• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Wow, yeah that kind of condition is pretty unheard of for a garage sale, how much did you pay?

$10 each. The seller's games were mostly PS2/Xbox sports stuff that he charged the same price for, so I don't think that he knew what he had or anything, he just accidentally happened to price a couple of things semi-appropriately :lol

There was also a CIB Konami NFL Football along with the other two GB games, but I (rightly) assumed that it wasn't as good a buy as the other two.

I agree, so to whoever asked about a link to the modded GBA, I would suggest against buying from Wii123.

This.

No no, just the plastic "shield" that's above the screen. Did not touch the screen iteslf.

Ah, ok. Well should be easy to replace those. No sense being bothered by an annoying scratch during gameplay after you went to the trouble of cleaning things up.

Do you mean the plastic box protectors or the occasional plastic wrap? If it's the latter then they're just the original shrink wrap that I left for some additional protection.

Ah I see, guess I'll figure something out unless what I mentioned is not a worry.

$10 each. The seller's games were mostly PS2/Xbox sports stuff that he charged the same price for, so I don't think that he knew what he had or anything, he just accidentally happened to price a couple of things semi-appropriately :lol

Nice, $10 a piece is definitely reasonable for the condition those are in. I need to hit up the garage sales more, no good thrift stores here.

-KRS-

Ah I see, guess I'll figure something out unless what I mentioned is not a worry.

I don't think boxes degrade by just being kept together. They can however start to yellow if you put them in bags that are not acid free. Those box protectors that people have are made out of acid free plastics. The main purpose of them is to prevent shelf wear and such. Rather the box protectors get scratched than the box itself.

Hey guys nice thread. I started collecting recently myself. Here's my collection so far.

Br3d9g-CMAAXhKK.jpg:large

I started playing Super Mario Advance yesterday for the first time and it's not what I expected. I thought it was going to be a port of the All*Stars version of SMB2, but they added a lot of new stuff like bosses have actual voice over lines, the Advance coins , the Yoshi eggs and a lot more fun stuff.

Everyone has a great collection! I'm looking to buy an AGS 101 and a Micro (preferably the Famicom edition), but prices are so inflated online. I've tried my hand at thrift stores and independent game shops, but to no avail. I'm going to keep trying, though.

F-Zero and AW2 are still sealed in their boxes. I haven't opened them (and probably won't).

Not pictured: Black Game Boy Player+GB Player Startup Disc

Teknoman

Make sure to look in those little baggies that have calculators, dolls, etc. in em. Alot of the time, GBA systems slip through (especially SP and micro) and get added in those bags for like 3 bucks. Its not a common occurrence, but its happened several times in this thread (and to myself) already.

Grizzo

You'll always find bad experiences out there for EVERY e-commerce on the planet.
There's people out there who will complain about freakin' Amazon. Yes, Amazon.
Would you stop using Amazon if I tell you I've had a couple bad experiences with them?

NeoGAF's PLAY-ASIA Coupons up for grabs Thread

I dunno man, it's your call :)

I get what you mean, I had bad experiences with Amazon and eBay and still use both of them on a weekly basis. But it's just that I had never ever ordered anything from Play-Asia before. I'm more wary when I order things from Japan, since it's really far from where I live.

Plus I thought the game was Climax but it turned out to be GP Legend, haha. But thanks a lot for the link to that thread. I'll be more inclined to order from P-A next time around!

I don't think boxes degrade by just being kept together. They can however start to yellow if you put them in bags that are not acid free. Those box protectors that people have are made out of acid free plastics. The main purpose of them is to prevent shelf wear and such. Rather the box protectors get scratched than the box itself.

Thanks, I'm not going to worry about it for awhile then.

Hey guys nice thread. I started collecting recently myself. Here's my collection so far.

Br3d9g-CMAAXhKK.jpg:large

I started playing Super Mario Advance yesterday for the first time and it's not what I expected. I thought it was going to be a port of the All*Stars version of SMB2, but they added a lot of new stuff like bosses have actual voice over lines, the Advance coins , the Yoshi eggs and a lot more fun stuff.

Everyone has a great collection! I'm looking to buy an AGS 101 and a Micro (preferably the Famicom edition), but prices are so inflated online. I've tried my hand at thrift stores and independent game shops, but to no avail. I'm going to keep trying, though.

F-Zero and AW2 are still sealed in their boxes. I haven't opened them (and probably won't).

Not pictured: Black Game Boy Player+GB Player Startup Disc
What were the pokemon tcg e reader cards for?

maxcriden

I actually just picked up an e-reader recently with some of those SMB3 cards, to play some new levels. I'd like to pick up the rest at some point as well.

