• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

luxarific said:
Yes as soon as I see the B, I start pressing like mad. What's weird is that I get past the first event with no problem, but during the second it's like I'm not even pressing the B button. Do we have to stick with the Lancer for that whole battle? Because I switched to the shotgun for part of it but then back to the Lancer before he came at me the second time. Do you think that might be the problem? The game's just not registering the fact that I'm using the Lancer? (But then why would it show me the B prompt?)

Ummm, I'd just make sure you switch back to Lancer with time to spare, as soon as the tickers are cleared I'd change back (shame you can't bash tickers with the lancer)

luxarific

Nork unification denier
sionyboy said:
Ummm, I'd just make sure you switch back to Lancer with time to spare, as soon as the tickers are cleared I'd change back (shame you can't bash tickers with the lancer)

I'm switching back before
the second pillar
comes down, so I'd think that'd be enough time, but maybe not. I'll try going through w/o switching at all. Frustrating though. I had a boomshot that the game made me drop when going from the preceeding cutscene to the battle (so it could add a lancer, which I wasn't carrying). Now I just have the shotgun, lancer, and pistol. I hope the forced drop isn't the source of the problem since I'll have to replay the whole chapter due to the position of the checkpoint save.

Ok, so I got to play some MP last night. WTF!!!!! Game feels so different. No weight to the characters, weapons feel less powerful, and the map layout and weapon positions feel off.

Maybe I just need more time with it, but right now, I'm heart broken. Please tell me it's still the Gears I know and love in there somewhere, Gears vets. PLEASE!!!!!

raYne

luxarific said:
I'm switching back before
the second pillar
comes down, so I'd think that'd be enough time, but maybe not. I'll try going through w/o switching at all. Frustrating though. I had a boomshot that the game made me drop when going from the preceeding cutscene to the battle (so it could add a lancer, which I wasn't carrying). Now I just have the shotgun, lancer, and pistol. I hope the forced drop isn't the source of the problem since I'll have to replay the whole chapter due to the position of the checkpoint save.
Shouldn't matter, as I had a weapon auto-replaced with the Lancer as well.

dark10x said:
I just can't understand this. The mechanics are virtually the same between the two games. Hell, just to confirm, I spent some time yesterday playing Gears 1 and, as I suspected, it really felt very much the same as the sequel. I still prefer the environments of Gears 1.

Furthermore, the sequel has too many long range battles, which just don't feel all that satisfying with most weapons. Gears 1 tends to keep the enemies in closer proximity to the player which I found more enjoyable. Gears 2 also focuses too heavily on all of its setpiece events (which ARE enjoyable) rather than providing more scenarios for the core gameplay. I do believe that Gears 2 will be less enjoyable to replay as a result. Its levels seem more impressive on the first run, but you spend far too much time "waiting" for things to occur. Gears 1 was once described as a platformer of sorts (moving from cover to cover) and I feel that Gears 2 doesn't quite put this to use as much as I would have liked.
Man do I agree with all this, and I'm glad you said it because I was about to play Gears 1 to see if I was misremembering. Rushing for cover and shooting dudes to death doesn't get old for me, but I tire of vehicle segments and switch flipping fast. So most of this setpiece stuff does nothing for me, and the shooting isn't as exciting for me due to the lower difficulty and emphasis on long range. I'm pretty disappointed so far.

Struct09

Didn't see it posted yet:

20081112.jpg

Penguin

I had fun with the GAF game last night. And some of my fans. :D

But was awesome with some well placed grenades took out the entire opposing team. :lol

Scarecrow

You know what I miss? I miss being able to pan the camera around my dude when I do any kind of execution move. It was so badass to circle the camera around my dude as he's chainsawing a man or doing a curbstomp.

unomas

Banned
Vustadumas said:
Ok, so I got to play some MP last night. WTF!!!!! Game feels so different. No weight to the characters, weapons feel less powerful, and the map layout and weapon positions feel off.

Maybe I just need more time with it, but right now, I'm heart broken. Please tell me it's still the Gears I know and love in there somewhere, Gears vets. PLEASE!!!!!

It's not, welcome to the world of smoke nade spamming, hammers, booms, and torques galore. The shotgun is now one of the worst guns in the game and the whole online multiplayer is completely different. Enjoy!

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Scarecrow said:
You know what I miss? I miss being able to pan the camera around my dude when I do any kind of execution move. It was so badass to circle the camera around my dude as he's chainsawing a man or doing a curbstomp.

Yeah I really miss that especially when you're chainsawing cos it takes so long.

wow just finished it on hardcore, some scenes were extremely frustrating for me at this difficulty but i gutted it out, great great game, felt like a epic movie, like Lord of the Rings. Thanks Epic for this game, great experience.

Haden

Banned
Hey wanted to make this post just to get my thoughts out there realise Cliffy B probably won't read this as this thread changes so much but nevermind.

I just wanted to say horde in this game is quite possible the finest MP experience ive played. This is a personal preference and partly because I haven't played many co-op games before but its also cause of the combination of this game being so dam tight technically with the bonds you form with people as you play.

