• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

leroidys

Do you guys have any tips for storing GBA games? Right now all my games are just knocking around in a photobox. I want to at least get plastic cases for them, but they seem to be ridiculously expensive.

Teknoman

Thanks for the recommendations. I used ot enjoy schmups back in the day on SNES. May check some out. R-Type DX is pretty expensive and rare on eBay!

Yeah, I'm glad I still have my copy from when I bought it back in '99. Also the same year IREM released R-TYPES and R-TYPE Delta for PSX, good times.

What? Its 8 bucks buy it now on Ebay.

EDIT: Aww...of course I miss a retro regular selling Harmony of Dissonance and Final Fantasy Adventure...

Grizzo

Perhaps some GBC games I have yet to try. I never did complete Conker's Tales.

Congrats, that GBC looks absolutely fantastic. I wish I had one with a backlit or frontlit screen too.

By the way Conker's Pocket Tales is one of the worst games I've ever played in my life. It's just so... bland. The characters look hideous, the graphics gives me headache and the music is just annoying (plus I hate how it starts over every time I enter or leave a building).

But Donkey Kong 94" is one of my favorite games on the GB.

Well my rant is over, haha :)

Do you guys have any tips for storing GBA games? Right now all my games are just knocking around in a photobox. I want to at least get plastic cases for them, but they seem to be ridiculously expensive.

This is my current solution, but I was lucky enough to find a pile of disused cassettes ready for binning next to my University library.

X7mmdZr.jpg

More pics here.

(Apologies for those that have already seen it, I posted it a long while back)

Tamanator

Any idea where you can currently source a ribbon cable adapter for doing the backlit gba mod from? Zerey Zhang's taobao page seems to be no longer active.

What? Its 8 bucks buy it now on Ebay.
Thanks for that, I was looking on eBay UK.
Congrats, that GBC looks absolutely fantastic. I wish I had one with a backlit or frontlit screen too.

By the way Conker's Pocket Tales is one of the worst games I've ever played in my life. It's just so... bland. The characters look hideous, the graphics gives me headache and the music is just annoying (plus I hate how it starts over every time I enter or leave a building).

But Donkey Kong 94" is one of my favorite games on the GB.

Well my rant is over, haha :)
I liked Conker on GBC back in the day. I just remember getting to a crazy mission where I had to shoot a certain number of things within a short space of time, and could never beat it.

EDIT: also, you can't put a backlight in GB/GBCs, just frontlights apparently. A backlight would look great, no doubt.

Peagles

Any idea where you can currently source a ribbon cable adapter for doing the backlit gba mod from? Zerey Zhang's taobao page seems to be no longer active.

On that note, I'm assuming you know how to order from taobao? Any chance you could help me out? I'm stumped!

I ordered a Spaceworld edition GBA from Rose Colored Gaming and it's ugly as fuck. The orange that they used is much darker than the spice orange that I expected it to be that is seen on the actual prototypes and on the RSG website. It's as if they only had darker buttons in stock so they shifted the paint on the triggers to be more of a red orange.

I wasn't happy with the colors on the actual screen either as everything is off and a bit darker than it should be. Hard to explain, but the best example I can give is Wario's skin in Warioland 4 looks red.

The system itself is obviously spraypainted and you can even see areas on the backs of the shoulder buttons that aren't properly covered with paint. The cartridge slot's edges are rough and the battery back doesn't snap in very well. It feels like it wants to shoot off.

After buying an Omega MVS system I was floored by the quality. It's sort of shocking to experience the other end of that spectrum especially when it looked like it would be so nice on the website.

What it looked like on the website
ib20BC9bFYF4dS.jpg

What I got
ibbK00V0ivGWU6.jpg

ibzUweffsffGsr.jpg

I wouldn't recommend them if you're expecting something high quality or are picky. This system's display looks like trash next to my friend's SP with the nicer screen. There was also a significant amount of ghosting on the RSG system.

No, I didn't bother to reach out for a replacement or anything. Thinking about swapping the innards with a cheap transparent GBA and having a kinda cruddly backlight system with a nicer exterior or just selling the thing off completely.

Borman

I ordered a Spaceworld edition GBA from Rose Colored Gaming and it's ugly as fuck. The orange that they used is much darker than the spice orange that I expected it to be that is seen on the actual prototypes and on the RSG website. It's as if they only had darker buttons in stock so they shifted the paint on the triggers to be more of a red orange.

