• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Denzar

Hootie said:
Definitely agree with ya, although I wish the final battle was a liiiittle tougher.

Overall it was an amazing game, and I had an absolute blast playing with a buddy. Horde mode? Infinite fun as well. I'll be anxiously awaiting 3.

Yeah, the final battle was a breeze!

Loved the character too. Meatheads? For sure!

JB1981

Was just thinking about how satisfied I am with how the game runs these days. If Gears 3 is the same, I will be pretty pleased. If its better, then that's awesome. I find that this game now runs better than most games on the consoles.

Lothars

Diablohead said:
They are really fishing for that top 20 live slot now...

Probably but they have done xp events at labour day and most holidays for at least the last year, so it's not unpresidented.

Ballistik

They're doing these big XP events right now and the majority of regular Gears players will hit 100. We still got 8 months to go before Gears 3, what is Epic thinking of doing until then?!

Lothars

Ballistik said:
They're doing these big XP events right now and the majority of regular Gears players will hit 100. We still got 8 months to go before Gears 3, what is Epic thinking of doing until then?!

I bet they have something planned but I heard that this XP event will not have a cap off, so who knows how high this multiplier can get.

Ballistik

Did you guys check out Major Nelson and his top 20 games of the week? Gears 2 was absent from the top 20 for the week of August 9th. This is ridiculous and likely a mistake considering Gears 2 has consistently been in the top 10. It was in spot #8 a week before, and now its gone? What could be the reason for this?

smik

AnEternalEnigma said:
Rod Fergusson's Twitter:

ohhh man (smh)

EPIC is getting really desperate to try keep people playing, let it go EPIC, Gears Multiplayer is just not relevant anymore

didnt it drop out of the top "20" in the charts, thats a pretty steep drop?

smik said:
let it go EPIC, Gears Multiplayer is just not relevant anymore

Since the update that introduced the Social Playlists, Gears 2 is by far the most enjoyable multiplayer shooter for me. The multiplayer/matchmaking model they have here should be an example for all other multiplyer shooters (although it depends greatly on having bots available, but that is something that all shooters should have anyway).

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It made it to 25x XP, oh wow.

When Gears 3 comes out, and you aren't level 100 by then (no doubt there will be PLENTY more events at the rate they are coming, and how much higher they are reaching), you don't deserve to complain whatsoever.

I got my level 100 back when the highest was 8x XP - 25x XP is just ridiculous.

That's love for the fans right there.

JB1981

BrokenSymmetry said:
Since the update that introduced the Social Playlists, Gears 2 is by far the most enjoyable multiplayer shooter for me. The multiplayer/matchmaking model they have here should be an example for all other multiplyer shooters (although it depends greatly on having bots available, but that is something that all shooters should have anyway).

Completely agreed!

Sometimes this game just wants me to take a hammer to it. Just started playing again this month, and I know why I quit in the first place. Kills are totally fucking random, that and super hosting\stacked teams. RAWWWRRRRR!

Ballistik said:
Did you guys check out Major Nelson and his top 20 games of the week? Gears 2 was absent from the top 20 for the week of August 9th. This is ridiculous and likely a mistake considering Gears 2 has consistently been in the top 10. It was in spot #8 a week before, and now its gone? What could be the reason for this?
People get bored and pissed off at host advantage and lag?

AnEternalEnigma said:
Rod Fergusson's Twitter:
In the words of Marcus: "ah.. SHIT!" I don't want to force myself to have wings, why!

Skilotonn said:
It made it to 25x XP, oh wow.

When Gears 3 comes out, and you aren't level 100 by then (no doubt there will be PLENTY more events at the rate they are coming, and how much higher they are reaching), you don't deserve to complain whatsoever.

I got my level 100 back when the highest was 8x XP - 25x XP is just ridiculous.

That's love for the fans right there.
I'm probably still in single digits. :p

Edit: When I search for a game it never actually finds a game... Is the online this dead?

Edit: I don't know if it's because I don't have the map packs or their matchmaking sucks but I literally can't find a single game. What shit.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I don't know if it's because I don't have the map packs or their matchmaking sucks but I literally can't find a single game. What shit.

Most people are playing the Social Playlists, for which you need all map packs.

BrokenSymmetry said:
Most people are playing the Social Playlists, for which you need all map packs.

