• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Smidget

Stupid question: Do the Flashback maps ONLY come up in the Flashback map playlist? If so, why? Shouldn't everyone on Live have the code?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Smidget said:
Stupid question: Do the Flashback maps ONLY come up in the Flashback map playlist? If so, why? Shouldn't everyone on Live have the code?

Only people who purchased new copies of the game have the maps, so they need to be in separate playlists.

Baker

Banned
Smidget said:

"Has the code" doesn't necessarily mean they activated it. They'll probably have to make it paid DLC before it can be added to the lists (for all the used shoppers).

F#A#Oo

Banned
Anyone know the specifics of the achievement..."Friends with Benefits" (Complete all acts in Co-op on any difficulty).

Me and my friend were playing Co-op but at some point he said he logged off and because his microphone happens to not work from time to time...I then started playing the game by myself with bots without knowing. I got through maybe 2-3 chapters before I actually phoned him up to tell him I was going to log off myself.

Will we both still be able to get the achievement or do we have to start again? Happened at chapter 4. :/

PhatSaqs

Banned
Just finished the SP and all I have to say to Epic is...how the HELL are you gonna top this?
What a ride. Absolutely loved the variety in the gameplay. Eye candy galore. Very very satisfying experience. Pretty easily GOTY for me.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Aladuf said:
He's ranked 179th, not 719. I think you got those numbers mixed up but I definitely remember seeing it in the 100's when me and you were checking everybody's scores last night.

Damn, I didn't believe you when told me during the match we played just recently (I thought you were joking), but the leaderboards said otherwise. I can't get enough of it, more Horde!!!

The Flashback maps have been popping up in normal Player's Choice for me once in a while. Usually kicks a few people out because they haven't downloaded the maps yet like idiots.

Played some Wingman tonight with my roommate. Didn't love it overall, but the final game we played on Day One (Which seems to be the favorite new Gears 2 map in general) we had 9 kills going into the last round, in last place. We killed 7 players that round and won with 16 kills over a team with 15. Was a great comeback.

bill0527

Even though I beat this game 2 days ago, I just want to say again how awesome of an experience it was. I really can't stop thinking about this game. Its like going on an awesome first date and you can't wait to hear from her again.

I was thinking a lot about this game and how its the middle act of a trilogy compared to Halo 2. I don't want to turn this into a GoW vs. Halo thread, but jeez, GoW 2 felt so much more satisfying than Halo 2. I remember how fucking pissed everyone was (including me) at the end of Halo 2. How it left you with this cold, dead, hollow feeling inside where you're like - "man that' can't be it? was that really it? what the hell just happend the last 5 minutes of this game?"

GoW 2 left me with the exact opposite feeling. I felt like I had completed a journey and felt satisfied, but was also left with enough to know that more is coming. Also, Marcus Fenix is one of the greatest video game characters of all time. He's such an anti-hero, but shows great depth in that he loves his fellow CoGs. He has empathy for them. The scene with
Dom when he finds Maria
took his depth to a whole other level. Before they got to that point
when Marcus decided to say Fuck the mission, I'll help you find her Dom
was also a great scene that showed how much empathy he is capable of having. He's able to show compassion, love, empathy, and still stomp the heads off and chainsaw his enemies in half. He's just an amazing character and I for one cannot wait to see where this goes next.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

My 2 year old 360 has just red ringed. I have joined the fraternity. Gears was locking up, and sometimes the screen was cutting to black, and just now it gave me the warning.

At least it let me finish the campaign first.

I just finished the game. All I'm going to say is that Epic NEEDS to make a
Panzer Dragoon
game.

I know this may be blasphemous, but I believe that they could possibly do it better than Sega could. Just a little more range of movement and it would have been perfect.

Just beat the game on Hardcore tonight, was the best non-mp experience I've had with my 360 hands down.

Anyone else finding themselves in parties online where all your team mates do is complain about the game? I came close to telling alot of online friends to just fuck off tonight. All they wanna do is cry about the chainsaw and how "he shoulda been down, he shoulda been dead, shoulda, shoulda, shoulda"...It's getting REALLY fucking old. It seems ALOT of people would rather just complain about the game rather than learn how to play it effectively.

Baker

Banned
Question:

If four of the five teams in Wingman are in the US, why does Gears choose the team in fucking Australia to host the match?

Just beat the game even though I had it since launch. Story was about 100x better than the first.

Lol I still can't believe he shot Maria in the face!
:lol

ch0mp

Baker said:
Question:

If four of the five teams in Wingman are in the US, why does Gears choose the team in fucking Australia to host the match?

So we don't have to play with 500 fucking ping ALL THE TIME.

cresto

Baker said:
Question:

Best connection? Place doesnt matter?

How do you know who the host is?

Can someone please tell me how the RANKING works??

