• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Baker

Banned
Buckethead said:
I demand that Mortar be banned from Gears online. Totally ruins any fun.
Or atleast put the shells 1 per round.

I think they're awesome. You hear the shot go off and all that goes through your head is "oh shit oh shit get inside."

* I haven't been killed by one yet, so maybe I'm biased/naive.

kaizoku said:
hmm I need to investigate this, I joined a horde match at wave 39, cleared wave 50 and didn't get anything for it. Later went back and got the achievement for waves 1-10, wonder where it will let me start off from.

I'm assuming:

1) The host is the only person who can actually continue from a certain wave.
2) You need to start from Wave 1.

Baker said:
I'm assuming:

1) The host is the only person who can actually continue from a certain wave.
2) You need to start from Wave 1.
I can't confirm this, but I read a couple places that you need to do all of them sooner or later, but they don't have to be consecutive. (e.g. you can do 30-50 one day with friends, then go back and do 1-29 later.) There should be an indicator every few levels of how many you've done (xx/50).

Cornballer said:
I can't confirm this, but I read a couple places that you need to do all of them sooner or later, but they don't have to be consecutive. (e.g. you can do 30-50 one day with friends, then go back and do 1-29 later.) There should be an indicator of how many you've done (xx/50).
This. The order doesn't matter.

Also about achievements: I really love how Epic handled the achievements. With all the progression bars popping up, and the journal pinpointing where you have missed any cog-tags/magazines etc.

And holy shit at Act 2. Absolutely epic from
the sinking
till the end. The blood, the blood. Best blood ever.
Also, this is how you do a good cortana level
. I really can't imagine what still awaits me, I am already totally amazed and only played two acts so far...

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Cornballer said:
I can't confirm this, but I read a couple places that you need to do all of them sooner or later, but they don't have to be consecutive. (e.g. you can do 30-50 one day with friends, then go back and do 1-29 later.) There should be an indicator every few levels of how many you've done (xx/50).

yeah I just checked my journal thing and part of the black bar is filled up. So I'm guessing to get the achievement I need to do waves 14-38 or something like that.

anyone playing yet? I can't believe the lack of GAF games right now. sucks being in Europe sometimes.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Cornballer said:

Yup, my first thing in Horde was on waves 41-50, then I went from 1-35 with other people. I'm really close to Hoard the Horde now, just need to go up to 40. Before I did that it let me select wave 1, then nothing until 41-50.

Baker

Banned
Hellraizer said:
This. The order doesn't matter.

Yeah. I just meant that if your first foray into Horde was Wave 30, when you continued later, the game shouldn't let you choose levels 2-29.

kaizoku said:
anyone playing yet? I can't believe the lack of GAF games right now. sucks being in Europe sometimes.
Still at work. I'll be on in a few hours.
Baker said:
Yeah. I just meant that if your first foray into Horde was Wave 30, when you continued later, the game shouldn't let you choose levels 2-29.
Right, and that's probably the best way to check which levels you're missing.

Completed this a few days ago. Had far more fun in single player than I did with the first game... I still wont touch the standard multiplayer but I may give horde a blast.

Plus I'll have a few more runs through in co-op. :D

Baker

Banned
I finally checked out the stats at gearsofwar.com.

Is it over a day behind, or does it not track your private matches? I can understand some modes could be cheesed, but I think it should be a necessity for Horde.

Help, I'm stuck!

Act Three
I'm in the tank, in the mountain, at the point where you drop off a decent sized cliff, and the power goes out on the tank. Every time the power is restored, I'm destroyed by what I think are corpsers almost immediately. Like maybe I'll let off one or two cannon shots to no effect before blowing up and dying.

Am I even supposed to go that way, and if so, what am I doing wrong?!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just to confirm - the Horde achievement is for beating ALL FIFTY waves, not for beating wave 50. Meaning if you do them out of order and clear wave 50, you'll need to go back and do the lower ones.

dralla

Revengeance said:
Help, I'm stuck!

Act Three
I'm in the tank, in the mountain, at the point where you drop off a decent sized cliff, and the power goes out on the tank. Every time the power is restored, I'm destroyed by what I think are corpsers almost immediately. Like maybe I'll let off one or two cannon shots to no effect before blowing up and dying.

shoot the one thats face is exposed.

Amir0x

Banned
Revengeance said:
Help, I'm stuck!

Act Three

SOLUTION:
When the light turns on, look immediately for the corpser which has its legs up and not covering its body. You cannot miss a single shot, if you do the corpser which has its legs closed will kill you. They die in one shot, so just quickly shift from Corpser to Corpser as they open up.

Big-E

Revengeance said:
Help, I'm stuck!

Act Three

You are going the right way. Most frustrating portion of the game. You have to guess which corpser will open up first and shoot almost immediately. I found it easier if you hug the wall on the left as you begin to fall since it gives you a better shot at all of them as you can see them more easily.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
zaidr said:
Why even post anything, if you have nothing to say? Its kind of weird. What did you just say, that I was bitter? Do you even know what that means? Are you even thinking, or copy pasting a rote reply?

That second one you said. That sounds good.

It's a brand new game with approximately eighty bazillion people presently playing it on Live. It's going to have some balance issues and glitches that I'm sure will get at least partially worked out in patches, like just about any online-enabled game...ever.

pr0cs

_dementia said:
I think Gears is the better game but Video and Forge make Halo the more attactive package.

I really wish Gears had that.

well forge I found too limited to be really all that great, in all honesty I never bothered downloading anyone's forge updates because moving canned objects around on the same map seems pretty dull to me, maybe if it was more like Farcry2 where you can more heavily manipulate the game's world would I agree with it.