I wasn't happy with the colors on the actual screen either as everything is off and a bit darker than it should be. Hard to explain, but the best example I can give is Wario's skin in Warioland 4 looks red.

The system itself is obviously spraypainted and you can even see areas on the backs of the shoulder buttons that aren't properly covered with paint. The cartridge slot's edges are rough and the battery back doesn't snap in very well. It feels like it wants to shoot off.

After buying an Omega MVS system I was floored by the quality. It's sort of shocking to experience the other end of that spectrum especially when it looked like it would be so nice on the website.

I wouldn't recommend them if you're expecting something high quality or are picky. This system's display looks like trash next to my friend's SP with the nicer screen. There was also a significant amount of ghosting on the RSG system.

No, I didn't bother to reach out for a replacement or anything. Thinking about swapping the innards with a cheap transparent GBA and having a kinda cruddly backlight system with a nicer exterior or just selling the thing off completely.

What a shame. Contemplated going for that exact one.

Peagles

I've seen a few cheap knockoff shells from China like this, that must be where RCG source them from. They cost a few bucks a pop, and you get what you pay for. Of course in RCG's case, you get a lot less than what you pay for, it seems.

Looks like pretty gross work all round, I'm not sure why people continue to order from them.

TnK

With what RCG offers, are the places that sell backlit GBAs in bulks trust worthy? The others that do mods individually have higher quality apparently, like a british seller posted a number of pages back.

OK, for the people here, is Aria or Dawn better, and why? I sometimes feel that if a person played either first, they end up being better than the other. In my case, Aria is the better game. Asking this because I saw the metroidvania thread just now.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I have never heard of a satisfied RCG customer here. Why do y'all frequenting the thread keep buying?

I'm really glad I've seen the feedback in here. I've been thinking about getting my Fuschia original GBA modded with a backlight, and was looking at RCG, but it would cost a pretty penny and with the horrid feedback and poor customer service I've heard others in this thread mention, I'm steering clear of RCG.

prateeko

With what RCG offers, are the places that sell backlit GBAs in bulks trust worthy? The others that do mods individually have higher quality apparently, like a british seller posted a number of pages back.

OK, for the people here, is Aria or Dawn better, and why? I sometimes feel that if a person played either first, they end up being better than the other. In my case, Aria is the better game. Asking this because I saw the metroidvania thread just now.

Has anyone compared the screens (the new ones made in china that RCG seems to use) to actual SP 101 screens? I don't solder but my understanding is that it's not terribly hard to mod a GBA SP 101 screen into a GBA, especially since all I would need is a very beat up SP101 (not expensive on eBay).

Hell, is there someone/a service who could do that for me?

Has anyone compared the screens (the new ones made in china that RCG seems to use) to actual SP 101 screens? I don't solder but my understanding is that it's not terribly hard to mod a GBA SP 101 screen into a GBA, especially since all I would need is a very beat up SP101 (not expensive on eBay).

Hell, is there someone/a service who could do that for me?

Saw them side by side and assuming the RSG system isn't darker because of internal settings thing the SP is dramatically brighter, has much less ghosting and the color balance is perfect. My RSG system has a mix of darker colors (pink tending to show as red).

Mainly, I feel like an ass for not just tracking down an SP101 and opting for an overpriced modded frankensystem instead.

baphomet

Can't begin to understand why people pay crazy high prices for some guy doing bad work and spray painting shells. Not to mention non existent customer service.

Mzo

I think they built up a good reputation in the past and have been coasting on that. Maybe they receive too many orders these days to maintain an acceptable level of quality?

I've always felt they were a bit expensive and all the less than a glowing reviews easily keep me away.

TnK

Can't begin to understand why people pay crazy high prices for some guy doing bad work and spray painting shells. Not to mention non existent customer service.
Baphomet, did all the mods you made for the GBA use the original AGS-101 screen? How do the other 3rd party screens fare?
I ask because I am looking at this atm: http://m.ebay.com/itm/190938999108?nav=SEARCH

I myself have an OG GBA, and would love to mod it myself, but I have 0 soldering skills.

That's a mad bummer, I was somewhat interested in a backlit OG style GBA, but for the price RCG salls them, I'd expect the nicest quality stuff.

Wolfe

That's a mad bummer, I was somewhat interested in a backlit OG style GBA, but for the price RCG salls them, I'd expect the nicest quality stuff.