I've noticed playing with friends makes matchmaking extremely quick and painless. Add me if you need friends to play gears with: GT - FREIGHT TRAIN68

Big-E

Damn, ran into an achievement glitch. Played through all of Insane with a buddy of mine and we both got the Insane Achievement but only he got the coop achievement. It still says i am missing one thing even though we have done equal the amount of coop.

WARNING

Banned
though some of the single player levels look amazing, overall, this game took a serious hit aesthetically. especially in multiplayer. still really fun to play. i mean, man i was playing horde for 4 days straight---but when i popped back in gears 1, the graphics [once again] blew, me, away.

(kind of irks me that no other review has hit on the aesthetic-hit...not even one up. too busy being ultra-geeked about the game)

smik

TheDiabolical said:
the slowness of the matchmaking system is just killing online playing for me. anyone else?

yes in all honesty 50% off my friends list have traded this back in all ready because of the very poor matchmaking, its a shame though they loved the original but now they are getting cod5

cresto

smik said:
yes in all honesty 50% off my friends list have traded this back in all ready because of the very poor matchmaking, its a shame though they loved the original but now they are getting cod5
What a bunch of pathetic idiots. The game hasn't even been out a week and they are that fucking impatient? WOW

What the fuck is with all this instant gratification that seems to be the fucking norm now? Jesus fucking Christ

Brakara

Smidget said:
Stupid question: Do the Flashback maps ONLY come up in the Flashback map playlist?

I had one public match on Canals the other day, even though it was the normal playlist. I guess if everybody have the flashback maps, then one of them may be chosen.

Baker said:
Question:

How can can you see who the host is in public matches?

Darkman M

Yes, the matchmaking here is a serious problem i can't get a match at all, never had in problems in Halo2/3 matchmaking.

Needs a patch asap.

smik

ergo said:
What a bunch of pathetic idiots. The game hasn't even been out a week and they are that fucking impatient? WOW

What the fuck is with all this instant gratification that seems to be the fucking norm now? Jesus fucking Christ

why

people are hard done by the fact that the matchmaking is becoming so bad that the game is not playable in its current state waiting 15 minutes is bad enough but waiting 15 minutes only to play in another bad connections defeats the whole purpose of having fun online.

a simple region filter will suffice but its unlikely and people have a right to trade it back in instead of waiting for a patch they may never come out.

i think your pathetic assuming people like playing in bad connections 90% of the time. yes 90%

Shoogoo

smik said:

Your friends are douchebags, why in the hell wouldn't they wait for a goddamn patch?

"OMG DOESNT WURK LOLOL I NEED IT QUIK LAWL CYA GOW!!!!!1!"

Woo-Fu

Banned
pro tip: If you don't get a match in less than 60 seconds start over.

It really is one of those things where it matches near instantly or almost never. I'm lucky enough to play with a group that almost always has 10 people willing to play online so we don't have to resort to public matches.

Woo-Fu said:
pro tip: If you don't get a match in less than 60 seconds start over.

It really is one of those things where it matches near instantly or almost never. I'm lucky enough to play with a group that almost always has 10 people willing to play online so we don't have to resort to public matches.
Me too. But we also find public matches real quick when we have e 5-people group. Doesn't take longer than 20 seconds then.

smik

Shoogoo said:
Your friends are douchebags, why in the hell wouldn't they wait for a goddamn patch?

"OMG DOESNT WURK LOLOL I NEED IT QUIK LAWL CYA GOW!!!!!1!"

OMG Gaf's bottom feeders. mabey because they have the right to.

just a simple question when you played the original did you search & enter the ones with red pings?

why do they have to wait for a patch to enjoy the whole experience when it should become standard in every online game to play in fair connections, atleast the original had simple lobby system where playlists were split up between modes and all with status ping indicators.

Gears 2 Multiplayer has been an EPIC failure except for Horde and co-op

Brakara

smik said:
i think your pathetic assuming people like playing in bad connections 90% of the time. yes 90%

Why don't you get together and play private matches? Hell, even if you're less than 10, just put in some bots on Insane to fill up the extra slots. That should keep you going until Epic has fixed public matches.

smik said:

And except for local and private matches.

Woot! 6 hours later on hardcore... my buddies and I finally beat Wave 50 on Horde mode in that level with the security lasers. Fuck that was intense. I gotta say though, I am money with the mortar. Glad we did it with a system link at my house too. Damn place sounded like a war zone. :lol

dk_

Matchmaking is an utter joke. I'm sitting here for half an hour trying to join an elimination match and everytime the matchmaking system fails to search an opposing team.

COME ON EPIC! You screwed this up big time.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
as we're on the subject of possible improvements for gears 3:

Just on Act 4 in the story mode, probably about halfway through it or so.

