• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
mxz said:
Q: There are multiple unique finishing kill moves? How come every time I press Y near a downed grub, I always get the same punch-punch-punch move? What am I doing wrong?

there are only a few weapons that have an unique execution: boltok pistol, torque bow, longshot and the boomshield. All the other weapons have a quick B execution

raYne

mxz said:
Q: There are multiple unique finishing kill moves? How come every time I press Y near a downed grub, I always get the same punch-punch-punch move? What am I doing wrong?
There's probably a list somewhere, but the kill animations basically all depends on the weapon you have equipped, which of the three finisher buttons (X, Y, B) you press and if you're standing or moving at the time.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Wow, matchmaking is A LOT better today. I'm not sure if it's just me... but I'm finding games much quicker.

Chinner

Banned
Weird. I had the lowest rank (one stripe or whatever). Just played a private match and won and I've got the two stripes noaw.

bimet

Did you finished a match while you had one stripe then went for some private? It happened to me also after I completely a wave on horde. It's possible you were ready to rank up after the public match you played was over.

Hootie

Alright, how the FUCK do you beat the "Destroy the Locust Outpost" during the
Centaur tank part on Insane? I'm doing a coop insane playthrough and I'm the driver. As SOON as Marcus says "Dom, take out that tower", I get fucked up by what seems like 200000 troikas. Anyone have a clue on what I should do?

Chinner

Banned
Hootie said:
Centaur tank part on Insane? I'm doing a coop insane playthrough and I'm the driver. As SOON as Marcus says "Dom, take out that tower", I get fucked up by what seems like 200000 troikas. Anyone have a clue on what I should do?
This cause my friend and I alot of trouble. What we ended up doing was me reversing down and as soon as Marcus shouts "shoot the tower" he would shoot as many shots as possible and I'd drive around the corner for saftey. This worked on our first attempt.

raYne

Hootie said:
You can't actually damage it until they tell you so. If you want to do it the cheap/easy way, kill all the groud troops and reavers from the top first. Then reverse down and when they tell you to target it, immediately hit the gas forward and boost back up to the top. From there you can target at your leisure.

This is pretty much the way you have to do it on Insane.

Hootie

Chinner said:
This cause my friend and I alot of trouble. What we ended up doing was me reversing down and as soon as Marcus shouts "shoot the tower" he would shoot as many shots as possible and I'd drive around the corner for saftey. This worked on our first attempt.

Hmm, that sounds like a decent idea. I'll go down and then boost back up at the right time.

Thanks!

RSTEIN said:
Highlights:
- Me killing Third Engine with a 50 yard mortar shot as he was rushing me at Jacinto.
For a couple rounds there it felt like you knew exactly where I was when you shot that fucker. :lol

Big-E

Hootie said:

What you need to do is this.
As you go around the turn, you got to stop and start shooting the guys on the ground. Make sure they are all dead. The reavers will not be enough to kill you but if you are on fire just go back up the bend away from danger. There is one troika guy you can kill from this distance. He is on the base of the tower. With all guys dead, the only thing that should be hitting you are the constantly spawning reavers. Now this is the tricky part. As the driver, you must proceed slowly down the hill to trigger the troika's to shoot you. As soon as you hear marcus or dom speak, immediately reverse and attempt to get back to bend at the top of the hill. As you attempt to trigger the troika's, have your gunner focus on the two windows on the top floor of the building next to the tower. Hopefully he can get one of them and you can make it up the bend where the rest of the guys can be taken out from a distance.

Z_Y

Z_Y said:
So pissed off right now. I've been trying to find a CE since launch. They have been harder to find than I anticipated. Tonight I walk into my Gamestop and they have one....of course it is a gutted copy...but I don't care at this point. Just went to pop it in and it is Gears 1 (even the bonus disc). Fuck you Gamestop! They better not give me any shit tomorrow when I take it back.

Another question...the code for the Flashback DLC maps...where is it? My gutted copy had no cards or anything that even mention it. One more quickie, on the back of the CE it says that it includes the gold lancer. Again, was this a code that I did not receive in my gutted copy?

Thank you...I'll hang up now and listen for your responses.

I have to give Gamestop some credit here...they actually called me this morning and told me they gave me the wrong discs. I went out and exchanged them. Got the Flashback DLC card but it doesn't mention the gold lancer. Somebody said that both codes were on the same card. Is that the case? Didn't appear that way.

Looking forward to finally playing this tonight.

Prine

Banned
Tieno said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42777.html
The deaths in Gears of War 2 aka Why this game is so awesome.