For example today I went into a public game with three yanks all over 35 a 12 year old brit and me a 22 year old brit. None of knew each other but after a few rounds we were all joking, laughing, having holy shit moments, helping each other, discussing tactics and again just laughing a lot.

My fave mp experience before this was COD 4 cause it is such a rewarding game and so moreish. Horde is different it is a commitment but it brings people together in a way that cod 4 fails to. Obviously this is because it is a coop game against the computer but I also think its one of the finest examples of coop gaming ive ever seen.

So basically thanks Cliffy and Epic youve done very very good.

Now im off to play horde! :lol

zaidr

This game has some serious problems with its multiplayer...I just got chainsawed by a guy weilding a shotgun. He tries meleeing me, I roll away, and get vacuumed into his shotgun chainsaw. Amazing. Great job fucking this up Epic. Great job.

Raide

I dunno what everyone is moaning about, I loved the first vehicle sections! It is a nice change of pace and just the right length. :D

JB1981

zaidr said:
This game has some serious problems with its multiplayer...I just got chainsawed by a guy weilding a shotgun. He tries meleeing me, I roll away, and get vacuumed into his shotgun chainsaw. Amazing. Great job fucking this up Epic. Great job.

Gears multiplayer. Gotta love it. The exploits and glitchers will be running around crab-dancing and chainsawing people with the shotty in no time. Hopefully Epic just stays on it all (which i highly doubt).

With their gargantuan marketing budget they couldn't even put up some servers. Insomniac doesnt' have a problem with it (less players online, LOL PSN amirite?) so what is the excuse?

Gears 1 weapon balance was pretty much perfect. There was no need to nerf the shotty and change the chainsaw - all we need was fairness in connection and servers would have remedied that. Now, all we get is a chainsaw spamming fest. Awesome sauce.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
zaidr said:

Yeah, they really screwed things up. The bitter, angry masses! [generic sigh animated gif]

Ok so, finished the game. Huzzah and all that stuff. Few questions;

-so what were the locust doing torturing humans? And why did Maria age so rapidly? What were they doing to people, and why?
-Ummm... I liked Tai, why did ya kill him off?
-I also liked Dizzy, bring him back? Please?
-Adam Fenix.... ooooh nice hook! What is going on there...

Awesome game, some marvellous set pieces that will be remembered for quite some time. Well done Epic and CliffordB, you really raised the bar.

Aladuf

Banned
Man, fuck playing with random people.. no GAFers were on when I went online a little while ago so I did some Public Elimination by myself. So I get into a match and it ends up being Warzone and about 2 rounds in I'm fighting a couple guys and I have 2 teammates near me but they were just standing in cover, so then I get knocked down and come crawling right to them, actually right in between them just telling them to revive me but instead they just stay there and plant their smoke tags and let me bleed out. Not to mention a match before that where I knock down a guy (and he has no teammates in sight) in Execution and before I could take 2 seconds to walk forward to execute him a teammate of mine thinks it's totally crucial to shoot his boomshot down from the scaffold and get the kill. :/

And of course right as I had to sign off to get ready for work a GAFer gets on and invites me. Oh well, can't wait for some real matches tonight with the guys. :lol

zaidr

tedtropy said:
Yeah, they really screwed things up. The bitter, angry masses! [generic sigh animated gif]

Why even post anything, if you have nothing to say? Its kind of weird. What did you just say, that I was bitter? Do you even know what that means? Are you even thinking, or copy pasting a rote reply?

Dark Octave said:
This system sounds good. Maybe more of a casual system, though I don't see it doing even half the numbers of current consoles. I hope it does as good as it can though. Only, why is it so expensive and why did they have to call it "Gazeboo" or whatever the fuck?
wrong thread

Baker

Banned
I'll just get this out of the way so I don't have to keep writing the same shit every afternoon...

To all the Insane Horders last night, we'll probably be taking more cracks at it every night around 8:30 central. Anyone is welcome, but of course the original cast will take precedence.

Only 34 rounds to go! :lol

I'm a little bummed by the amount of glitches still present in the game, and this is coming from somebody who will play religiously every day until November 7th, 2010. Since when does a melee with the Hammer cancel out a revved chainsaw? There was one instance last night where I was spectating another player and he shot two frags out of his shotgun. I know Aladuf has had something happen to him a few times with the cover system, but I can't remember exactly what it was.

I guess I can live with these things because I can honestly say that I have experienced no lag whatsoever in every game I've played. It's so fucking rewarding to be able to snipe someone without having to lead the shot. I'm optimistic that Epic will iron out these problems with the first patch. Besides, the game is just too much fun to let the little things stop you from playing. Every night we play there are at least 20-30 'Oh Shit!' moments that give us a few good laughs.

zaidr said:
Why even post anything, if you have nothing to say? Its kind of weird. What did you just say, that I was bitter? Do you even know what that means? Are you even thinking, or copy pasting a rote reply?

