• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

daydream

Banned
I recently played through Topsy-Turvy (USican here). It was... not great. It had some neat ideas, but the level design and Yoshi's controls/abilities were weak. And I'm pretty sure one level was straight up broken.

Yeah, I've played it before and know it's a flawed game, for sure. Still wanted it in my collection, though. :)

So, guys... I have a question and not much to vouch for it, just yet. So I'm doing a prospect inspection, if I'm allowed to.

Is there a market for enhanced retro gaming printed stuff? I'm a currently unemployed graphical designer and turned my attention to videogame boxes two weeks ago. This because they're obviously too old at this point and being a graphical designer I can't possibly print scans because it's not a digital file - not meaning to get too technical, but it's definetly very lossy... scans are scanned and traded in RGB, meaning a color composed of 100% magenta and yellow now will have blue on it, blacks will also be pretty screwed and detail on screenshots gets lost. not to mention pixels get converted to dots (and specific rotated dot patterns according to color) so it would never work out.

Card cases are also not very good at witstanding the test of time, we obviously have better options now, whilst not being "official" they can certainly feel enhanced. They don't though because they're done by amateurs.

So I spent a load of time doing my own, full hauled box remake meant for DS cases, I also plan on remaking the manuals.

My work attitude is matching the exact same design decisions as the original game so no enhanced textured backgrounds or font changes... albeit I'm considering forgoing the barcode and standardizing the nintendo logo and seal of quality sizes to the ones used to this day, because that changed during the 90's.

It turned into so much work that I can't simply go onto a site and submit it, plus it can only be submitted in JPEG and PNG (JPEG can be CMYK, PNG can only be RGB) either way, I'm not such a nice guy either I guess, so I'm thinking of selling them as the full package (box, manual, cover sans the game), also because I need the money and it's taking quite a few man hours here.

This is not the final version of what I have (it's from wednesday) but it's what I have to show "printed", because I currently don't have tonners on my printer. Regardless, it's WIP.

I remade and plan on remaking stuff like the logo's for every game I do:

wariolandlogo.png

Which you guys can check on any scan and it won't have that quality, plus the resolution is pretty much infinite that way. Again that's wednesday's version, the last one is tweaked a little. I might go as far as remaking the full artwork set itself, thing is I want it to be every bit as good as the original.

The caveats will be that since this won't be printed in huge quantities I can't use pantones, which means cartridge stickers (if anyone requires one) can't have the silver pantone and nintendos seal of quality can't be golden, doesn't look bad at all but one can infer it not to be original from there. For the cartridge stickers, if anyone requires them as I clearly do in my pics, they'll be laminated for sure, which the originals weren't. It took until GBC to roll out before they started lamitating them. (laminaning is applying a plastic finish so the ink doesn't go anywhere as easily. Sun will still eat it away, but rubbing won't.

I'm focusing on GB as of now, but I plan on doing the same for GBC and GBA boxes, my priority as of now is the Super Mario's, Metroid II and Zelda. Again, I plan on remaking the manuals and sell them in a format that fits GBA boxes just fine.

But I can't show that yet because I have none ready yet. I'm doing it first and foremost for me though, so I'm not throwing deadlines just yet, it'll be ready when it's ready.

Anyway, this is how it looks now:

Front:

Inlay: (because boxes are transparent)

They're not in resolutions ready to be printed, sorry.

I've also remade the screenshots which had the wrong aspect ratio going on and were beta, said levels don't exist in that form. I did it for authenticity. The first shot still feels a little empty because it's not ready yet, that background doesn't seem to appear in the game so I'll have to remake it given time.

Anyway, still very WIP, I know, but... Is there interest? I can do US versions as well, but it's all pretty much a test at this point.

this looks awesome. I'm guessing that you're aware of The Cover Project?

Rich!

Just been looking at the GB Boy Colour, and it does indeed look awesome. Saw a gameplay video of Wario Land 1 on it and it looks great. Sure, the aspect ratio and sound is a bit off, but hey.

this looks awesome. I'm guessing that you're aware of The Cover Project?
I am, we've talked about it later in the conversation in regards to people already selling covers and cases on ebay, and how it was effectively just the custom cover project cover for that game, printed.