One of my favorite campaign moments was the sniper sequence while in the caves. Marcus notices the locust far away and says "good sniper practice" or something, so I sniper some. I try to snipe as much locust as possible, pressure gets high and do some perfect active reloads and you feel Marcus get angrier with each kill.
"That's one", "That's two!!", "That's three!!!", "THAT'S FOUR!!", and with each kill I was curious what he'd say next and then the last locust is almost in the cave and I really wanted to snipe him and I just got him by an inch and he says "That's FIVE MOTHERFUCKERS!!". It was such an awesome moment and it felt very natural and in sync with my actions.

yeah, it little touches like that absorbes you into Gears world. They say what you think.

When you revive someone, when your gun jams, when you get a headshot. They just say stuff that you think but within the context of the character. One of the reasons i think this game is one of the best examples of a polished western game.

They think outside of the box at every level

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Z_Y said:
I have to give Gamestop some credit here...they actually called me this morning and told me they gave me the wrong discs. I went out and exchanged them. Got the Flashback DLC card but it doesn't mention the gold lancer. Somebody said that both codes were on the same card. Is that the case? Didn't appear that way.

Looking forward to finally playing this tonight.

Sounds like you got the code card from a regular GOW2. My CE had both the Flashback DLC + Golden Lancer on the same card.

pete914

Okay, I need help.
In the reaver escape scene, I cannot shoot the fucking rockets coming at me to save my life. The stupid reaver is moving all over the place and I can't hit those rockets. I know it's the "middle" rocket that I need to shoot, and I STILL can't hit it. I haven't had much trouble with the game so far, but this is driving me batshit insane. I've been stuck on this for two freaking hours (hardcore diff)
Any ideas, or do I just need to practice this for a fucking day to progress in the game?

pete914 said:
Okay, I need help.
In the reaver escape scene, I cannot shoot the fucking rockets coming at me to save my life. The stupid reaver is moving all over the place and I can't hit those rockets. I know it's the "middle" rocket that I need to shoot, and I STILL can't hit it. I haven't had much trouble with the game so far, but this is driving me batshit insane. I've been stuck on this for two freaking hours (hardcore diff)
Any ideas, or do I just need to practice this for a fucking day to progress in the game?
Had the same problem yesterday, turns out you can move out of the way with the left stick.

Amir0x

Banned
pete914 said:
Okay, I need help.

no, wrong.

press the left stick to
move the reaver and dodge the missiles
. So many people make this mistake

bimet

pete914 said:
Okay, I need help.
Are you making sure to use both analogue sticks? I didn't bother shooting at them... I just avoided them.
Edit: Darn!

pete914

Jesus fucking Christ, so simple. Thank you all, I was on the brink of suicide here. I figured there had to be an easier way, shooting those things is damn near impossible. Thanks again.

Z_Y

DKo5 said:
Sounds like you got the code card from a regular GOW2. My CE had both the Flashback DLC + Golden Lancer on the same card.

Boooo! Oh well. Mainly wanted the maps.

bumpkin

So my buddy and I finally finished the game on coop last night -- "Friends with Benefits" achievement FTW -- and I have to say that I enjoyed Gears 2 quite a bit. Moreso than the original if only for the fact that it was white knuckle action at nearly every turn; it *felt* like you were in the middle of a desperate war. In the first game it just felt like you were leisurely going from place to place and dispatching the locusts that had invaded.

Still, there's some bits of the game that, I dunno, didn't sit quite right.
First and foremost, Skorge died like a bitch. There was no epic battle to the death where Marcus tore him a new asshole with his bare hands (or his Lancer). It was a fiery crash and being skewered on top of his downed Reaver. I mean seriously, the "big bad" went out like that? Come on!

I also thought that the stuff involving Dom and Maria was fine. Not as cheesy or out of place as I had kind of feared they'd be. Though I still don't get why Maria looked fine when the tube first opened and didn't appear all tortured and wasted away until after Dom caught her. Was it basically playing out what Dom had hoped he'd see fading away into reality? Still, when Marcus was like, "if you want to go in guns blazing, I don't blame you," the characters felt human for once.

And last but certainly not least... Why was the locust queen very humanoid? What the FUCK were the Sires? And why was Adam Fenix's voice in the locust computers, and moreover, what did he mean in his comments after the credits? Hmm... I smell Gears 3 and it hopefully will be every bit as awesome.

I know this exposes me as a fanboy, but I'd give this game a 10/10, A+, 5/5, 100%. Whatever the scale dictates as the best of the best. GOTY by far.

