• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Peagles

Where do you source your screens though? I'm willing to DIY a mod, but finding a backlit screen without gutting a perfectly good AGS-101 has been impossible for me so far.
The front light I ordered for a GBC mod I tried earlier was complete trash, completely opaque so you couldn't see the screen, so I'm super wary of random Chinese online stores for GB parts after that.

Where have you tried to order from so far? I've had good 101 screens from eBay. I'm opposed to gutting an AGS-101 to be honest. Half the battle is installing it properly without dust under the screen, and then adjusting the pots to get the optimum refresh rate and contrast. From what I hear, RCG doesn't bother to tweak this as finely as is possible.

Front lights for GBC are usually gutted from GBA SP 001 models, and rotated sideways. If it's installed back to front, the screen will appear opaque.

womp

My eBay'd modded GBA is wonderful and cost 60% less than RCG's 'work'. Just look around for a good seller and not only do you save money, but will most likely get a better product too.

I have posted these before but...ehh...I love this thing. ;)

14+-+1
P1010136.JPG

Black AGS-001 are so nice. All my Nintendo handhelds are black except my GBC and that. I need to fix that.

GBCs never came in black did they?

B.K.

My eBay'd modded GBA is wonderful and cost 60% less than RCG's 'work'. Just look around for a good seller and not only do you save money, but will most likely get a better product too.

Who did you buy from?

Black AGS-001 are so nice. All my Nintendo handhelds are black except my GBC and that. I need to fix that.

GBCs never came in black did they?
There was a limited edition Japan only transparent black GBC that looks pretty cool. I was conisdering it when I was in the market for a GBC, but ultimately went for Midnight Blue limited edition.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Dammit now I need one of these. Which seller?

Just finished putting in an order for one yesterday. Same seller I'd imagine? (lee_chan1985)

womp

braves01

Banned
Is there a good place to get games GBA games repaired cheaply (i.e. less than the cost of replacing)? I've got damaged pins on the bottom of my Metroid Zero Mission cart that need fixing if possible.

Good to know that RCG is not reliable. I am in Japan right now so I am wondering if it will be easier for me to get one of the GBA SPs (GBA is region free, right?) with a better screen here. What model number would I be looking for?

Good to know that RCG is not reliable. I am in Japan right now so I am wondering if it will be easier for me to get one of the GBA SPs (GBA is region free, right?) with a better screen here. What model number would I be looking for?

The improved backlit GBA SPs never made it to the Japanese market. The odds of finding one over there is extremely slim.

Regardless, if you get really lucky and find an imported one over there, look for the AGS-101 model number.

womp

womp! what's that cute duck game? kurukurin?

One of my favorite puzzlers of all time - Guru Logic Champ. I am sad to say I am playing it on a flash cart however...I discovered it about ten years ago and to this day have not found a copy of the cart to buy in any easy manner. I don't think it is even rare, just obscure. Freaking fantastic game though and addictive as all hell with an insane amount of charm and personality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29xjS3fOq68

Kuru Kuru Kururin is great too though. :)

The improved backlit GBA SPs never made it to the Japanese market. The odds of finding one over there is extremely slim.

Regardless, if you get really lucky and find an imported one over there, look for the AGS-101 model number.

Oh that is too bad. Thanks for the heads up. Looks lik the cheapest one is around $130 on Amazon JP haha.

womp

Oh that is too bad. Thanks for the heads up. Looks lik the cheapest one is around $130 on Amazon JP haha.

Yeah, you are better off with eBay in that case...and yes, GBA is region free. All Nintendo portables were up until the DSi and unfortunately remain so until this day.

Tamanator

I think it's a combination of their pretty pictures, the hype, and people being a bit hesitant to try mod themselves.

Also usually our gut will tell us that's it's better to go through a "company" than say, "some eBay seller", and usually our gut is right, but RCG is an exception. Often paying more and going somewhere that looks more "legit" will pay off, but not with RCG.

For any gaffers in New Zealand wanting this mod done, or anyone who would want to ship here, please, if you're considering RCG, don't. I'll happily do it for you. No bullshit. No fancy paint jobs or nothing, but no bullshit. Seriously.

I might take you up on that offer (I'm in Australia) if I don't get a response from Zerry Zhang. Regarding your earlier question, I'm in the same boat. I have no clue how to make an order via taobao. I was going to ask my brother, who's somewhat fluent in Mandarin to do it for me, but since Zhang's page now redirects to an error page it doesn't look likely.
Sorry that I can't help you on that front.

Peagles

I might take you up on that offer (I'm in Australia) if I don't get a response from Zerry Zhang. Regarding your earlier question, I'm in the same boat. I have no clue how to make an order via taobao. I was going to ask my brother, who's somewhat fluent in Mandarin to do it for me, but since Zhang's page now redirects to an error page it doesn't look likely.
Sorry that I can't help you on that front.

It's actually something else I need to order from taobao, but it's a deluxe version of the ribbon cable adapter that Zherey makes. Basically it makes it possible to change between several different brightness levels via button combinations on the modded GBA, and it also goes brighter than the regular mods. Hit me up if you think you could help and you could be a guinea pig for a super mod hehe :p

Tamanator

It's actually something else I need to order from taobao, but it's a deluxe version of the ribbon cable adapter that Zherey makes. Basically it makes it possible to change between several different brightness levels via button combinations on the modded GBA, and it also goes brighter than the regular mods. Hit me up if you think you could help and you could be a guinea pig for a super mod hehe :p

Alright, pm me a link to the page, and I'll see if I can get my brother to do some translations for me when he gets back from overseas next month. I can't promise anything but I'll try to get him to explain to me how to make a purchase using the site if he can.