I'm aiming to do something proper, better, I've talked a little about it already but getting too technical would just be a bore. I'll just stress that if you print any of those covers you won't be satisfied with a proper cover being side by side and a person like me would just have a meltdown of stuff to say. If they're scans they lost a lot of sharpness in being converted to digital then back to print and the RGB conversion added color dots that weren't there before... and if they weren't... Well, you don't have the lone job of preparing files for print for nothing. (it sucks very much)

I could work on salvaging it for print again by remastering some things but that wouldn't make it nowhere near as good as the original. Right now I only mean to sacrifice silver, gold and full color pantones.

Plus, they use RGB at all times, and not CMYK on the JPEG's they store (not to mention JPEG is lossy and nothing meant for printing uses *that*).

NqxgHdV.png

RGB is additive, add all colors and you're supposed to get white, no type of paint does that because all of them are subtractive, CMYK representing how paint works. RGB is red, green, blue and CMYK is Cyan (Blue), Magenta (Red), Yellow and Black. Because they're so different though, RGB is a huge no-no for print, colors will just come out a lot different. (RGB can actually reproduce more colors... CMYK often has to be optimized by hand to recreate some of them.

To illustrate my point:

sDhgXO9.png

This: Black 100% in CMYK (100% is actually a little grey so we add a bit of the other colors in, but not 100% of each as that might give out a colored black and/or soak the paper too much and smudge for a very long time. It's also wasteful.

Becomes this if RGB ever touches it:

u4kGPZ7.png

I mean, I'm not optimizing color by color from the ground for a conversion to screw it all up in 5 seconds.

Anyway, those (covers) wouldn't suffice, and I kept working and it's not done yet but getting somewhere. Hoping other covers+manuals will take me less time to complete. I actually had to do the official seal of quality and the "original game boy game pak" thing, as the one already remastered had crap lettering going for it, dude just plastered Gill Sans with italic, and the font whilst similar had different G's and O's.

But that's also why it's taking me two weeks of work (albeit not full time) rather than 1 hour... But it was an early pitch, I'll show a more final version later this week just to show an update. Hopefully I have a finished the manual by then.

-KRS-

Maybe you've mentioned this, but I'm thinking there should be an easy way to see that it's a reproduction box so people don't try to sell them as originals later on.

Maybe you've mentioned this, but I'm thinking there should be an easy way to see that it's a reproduction box so people don't try to sell them as originals later on.
Pictured and from a distance it can be impossible but there are a few telltale signs. Bad photos make it obvious since it is the oldest trick on the book and if the card inside is very bright coloured there's another, Nintendo always used what seemed like recycled paper, or something very close in texture to the thicker card stock there is, paper bought in stores with the same weight/width (which I believe is 300 g/m^2) is whiter because they're meant to be printed on both sides if the costumer wants to.

It's also a good principle to look at the case flaps and edges, because "professional print" uses bleeds, bleed is a margin within the package that is overprinted. This is done because cut and creases is done automatically later on (and not with scissors) with a press (creases don't have a blade but have an iron in there nonetheless, while areas to cut do) and this way it can also be a little misaligned without it being a problem.

CNC_CO2_Laser_Cutting_Machine_Cut_Sample_of_Packing_Box_Mold.jpg

^ This medieval thing is what usually gets used.

With something printed at home and meant to be cut they'll want to keep form in order to know where to cut rather than a huge blind bleed, so they'll be cutting close to the printed areas and trying not to get to the immediately close white that wouldn't be there otherwise. If you get less than a millimeter of white though, good luck trying to "shave it out" with a x-ato or even a manual guilhotine... It's too small and it'll only get worse. And this said because the format is so close to the intended side undercutting is not an option if you don't want to end up with a box that can only be badly assembled. So those are good places to look.

Ink also tends to "break" more on these papers, because the surface can break whilst folding be it because of the kind of paper being used (very glossy) amount of ink splattered in there and also because there is no previous pressure crease. So look at the outside folds.

Things that can't be recreated without major effort are the official seal of quality, who uses Pantone 872. One can only recreate that with a offset printer with at least 5 cilinders (CMYK+one - each cylinder has to be dedicated to one color or finish - otherwise it would have to go into the machine twice and that increases the probability of misalignment tenfold, and at home it's not even possible), one can close the color, but never recreate the "shining gold" effect. Same with silver on the side of the carts, one can pull a similar grey, but something will be missing still.

