• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

OMG this game is soo awesome!!!

been playing it all day, super sweet, a friend who reviews games that let me try it out.

Holy crap at the worm episode!!!!! :lol :lol :lol its genius

thanks epic it made my fucking day, was laughing like a mad man

Got I hate this. Some people in my list are already playing it, dl'ed it, sons of bitches. May God prevent them from ever going anywhere else than straight to hell.

cresto

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Dirtbag said:
It was a design choice by Epic to build some more variety into the multi. The locations don't change, just the weapons in place.

Thanks for the info, its not a bad thing. Just something new to me. :D

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Dirtbag said:
It was a design choice by Epic to build some more variety into the multi. The locations don't change, just the weapons in place.

I think it was a very good design choice by Epic. Now no more just rushing the sniper. I want to know if the weapoons that spawn each round are random or is it a set track. If random your strategy changes everytime. Thats awesome.

cresto

Not a Jellyfish said:
I think it was a very good design choice by Epic. Now no more just rushing the sniper. I want to know if the weapoons that spawn each round are random or is it a set track. If random your strategy changes everytime. Thats awesome.
Yeah I agree, everytime I play gridlock the host just rushes the sniper and you can't do anything.

Should be interesting to see how varied it is, otherwise people will just learn the sequence and it would defeat the purpose.

Kibbles

Some people already got Seriously 2.0

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=6798

However, despite 'Seriously 2.0' now needing 100,000 kills, because kills from every game mode counts, it's much easier to unlock. Friend of OXM, Stefan Hobman, has already unlocked the achievement and provided us with picture proof.

After unlocking the achievement, he tells us that:
# There is NO gamerpic for getting Seriously 2.0, unlike the original Seriously achievement.
# It's possible to get 100 kills a minute.
# The achievement can be unlocked in under 24 hours actual gameplay time.
# The easiest way to get the achievement is by repeatedly playing the last level of Gears of War 2's Campaign mode.

It's a shame that there's no gamerpic and that the achievement is much easier to unlock, as it means there's unlikely to be a 'badge of honour' achievement in the same way the original Seriously achievement was.

Seriously, I can't believe
Epic showed us the 2nd to last level in Campaign :\ I hear the Brumak riding is the last mission...

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
ergo said:
Yeah I agree, everytime I play gridlock the host just rushes the sniper and you can't do anything.

Should be interesting to see how varied it is, otherwise people will just learn the sequence and it would defeat the purpose.

Yeah I am pretty sure it will be random. Doesn't take a genious to know that people will exploit anything they can online. I am just excited I have no next Friday. anybody wanna play GT is Meani Pants.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
One thing that still worries me about multiplayer is "custom games" (private matches). Is it going to be like Gears 1 where whoever started the private match room is going to be hosting? Or will it be like Halo in which even in customs, it chooses the best host
:p

Dirtbag

striKeVillain! said:
Yeah, Security is very visually impressive. Probably going to be one of my favorite maps.

Really, you think so?

I thought it looked terribly bland comparatively speaking and the death laser gimic doesn't interest me in the least. Different strokes....

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Got the game in the mail today (legit), but I heard something about Epic planning on banning people who play it online early. So, is it safe to play the game online or will I get wrongfully banned if I do?

cresto

Nils said:
Got the game in the mail today (legit), but I heard something about Epic planning on banning people who play it online early. So, is it safe to play the game online or will I get wrongfully banned if I do?
There is no way that they would do that. If you legitimately received it, how could they?

Dirtbag

Nils said:

Jesus where'd you order it?!

I wonder if there is anywhere in LA that is selling it yet, I can usually find a game a few days early out here.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Alright that's what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure. I'll get spammed to hell by pretty much my entire friendlist though :lol

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Dirtbag said:
Jesus where'd you order it?!

I wonder if there is anywhere in LA that is selling it yet, I can usually find a game a few days early out here.

Microsoft Ambassador Program, I sometimes get games early, but most of the time it's a bit later. Fable 2 was also in the envelope.

niroth

Has anyone seen footage with the pregame lobbies? As a fan of the Halo (and to a slightly lesser extent CoD4) lobby systems I can't wait for this. The host created rooms of Gears of War 1 is what made me quite playing it online (although I realize many loved it).

Aladuf

Banned
_dementia said:
BY HEADSHOTTING UR TEAMMATE RITE?
:lol That is exactly what I was thinking. If there's any matches that have friendly fire on whenever we're playing, then nobody is safe with me.

Aladuf said:
:lol That is exactly what I was thinking. If there's any matches that have friendly fire on whenever we're playing, then nobody is safe with me.
I always play Gears 1 with FF on with my friends. It's just so much better, and you have to be more cautious when you shoot. Not to mention a bunch of hilarious team kills that occur all the time. Will be even more interesting in Gears 2 with the new features.

Hellraizer said:
Not to mention a bunch of hilarious team kills that occur all the time.
I always get blown up by teammates who think they can assist my shotgun skirmishes with random grenade tosses. It is pretty funny though.

