• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

skyfinch

JB1981 said:
Jesus christ this game is bleak.

I was actually kind of moved by
Maria's death
. Believe in Cliffy B. Man knows how to make things work.

So was I, but then she got all krinkly and I was all, "KILL THE BITCH!"

Shins

Banned
Recoil said:
The best quote was Baird, after Cole's speech:

*rips out cables*

"There we go! One muzzled queen... Not you, her. You were great. I loved your stuff in the speech there, especially with the bitch-ass stuff. Very good, very enlightening."
My favorite by far.

Darvan

I'm up for any type of games also GT:Darvan I still can't understand why am doing so bad in multiplayer I swear it seems like am not hitting them or they are moving faster to me or something. I guess i just have to get use to the gameplay.

Anyone hate those maps where there is only one way into a room? Had one team that decided that sitting in the grenade room of Jacinto the entire game was a brilliant strategy. There was no way to flank but we still won :lol

Snowden

Banned
spermatic cord said:
Had one team that decided that sitting in the grenade room of Jacinto the entire game was a brilliant strategy.
Not too brilliant when you have your team hurl smoke/poison grenades up there to flush them out, lol.

Momar

aka Ryder
Anyone down for a few games of Wingman? Or maybe something else if we can get a team of 5? Matchmaking taking forever :-(

edit: gamertag is momar2099

TDG

Banned
My favorite lines were the "all that juice" references by Cole and Baird.
spermatic cord said:
Anyone hate those maps where there is only one way into a room? Had one team that decided that sitting in the grenade room of Jacinto the entire game was a brilliant strategy. There was no way to flank but we still won :lol
I think overall the maps in Gears 2 are a step down from the ones in Gears. Much more poorly balanced, less straightforward... they're just too gimicky and overly-complex.

Hootie

Anyone know any spots on any maps to make a stand in Horde mode on Insane? Like a spot where you can hide and the Locust can't flank/get in? There's a semi-decent spot in "Day One" but on Insane the boomers can smash me quickly.

PhatSaqs said:
Nothing beats Cole grabbin the mic. That shit was epic.
Recoil said:

*rips out cables*

"There we go! One muzzled queen... Not you, her. You were great. I loved your stuff in the speech there, especially with the bitch-ass stuff. Very good, very enlightening."

My 2 favorite quotes in the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hootie said:
Anyone know any spots on any maps to make a stand in Horde mode on Insane? Like a spot where you can hide and the Locust can't flank/get in? There's a semi-decent spot in "Day One" but on Insane the boomers can smash me quickly.

You can disable the center area in Security and get everyone in there before the lasers come back up, on one round a mortar spawns, and on the other the mulcher spawns.

There are some Locust types that can disable the fence and try to get in, but all the boomer variations and bloodmounts can't do anything to you(unless the security is disabled and they rush in obviously), it also seems like no enemies try to enter in the middle opening when the lasers are down, so the left and right sides just need to be covered until you're safe again.

Yeah so far Security seems to be the best stage for Horde. Heres a little "pro" tip.

If you don't feel like having someone go unlock the area for you the hard way heres an easier way.

You can smoke blast yourself past the lasers and unlock it from inside.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So when is matchmaking speed going to be fixed for "Gears of Wait 2"

Shit is horrible! Love this game when im actually able to play though.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Hootie said:

on avalanche if you manage to get a hold of two shields, you can render the roof top essentially impenetrable!

only problem is running out of ammo - and it definitely requires team work to keep the strategy up, grabbing the shields between waves so they dont disappear etc.

Z_Y

So pissed off right now. I've been trying to find a CE since launch. They have been harder to find than I anticipated. Tonight I walk into my Gamestop and they have one....of course it is a gutted copy...but I don't care at this point. Just went to pop it in and it is Gears 1 (even the bonus disc). Fuck you Gamestop! They better not give me any shit tomorrow when I take it back.

Another question...the code for the Flashback DLC maps...where is it? My gutted copy had no cards or anything that even mention it. One more quickie, on the back of the CE it says that it includes the gold lancer. Again, was this a code that I did not receive in my gutted copy?

Thank you...I'll hang up now and listen for your responses.

Z_Y said:
So pissed off right now. I've been trying to find a CE since launch. They have been harder to find than I anticipated. Tonight I walk into my Gamestop and they have one....of course it is a gutted copy...but I don't care at this point. Just went to pop it in and it is Gears 1 (even the bonus disc). Fuck you Gamestop! They better not give me any shit tomorrow when I take it back.

Another question...the code for the Flashback DLC maps...where is it? My gutted copy had no cards or anything that even mention it. One more quickie, on the back of the CE it says that it includes the gold lancer. Again, was this a code that I did not receive in my gutted copy?

Yes its a code. Its all a code. Everything.

chimster

Z_Y said:

the code for the lancer, and map packs are on the same card. Make sure you get the artbook too.