-KRS-

I missed that you intend to make these for DS cases. Then it's all good in my book. I thought you were going to make exact reproduction boxes and sell them.

Oh and thanks for the info btw. It's interesting reading details like that from someone in the know.

I missed that you intend to make these for DS cases. Then it's all good in my book. I thought you were going to make exact reproduction boxes and sell them.

Oh and thanks for the info btw. It's interesting reading details like that from someone in the know.
Ah, I see.

I'm not in the market for knock off's, specially knock-off's that don't assume they are just that... I did the original case layout and have it in digital form, so doing a "high quality" remaster of the case wouldn't be hard at all (with the caveats I mentioned)... more like a 5 minute job since I based the DS layout on it, but I don't plan to, least of all print and sell it.

Instruction manual also won't have the original 11.5x8.5 cm size going for it because not only would that lent itself to be a "perfect" reproduction of the original (hence a fake) but also because they don't fit a DS case properly.

It's mostly the same for US cases.

I'm doing the new manual with the DS manual size in mind, will still fit the older cases if one wants to, but it's the size Nintendo would use today, opposed to what they went with 1989. I'm going for the "what if" Nintendo did a new Gameboy cartridge run in 2014. I'm also thinking about doing away with the barcode since this will never be sold in stores, it's only there for "knockoff" authenticity after all.

The thing leaning me towards the no is that even Club Nintendo games "not meant for resale" have the barcode thing going still:

I want to keep every OEM detail I can, but not in the same form, it's more of a re-imagining than a reprodution.

Rizzi

How difficult is putting a front light in a GBC? Thinking about trying to do it myself instead of hoping someone plops one on ebay for cheap enough.

womp

Just been looking at the GB Boy Colour, and it does indeed look awesome. Saw a gameplay video of Wario Land 1 on it and it looks great. Sure, the aspect ratio and sound is a bit off, but hey.

Don't waste your time or money. I grabbed one a couple of months ago and it's already dead. I think I used it for two hours total. The screen is prone to scratches and the stilted screen resolution got annoying.

Rich!

Don't waste your time or money. I grabbed one a couple of months ago and it's already dead. I think I used it for two hours total. The screen is prone to scratches and the stilted screen resolution got annoying.

For the low amount I paid for it, I'm not fussed how long it lasts lol

Anyone played Rayman 3 (GBA)? It looks to be a solid Rayman sidescroller in the vein of the original.

I have it. It's no Rayman 1, but it's still a very solid platformer, and definitely worth getting.

It's also not incredibly difficult like the original...but no other Rayman game is. Hah.

maxcriden

Rayman3 on gba is really good!
Oh, lilo & stich is great also

I have it. It's no Rayman 1, but it's still a very solid platformer, and definitely worth getting.

It's also not incredibly difficult like the original...but no other Rayman game is. Hah.

Glad to hear it, thanks guys! Is it at least still difficult enough to 100%? TBH the first one is way too hard for me, but my wife has beaten it 100% so I wanted to make sure this one won't be *too* easy for her!

Glad to hear it, thanks guys! Is it at least still difficult enough to 100%? TBH the first one is way too hard for me, but my wife has beaten it 100% so I wanted to make sure this one won't be *too* easy for her!

Hmm...I don't think I've gotten 100% yet. I wouldn't say that it's an "easy" game, though...but it's been years since I played through it. It's definitely not anywhere near the first game in terms of difficulty, though.

maxcriden

Hmm...I don't think I've gotten 100% yet. I wouldn't say that it's an "easy" game, though...but it's been years since I played through it. It's definitely not anywhere near the first game in terms of difficulty, though.

Sounds good. She does enjoy Kirby and the like so I'm sure she'll dig it either way. Thanks!

Wolfe

Right on, my Gamecube doesn't feel complete without it's Game Boy player attached anymore (even if it is a purple GC with a black GBP).

Such a shame Nintendo never did a DS player or a 3DS player.

I'm still hunting for a GB Player myself, but purchased a new in box Super Game Boy last week for 30 euros.

Vysetron

Neo Member
EDIT: What's wrong with your GBA SP battery? Are you no longer able to get much play-time out of it?

Only just spotted this, sorry! It was used when I bought it so the battery life had already taken a bit of a hit, but now it basically has to be connected to the charger, and the charging port itself doesn't make the best connections. It's a slew of problems and I can only fix some of them, so I figured it was better to replace the thing.