Scanna

Finally scavenged a copy of Boktai! always wanted to play this game :D
10€ including shipping..the box is not in good conditions, but the price is still ok

My girlfriend got me a GameBoy Micro for our anniversary, this is an item I wanted for years now, I love it, I had never seen one in real life, its beautiful and the screen looks really sharp compared to my SP 101.

The screen is a bit scratched but Im guessing I can just get a new front cover for it, right?

maxcriden

My girlfriend got me a GameBoy Micro for our anniversary, this is an item I wanted for years now, I love it, I had never seen one in real life, its beautiful and the screen looks really sharp compared to my SP 101.

The screen is a bit scratched but Im guessing I can just get a new front cover for it, right?

Yes, you can, although they're a bit hard to find. If it's the faceplate that's scratched you can definitely just take it off temporarily to make sure it's that and not the LCD that's scratched. BTW, happy anniversary!

Het_Nkik

Are any of the Ninja Turtles games for the OG Game Boy any good? I loved me some 8- and 16-bit Turtles games but I never played the handheld ones.

Dishwalla

Banned
I like Fall of the Foot Clan and Back From the Sewers, but I think Foot Clan is the better of the two. Never played Radical Rescue; I own over 400 Game Boy titles and I've never owned that one. I should seek it out.

I like Fall of the Foot Clan and Back From the Sewers, but I think Foot Clan is the better of the two. Never played Radical Rescue; I own over 400 Game Boy titles and I've never owned that one. I should seek it out.
Wow. Please post pictures of your collection if you can.

This is one of my favourite threads on GAF. I'm waiting for a few Gameboy-related items to arrive, so will post more pictures soon.

Slermy

GameBoy Player is kinda annoying too due to the judder (frame drops?) every 5 seconds or so. Honestly there's no easy answer. I use an SP 101 screen modded AGB-001 myself but just be aware that it's not perfect.

I've only ever noticed this with Shantae. Just thought it was unique to that game.

EDIT: Just saw the pics and there are kolona games on the GBA, they good?

I've only played a little of each, but they both seemed pretty good.

Are any of the Ninja Turtles games for the OG Game Boy any good? I loved me some 8- and 16-bit Turtles games but I never played the handheld ones.

I think Radical Rescue is supposed to be the best of the bunch, but I haven't played any of them.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
So I just bought Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and FireRed, Kirby Nightmare in dreamland, and Link ALTTP for 65! Though, Ruby, Sapphire and FireRed doesn't have its cover art :( What do you guys think? And where is a legit place to purchase GBA games?

So I just bought Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and FireRed, Kirby Nightmare in dreamland, and Link ALTTP for 65! Though, Ruby, Sapphire and FireRed doesn't have its cover art :( What do you guys think? And where is a legit place to purchase GBA games?

Great games, if you're asking if that was a good deal you got them pretty much for their market value give or take 5 bucks.

Sadsic

im selling all my old gbc/gba stuff on ebay right now. is it against ToS to link it here? i just figured you guys might be interested

im selling all my old gbc/gba stuff on ebay right now. is it against ToS to link it here? i just figured you guys might be interested
If these are authentic and not fakes, please post a link if you're allowed to here or PM me. I'd like to have a look ^_^

GUYS! Look what arrived in the post to me today. Been going back and forth over e-mail about this for a little while and finally bought it. It's my front lit, transparent Gameboy Color:

Sorry about the quality, I'm no David Bailey and I used an iPhone to take the pictures. You can't see the frontlit screen too well because I took the pictures in daylight.

This was done in the UK by http://www.gameboymods.co.uk/. I found the seller on eBay and e-mailed him quite a bit to ask lots of questions and get this one custom made for me. He does a lot of others too, but I was keen on this transparent one. Initially he did the mod and sent me pictures, but I wasn't happy with it because he routed the wires at the front and seeing as this is a transparent console, you could see them. He then re-did it and routed them through the back. Really nice chap. He's based in the UK, not sure if he will post outside of the country but definitely worthwhile going on his site and contacting him if you're interested (Nintendo Life recently did a feature on his site).

The eBay shop is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ssn=gamesnguitarguy&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

Doesn't seem to have any GBC mods on there at the moment, but you can always e-mail and make a personal request.

Can't wait to play some old-school GB/C games on this!

maxcriden

Yeah, go for it. I doubt anyone will care. You could always ask a mod. SB is right that you won't be allowed to post it in B/S/T, tho.

