be pretty screwed and detail on screenshots gets lost. not to mention pixels get converted to dots (and specific rotated dot patterns according to color) so it would never work out.

Card cases are also not very good at witstanding the test of time, we obviously have better options now, whilst not being "official" they can certainly feel enhanced. They don't though because they're done by amateurs.

So I spent a load of time doing my own, full hauled box remake meant for DS cases, I also plan on remaking the manuals.

My work attitude is matching the exact same design decisions as the original game so no enhanced textured backgrounds or font changes... albeit I'm considering forgoing the barcode and standardizing the nintendo logo and seal of quality sizes to the ones used to this day, because that changed during the 90's.

It turned into so much work that I can't simply go onto a site and submit it, plus it can only be submitted in JPEG and PNG (JPEG can be CMYK, PNG can only be RGB) either way, I'm not such a nice guy either I guess, so I'm thinking of selling them as the full package (box, manual, cover sans the game), also because I need the money and it's taking quite a few man hours here.

This is not the final version of what I have (it's from wednesday) but it's what I have to show "printed", because I currently don't have tonners on my printer. Regardless, it's WIP.

I remade and plan on remaking stuff like the logo's for every game I do:

wariolandlogo.png

Which you guys can check on any scan and it won't have that quality, plus the resolution is pretty much infinite that way. Again that's wednesday's version, the last one is tweaked a little. I might go as far as remaking the full artwork set itself, thing is I want it to be every bit as good as the original.

The caveats will be that since this won't be printed in huge quantities I can't use pantones, which means cartridge stickers (if anyone requires one) can't have the silver pantone and nintendos seal of quality can't be golden, doesn't look bad at all but one can infer it not to be original from there. For the cartridge stickers, if anyone requires them as I clearly do in my pics, they'll be laminated for sure, which the originals weren't. It took until GBC to roll out before they started lamitating them. (laminaning is applying a plastic finish so the ink doesn't go anywhere as easily. Sun will still eat it away, but rubbing won't.

I'm focusing on GB as of now, but I plan on doing the same for GBC and GBA boxes, my priority as of now is the Super Mario's, Metroid II and Zelda. Again, I plan on remaking the manuals and sell them in a format that fits GBA boxes just fine.

But I can't show that yet because I have none ready yet. I'm doing it first and foremost for me though, so I'm not throwing deadlines just yet, it'll be ready when it's ready.

Anyway, this is how it looks now:

Front:

Inlay: (because boxes are transparent)

They're not in resolutions ready to be printed, sorry.

I've also remade the screenshots which had the wrong aspect ratio going on and were beta, said levels don't exist in that form. I did it for authenticity. The first shot still feels a little empty because it's not ready yet, that background doesn't seem to appear in the game so I'll have to remake it given time.

Anyway, still very WIP, I know, but... Is there interest? I can do US versions as well, but it's all pretty much a test at this point.

That case looks great. Where did you get those clear cases?
They're the standard PAL variant.

I managed to track down the manufacturer (it's Amaray) so I think I can buy them in bulk.

US cases can feel better for GBA, more in line with the 3DS width (2 cm/0.8 inches) as PAL ones are more similar to the original gameboy cases in size with 1 inch (2.5 cm) of width.

WP_20140518_002a.jpg

Pretty much a perfect fit. (doing the cardboard cases "remastered" would be very easy with the work I have already done, but those are hard to send over the mail and tbh, wouldn't be an improvement, just a knock off. I'm not trying to do unassuming knock offs so people could sell old games with new manuals for a lot of money... Counterfeiting is not my goal. My goal is providing a result most in line with "what if" nintendo did a new print of GB cartridges today.

But it's a matter of taste. From that alone, how much of a perfect fit it is, I'm thinking about doing a slipcase for these, but it's too soon, it's too soon to be pitching this here also, but I wanted to hear about what a fair price would be (I forgot to say that in the first post). I would include box, printed insert/inlay and manual in every thing I would ship. I'll probably spend two weeks on every game if I remake the artwork and do the manual so this is a long term term and not something for tomorrow. Changing the seal of quality for the american version and complying with requests should be easy and I'm open to that, goal is looking as OEM as it gets after all.

Oh, manual is to be remade because the original ones don't fit the PAL boxes nor the US ones, figured if I was gonna remake in order for them to be able to be reprinted with quality I might as well make them sized for todays boxes. They would still fit in the older ones anyway so there's no reason other than sheer authenticity to go that route.

For GB and GBC cartridges though, the US boxes won't go well:

You gotta go dremel hero on them, kinda wasteful.

On the PAL boxes they fit like that, there's a little adaptation, to be done but it's very small and a x-ato knife and 1 minute spent on each box will suffice.

