• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

smuf

Ordered the screenkit from lee_chan1985 on eBay. I'll be sure to post pictures and impressions once it's installed.

Tamanator

Have you tried his mail, zereyzhang@yahoo.com ?

I tried, yet to receive a response after a week. This coupled with his taobao page for the ribbon cable now redirecting to another page suggests that he's gone.
Plus we are talking about using taobao to purchase some sort of 'super ribbon cable adapter' in order to do a 'super' version of the mod. (Ask Peagles for the specifics). I will talk to my brother who does have some knowledge of Mandarin, he may be able to help.

I really want a modded gba screen. What's the best way to get one?

Seems to either be buying an already modded unit on ebay, buying the kit on ebay and doing the mod yourself or finding someone like Peagles who kindly offered to do it for gaf members if you contact hm, to do it for you.

Holy crap, Agent Unknown, your GBA mod is spectacular. Just the right color and brightness.

Thanks! There's a bit of ghosting sometimes but it's just the native ghosting effect that the 101 screen had. Otherwise yeah, the color and contrast are crisp and perfect. I have more pics a few pages or so back.

I tried, yet to receive a response after a week. This coupled with his taobao page for the ribbon cable now redirecting to another page suggests that he's gone.
Plus we are talking about using taobao to purchase some sort of 'super ribbon cable adapter' in order to do a 'super' version of the mod. (Ask Peagles for the specifics). I will talk to my brother who does have some knowledge of Mandarin, he may be able to help.

If it's not too much to ask please keep trying, we'd be so grateful, and yeah, if your brother can help that would be great. Peagles and I are desperate to get some of those cables!

prateeko

Thanks! There's a bit of ghosting (but it's just the native ghosting effect that the 101 screen had), otherwise yeah, the color and contrast are pretty much perfect. I have more pics a few pages or so back.

If it's not too much to ask please keep trying, we'd be so grateful, and yeah, if your brother can help that would be great. Peagles and I are desperate to get some of those cables!

Sorry if I missed it, but where did you get your mod done?

I have a hankering to play pokemon crystal as I never played that generation, my fiancé has it but the German version, I just moved here to Germany and don't know the language yet, I figure you can't but is there a way to play it in English?

cafemomo

I have a hankering to play pokemon crystal as I never played that generation, my fiancé has it but the German version, I just moved here to Germany and don't know the language yet, I figure you can't but is there a way to play it in English?

Nope.

If you want it in English, then you're better off importing the US or UK version.

Sorry if I missed it, but where did you get your mod done?

I got it from an eBay dealer named wii123 who I do NOT recommend. He sent me a unit with a defective screen that dust under the screen. He was quick about getting me a replacement with a very good screen but I still had to use tape to clean a bunch of dust and specks out from under the cover. Someone else here recently had the same experience with him. There's good dealers on eBay selling backlit GBA mods, just make sure to be selective and ask the seller questions about the condition of the unit before you bid.

Peagles

Have PM'd you!

hitgirl

Bought a GB Boy Colour and was very impressed. I need to get my GBC games, how do you spot fakes on ebay? Also all my GBA games scale up amazingly on PC on a 50" TV, it's insane how great some of these games look and play.

Bought a GB Boy Colour and was very impressed. I need to get my GBC games, how do you spot fakes on ebay? Also all my GBA games scale up amazingly on PC on a 50" TV, it's insane how great some of these games look and play.

I might be wrong (probably wrong) but I rarely see fake GBC games on eBay. GBA seems to he the point where pirates went crazy with making fake carts, the only fake GB/GBC games I've seen are the weird and obvious "4378094723 games in one!" carts.

Highwind

I am close to buying one of those cool GBA systems with the backlit screen.

But I want to know something before I do it. Are all systems with the backlit screen using AGS-101 screens or is there someone that sells screens which are similar? If so what's the quality difference between those screens and the AGS-101.

Don't want to get a system and have all sorts of pixel issues in it, especially when all ebay sellers don't accept returns for these things. I currently live in the UK.

Thank you.

I am close to buying one of those cool GBA systems with the backlit screen.

But I want to know something before I do it. Are all systems with the backlit screen using AGS-101 screens or is there someone that sells screens which are similar? If so what's the quality difference between those screens and the AGS-101.

Don't want to get a system and have all sorts of pixel issues in it, especially when all ebay sellers don't accept returns for these things. I currently live in the UK.

Thank you.