Aladuf

Banned
Hellraizer said:
I always play Gears 1 with FF on with my friends. It's just so much better, and you have to be more cautious when you shoot. Not to mention a bunch of hilarious team kills that occur all the time. Will be even more interesting in Gears 2 with the new features.
Same here, me and a friend used to always play with FF on and it made things interesting because anything can happen. But when we started playing with the folks from GAF we had to stop because nobody else liked it. :(

niroth said:
Has anyone seen footage with the pregame lobbies? As a fan of the Halo (and to a slightly lesser extent CoD4) lobby systems I can't wait for this. The host created rooms of Gears of War 1 is what made me quite playing it online (although I realize many loved it).

It does have a party system or matchmaking so I assume its similar to Halo. I however have not seen any videos of the system and have the same questions. I would just like to see how it is all handled because just like you, I stopped playing Gears 1 for the same reason.

Arnie

_dementia said:
BY HEADSHOTTING UR TEAMMATE RITE?
HELL YEAH!

Wow not posted in a while, Fable has me hooked.

I originally thought Stasis would look really bland but from the Youtube videos, it looks gorgeous. All of the rusted metals and low key lighting, wow, Im itching for a warzone on that.

The seriously info has me slightly bummed, I only got Seriously about a month ago and I was playing Gears 1 since launch, it took me so long and when I finally got it, I felt like i had really achieved something. Oh well it looks like "party like it's 1999" will take a fair amount of time, so I'll grind away at that. The ranks next to the name has me excited also, I hope each rank is specific to each playlist which would extend the amount of grinding needed to gain full rank in each playlist. Then when Epic releases the inevitable map packs, they could include more ranks to re-ignite the Gears community, sort of like the Bungie map packs and how Blizzard extend WOW's life.

But seriously I need this game now, I want to be an XBOX ambassador. I'll do anything.
Yes when I used to have nightly player matches with my friends we couldn't turn FF on because team kills would insue. My friends are just so immature, they find it hilarious to shotgun their friends in the back at spawn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zUqhOGuUU
Wow at 4:00 he fires a Boomshot out of the window and a few seconds later you hear a delayed Boom echoing in the distance. I predict the audio effects will be the most underlooked part of this game.

Frester

UltimaPooh said:
I only have a single class on Friday. I might skip.

My 8am is taught by my academic advisor :( I could skip my other class (German) since it's an easy A, but the class is really small and attendance is abysmal as is so I'd feel guilty.

I thought I would've gotten rusty since I have played Gears in a while but I played with some friends last night and I've still got it :D Fuckin' love the Torque bow!

Shins

Banned
-ARNiE- said:
My friends are just so immature, they find it hilarious to shotgun their friends in the back at spawn.
only if you can guarantee a headshot in the first two seconds of play, every time

Frester

Aladuf said:
Same here, me and a friend used to always play with FF on and it made things interesting because anything can happen. But when we started playing with the folks from GAF we had to stop because nobody else liked it. :(

~2 years ago a bunch of friends and I went to a 2v2 Gears tournament (my team made it to the top 8 out of 130+ teams!), and to practice for it we LANed with friendly fire on, and sooooooo many times people would go to preload actives and blast their teammates heads off. Endless hilarity :lol

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
well I should be getting my Gears of War 2 then today if MTV received theirs. Not sure if I'll have all that swag tho -- I'll take the controller tho if I had to pick one.

Aladuf said:
Nice, you like to have friendly fire on? Then we need to play sometime.

*Also.. -ARNiE- check your PM's*
We could give it a try some day when Gears 2 hits, but if you're living in America, there might be some latency issues since I'm from Europe.

And yes, I used to play with Friendly Fire all the time and I never turned it back off, because FF On adds a lot of tension when competing with and against skilled players. Especially when carrying weapons with explosive charges. I also generally preferred Execution (with default settings, none of that 5 second downtime crap) and Assassination in Gears 1, so I'll probably be playing those a lot in 2 as well.

But speaking of Friendly Fire, I just noticed something interesting in the aforementioned Security video. If you sticky a grenade to the wall and someone from your team runs past it, it will explode and potentially kill the guy. Awesome!

Aladuf

Banned
MicVlaD said:
We could give it a try some day when Gears 2 hits, but if you're living in America, there might be some latency issues since I'm from Europe.
We could give it a try at least, with Gears 2 the lag that far away might not be as bad as it was in Gears 1. Me and some of the guys have played with a couple GAFfers from Europe and while they've had lag they said it wasn't horrible.

cresto

bigGIRLSblouse said:
It does have a party system or matchmaking so I assume its similar to Halo. I however have not seen any videos of the system and have the same questions. I would just like to see how it is all handled because just like you, I stopped playing Gears 1 for the same reason.

i think its similar to halo's, but not nearly as fleshed out. i am not positive, but i think you stay in that one room and you can go anywhere with that group of peeps.

Not sure how it works for changing rooms.

Top Bottom