So the SNES and SFC themed GBAs from Rose Colored Gaming are up. $249 though.... Doesn't seem all too different from the other modded GBAs they sell. is this price gouging or am I missing something?

So the SNES and SFC themed GBAs from Rose Colored Gaming are up. $249 though.... Doesn't seem all too different from the other modded GBAs they sell. is this price gouging or am I missing something?

I remembered their custom Yoshi SNES Jr. they wes selling for $600 :lol.
This is pretty standard.

Of course, they've been making the rounds on bigger blogs like Kotaku, so they probably priced it on the high end to take advantage of the new publicity.
Everything I've read in this thread about them is a big red flag, and I wouldn't consider it.

20cent

Banned
I was constantly looking at their website/FB page before I found a brand new GBM somewhere else. I don't know how the paint hold up and they are too expensive IMO. but every (batch of) console they put for sale is sold out within minutes.

Slermy

I can't afford Shantae but I notice it on any game that scrolls quickly.

I lucked out with Shantae and bought it after the GBC heyday, but before Retro game collecting became big ($15 for a new in box copy nearly 15 years ago).

I should be a heathen and try it out in a Retron 5.

Here's an additional (in the dark) picture from my frontlit GBC purchase:

This little GBC looks awesome in person. Now I need to pick up some more GBC games:

Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle (had so much fun with this as a kid)
Tetris
Donkey Kong 94

Perhaps some GBC games I have yet to try. I never did complete Conker's Tales.

womp

This little GBC looks awesome in person. Now I need to pick up some more GBC games:

Tetris
Donkey Kong 94

Really sweet man! I would love one of these, but my OCD would probably go bonkers over any dust trapped under the screen. How does yours look in that regard?

Really sweet man! I would love one of these, but my OCD would probably go bonkers over any dust trapped under the screen. How does yours look in that regard?
I'm a bit OCD like you too, which is why I e-mailed back and forth quite a bit this guy. No dust behind the screen but there seems to be a tiny black mark if you look really carefully. I'm not sure what it is and I couldn't wipe it off, but it's barely noticeable. Especially when you're playing. The guy was pretty honest up front and said to me that you can't prevent dust from appearing underneath the screen afterwards, as the way these things were made dust can get in. I guess it's a sacrifice you have to live with.

EDIT: Now I need to find a carry case for it, as all my portables have one. These don't seem easy to come by :(

womp

I'm a bit OCD like you too, which is why I e-mailed back and forth quite a bit this guy. No dust behind the screen but there seems to be a tiny black mark if you look really carefully. I'm not sure what it is and I couldn't wipe it off, but it's barely noticeable. Especially when you're playing. The guy was pretty honest up front and said to me that you can't prevent dust from appearing underneath the screen afterwards, as the way these things were made dust can get in. I guess it's a sacrifice you have to live with.

EDIT: Now I need to find a carry case for it, as all my portables have one. These don't seem easy to come by :(

Yeah that dust is the reason I have been hesitant...I am leaning more towards a backlit Pocket if anything. In any case, that looks really great. Enjoy!

Tetris
Donkey Kong 94

Nice mod!

Like shmups? I highly recommend R-TYPE DX (the first two games on one cart, GBC and GB compatible):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNEf2wRHmo8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

and Capcom's solid GBC 1942 port (GBC only):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGLV6t5p1vc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit:

Project S-11 is an enjoyable GBC only vertical shooter with nice visuals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TfguhT0FYA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And for another pick, Blaster Master Enemy Below is a fantastic GBC exclusive sequel (I bought mine on 3DS eShop though as complete runs apprx $60 and loose cart apprx $20):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUmuMRckmhs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Nice mod!

Like shmups? I highly recommend R-TYPE DX (the first two games on one cart, GBC and GB compatible):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNEf2wRHmo8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

and Capcom's solid GBC 1942 port (GBC only):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGLV6t5p1vc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit:

Project S-11 is an enjoyable GBC only vertical shooter with nice visuals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TfguhT0FYA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And for another pick, Blaster Master Enemy Below is a fantastic GBC exclusive sequel (I bought mine on 3DS eShop though as complete runs apprx $60 and loose cart apprx $20):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUmuMRckmhs&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Thanks for the recommendations. I used ot enjoy schmups back in the day on SNES. May check some out. R-Type DX is pretty expensive and rare on eBay!

Thanks for the recommendations. I used ot enjoy schmups back in the day on SNES. May check some out. R-Type DX is pretty expensive and rare on eBay!

Yeah, I'm glad I still have my copy from when I bought it back in '99. Also the same year IREM released R-TYPES and R-TYPE Delta for PSX, good times.

Top Bottom