One thing that I can't figure out if its a good or bad thing in Gears games - the bits where you die all the fucking time!!

I was hosting co-op campaign and about 4 people jumped in for 2 minutes on the tank ascending the mountain section and left again cos we kept dying every 30 seconds or so. Admittedly they sucked at shooting and I'm not that hot at driving, (I made much more progress without them) but it was still one of those irritating try and try again sections. I bet most of you had similar experiences.

some might say those sections are challenging, and well suited to a tough co-op experience, but I bet everyone would choose those sections as the bits they dont want to play again on repeat playthroughs, especially on insane, they're a chore.

for gears 3 they need to make those sections go from difficult and frustrating to pure cinema action. Make it so that its actually pretty hard for you to die, they're meant to be a break from the usual stop and pop, well make it a fun break! The driving section in gears 1 was also a pain in the ass so I'm wondering if its a deliberate design decision to throw in the obligatory "fuck I hate this bit" section or they just can't make it work properly.

F#A#Oo

Banned
kaizoku said:
I was hosting co-op campaign and about 4 people jumped in for 2 minutes on the tank ascending the mountain section and left again cos we kept dying every 30 seconds or so. Admittedly they sucked at shooting and I'm not that hot at driving, (I made much more progress without them) but it was still one of those irritating try and try again sections. I bet most of you had similar experiences.

I actually did that section in co-op lastnight and the only section we died at was when the power/lights cut out....but that was definately a WTF moment as we had no idea that we were back in-game.

I do agree though that these section are pretty bad parts for the game. I mean I didn't mind the derricks section in Act 1...as it had alot more purpose about it I think.

Walshey

ok this match making is nutz!

Any Australian gaffers (others are welcome but Im trying to cut down on the lag) add me "Walshey90210"
i was just waiting 15 minutes to find a game and when i did it was a complete joke.

yeh as far as the shotguns being nerfed I think its just fine the problem is in respect to lag, a direct shot on your screen will be a complete miss in reality resulting in you thinking you have just shot air.

overall the single player campaign was a huge improvement over the first yet by no means is it a master piece. If a fun cheezy action movie brought to life was what they were after then good work. But anyone hailing the whole Dom Maria story as a emotional experience to aspire to really needs to set their sights higher, games can still do alot better.

Shoogoo

smik said:
OMG Gaf's bottom feeders. mabey because they have the right to.

just a simple question when you played the original did you search & enter the ones with red pings?

why do they have to wait for a patch to enjoy the whole experience when it should become standard in every online game to play in fair connections, atleast the original had simple lobby system where playlists were split up between modes and all with status ping indicators.

I maintain, your friends are douchebags. I'm not saying that it's normal to have the MM broken and I'm not saying that I'm happy with it. But GODDAMN what does it takes you to just wait or play private matches, or play another game until they release a patch, rather than selling what's for me the GOTY?

I'm so happy my friends are not as shitty as yours, pfiew.

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
ergo said:

well, with all the titles coming out who wants to wait for a patch?

i still want Left 4 Dead and World at War and if Epics waiting till next year to fix Gears 2. its time to move on.

i've been playing COD4 for the past who know how many months and coming from that matchmaking system to Gears 2 is like stepping backwards a couple of years

nothings more annoying than playing a great match, then when its over you have to sit and wait for 2-5 minutes trying to get another match going.

lol, that slow ass matchmaking is just eating into my online gaming time

F#A#Oo

Banned
It's all about Horde, Co-op and if you can get 5 people together then MP is excellent. But playing MP by yourself atm is not really all that nice especially if your limited on time.

Rekwest

I just beat the game GOTY.

gearsmania2mega2.jpg

gearsmania2mega.jpg

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
F#A#Oo said:
I actually did that section in co-op lastnight and the only section we died at was when the power/lights cut out....but that was definately a WTF moment as we had no idea that we were back in-game.

I do agree though that these section are pretty bad parts for the game. I mean I didn't mind the derricks section in Act 1...as it had alot more purpose about it I think.

what difficulty did you do it on? it depends what difficulty your partner set it on as well, when I play hardcore and my guest plays casual the game gets toned down a fair bit to accomodate both of us.

I'm glad they had lots of checkpoints compared to the section in gears 1 where each replay felt like hell after awhile. I just think its a missed opportunity and those bits kind of put me off doing a run through on insane.

My main problem with gears MP is lack of people who play at the same time as I play! I pretty much play with friends exclusively or friends of friends so the slow matchmaking is just an extension of not having enough friends on playing. When a small group of us does try matchmaking, it tends to be pretty painless. Depends what you're matching I suppose.

Damn.

I want to play this game, but... Do I need to have beaten the original? I've got it, but like... I'm on the 2nd level and not really enjoying it.

What do I do? :(

Top Bottom