Just finished the campaign last night. Loved every minute of it, except for the last boss and ending cinema, both of which left me dissatisfied with the game's end. But I'm not going to let 15 seconds of gameplay and a cutscene ruin the previous 11 hours of amazing gameplay and memorable scenes. The game was better than I expected.

*marks November 10, 2010 in his calander*

That's my guess for when Gears 3 will hit.

Sailor

Just wondering, but does anyone have a spare Lancer code at all? I do have $7 on paypal that I'd trade for...or a month of Live?

Dartastic said:
Hell YES. Also, I still... haven't played Horde, but I'd like to play with some of you guys later. My GT is Dartastic. Send me an invite and we'll play some. :D

I need to get my Horde on, too. I'll send an invite . . .

Aladuf

Banned
Recoil said:

*rips out cables*

I totally agree, Baird once again steals the show with his lines. I can't get enough of him in this game.

Papercuts

Aladuf said:
I totally agree, Baird once again steals the show with his lines. I can't get enough of him in this game.

He isn't in it enough, though. =(

Personally I wish it was Marcus and Baird for most of the game instead of Dom.

Aladuf

Banned
Papercuts said:
He isn't in it enough, though. =(

Personally I wish it was Marcus and Baird for most of the game instead of Dom.
He's not, you're right.. if it was mostly Marcus and Baird then that would be so awesome.

But what about a Baird and Cole spinoff game?! *scratches chin*

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
quick question....can you play 1-on-1 multiplayer, where just you and a friend can hunt each other down trying to slay one another?

Dosia

I think I am going to have to take a two week break from this game. Hopefully when I play it in 2 weeks the multi player will run smoother. I attempted to play for 4 hours tonight, but at least 2 hours was waiting to get into games... When I do get into games I would say a player quits on my team 20% of the time.

On a positive note. I did get to play Guardian for the first time tonight and that was pretty fun.

Just finished the campain, fucking amazing game, every single minute of it, I didn't like the ending though.

Started horde with 3 other people. jesus shooter of the year no contest.

Then this is where everything started go bad for me. I tried to play online.

First game, Elimination, had a good team, cool game type and a lot of fun, got 4 kills and 3 deaths. I was happy with that.

Second game, it was called excution or something, holy shit I don't understand this game at all in MP, I shot a guy with a shotgun more than 4 times up close, barely did anything, he just comes up and pops one right in me, I implode. WTF.

I am the last guy alive, I start shooting this guy with the chainsaw gun, and then after some damage he took cover and started to shoot back, I was shooting nearly 90% of time at his head, he kills me somehow.

Am I doing something wrong GAF, how do I play this game online, I really really want to like it, but I am missing something aren't I?

I am farely above average player when it comes to shooters, my COD4 kd/r was 1.88, I was around at lvl 40 when I stopped playing Halo 3, I am always at the top of list in TF2, but this game I just suck ass at it. how do I get better?

And wtf at the connections in here, the third game was lag fest and I couldn't even do a 4th match because it couldn't find anybody.

Aladuf

Banned
Dosia said:
I think I am going to have to take a two week break from this game. Hopefully when I play it in 2 weeks the multi player will run smoother. I attempted to play for 4 hours tonight, but at least 2 hours was waiting to get into games... When I do get into games I would say a player quits on my team 20% of the time.

On a positive note. I did get to play Guardian for the first time tonight and that was pretty fun.
Play with GAFers. Whenever there is a full 5 person party matchmaking takes about 20 seconds tops. There is always quite a few of us playing each night so you wouldn't have to ever worry.

mYm|17|

played with some GAFers tonight. We started out with Horde and OMG did that take forever but we beat wave 50. Then we got a 5v5 going on different matches and it was super fun.

definitely was fun playing with people from GAF

EazyB

Banned
Aladuf said:
Play with GAFers. Whenever there is a full 5 person party matchmaking takes about 20 seconds tops. There is always quite a few of us playing each night so you wouldn't have to ever worry.
Eh, I've only been playing with full parties and yet it still takes ridiculously long even though it probably helps. Hope they get that shit figured out.

Papercuts

I dug into the standard MP a lot tonight, and I really like it. Hopefully they patch up the MM but I was by myself and had a few near instant connections to games, with no lag at all. I didn't get into the first Gears MP, mainly because I didn't play it until earlier this year and it was nearly impossible to actually learn with mostly hardcore players everywhere, which means I basically don't know the old maps, especially like everyone else. I saw them a few times in the voting even though I wasn't in Flashback, and they got the majority of votes INSTANTLY, so I played KotH and Submission on Gridlock and Mansion, and had to basically learn the maps as I played.