I make my own cases as well and those look awesome. I have had trouble in the past finding high resolution work for Wario Land.
It's nigh impossible from what I gathered... As it is for most older nintendo games.

Nintendo and the non-releasing of artbooks and high resolution assets for older games (not even when they re-release them on the VC, I have a press pass for Nintendo's site and was kinda pissed that I couldn't get the high resolution digital version of the Golden Sun logo a few weeks ago when they re-released the game).

I scanned mine and went from there, it's my line of work after all. At this point I'm fine tunning the colors and doing test prints (which I will only be able to resume tomorrow due to no toner cartridge)

The manual illustrations (some used in the inside of the cover insert) will be the next frontier though, because I'm using the scanned versions in there but will most likely vectorize them as well, that and enemiy artwork. I have to if I'm to remake the manual otherwise... they're not high quality for a start , I can't be resizing them at will and use them whenever I please. I'm aiming to do this like a pro.

I'll also have to test papers, which ones feel more similar to the ones being employed. I belive for cardbox/slipcases it's 300g/m^2, but will have to look a bit more for the inlay ones. I feel good about this as a whole though, it's starting to take form and it feels like an improvement.

I'm sure some people would be interested in those cases, I see similar products selling on eBay all the time. So obviously somebody must be buying them. Your's do look pretty fancy though.

I personally prefer to collect cart-only, and store everything neatly in a large binder with trading-card pages. Helps me keep all my games neatly organized and compact. I know plenty others do the same, considering I stole the idea from someone on Racketboy, and I'm positive he got the idea from somewhere else.

I'm sure some people would be interested in those cases, I see similar products selling on eBay all the time. So obviously somebody must be buying them. Your's do look pretty fancy though.
That's the custom coverproject cover:

-> http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cover_id=11533

I know they sell them, I just think they have absolutely no quality going for them. Also why I'm not willing to share files openly (I started out doing it for me alone), because if anyone is gonna sell my work, that'll be me. I'm not using forked stuff from anyone (actually only one asset currently is), hence the massive job it's taking. Albeit some dude on deviant art redid the cover artwork a few months ago and I might contact him just in order not to do the same thing twice [It's also the background I'm using currently for that)], I'll tell him upfront what's it for though, otherwise I'll just do it anyway.

Notice they actually shrinked the artwork in order to fit, you can see it clearly because of the gameboy logo height. Also the side and back logos are the japanese version, it's actually a very different logo, I know because I vectorized it also, thinking only the "O" changed, not so.

They changed the font used on the back and they don't know how to do kerning on the text so they shrinked it. That can't be well printed, not using that RGB file as a basis, and the official seal on the front wasn't even a vector and was resized so that one will be pixelated.

I see care in the packaging itself (box, with the foam et all) and don't think I can match the price (I don't know yet how much the official cases will cost me, but might be up to 3/4 euros each) - that's pretty cheap in that sense.

I'd feel bad selling something other person did just like that, though, for that he ought to have went with the original cover scan.
I personally prefer to collect cart-only, and store everything neatly in a large binder with trading-card pages. Helps me keep all my games neatly organized and compact. I know plenty others do the same, considering I stole the idea from someone on Racketboy, and I'm positive he got the idea from somewhere else.
Interesting, do you have a link? :)

Since we're talking about doing stuff like this might as well keep it open minded. Storing these games and mint condition doesn't go hand in hand without paying a pretty penny, sadly.

Interesting, do you have a link? :)

Since we're talking about doing stuff like this might as well keep it open minded. Storing these games and mint condition doesn't go hand in hand without paying a pretty penny, sadly.

Not my collection, but from an old thread on GAF...

gameboyadvancecolorbinder.png

This works easily for me with all my GB, GBC, and GBA games. I like flipping through the pages, it sounds lame, but it actually reminds me a lot of browsing through Netflix or something - selecting which game I'd like to play for the day. This person seems to have allotted an entire slot for DrillDozer. I was able to comfortably another GBA title in the same slot. Same goes for my copy of Boktai.
2 GBA games per slot, and 1 GB/GBC for each. I keep manuals and other promotional goodies in the the pockets on the front and back end of the binder.

I'm working on printing out some sort of custom binder art for myself, seeing as mine is just plain black at the moment, but am far from a graphics design man, myself.

Here's 2 threads on racketboy about it - Link 1 Link 2

A few dudes even use golf ball display cases.

MrFg2l.jpg

Teknoman

This works easily for me with all my GB, GBC, and GBA games. I like flipping through the pages, it sounds lame, but it actually reminds me a lot of browsing through Netflix or something - selecting which game I'd like to play for the day. This person seems to have allotted an entire slot for DrillDozer. I was able to comfortably another GBA title in the same slot. Same goes for my copy of Boktai.
2 GBA games per slot, and 1 GB/GBC for each. I keep manuals and other promotional goodies in the the pockets on the front and back end of the binder.