The situation you described sounds more like a lag thing. He probably still didn't have his Shotgun out, it just looked that way to you due to lag. I've come across a couple glitches. One of which made my shots not register on enemies in multiplayer, and the ammo counter never went down, so I never had to reload. But in general, they are rare glitches that will be fixed and the multiplayer itself plays great. More balanced than the first.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Baker said:
I'll just get this out of the way so I don't have to keep writing the same shit every afternoon...

To all the Insane Horders last night, we'll probably be taking more cracks at it every night around 8:30 central. Anyone is welcome, but of course the original cast will take precedence.

Only 34 rounds to go! :lol

what you can quit your horde match at a certain wave and continue where you left off??

Baker

Banned
kaizoku said:
what you can quit your horde match at a certain wave and continue where you left off??

Yeah.

You can start a Horde game at the farthest point you've got in any previous match (or anywhere in between).

Edit: I should have lied and said we all just paused our systems last night. :D

Disappointed this game only sold 2 million WORLDWIDE.

Crow eaten indeed, I thought this game stood a VERY good chance of dethroning Halo 3 :lol

Halo is untouchable confirmed.

Baker

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:

Crow eaten indeed, I thought this game stood a VERY good chance of dethroning Halo 3 :lol

This post would go great with the Gaming Forum Lingo thread that's floating around.

pr0cs

2 Minutes Turkish said:

agree, Halo3 is a good game but IMO Gears is the better package I was really hoping Gears2 would have outsold halo.

Shit...

Ok so I put in my Code for the map pack... and the download started. Out of no where I was disconnected from X-Box Live and when I try to re-enter the code it says it is invalid. What do I do?!

The map pack didn't even get to 1% and I take it that the code only works once. There is nothing in my download queue as well..

Shins

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
Since when does a melee with the Hammer cancel out a revved chainsaw?
Revved or revving? If its the latter, it always should. Bad enough that shooting at a revved chainsaw won't knock it down every time, but if I have quick enough reflex to bash someone before they can get the saw up all the way, that needs to remain as a reliable counter. Chainsaws ought to be a surprise. There's plenty of instances from the first and now second game where I'll jump on an unsuspecting sniper or camper with a chainsaw, but if I saw you coming and took steps to prevent what you're trying, that needs to work better. Elsewise, it discourages any other kind of play beyond running around and holding B.

In the first game, the problem was your invicibility while chainsawing which lowered risk. Now, the risk is low that you'll actually fail to chainsaw when you make an attempt. They fixed the problem but added it back in another way.

h3ro

Mad Decent said:
Shit...

Ok so I put in my Code for the map pack... and the download started. Out of no where I was disconnected from X-Box Live and when I try to re-enter the code it says it is invalid. What do I do?!

The map pack didn't even get to 1% and I take it that the code only works once. There is nothing in my download queue as well..

Go to Acct. Management and download history. Redownloading it from your list should do the trick...

Mad Decent said:
Shit...

Just go into account management -> download history and you should be able to redownload it. (similar thing happened to me with the Halo 3 beta).

Edit: snaps, beaten.

Mad Decent said:
Shit...

Go to download history (Marketplace blade - Account Management - Download history) should be listed there, just restart the download.

..... man i'm slow.

Shins

Banned
Mad Decent said:
Shit...

you're fucked and no one will be able to help you

sionyboy said:
Go to download history (Marketplace blade - Account Management - Download history) should be listed there, just restart the download.

..... man i'm slow.

Thanks guys. Ill try that when I get home!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Baker said:
Yeah.

You can start a Horde game at the farthest point you've got in any previous match (or anywhere in between).

Edit: I should have lied and said we all just paused our systems last night. :D

hmm I need to investigate this, I joined a horde match at wave 39, cleared wave 50 and didn't get anything for it. Later went back and got the achievement for waves 1-10, wonder where it will let me start off from.

pr0cs said:
agree, Halo3 is a good game but IMO Gears is the better package I was really hoping Gears2 would have outsold halo.
I think Gears is the better game but Video and Forge make Halo the more attactive package.

I really wish Gears had that.

S1kkZ

played 5 hours online co-op, today. it was awesome but there are way more technical issues in co-op (texture reloading, graphical glitches in cutscenes, slowdowns, bugs).

co-op is still awesome but i hope they fix this.

Halvie

Banned
JB1981 said:
Gears multiplayer. Gotta love it. The exploits and glitchers will be running around crab-dancing and chainsawing people with the shotty in no time. Hopefully Epic just stays on it all (which i highly doubt).

With their gargantuan marketing budget they couldn't even put up some servers. Insomniac doesnt' have a problem with it (less players online, LOL PSN amirite?) so what is the excuse?

Gears 1 weapon balance was pretty much perfect. There was no need to nerf the shotty and change the chainsaw - all we need was fairness in connection and servers would have remedied that. Now, all we get is a chainsaw spamming fest. Awesome sauce.

Is multiplayer really that glitchy right now?

dralla

Gears 1 was definitely not perfect in balance, the shotty's range was too long, the sniper was overpowered because of the active reloads, smoke grenades were worthless...and some others. it really just needed to be tweaked, not completely re-worked. im confident Epic will patch the game to fix the close range combat.

Top Bottom