Is it an AGS-101? or regular unit?

Been remastering SGB stuff today:

kA7bOVI.png

9I3Onb9.png

Kinda impressive I get the feeling no one vectorized the super game boy logo like ever.

I also redid the box compatible logo's (european and US) but the US one is not liking to be exported very much.

maxcriden

Okay bros, I got Lilo & Stitch on eBay for $3.29 shipped so hopefully that's a good price.

I also got this:

$(KGrHqV,!mEFGL75vEBTBRqGGF7T6w~~60_1.JPG

For $5.50 shipped. Yes, this is a Winnie the Pooh's Rumbly Tumbly Adventure and Rayman 3 superpack. I don't plan to the play the WTP game, since it's not supposed to be very good. But for Rayman 3 to be included it's totally worth it. It's from China so hopefully it works.

daydream

Banned
Okay bros, I got Lilo & Stitch on eBay for $3.29 shipped so hopefully that's a good price.

I also got this:

For $5.50 shipped. Yes, this is a Winnie the Pooh's Rumbly Tumbly Adventure and Rayman 3 superpack. I don't plan to the play the WTP game, since it's not supposed to be very good. But for Rayman 3 to be included it's totally worth it. It's from China so hopefully it works.

Nice! The original Rayman on GBC (and PS1) was one of my childhood games. Never knew the third one got made into a classic 2D sidescroller on the GBA. Let me know if it's any good! :)

zonipoi

Got my EZ Flash IV today but after doing some reading I realized I need a mini SD cart too. Is this good as they seem to be rare nowadays?

I have a micro SD with adapter, has anybody used it with that without any problems?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Also received an EZFlash IV today, but the NOR (used to play bigger games like Riviera or Mother 3) worked exactly once. Spent almost the entire day (I feel stupid now that I think about it) searching for a fix and switching firmware, patcher, etc. Nothing to do; transfer to NOR is always stuck at the end of the transfer and it causes problem with saves and co.

At this point, I'm pretty sure I got a defect... Anybody dealed with RealHotStuff's customer service here? I'm worried...

Rich!

Also received an EZFlash IV today, but the NOR (used to play bigger games like Riviera or Mother 3) worked exactly once. Spent almost the entire day (I feel stupid now that I think about it) searching for a fix and switching firmware, patcher, etc. Nothing to do; transfer to NOR is always stuck at the end of the transfer and it causes problem with saves and co.

At this point, I'm pretty sure I got a defect... Anybody dealed with RealHotStuff's customer service here? I'm worried...

AFAIK, the majority of the latest batch of EZ-Flash IV's have issues with NOR. Basically, it's fucked.

If you have a box for the cart thats black and white and has no blurb on the back, you have one of those carts, copied from the originals. Source: GBAtemp, and I have one myself. NOR is fucked.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
AFAIK, the majority of the latest batch of EZ-Flash IV's have issues with NOR. Basically, it's fucked.

If you have a box for the cart thats black and white and has no blurb on the back, you have one of those carts, copied from the originals. Source: GBAtemp, and I have one myself. NOR is fucked.

Yep, that's what I have.

Realizing I basically wasted $50 just as I lost my job yesterday sucks. :(

Do you at least think they'll accept to refund me, or will they not consider it a defect...? I wrote an e-mail to their support, waiting for an answer...

As the EZFlashIV is more or less the only GBA flashcard still available, I guess it's simply too late if I want something that will also play my biggest games (Riviera, Mother 3, etc.)? Of course I can carry my huge collection everywhere, but that's not the best. And especially no fan-translated games... :/

Rich!

Yep, that's what I have.

Realizing I basically wasted $50 just as I lost my job yesterday sucks. :(

Do you at least think they'll accept to refund me, or will they not consider it a defect...? I wrote an e-mail to their support, waiting for an answer...

As the EZFlashIV is more or less the only GBA flashcard still available, I guess it's simply too late if I want something that will also play my biggest games (Riviera, Mother 3, etc.)? Of course I can carry my huge collection everywhere, but that's not the best. And especially no fan-translated games... :/

I wouldn't expect a refund from them.

Anyway, it's literally only gonna affect Mother 3 and a couple of other no-name titles. It really doesn't matter that much. And yeah, it's pretty much too late - I'm absolutely amazed a new batch was actually made, no matter how cheap the production likely was.