Video playback in Halo3 is awesome but I really don't see how it makes it the better package. I'd love to see something similar in Gears3 (or even a more competent screenshot util).

mjl86

Neo Member
Anyone else annoyed with Public matchmaking times? Specifically Horde. With 2 million units sold in the first weekend, I imagined that I would be able to get a group together for a game in less than 2 minutes. But right now it's just taking way too long.

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
I'm a little bummed by the amount of glitches still present in the game, and this is coming from somebody who will play religiously every day until November 7th, 2010. Since when does a melee with the Hammer cancel out a revved chainsaw? There was one instance last night where I was spectating another player and he shot two frags out of his shotgun. I know Aladuf has had something happen to him a few times with the cover system, but I can't remember exactly what it was.

I guess I can live with these things because I can honestly say that I have experienced no lag whatsoever in every game I've played. It's so fucking rewarding to be able to snipe someone without having to lead the shot. I'm optimistic that Epic will iron out these problems with the first patch. Besides, the game is just too much fun to let the little things stop you from playing. Every night we play there are at least 20-30 'Oh Shit!' moments that give us a few good laughs.
Same here, the few bugs in the game have me a bit bummed. The problems I've faced have been things like pressing A to go into cover (the kind that you can leap over) and right when my body slams against it my character just flies right over cover, chainsaw duels not happening when 2 people run up to each other clearly having their saws fully revved. Gameplay wise that's really it but there's the other things that I hope get a patch too and that's the sound glitches that sometimes happen when a round finishes up, and no voice chat for everyone who lived and died at the end of a round.

I'm the same way though, I'll be playing this more than anything else up until Gears 3 but right now these little things just irk me and if/when they get fixed I'll be totally happy. But in the end, these things are already a lot less annoying than bullet lag and all that. I'd take these issues over Gears 1 issues any day.

Wiggum2007

Playing through the campaign the first time alone, what difficulty should I play on? Normal in Gears 1 was perfect for me, I could manage to struggle through on Hardcore but Dom always dying was annoying. Is Gears 2 pretty much the same?

Kibbles

Does Gears 2 work with Xlink and XBC? I was thinking about getting the NXE and then playing on it through one of those...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wiggum2007 said:
Playing through the campaign the first time alone, what difficulty should I play on? Normal in Gears 1 was perfect for me, I could manage to struggle through on Hardcore but Dom always dying was annoying. Is Gears 2 pretty much the same?

I did it solo on Normal but would recommend Hardcore, 2 feels a lot easier for the most part.

Penguin

ThirdEngine said:
That's what we're hoping for.

I'll be on around 7:45-8:00. Just got home so I need to eat real fast. Hopefully tonight we can keep a solid room going.

Think played with you last night.

Are you the guy Aladuf kept calling clutch?

LJ11

Everyone just quits when they don't get their map or game mode. Epic needs provide more playlists, 5 on 3 isn't fun.

DarkKyo

dralla said:
nothing is answered in this game, all of the questions that were brought up were just ignored in the ending.
It's amazing how similar the endings feel... I really wanted it to end, personally.

However, that means that the end of GoW3 will have to be even more epic than the end of 2, and that will be a feat.

What's the point of having two player's choice playlists? It's pretty stupid. When I want to play I almost always want to play Warzone. They should make the playlists like this:
Multi-team playlist - features Wingman
Execution playlist - features Execution
Warzone Playlist - features Warzone
Team Objective - features Submission and Guardian
Team Territories - features KOTH and Annex
Horde Playlist - features Horde

Brakara

Wiggum2007 said:

You mean you played on Casual in Gears 1 (as there was no Normal)? Dom handles himself a lot better in this one, so go for Hardcore. I played on Normal myself, but even though it was great, I really should've done Hardcore instead. I guess I thought I was more rusty than I was. I'm playing through on Hardcore now, and everything just feels right. And Dom hasn't died on me yet (he has been downed a couple of times, but the other squad mates have always revived him).

mjl86 said:
Anyone else annoyed with Public matchmaking times? Specifically Horde. With 2 million units sold in the first weekend, I imagined that I would be able to get a group together for a game in less than 2 minutes. But right now it's just taking way too long.

MM is generally pretty fast for me. And I'm generally matched with players at my skill level. So far so good. The problem is people leaving (or being disconnected). I had three public horde matches tonight, and they all were ruined by people leaving. Same with the regular playlist. It's especially annoying when you're disconnected to the host. 18 waves of horde down the drain.

As it is today, public matches are no fun.

Amir0x

Banned
Hardcore seems simple alone, just utilize basic strategies of duck and cover. I'm almost finished the game, Act 5. Always easy to overcome. Insane seems different story.

JB1981

So I'm finally playing thru the SP campaign and I
the worm is sinking the cities ....

This game is un-fucking-believable. And the improvements to the graphics engine are just amazing. Best looking 360 game ever.

burgerdog

Tried some Horde earlier, it is so boring on Day One that I was about to write the whole mode off. Quit after we got to wave 23 or so and then did Horde on a few different maps and it was a blast. Can't wait to do that again, I'll be up for more games after the 19th(I dug my old pro out and made a dummy account and played live on that.) So how does the difficulty work over a public match? Is it auto-assigned based on your rank?

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
the slowness of the matchmaking system is just killing online playing for me. anyone else?

whitehawk

Banned
So, I tried Level 50 of Horde on INSANE.

Holy hell, I don't think I'm ever going to beat it. Like, christ, you get downed with one shot from a pistol basically.

Penguin

ThirdEngine said:
That's me. :lol

What map(s) were we playing when you were in the room?
Forgive me as I don't know the names too well.

But I joined in on Day One.
And then we did the stage that has the two set of stairs and the walk around.
Not sure the name.

Then we did.. I think it is called Stasis. Has the overhead platform.

Top Bottom