Do you get XP in social or do you need to play ranked? Maybe I should search social... Need all the map packs is so stupid.

Edit: O, need all the maps to play anything in that type... Nevermind then.

dankir

Shit it's at 30X times now!!! SIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

edit: Btw I'm just talking about the upcoming labor day weekend XP Multiplier weekend.

dankir

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is it for all game types? Does it worked for ranked? I played 2 days ago and it definitely wasn't giving me much more if anything.

No the XP multiplier will only come into play labor day weekend. But it'll hit at least 35 in the next week and a half I'd think.

Right now XP is only double.

see5harp

Pretty sad that I'm going to miss most of labor day weekend due to some rib cookoff in Reno that I have to attend with friends. If I had known XP would be 30X+ I never would have offered to hang out with my actual friends. It's sad, I know.

EDIT: 25x is good too. Most of the people I know who just started playing Gears 2, passed me in rank playing Horde (which is just absurd) because of these XP events.

bumpkin

Oh I am *so* down that weekend. I've already forewarned the wife that I plan to play disgusting amounts of MP that weekend. I must reach 100 (I'm at 52 or 53, I think?) this time.

'Duf? Third? Nub Cakes? ZER0? You guys all down to bring the pain? :D

Minamu

Dosia said:
How much xp is needed to reach lvl 100?
About 7.5 million. You're gonna have to visit an achievement whoring website for more accurate numbers :)

There better be more fucking players online this time >_< It was utterly abysmal last time (in both ranked and social).

Holy Shit 25 x XP starting today...

GEARS 2 LABOR DAY 25x XP EVENT

Fans turned out in huge numbers to follow the Gears of War Facebook page and drive up the Gears 2 Labor Day XP multiplier—now you get the reap the rewards. From September 3-7, you’ll rake in a staggering 25 times the usual XP rewards across all multiplayer modes. Boost your rank in style with gold Lancers and Hammerbursts, enabled for all players throughout the event. And be sure to check out Horde, where the Locust are playing a new game—Torque Bow Tag! With the exception of Scorchers and Boomshots, all enemy rifles are replaced with Torque Bows. Update your life insurance and watch your back!

sweetvar26 said:
Oh really, why is that? I thought when they do this, supposed to be for all the playlists.

I dont know why they decided to make it less for horde but there are people freaking out about it on the epic forums now. I hope they change it, sincce I like playing horde the best.

yankeehater said:
I dont know why they decided to make it less for horde but there are people freaking out about it on the epic forums now. I hope they change it, sincce I like playing horde the best.

I can play online but none of my friends do, they only play Horde. They are quite scared to play online because it is too late now and I guess everyone who does are good at it. They want to lay back, relax and just snipe or have fun playing Horde which is why I play with them.

I guess I will have to play some multiplayer by myself.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
yankeehater said:
Sucks it is only 12.5x for horde mode.

No mode is actually 25x the score, it's 25x the multiplier for the score times 25 - and every mode has it's own multiplier, e.g. with Annex, the points you get at the end of the match will be multiplied by 0.25 to get your XP by normal standards (times 2 after that because of the permanent double XP from TU6). With this event it is essentially 0.25 x 25 x your final score for Annex for example.

It has always been this way with every event.

Is anyone looking to level up quick, I have a 4 person party doing insane runs on security and we need a 5th. If interested send me a message on live at yankeeh8er.

So what's the quickest way of earning XP now? I know that Horde mode is only 12.5x, as opposed to 25x, but I always get my ass handed to me in multiplayer games.

If multiplayer is the best way though, any recommendations on which game mode is best?

Horde is still the best way, unless you are really good at the MP modes. You get over 6,000 exp a round of horde on insane, with the security trick you can just keep doing wave one. You get over 6k a round and a round only takes a minutes. I went from being a 30 yesterday to a 58 today. I will be on all day if any Gafers are looking to level up quick.

see5harp

Just play social execution. Even when I'm not getting first place, I'm getting around 28,000 XP per match. Just played for an hour and went up 4 levels. This is madness.

see5harp said:
Just play social execution. Even when I'm not getting first place, I'm getting around 28,000 XP per match.

Is there a reason why you prefer Social as opposed to ranked?

And yes Horde is still really good for earning XP, as long as you have some friends not running around and get the waves completed, every wave on insane nets you around 6000XP, that is a lot!

Top Bottom