Peagles

Wait a minute. I have a few of these new EZ Flash IVs and as far as I've played the NOR is fine. How can I test them to see?

Mostly keen to know this cos I'm giving my brother his birthday present today (modded AGB with a 101 screen and an EZ Flash IV since I hog our collection and I've also moved out of home) and when testing I put a Mother 3 on the NOR, then another large game I can't recall, then put Mother 3 on again. He will likely only play Mother 3 from NOR but it'll be a bummer if that is fucked.

Rich!

Wait a minute. I have a few of these new EZ Flash IVs and as far as I've played the NOR is fine. How can I test them to see?

Mostly keen to know this cos I'm giving my brother his birthday present today (modded AGB with a 101 screen and an EZ Flash IV since I hog our collection and I've also moved out of home) and when testing I put a Mother 3 on the NOR, then another large game I can't recall, then put Mother 3 on again. He will likely only play Mother 3 from NOR but it'll be a bummer if that is fucked.

basically

your NOR worked. you're fine.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Depends. Mine started acting up after a few switches between 32MB games (Mother 3, Riviera, Yggra...). Now, I can't really install any of those properly. The install will crash just before the end. The game still looks like it's working, but it uses the filename of the previously installed game, so it creates all sorts of conflicts with the save files...

Rich!

Phew, think I'll just unwrap it and double check though hehe.

well, uh

I say fine for now anyhow - it may play up in the future. Basically, the latest batch is unreliable and unpredictable as far as NOR goes. Just stick Mother 3 on it and never take it off.

Peagles

well, uh

I say fine for now anyhow - it may play up in the future. Basically, the latest batch is unreliable and unpredictable as far as NOR goes. Just stick Mother 3 on it and never take it off.

My brother's a bit of a technoob so I doubt he will ever figure out how to take Mother 3 off NOR anyway. Thanks for the heads up!

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I managed to stick Mother 3 there with a valid save file, and it looks like it's working. It's never moving from there!

EDIT: aaaaaand the save file's gone as soon as I play something else. Uuuurgh.

Grizzo

Max, Rayman 3 is one of the best platformer on the system! I think you should get the cart Rayman 10th anniversary (including Rayman 1 + Rayman 3). Let me know if you don't find it in the US, I can get it for cheap in its European version and send it to you :D

Update on my defective backlight modded 001 situation. The dealer told me he shipped the replacement today and that he carefully tested it first so hopefully this unit won't have any issues. This time it will be the arctic/"milky blue" see through model which I'm excited about because way back in March 2001, I couldn't wait for the June U.S. launch, so I imported my GBA along with SMBA (playing a new Nintendo system three months ahead of time was awesome). At the time I requested the milky blue model from NCSX but they ran out and only had purple. So this feels like it's coming full circle for me. I gave my purple 001 to a friend many years ago after the SP came out but I still have the box and my still mint and boxed copy of SMBA:

1E1F9246-C7B1-4354-AE00-880FC8F32B68-2222-0000013435BCC318_zps961197cd.jpg

maxcriden

Nice! The original Rayman on GBC (and PS1) was one of my childhood games. Never knew the third one got made into a classic 2D sidescroller on the GBA. Let me know if it's any good! :)

Will do! The original is one of my wife's favorite games.

Max, Rayman 3 is one of the best platformer on the system! I think you should get the cart Rayman 10th anniversary (including Rayman 1 + Rayman 3). Let me know if you don't find it in the US, I can get it for cheap in its European version and send it to you :D

Oh I saw that but didn't know what it was. I actually already got Rayman 3 and it should be here from China in a couple weeks. Hopefully it's legit. Thanks for your generous offer though! I really appreciate it. I would still take you up on it but I already have the Rayman 1 game downloaded via DSiWare to 3DS. It's the PS1 one so I think it's the same game. Thank you though!

I recently got an ez flash iv as well from realhotstuff and I was having NOR problems where I would try to flash a game to the NOR on my backlit og gba and it would finish installing but nothing would be there (it would kind of freeze at the end of installation).

It never worked until I tried to do it in my ags 101 gba sp or my micro.

So if you're having NOR problems and you own a different model of the gba, try using it in that to see if that makes any difference.

Top Bottom