I'm working on printing out some sort of custom binder art for myself, seeing as mine is just plain black at the moment, but am far from a graphics design man, myself.

A few dudes even use golf ball display cases.

MrFg2l.jpg

Thats actually kinda cool. I would have never thought of using a binder.

That looks very good!

I like having the official boxes and manuals that can carry my games, but I often carry them around on other kinds of boxes, it's simply more practical than turning my game closet upside down each time I want to play one of the most played games and it's also more portable that way.

Also because when it comes to card boxes, like GB, GBA, SNES and N64 they wear out the most taking and putting cartridges back in. Hence I keep all carts originally stored on card boxes outside at all times. It doesn't look nowhere near as fancy though.

Good solution.

On the other hand, I'm not a fan of the golf ball display cases.

So, guys... I have a question and not much to vouch for it, just yet. So I'm doing a prospect inspection, if I'm allowed to.
This is awesome. I'd be interested in making purchases from you if I had the space for cases. I only own GBA / GB / GBC carts, got rid of boxes / manuals ages ago due to lack of space. Now when I buy, I'm only fussed about finding carts, not complete in box etc.

I have all my DS / 3DS games with cases though, and they're taking up quite a bit of space as it is...but I went digital since Paper Mario Sticker Star and plan to go digital for my cart games when there's a decent sale on either eShop cards or on digital downloads.

Het_Nkik

Messed up, how?

Most Game Gears out there today are messed up in some form or another because of capacitor failure.

Well this was 1995 so it's kind of hard for me to remember, but iirc there was a large black horizontal bar going across the screen and the picture either sat too high of too low.

I remember a while back on here, there were some posts or a thread about a really good Harry Potter GBC game. One of the devs even posted on here and explained the dev stages. Anyone know which game it is? Was it Chamber of Secrets?

Thanks.

Hello to everyone,

I am a fellow GBA collector and I have been following this thread for quite some time now; very much enjoying your finds, pictures and advice. I only just recently got greenlit on NeoGAF; I can finally participate a bit around these parts.

I do not know if you are aware of this but just in case — during my research on finding ways to stock my GBA games I have found you have to be careful with binders as many of them are not made out of polypropylene nor polyethylene; which are some of the few plastics that are acceptable for archiving. As such, in the long term the sleeves will slowly cause damage to the game cartridges. If you plan on keeping the games for a long time, I kindly advise making sure the plastic sleeves are made of a plastic which will not damage your games.

maxcriden

I've been really addicted to Klonoa 2 Dream Champ Tournament as of late.

Glad to hear it's good. I just got the first Klonoa for GBA and am looking forward to playing it. I'm also on the hunt for a good deal on Klonoa Wii.

Other recent pickups:

Megaman and Bass
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
WarioWare: Mega MicroGames$
Donkey Kong Country 3

All cart only. Oh, except Klonoa, that was CIB. (Box/manual isn't important to me though, if anyone wants to buy/trade it for cheap just hit me up.)

Are the GBA versions of those Harry Potter games any good, or just the GBC?

My understanding is the Azkaban GBA RPG is legit, the rest are unremarkable. I think there might be two Azkaban GBA games, though, with only one being an RPG, but with so many HP games it's hard to keep 'em all straight, so I could be mistaken.

daydream

Banned
Glad to hear it's good. I just got the first Klonoa for GBA and am looking forward to playing it. I'm also on the hunt for a good deal on Klonoa Wii.

Other recent pickups:

Megaman and Bass
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
WarioWare: Mega MicroGames$
Donkey Kong Country 3

All cart only. Oh, except Klonoa, that was CIB. (Box/manual isn't important to me though, if anyone wants to buy/trade it for cheap just hit me up.)

My understanding is the Azkaban GBA RPG is legit, the rest are unremarkable. I think there might be two Azkaban GBA games, though, with only one being an RPG, but with so many HP games it's hard to keep 'em all straight, so I could be mistaken.

Nice haul, Max! I'd love a copy of M&B, but as far as I can tell, it goes for some high prices over here. Probably will have to look for a US copy (if those are cheaper?).

Also, the Azkaban RPG is pretty alright. Not as good as the first two, but by no means bad.

maxcriden

Nice haul, Max! I'd love a copy of M&B, but as far as I can tell, it goes for some high prices over here. Probably will have to look for a US copy (if those are cheaper?).

Also, the Azkaban RPG is pretty alright. Not as good as the first two, but by no means bad.

Oh, you can just have mine once we've beaten it, if you're in no rush. Maybe part of the next package I send you, whenever that ends up being?

Peagles

Okay, I'm trying to make a set of four GBA 101 models to make a colour coded Four Swords set, and I've decided I'm probably going to have to look at painting at least one system.