I usually hate objectives, but I've been in the Territories playlist pretty much the whole time. I just got the last capture on Submission the first time I played which just feels great, and a bunch of memorable stuff can happen in the other modes, mainly when the noise that a team is about to win happens. The team I was on nearly lost KotH until I rushed in to break the point(with a frag in hand), got downed, then blew myself up and took out the entire team, leading to a win by 4 points. :lol

I'm definitely a lot more hopeful in it now, I'm really excited for the Matchmaking to be fixed because when it works, it's extremely quick + matches take awhile. I guess I should work on some bot matches on the flashback maps in the mean time.

bimet

Horde on insane = :lol
No matter how many times I try or how many different strategies I put to test, I can't for the love of everything that's good get past wave 20. Am I not good enough? Lack of teamwork? Not possible?
So far this spot has worked best until...the screaming asshole decides to throw an ink, or wost yet, a grenade in our little safespot. We plant a boomshield at the entrance to keep the bloodmounts out which works great. The ammo box right outside is also a big plus. But again, the ink and grenades...fuck :(

Just like some of you mentioned above, security also seems to work well. On insane however, if the lasers are shut off and a group of bloodmounts rushes in, you will be fucked sideways at full force. No cool toy will save you there.

Has anyone here gotten past it? Help...?

Edit:
Rapping Granny said:
Second game, it was called excution or something, holy shit I don't understand this game at all in MP, I shot a guy with a shotgun more than 4 times up close, barely did anything, he just comes up and pops one right in me, I implode. WTF.

I am the last guy alive, I start shooting this guy with the chainsaw gun, and then after some damage he took cover and started to shoot back, I was shooting nearly 90% of time at his head, he kills me somehow.

Am I doing something wrong GAF, how do I play this game online, I really really want to like it, but I am missing something aren't I?

A lot of the issues found in multiplayer are related to lag. Very weird stuff will happen if the connection quality in the room is shit.

When you shot the guy with the shotgun, did you aim? Blindfire is not as effective with the shotgun as it used to be on the first game. Try to also aim for the lower body. The more rounds land on the target, the better. I don't know how closed you were to the other guy, but sometimes you gotta virtually kiss players to blast them with one shot. It also helps if you do something they called "two-piecing" if you feel your shots are not doing anything (Melee whenever they're in range, then shoot right after but make sure you're not directly in front of the guy's shotgun).

Aiming the lancer at somebody's head does not mean you'll do more damage (don't know if they changed that though...) so its best in this case to aim at the dude's belly where you know more of your ammo will hit. In the time the other player took cover also, he must've recovered a bit. And if you had any lag, that didn't helped your case.

Had a 8hr Gears Day resulting in completion.

What an amazing ride. Gears one didnt knock my socks off but this baby surpassed it in every respect.

Bring on Gears 3. (Next Xbox?)

Chinner

Banned
They should make it so that weapons and grenades do not respawn in matchmaking or at least make it so they respawn like every 3 or 4 minutes. At the moment grenades pratically respawn straight away and its open to abuse and promotes camping.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Rapping Granny said:
Just finished the campain, fucking amazing game, every single minute of it, I didn't like the ending though.

Yeah I'm almost there and its amazing. There are a couple of really tough parts though.

By the way, can anyone tell me if it's possible to play 1-on-1 multiplayer, where it's just you and a friend hunting each other down trying to slay one another?

isamu said:
Yeah I'm almost there and its amazing. There are a couple of really tough parts though.

By the way, can anyone tell me if it's possible to play 1-on-1 multiplayer, where it's just you and a friend hunting each other down trying to slay one another?
Sure, you just need to create a private, invite only, match.

Haunted

Played through the game with a friend in co-op in one sitting yesterday. Hardcore difficulty, not too tough.

Shit.
Because I need to revise my Top 10 GOTY list.

Chinner said:
They should make it so that weapons and grenades do not respawn in matchmaking or at least make it so they respawn like every 3 or 4 minutes. At the moment grenades pratically respawn straight away and its open to abuse and promotes camping.

I think weapon pick-ups are out of date to begin with. I really don't like that aspect of the game.

Brakara

Chinner said:

Wouldn't an ink grenade take care of a camper?

Chinner

Banned
smik said:
This has been 'true' for a few days now.
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=633678
Thats where xboxic got there quote from ^^
Q: Slow Matchmaking – Why does it take so long for matchmaking to find me a game?
A: This is an issue that’s affecting some folks, and Epic and Microsoft are both looking into it. I'll let you know more details as I have them. In the mean time, try to go back to the dashboard and use it to test the network connection. Re-sign in to see if you have better results. This has worked for some people for the time being.

Tieno

The issue with matchmaking sounds like that thing Halo 2 or 3 had (or was it the beta?) where there's a bottleneck on the server side cause it just gets flooded with requests and starts to choke.

All my brothers progress just vanished. (He might've posted in here already) Everything. He had about 600+ gamerscore. We beat it on hardcore, beat horde etc. Its all gone.

Is there a way to get it back?

edit: checked the official issues thread. Man it doesn't look good.

Top Bottom