• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

FrankT

ergo said:
i believe the embargo lists on the 3rd. thats what the MTV blog guy said

Monday then, which is what I had read earlier as well.

Kibbles said:
^ I think that was OXM UK, which also gave the first Gears a 9/10

GamePro gave it a 5/5

Wasn't aware of the GP review, good stuff.

Kibbles

Aladuf said:
Is the review in the latest issue of the magazine or something? I just checked their site and it said that it's not reviewed yet.
Yeah. The guys over at the gearsofwar.com forum have a reviews thread going by the way.

Aladuf

Banned
I was just looking for that reviews thread on the Gears forums but I came across a thread with this video. It seems like some footage that's been released but with a new song over it. But I noticed at about 30 seconds in the guy is getting worked by the flamethrower but that corny ass fire effect doesn't come up from the bottom of the screen. Maybe that means you can turn that off? I hope so.

Aladuf said:
I was just looking for that reviews thread on the Gears forums but I came across a thread with this video. It seems like some footage that's been released but with a new song over it. But I noticed at about 30 seconds in the guy is getting worked by the flamethrower but that corny ass fire effect doesn't come up from the bottom of the screen. Maybe that means you can turn that off? I hope so.
If so let me turn of the goddamn blood spatter lens too.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Aladuf said:

Yeah, I gotta say, that flame effect on screen is pretty sad. Coulda done something so much cooler :(

Dirtbag

DKo5 said:
Yeah, I gotta say, that flame effect on screen is pretty sad. Coulda done something so much cooler :(

The scorcher has one super badass flame on it but... with no overpowering bloom effect, no char marks left on the environment, and no lingering flames after it kisses a surface or person totally ruins it for me. It's easily the most over-sold addition to gears

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
striKeVillain! said:

Wow, that's news to me with the integrated friends list - and it pops up instantly too!

Great to see it in a game again after Bungie created it for Halo 2...

And the menu itself is pretty damn nice, finally seeing it in decent quality instead of YouTube quality...

Kibbles said:

Thanks man - very sharp & fluid as always - getting tired of saying this about Gears 2 now, but again, it's great to see some good quality footage...

Kibbles said:

Thanks again - it's a little slow to download so far though...

X26

Banned
I don't think I've seen a shot of any overall stats screens yet. Is it going to be the same as Gears 1 where it lists your basic stats for each mode (kills, deaths, headhsots, etc.) or is it going to be more comprehensive this time around for us stat whores?

Dirtbag said:
The scorcher has one super badass flame on it but... with no overpowering bloom effect, no char marks left on the environment, and no lingering flames after it kisses a surface or person totally ruins it for me. It's easily the most over-sold addition to gears
I'm actually pretty impressed with how the dead bodies smoke and ash for a bit after you've burned them. Different strokes...

zewone

X26 said:
I don't think I've seen a shot of any overall stats screens yet. Is it going to be the same as Gears 1 where it lists your basic stats for each mode (kills, deaths, headhsots, etc.) or is it going to be more comprehensive this time around for us stat whores?
Much more comprehensive. It tracks your overall stats for each game type. Kills/Deaths, Kill/Death ratio, Match wins, Match losses, Round wins, Round losses, downs, revives, and headshots.

zewone said:
Much more comprehensive. It tracks your overall stats for each game type. Kills/Deaths, Kill/Death ratio, Match wins, Match losses, Round wins, Round losses, downs, revives, and headshots.

Awesome, that was something that bugged with with Gears 1. I also hope they have some sort of web integration like Halo 3 but I have yet to hear anything about that area.

Arnie

zewone said:
This is relatively similar to Gears 1 which at the time had a very extensive stat tracking menu IMO. I was never upset at any lack of stats information, however the new K/D ratio is nice for people who have trouble working it out.

I just ordered the Gears of War : Asphyo Fields novel off Amazon. It seems it only ships on the 6th in the UK. Perhaps I will have it in time to start reading in the midnight launch que.

I am with ThirdEngine primarily on the Scorcher debate, I am quite happy with the smoke effect on the corpse's of my victims. Perhaps some singed environment detail would be nice but it probably couldn't make it in their due to time constraints and whatnot.

The in game friends list looks really useful, I was a big fan in Halo 2 and I am glad Bungies ripples have affected other big developers. I had to delete a bucket of stuff off my 20GB hard drive yesterday in preperation for the 8GB Gears 2 install once NXE rolls out. I'm thinking of buying a new hardrive. Quick question, does the data transfer cable only come with the Elite console and not with the individual 120GB hard drive sold seperately?