The price unfortunately just seems like a case of not having much if any competition. As someone that mods his own stuff hearing people's bad experiences with them bums me out. Don't see why people get into those types of businesses if they aren't willing or wanting to put forth the best effort possible.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I played Aria first, and I like that one more. I think the game was just better balanced overall, and of course it was the first. I usually make it a rule to never use healing items in these games, but some bosses in Dawn were so broken that I had to abide from that rule, so yeah, Aria all the way for me.

I played Aria first as well, so Dawn felt like an unnecessary retread. Preferred Aria.

Having played all 6, if you're only going to play one castleroid per system, I'd suggest Aria on GBA and Order on DS.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I played Aria first as well, so Dawn felt like an unnecessary retread. Preferred Aria.

Having played all 6, if you're only going to play one castleroid per system, I'd suggest Aria on GBA and Order on DS.

I agree with this. However, I dont see why you would limit yourself to only two, when all six are worth playing. Just dont do them all at a time :)

putermcgee

I hadn't seen any RCG feedback until this page in the thread (maybe I wasn't paying attention, or didn't connect Rose Colored Gaming with RCG in my mind), and am disappointed. Their recent Super Famicom/SNES mods look really nice, and even the pictures they took of the actual products look great. I guess the screen quality is important too since I'd actually want to play with it... then again, that's the main reason I didn't try getting on when they went up for sale.

I can justify $150-170 for a color scheme I really dig (like the JP Toys R Us one), but I'd be too afraid of messing up a $250 Super Famicom model.

That said, does anyone here do AGS-101 screen mods for AGB-001s? It would have to be someone in the US or Japan.

Also, is it difficult to transplant a backlit screen from an AGS-101 to an AGS-001? If I still have it in storage, I'd love for my Classic NES AGS-001 to have a better screen.

I have never heard of a satisfied RCG customer here. Why do y'all frequenting the thread keep buying?

i'm probably one of the few who got lucky to have a functional product from them. but i would never deal with RCG again. horrible customer service (this was before they hired someone to answer emails, i don't know if that's really changed anything though), overpriced as shit (i've seen some pretty decent backlit GBAs people got from eBay here with better customer service too apparently).

for reference, here's what GBA looks like on their site:

this is what i was advertised.

and here are pics i took just now after a couple months (got it in mid FEB of this year) of heavy use:

as patrickthehedgehog has pointed out, the buttons are indeed darker and the overall color isn't what i was expecting. from the pictures, i was assuming white or somewhere near it with bright red/pink-ish buttons but mine is straight up beige/off white + dark red/violet buttons with purple corners from the paint chipping LOL!

i baby this thing, i don't always have a case with me but if it's in my pockets, it's the only thing in said pocket.

i'd be happy to taker more pictures (or even a video) of the screen with games running if anyone is interested.

overall, i'd rate them a C. don't buy unless you have cash to throw around (in which case i'd still recommend something off eBay. you can even use the leftover cash you saved to get an EZ flash IV and still have money left over).

Wolfe

Wonder if he could have used more coats of paint. I repainted an SP a while back and have had a similar problem with my D-pad getting parts of the paint rubbed off. Admittedly I think I could have used a few more coats myself but I dunno if it would have helped in the end.

But yeah based on your description that's a bummer about the difference in the actual look. Makes me think of McDonalds with their burger photo shoots for menus and commercials compared to the slapped together stuff you get in the actual place.

Seik

Banned
i'm probably one of the few who got lucky to have a functional product from them. but i would never deal with RCG again. horrible customer service (this was before they hired someone to answer emails, i don't know if that's really changed anything though), overpriced as shit (i've seen some pretty decent backlit GBAs people got from eBay here with better customer service too apparently).

for reference, here's what GBA looks like on their site:

this is what i was advertised.

and here are pics i took just now after a couple months (got it in mid FEB of this year) of heavy use:

as patrickthehedgehog has pointed out, the buttons are indeed darker and the overall color isn't what i was expecting. from the pictures, i was assuming white or somewhere near it with bright red/pink-ish buttons but mine is straight up beige/off white + dark red/violet buttons with purple corners from the paint chipping LOL!

i baby this thing, i don't always have a case with me but if it's in my pockets, it's the only thing in said pocket.

i'd be happy to taker more pictures (or even a video) of the screen with games running if anyone is interested.

overall, i'd rate them a C. don't buy unless you have cash to throw around (in which case i'd still recommend something off eBay. you can even use the leftover cash you saved to get an EZ flash IV and still have money left over).