People keep saying they've heard of bootleg AGS-101 screens but I find it really hard to believe. I think they're just surprised by how bad the AGS-101 screen is when many people talk about it like its perfection (still the best GBA screen).

putermcgee

Is this a good price for a modded GBA? The seller seems pretty legit, but I'm not sure how much these run for with non-shady sellers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Ga...ght-BackLit-Mod-Glacier-AGS-101-/261515090940

The description says only real Nintendo parts were used, so I'm guessing the screen isn't an aftermarket 3rd party part. Also, the seller shows a minor scratch on the screen, but I figured that's easily replaceable with a glass one anyway.

womp

People keep saying they've heard of bootleg AGS-101 screens but I find it really hard to believe. I think they're just surprised by how bad the AGS-101 screen is when many people talk about it like its perfection (still the best GBA screen).

Most of these, including mine above, are gutted OG GBA's placed in a third party shell using third party equivalent screens. Very rarely will you find ones using official 101 screens.

Not even Rose Colored does...

As a matter of fact they even sell the same 'do it yourself' kits that the import Chinese dealers do on eBay, that is where they get them from to begin with.

Here's a link to my post of some screen shots...judge for yourself, but I think the screen is great. I personally wouldn't pay over $100 though, only because you can find them around that price range easily.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=106860497

I find it hard to believe that they're bootleg screens because of the cost and scale that would be required to start producing brand new GBA SP screens, with the weird 3:2 aspect ratio, at exactly 99.46 PPI and 2.9 inches, with the weird non-standard GPA SP connector (both kinds) and put it all in a package that looks and feels identical to an actual GBA SP 101 screen.

I mean yeah it's China so it's possible to make this stuff, but even then only at scale. How many people are going to buy repro GBA SP screens? Dozens? Hundreds at most? At that rate you might as well just harvest some "e-waste" from America (much of which ends up in China anyway) for GBA SP screens. Especially since the one I bought seems to have light damage consistent with being inside a GBA SP. Looking at sales, Nintendo sold ~6 million GBA SPs in the US alone since the 101 came out; there ought to be enough e-waste available to find a few hundred functioning GBA SP 101 screens and hawk them on ebay.

Rich!

I find it hard to believe that they're bootleg screens because of the cost and scale that would be required to start producing brand new GBA SP screens, with the weird 3:2 aspect ratio, at exactly 99.46 PPI and 2.9 inches, with the weird non-standard GPA SP connector (both kinds) and put it all in a package that looks and feels identical to an actual GBA SP 101 screen.

I mean yeah it's China so it's possible to make this stuff, but even then only at scale. How many people are going to buy repro GBA SP screens? Dozens? Hundreds at most? At that rate you might as well just harvest some "e-waste" from America (much of which ends up in China anyway) for GBA SP screens. Especially since the one I bought seems to have light damage consistent with being inside a GBA SP. Looking at sales, Nintendo sold ~6 million GBA SPs in the US alone since the 101 came out; there ought to be enough e-waste available to find a few hundred functioning GBA SP 101 screens and hawk them on ebay.

There most definitely are fakes around. You know how? Because there were a shitload of fake GBA SP 101s made in China. They copied the design of the official console almost exactly, but the screens are shit.

In fact, I ended up with one when purchasing a screen kit from eBay. I posted it on here - it was most definitely not a real 101 screen.

Every fake GBA I've seen or heard of has a screen with the wrong aspect ratio and resolution, probably because it's hard to find off-the-shelf 240x160 2.9 inch screens.

The screen you installed was probably legit, you just botched the install. It's OK -- it happens. I bought a new screen/cable cause I fucked mine up when I was modifying something inside my backlit OG GBA (trying to replace the brightness switch with an easier to use on). When I installed the new one it took a few attempts to get the cable lined up strait with the contacts, make sure my soldering was right, that I didn't splatter any solder anywhere it shouldn't be, etc.

Rich!

Every fake GBA I've seen or heard of has a screen with the wrong aspect ratio and resolution, probably because it's hard to find off-the-shelf 240x160 2.9 inch screens.

The screen you installed was probably legit, you just botched the install. It's OK -- it happens. I bought a new screen/cable cause I fucked mine up when I was modifying something inside my backlit OG GBA (trying to replace the brightness switch with an easier to use on). When I installed the new one it took a few attempts to get the cable lined up strait with the contacts, make sure my soldering was right, that I didn't splatter any solder anywhere it shouldn't be, etc.

I most definitely did not botch the install, and I take offence at you assuming so. Ive installed more than one and this was the only dodgy one.