Peagles

I got my kits from the link above.

Great quality screens so far, haven't installed them all yet though.

The shells are third party but do the job if you have a wrecked shell and are an added bonus you could sell off if you don't need a new shell. They come pre-clipped to make room for the mod too so that can be handy.

Most people sell the screen alone for nearly that price, so it's not a bad deal with the extras too. I think I even got screwdriver sets with mine. The glass screen lens is godly, hehe. But it also comes with a plastic one too if you don't want glass.

Wow, that looks neat.

Peagles - any chance you're willing to ship mods internationally? Based in the UK here.

Is there anything special about Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2 on GBA? Are they expensive only because they're rare?

I think that they just had low sales, but are from popular series and so garner attention. Seems like a common thing among JP-only RPG ports on GBA -- it was cheap enough for them to justify making them even if they only sold a tiny amount.

I had a similar problem with some Dragon Quest spinoffs. I wanted to pick up copies of Torneko no Daibouken 2 and 3 (port and demake respectively) but not for $50+.

maxcriden

One of my favorite puzzlers of all time - Guru Logic Champ. I am sad to say I am playing it on a flash cart however...I discovered it about ten years ago and to this day have not found a copy of the cart to buy in any easy manner. I don't think it is even rare, just obscure. Freaking fantastic game though and addictive as all hell with an insane amount of charm and personality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29xjS3fOq68

Kuru Kuru Kururin is great too though. :)

That's awesome. It looks really charming! I'll try to check it out sometime. Thanks for the info!

Anth0ny

Man that's pretty. And sounds like a great price, too.

This GBA on RCG is stuff dreams are made of:

9048146_orig36rvy.jpg

But $250? Fuck that lol.

Peagles

Wow, that looks neat.

Peagles - any chance you're willing to ship mods internationally? Based in the UK here.

Definitely willing to, I just wonder if the international postage would make it not worth it though, most of these eBay sellers ship free so if you can find a good one it'd likely be a lot cheaper.

womp

Man that's pretty. And sounds like a great price, too.

This GBA on RCG is stuff dreams are made of:

But $250? Fuck that lol.

Ehh, I don't think it looks all THAT great...the colors of the buttons and even the D-pad are disappointing considering they are going that far to recreate it and sell it for that ridiculous price. The D-pad should be more a charcoal, not black...and either one of the A or B buttons should have been a lighter purple, instead of going straight purple for both. Start and Select should have been black too IMO.

I know I know...I'm nitpicking, but it irks me. :p

putermcgee

Their Super Famicom one looks a lot better, I think. Still, $250 means I'd be too afraid to open and play with it, making it a really expensive decoration.

womp

Their Super Famicom one looks a lot better, I think. Still, $250 means I'd be too afraid to open and play with it, making it a really expensive decoration.

Not to mention, afraid it would fall apart, judging from all the poor quality control posts in here. :p

Ehh, I don't think it looks all THAT great...the colors of the buttons and even the D-pad are disappointing considering they are going that far to recreate it and sell it for that ridiculous price. The D-pad should be more a charcoal, not black...and either one of the A or B buttons should have been a lighter purple, instead of going straight purple for both. Start and Select should have been black too IMO.

I know I know...I'm nitpicking, but it irks me. :p

Judging by those pictures earlier in the thread, chances are that the colors in the picture are totally off from the actual product anyways. :p

Yup...exactly. The D-pad color especially bothers me.
Start and Select are the biggest offenders to me.

And to be honest, the japanese/pal SNES controllers are pretty colorful to say the least and the USA version never made any sense (why go the duotone route? in order for it not to look a toy? colors help... a lot! in distinguishing between buttons, I had the same criticism for that premium X360 controller who's all grey - wtf Microsoft)

So, and as a european bloke I don't get the "we must stick to that" nonsense, it wasn't as intended to start with.

I'd pull it GC style, B is used for cancel in most nintendo games, so it's red, A is used to ok, so make it green for god's sake. (i'd do the same for any GBC too, although I always get confused on that one due to the pikachu version, as colors look switched). Plan B would be using the duotone purple on the A and B, not the shoulders.

Keep the shoulder buttons exactly like the SNES ones I say, gray.

There should be something like colorware:

-> http://www.colorware.com/p-471-xbox-one-controller.aspx

With a retro console catalog. (and cheaper)

Mom was on a business trip in Japan and she brought me back terry's wonderland

Now I got a sudden urge to buy some cib jp gbc games cause these boxes are so cool looking

Nice, I picked up the same a couple months ago. The DQM box is so much better than the crap DWM box we got:

4H26f1L.jpg

At least it actually came out here.

I was also kinda surprised there were gray cartridge GBC games there.

I got a GBC from RCG about 9 months ago:
- Shell had too many dings and dents, I know they repaint old shells but this is ridic
- Screen had dust underneath
- Buttons don't properly work, specifically START barely works and the dpad is stiff as heck
- Took over a week to get somewhat of an answer from them, by then I was just over it and just assumed I overpaid for a piece of crap

Yikes, based on this RCG sounds as bad as Wii123's GBA mods.

What's the import game in the second pic? Might as well post a few more pics of mine as well. 8)

FBB88E7D-B8E5-4DD5-8247-697AC43F63CF-4897-000003811C8A387D_zpsf9715006.jpg

8DBB7A50-07F2-4C74-82BA-5C4D75CFF5BF-4897-0000038083703F9B_zpse93c6f5e.jpg

Top Bottom