I've got a transparent purple one already that I'm in love with, and access to three other glacier shells, so my question is, is there a way I can paint those and keep them transparent? I remember seeing a transparent red one (I think on rose coloured gaming?) and there may have been discussion here before about using a special type of paint.

Would it be any harder than doing a regular paint job like some of you guys have done before?

Since I only have the purple, I'll likely do a red, green and blue to make up the other colours, if I can find a good match for the Links.

I've got a transparent purple one already that I'm in love with, and access to three other glacier shells, so my question is, is there a way I can paint those and keep them transparent? I remember seeing a transparent red one (I think on rose coloured gaming?) and there may have been discussion here before about using a special type of paint.

Would it be any harder than doing a regular paint job like some of you guys have done before?

Since I only have the purple, I'll likely do a red, green and blue to make up the other colours, if I can find a good match for the Links.
It is possible, yeah.

I don't know about most colors, but it's most used on cars:

You know, smoked headlights et all. Red and "grey/black" are common.

So red is easy because they sell red tinted spray in a lot of car stores. Green and Blue, I've never seen. But they should exist too, I mean everything does exist.

Afterwards you might have another dilema though, which is painting them on the inside or rather outside.

Outside is the coating you seek, but it can be rubbed or scratched out... it's a lot more fragile (I also recommend a tin of acrylic spray to add on top if you go that route), if it's painted on the inside, the plastic structure hooks (sorry, I think I'm bad at explaining this it's probably too technical for my level of english) will keep on being like they are but the rest of the job will be much more durable.

I don't know about doing both sides, might work, or not, but seeing it's tinted, both sides should make it darker.

Inside paint is the way acrylic macs used to do it, and it could be taken out with chemicals:

out-5655_0.jpg

But they were clearly designed not to have a lot of plastic hooks and structure going on (with is highly unusual for the ammount of surface there is). Nintendo's case design ain't like that, a lot more robust means a lot more structure inside to dissipate possible weight and stress.
This is awesome. I'd be interested in making purchases from you if I had the space for cases. I only own GBA / GB / GBC carts, got rid of boxes / manuals ages ago due to lack of space. Now when I buy, I'm only fussed about finding carts, not complete in box etc.
Thanks.

Well, In a way that's my goal too, manuals and cases are effectively the hardest to get at this point and the alternatives out there not really good enough. I almost cringe saying this because I highly enjoy having the original... but flash carts are a viable alternative (albeit piracy) to the proper cartridge, so I think it's the cases that have "no equal" or rather no alternative.

I fully understand where you're coming from. I've probably not flicked through more than 10% of the manuals of games I've purchased since 2005 or so, so forgoing manuals is not such a hard thing to do, other than a perception one.

Vysetron

Neo Member
Made a few acquisitions recently! No means to take photos at the moment, but picked up Drill Dozer, WarioWare Twisted, Wario Land 4, Mario 3, and Konami Krazy Racers. All amazing, but KKR has had the biggest hold on my attention for some reason. Helps that the music consists entirely of earworms.

I have a bit of a problem though. My SP's battery is finally at the point that I can't take it anywhere, and I've been interested in a Micro for a while anyway. Any especially good sites to watch besides eBay?

Edit: never mind! Found a good deal on one.

Made a few acquisitions recently! No means to take photos at the moment, but picked up Drill Dozer, WarioWare Twisted, Wario Land 4, Mario 3, and Konami Krazy Racers. All amazing, but KKR has had the biggest hold on my attention for some reason. Helps that the music consists entirely of earworms.

Very nice pickups indeed man. The only one I've never played is Warioware Twisted, but I've heard it's the best in the series.

KKR OST is seriously sick. The main title track gets stuck in my head all the time. Gotta love those GBA vocals. I play that game more than MK Super Circuit.

EDIT: What's wrong with your GBA SP battery? Are you no longer able to get much play-time out of it?

daydream

Banned
Local games store got some new stuff in, some of it I'd gladly have added to my collection if it had been in better shape. I did, however, pick up Yoshi's Universal Gravitation which was in excellent condition.

Also pondered getting that second Golden Sun game but 25€ was a bit too much. I got the first one on the WiiU VC and I can't imagine the second one not arriving there sooner or later (for a way cheaper price).

Het_Nkik

Local games store got some new stuff in, some of it I'd gladly have added to my collection if it had been in better shape. I did, however, pick up Yoshi's Universal Gravitation which was in excellent condition.

I recently played through Topsy-Turvy (USican here). It was... not great. It had some neat ideas, but the level design and Yoshi's controls/abilities were weak. And I'm pretty sure one level was straight up broken.

Just picked up Battletoads for the Game Boy from a local flea market this weekend. Never played this version before, surprised by how close it was.

Top Bottom