Other gaf members can vouch that I know what I'm doing...I hope,lol

The screen was most definitely not legit - it was a world apart from my real AGS-101. The colours were completely off and the response time was shockingly bad.

Peagles

I think possibly whatever factory produced the screens for Nintendo kept producing them, so there's still legit screens being made new today but being sold to whoever wants them for whatever purpose. The difference between these and the screens you could pull from a 101 yourself? Probably nothing except Nintendo would have had some quality control on any that were sold inside a system they manufactured.

I've replaced maybe 50 DS Lite screens in my time, and I ordered all my parts from China. Of that there were maybe 5 LCDs that had problems (weird unfixable refresh rate, weird colours, blank lines on screen, dead/stuck pixels) and the rest were indistinguishable from the screens that originally came in the systems.

womp

Considering some Chinese sellers for the screen kits on eBay have had '30 of 250' sold in their auctions....believe it.

What's the import game in the second pic? Might as well post a few more pics of mine as well. 8)

FBB88E7D-B8E5-4DD5-8247-697AC43F63CF-4897-000003811C8A387D_zpsf9715006.jpg

8DBB7A50-07F2-4C74-82BA-5C4D75CFF5BF-4897-0000038083703F9B_zpse93c6f5e.jpg
Nice GBA! I have two GBA SP 101s, a Micro and a frontlit GBC. I need to get one of these to complete my collection. The only thing I dislike about the original GBA is that the D-pad is awful for the Street Fighter games.

-KRS-

I might be wrong (probably wrong) but I rarely see fake GBC games on eBay. GBA seems to he the point where pirates went crazy with making fake carts, the only fake GB/GBC games I've seen are the weird and obvious "4378094723 games in one!" carts.

My friend bought bootleg GB or GBC (not sure what they actually were) carts of Blade and I think some Batman game. So they do exist. But they were very obvious fakes with weird shells for the carts that said "GAME" instead of "GAME BOY" on them. The bootlegs that actually try to do a good job of fooling people are indeed mostly for the GBA and DS it seems.

Great, now I'm kinda paranoid I have a bootleg screen. Even if it is, it looks excellent and I really don't think I could distinguish it from my SP's default/lower brightness setting.

Nice GBA! I have two GBA SP 101s, a Micro and a frontlit GBC. I need to get one of these to complete my collection. The only thing I dislike about the original GBA is that the D-pad is awful for the Street Fighter games.

Thanks! My GBA history: I imported a purple GBA 001 back in March 2001 and copy of SMBA before the June U.S. launch (was amazing having a Nintendo system several months ahead of time), a few years later gave it to a friend when I got my front lit Cobalt blue SP which I eventually gave to my sister and her husband.

I still have my black GBA 101 which I bought in 2005 and it worked great up until last summer when the battery finally started to give out. I've tried replacing the battery with third party/Chinese replacements twice this past year. The first battery was a piece of junk. The second I got from an eBay dealer and it was supposed to be a newly manufactured Chinese battery.

I thought I had a winner that time because I tested it by leaving the unit on overnight with the screen open and the Metroid Zero attract screen running and when I woke up, it was still kicking. Apparently attract screens aren't a good barometer for battery capacity though because after fully recharging, it went to lasting only 2-3 hours. After that I was fed up and found out about the backlit modded 001 scene in this great thread, so no more lithium ion battery worries. In light of the problem with SP batteries losing capacity, I REALLY wish Nintendo would stop using lithium ion batteries in most of their products for this reason. Years later and DS/3DS will begin to suffer the same fate because of their respective batteries.

Great, now I'm kinda paranoid I have a bootleg screen. Even if it is, it looks excellent and I really don't think I could distinguish it from my SP's default/lower brightness setting.

Thanks! My GBA history: I imported a purple GBA 001 back in March 2001 and copy of SMBA before the June U.S. launch (was amazing having a Nintendo system several months ahead of time), a few years later gave it to a friend when I got my front lit Cobalt blue SP which I eventually gave to my sister and her husband.

I still have my black GBA 101 which I bought in 2005 and it worked great up until last summer when the battery finally started to give out. I've tried replacing the battery with third party/Chinese replacements twice this past year. The first battery was a piece of junk. The second I got from an eBay dealer and it was supposed to be a newly manufactured Chinese battery.