RSTEIN

It is SO important to know the location of the grenades on every single map! This is the biggest change over Gears 1, IMO. If you have grenades you can turn the entire war to your favour. I just got out of Execution on Hail with some randoms. My team isn't very good and they get picked off right away. It's me vs 3 of the remaining dudes on their team. I run up to the catwalk that joins the two indoor structures. I pick up the frags and plant them on either side of the catwalk. I bait all two of them to chase me to the catwalk, each one going down every time they pass the grenades. Then the last one is chasing me with a torque, I run up, get a new supply of frags, and let him chase me. I plant one and the rest is history.

One thing I'm confused about: when an enemy goes down after being hit by a smoke grenade, can he take damage on the ground? I've blasted a stunned guy with my shotty and it doesn't really seem to have any impact.

Sandman42

RSTEIN said:
One thing I'm confused about: when an enemy goes down after being hit by a smoke grenade, can he take damage on the ground? I've blasted a stunned guy with my shotty and it doesn't really seem to have any impact.

Yes you can kill them on the ground.

/beaten

Gowans

I love the game but certain parts kill me.

I hate this end of act 4 boss, GARRR!!!!!
(gona have to get a mate in co-op to help)

Amir0x said:
I'd game again if you're up.

Awesome game we just had...

big ups to monkey for the 8 person in one shot kill, and also the fuck awesome glitch where the guy was about to get smashed in the house on River, but the smash glitch knocked him out the window to fight another day :lol

:D

Was a good run we had on Security, nice to get wave 50 done.

See you guys on later tonight..

Brakara

RSTEIN said:
So... nobody is finding matchmaking better? Just me?

I only played public Horde today, but it was pretty fast. And a huge improvement over Friday and Saturday. But there were several people in the lobbies who complained about how slow the matchmaking were.

Facism

RSTEIN said:
So... nobody is finding matchmaking better? Just me?

It's actually worse for me. Only managed to play 2 whole rounds today, both had 1/3rd of the players leave during. I like it when i have time for gaming, but hate it when that time is swallowed up by SEARCHING FOR PLAYERS > RESTART BY REMOTE > SEARCHING FOR PLAYERS for 25 minutes.

The real bad news is that a couple of my friends are trading it in already, citing piss-poor matchmaking (truth) and lack of Guest/Unranked playlists for our LANs. Although the former is easily remedied with 5 people's worth of friendslists. Lazy fooks just want to party up, look for a game and join in.

Klocker

Brakara said:
I only played public Horde today, but it was pretty fast. And a huge improvement over Friday and Saturday. But there were several people in the lobbies who complained about how slow the matchmaking were.

agreed much less hassle getitng into public horde matches this weekend but straight up MP is still a PITA

Ecto311

I just beat it and it was fuckin awesome.

I played it through with my wife and she had her settings to casual and mine were on hardcore. I guess I was stupid and assumed she would just be set to hardcore when I hosted (and I did every game) but when we beat it she didn't get the hardcore achievement. Did the game handicap her settings to make her weapons better or something along those lines?

We are going to be starting it again on insane later tonight together.

Feindflug

So today I played some Horde for the first time with a friend via system link and we reached wave 28 on River (Normal)...things are getting challenging and really intense after the 24th wave, I guess to beat Horde on higher difficulties 5 players are required as we have found several waves maybe too much for only 2 players...anyway Horde is a freakin' amazing mode IMO, really fun and really addicting...more Horde tomorrow! :D

@ RSTEIN matchmaking is still the same crap for me. :(

RSTEIN

Damn guys... sorry to hear. I was optimistic that some solution had been found. I don't know what's going on today with my matches. I start the process and my team is found within a minute or two. Then another minute or two the opposing team is found. This is a HUGE improvement for me. I've never had so many matches!

Lol, at the guitar playing. Yeah, I had the newspaper beside me this weekend while looking for matches :) My average time to find a match was 10 minutes or so before today.

Brakara

Klocker said:
agreed much less hassle getitng into public horde matches this weekend but straight up MP is still a PITA

Ouch. Yeah, I've pretty much given up on public versus matches. Slow matchmaking, uneven teams (who at Epic thought it would be a good idea to team up "lone wolfs" against a party?), and almost always some dropouts. Doesn't help that I mainly want to play Guardian and Submission either.

Edit: Horde is pure sex though.

I'm officially pissed at the matchmaking. Co-op campaign was fun, horde was great, but now that my friends aren't online, I have nothing to do because I can't get into a single game. It's a disgrace. They basically shipped the game with only 70% of the content playable.

Top Bottom