Yeesh.

I was thinking about getting one of their GBA one day, fuck it.

Saw them side by side and assuming the RSG system isn't darker because of internal settings thing the SP is dramatically brighter, has much less ghosting and the color balance is perfect. My RSG system has a mix of darker colors (pink tending to show as red).

Mainly, I feel like an ass for not just tracking down an SP101 and opting for an overpriced modded frankensystem instead.
Sorry to hear of your poor experience. Don't waste your money guys, avoid Rose Colored Gaming. What a joke.

Here's my latest pick up:

Crash & Spyro Superpack Vol. 2 from Amazon (third party but fulfilled by Amazon). I bought it for £13.99. The box arrived a little squashed, so I chatted online to an Amazon rep to complain, and he's refunding me £10! So I ended up with this for £3.99, what a hit.

My experience with RCG was ok. Got a Dingy. First one had issues with the screen but i was lucky in that i got it at the iam8bit booth at SXSW and was able to replace it.

I can see how they may be viewed in a bad light with the CS issues and the declining QA.

Shame really as the only issue i have with mine is the power light going red to green. Does not power off but it is distracting.

The ghosting i can deal with as i lose notice of it after a while.

Stay clear if you do not want to deal with said issues.

Teknoman

Thanks for that, I was looking on eBay UK.I liked Conker on GBC back in the day. I just remember getting to a crazy mission where I had to shoot a certain number of things within a short space of time, and could never beat it.

EDIT: also, you can't put a backlight in GB/GBCs, just frontlights apparently. A backlight would look great, no doubt.

Oh, sorry about that.

Rich!

I still don't understand why people carry on purchasing from RCG despite the overwhelming amount of negative feedback.

it's absolutely mind boggling.

womp

I still don't understand why people carry on purchasing from RCG despite the overwhelming amount of negative feedback.

Me either, especially for the prices. The $80 one I got off eBay a few months ago uses the same screen source as RCG and for all intents and purposes is the same exact device they sell just without a 'fancy' paint job. Besides some minor dust under the screen (which some scotch tape took care of in seconds), the thing runs like a champ and plays wonderfully.

Not to the mention the seller and I had some great discussion on the side about how he modded them and some specifics...

We need like a public PSA that RCG is shitty. I totally drooled over the pictures on the website and they hype on Tinycast roped me in to wasting some money. After this past week's episode I suppose it makes sense in that it doesn't seem like anyone on Tinycast actually has an RCG system...

Wasn't aware of the feedback in this thread until I was already charged.

Peagles

I think it's a combination of their pretty pictures, the hype, and people being a bit hesitant to try mod themselves.

Also usually our gut will tell us that's it's better to go through a "company" than say, "some eBay seller", and usually our gut is right, but RCG is an exception. Often paying more and going somewhere that looks more "legit" will pay off, but not with RCG.

For any gaffers in New Zealand wanting this mod done, or anyone who would want to ship here, please, if you're considering RCG, don't. I'll happily do it for you. No bullshit. No fancy paint jobs or nothing, but no bullshit. Seriously.

I think it's a combination of their pretty pictures, the hype, and people being a bit hesitant to try mod themselves.

Also usually our gut will tell us that's it's better to go through a "company" than say, "some eBay seller", and usually our gut is right, but RCG is an exception. Often paying more and going somewhere that looks more "legit" will pay off, but not with RCG.

For any gaffers in New Zealand wanting this mod done, or anyone who would want to ship here, please, if you're considering RCG, don't. I'll happily do it for you. No bullshit. No fancy paint jobs or nothing, but no bullshit. Seriously.

Where do you source your screens though? I'm willing to DIY a mod, but finding a backlit screen without gutting a perfectly good AGS-101 has been impossible for me so far.
The front light I ordered for a GBC mod I tried earlier was complete trash, completely opaque so you couldn't see the screen, so I'm super wary of random Chinese online stores for GB parts after that.

putermcgee

I'd like to see more pictures of the mods people have gotten from RCG... and not under halogen lights, but in real, natural light.

I got a GBC from RCG about 9 months ago:
- Shell had too many dings and dents, I know they repaint old shells but this is ridic
- Screen had dust underneath
- Buttons don't properly work, specifically START barely works and the dpad is stiff as heck
- Took over a week to get somewhat of an answer from them, by then I was just over it and just assumed I overpaid for a piece of crap

Top Bottom