Ding

-ARNiE- said:
The in game friends list looks really useful, I was a big fan in Halo 2 and I am glad Bungies ripples have affected other big developers. I had to delete a bucket of stuff off my 20GB hard drive yesterday in preperation for the 8GB Gears 2 install once NXE rolls out. I'm thinking of buying a new hardrive. Quick question, does the data transfer cable only come with the Elite console and not with the individual 120GB hard drive sold seperately?
I think you might have that backwards. In any event, the 120GB drive you can buy in the store definitely comes with an upgrade cable. I bought and used one just a couple weeks ago.

Arnie

Ding said:
I think you might have that backwards. In any event, the 120GB drive you can buy in the store definitely comes with an upgrade cable. I bought and used one just a couple weeks ago.
Ahh good news, I will probably buy one then.

VaLiancY

I'm about a third into the book and it isn't bad, I'm enjoying it...
World War Z is making me bias
*, some nice tidbits here and there. A lot characters especially Marcus and Hoffman are far more interesting in text than on screen.

* Joke spoiler

Aladuf

Banned
-ARNiE- said:
Gamevideos have a triple piece interview with our boy Cliff Bleszinski about various things. A very interesting watch.
Cool, gonna watch them now, I guess part 3 will go up today it seems since the other 2 went out a day apart from each other.

edit: second video won't work for me, it locks up after you input your age. :/

Aladuf

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
Ah...got Fallout 3 today.

The hours are going to fucking fly.

Not much longer my friends. Not much longer at all...

GET SOME.
Yeah Fallout 3 + LBP is an epic time killer for me right now. The days leading to Gears 2 have never been so painless.

Shins

Banned
That would be pretty epic, considering.
hm.gif

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Aladuf said:
Yeah Fallout 3 + LBP is an epic time killer for me right now. The days leading to Gears 2 have never been so painless.

Watch your houses' clock tick while thinking of Gears everytime the second hand moves.

Embrace pain.

Aladuf

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Watch your houses' clock tick while thinking of Gears everytime the second hand moves.

Embrace pain.
I've been down that road, I had the countdown timer from IGN on my desktop from early September until about 2 weeks ago. I had to shut if off because time just seemed to freeze.

Arnie

So i was perusing the official forums and it seems confirmed that there are 5 ranks in the Gears 2's multiplayer.

It was also confirmed by a dev (Joe Graf) that the ranks would increase and decrease in each playlist depending on a players win ratio, not their kill/death ratio.

I reckon this is a good thing as a player who acts greedy, not helping the team shouldn't be a rank 5. It also enables the more support oriented players, the ones who like to weaken foes with their lancers, to gain a high rank. This could also be another step to try and diffuse the shotgun in multiplayer. If people are always concentrated on winning their ranked matches to ensure they get/retain a rank 5, then they won't just go Rambo'ing into combat with their shotgun out. It may also force an emphasis on co-ordinated teamwork as you reach the highest ranks. Very smart move by Epic IMO, what are everyone else's feelings?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
-ARNiE- said:
So i was perusing the official forums and it seems confirmed that there are 5 ranks in the Gears 2's multiplayer.

It was also confirmed by a dev (Joe Graf) that the ranks would increase and decrease in each playlist depending on a players win ratio, not their kill/death ratio.

This is TrueSkill, which is what I believe Cliff said would be in Gears 2. Similar to Halo 3, although a bit tweaked and instead of numbers, it'll show an emblem.

"Nice".

tuco11

Can horde mode be played offline? Spltiscreen 2 or 4 player? Some of my friends are still in the dark ages and don't have xbox live yet. :lol

CitizenCope said:
How
AWESOME
?

if gears 1 was
awesome
then this
AWESOME
is 2 times better!

it has more
gore,guts,blood,bad words
than ever before!

BUY THIS GAME NOW and if you own 1 copy be sure to buy the import version aswell.

Mark V

Dirtbag said:
Oh neat, I might go to that. Just dealing with Universal Citywalk is such a giant pain in the ass, and i'd be giving myself a much longer drive home.... decisions decisions.

Easy to decision: come to CityWalk. A launch like this only comes once a year, if that. You can get the game anywhere, but you can only be part of the biggest launch experience at CityWalk. Think about it:

*There will be hundreds of fellow Gears fans to experience all the hype with
*Gears swag
*meet Cliff, get your stuff signed
*see the voice actors (who knows what they'll do? if John DiMaggio at ComicCon was any indication...funny stuff!)
*Hammerburst code (can't get it anywhere else besides midnight launches)
*be part of something special

Yes parking at CityWalk is a pain, so organize a GAF carpool to save on gas/parking. :D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
DancingJesus said:
Why is the roadie run so much slower? :/

The game as a whole seems to have a slower pace. You can also turn with RRing now, unless that was possible before and I just forgot.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Papercuts said:
The game as a whole seems to have a slower pace. You can also turn with RRing now, unless that was possible before and I just forgot.

No, you're right. When I played Gears 2 at PAX, I could easily turn corners while RRing. It actually affected my play because I was expecting it to be super stiff like Gears 1.

Top Bottom