I thought I had a winner that time because I tested it by leaving the unit on overnight with the screen open and the Metroid Zero attract screen running and when I woke up, it was still kicking. Apparently attract screens aren't a good barometer for battery capacity though because after fully recharging, it went to lasting only 2-3 hours. After that I was fed up and found out about the backlit modded 001 scene in this great thread, so no more lithium ion battery worries. In light of the problem with SP batteries losing capacity, I REALLY wish Nintendo would stop using lithium ion batteries in most of their products for this reason. Years later and DS/3DS will begin to suffer the same fate because of their respective batteries.
Sorry to hear about your battery woes. Where are you based? I could have sworn I saw GBA SP batteries on sale at the NOA online shop.

YES! Look:

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/brow...dgets/productListRangeRow.jsp.addToCartFormId

Only $15

I am tempted to pick up a couple to protect myself in the future...

Sorry to hear about your battery woes. Where are you based? I could have sworn I saw GBA SP batteries on sale at the NOA online shop.

YES! Look:

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/brow...dgets/productListRangeRow.jsp.addToCartFormId

Only $15

I am tempted to pick up a couple to protect myself in the future...

I'm in the U.S. I thought many times about getting one of those official 101 replacement batteries from Nintendo's store but I was told unless NOA bothers to replenish them yearly then it's likely they're probably not viable either. Guess only way to know would be to buy one I suppose or maybe ask someone at Nintendo customer service to verify.

Edit: That was fast. Link above is broken now and just goes to general Nintendo shop page, GBA no longer a category for replacement/refurbished parts:

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...goryId=57903&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

I'm in the U.S. I thought many times about getting one of those official 101 replacement batteries from Nintendo's store but I was told unless NOA bothers to replenish them yearly then it's likely they're probably not viable either. Guess only way to know would be to buy one I suppose or maybe ask someone at Nintendo customer service to verify.

Edit: That was fast. Link above is broken now and just goes to general Nintendo shop page, GBA no longer a category for replacement/refurbished parts:

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...goryId=57903&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference
You sure? I just accessed it again:

Are you saying it's no point getting one of these as they're likely to die even from non-use?

Definitely willing to, I just wonder if the international postage would make it not worth it though, most of these eBay sellers ship free so if you can find a good one it'd likely be a lot cheaper.
Just saw this response, I forgot that I had asked. TBH, I'd rather spend a bit more even with international postage to know that a member of these forums has taken great care doing the mod to a good standard. I'll have a look around on eBay but will buzz you some time if I can't find something decent.

Thanks.

I'm on the same boat, I don't think I'll advance to a modded GBA just yet, but when I do I rather use that money on someone who I can trust and know takes care on the mod rather than a random person over at ebay that does 20 a pop and doesn't even check for basic things.

When I do buy one it'll pretty much be the purchase of the month as little money will be left for other things (I usually spend 100 euros on gaming per month), so I need to know it'll be everything I hoped for.

Same for modded famicom/nes, snes... whatever it is I'm buying... I think services being offered on forums feel more "human" because from the beginning it's a gentleman's agreement and starts with a conversation or request/question, I feel that personal service needs to be rewarded with business.

Maximus.

Ordered an Atomic Purple Gameboy Color off Amazon. I hope it is in good condition, always sucks buying used electronics without testing it first. The pictures made it look to be in decent condition...anyways I am really excited because I always wanted this colour as a kid!

Also bought a Gameboy Micro, the condition isn't the greatest, but it was a really great deal!

Hello fellow GBers. My latest pick-up arrived in the post today:

I used to love this cartoon back in the day and had this game a number of years ago but don't know what happened to it. I picked it up off an Amazon marketplace seller who insisted it's authentic and thankfully it is. Cost me less than £4 with postage included. The only thing I remember not liking about this game is there was no save option, but a password system. Looking forward to playing it again!

P.S. I recently bought the DVD collection (seasons 1-5) for nostalgic purposes.

-KRS-

You sure? I just accessed it again:

Are you saying it's no point getting one of these as they're likely to die even from non-use?

Lithium batteries degrade over time even if not in use. It's the only real negative with lithium batteries. After two years they hold a charge of about 70% of what they used to when new from what I've heard. So if they've just been lying around for years who knows how well they'll work.

Edit: I'm getting a "No Product Found" page with that link btw.

Teknoman

Hello fellow GBers. My latest pick-up arrived in the post today:

I used to love this cartoon back in the day and had this game a number of years ago but don't know what happened to it. I picked it up off an Amazon marketplace seller who insisted it's authentic and thankfully it is. Cost me less than £4 with postage included. The only thing I remember not liking about this game is there was no save option, but a password system. Looking forward to playing it again!

P.S. I recently bought the DVD collection (seasons 1-5) for nostalgic purposes.

Move it football head!

Top Bottom