• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
h3ro said:
Call off the attack dogs bro, Dark has an opinion on which "look" he prefers, nothing worth getting worked up over...
Exactly. I'm not attacking Gears 2 by any means. I think it's a great game and a beautiful one at that. I'm simply presenting my take on the presentation (which was an extremely important part of the Gears experience for me).

I had the 360 version.
I'm sorry, man, but either your 360 was having issues or your memory is a bit off. Perhaps there is a difference in multiplayer (haven't tried Gears 2 multi), but in the original, texture pop-in generally only occured after dying or following some cutscenes. The same occurs in Gears 2 (but they fade in textures rather than pop them in). It's really not an issue in either title.

The only time I remember seeing a lot of texture pop-in was during multiplayer sessions and that very well could be improved in the sequel.

sprocket

Banned
Darklord said:
Not even the (act 3 spoiler)
riftworm
?

I saw that coming a mile away. if you noticed right before that you see the wall move a little and looks different than the rock. plus [ there was a collectable about talking to worms] before that as well.

It was no near meeting a berserker for the first time or using the hammer of dawn on a seeder for the first time.

FrankT

Relix said:
Is this a revenge situation or something? GTFO of this thread and stop flaming. Bring this shit elsewhere.

No where near to such.

JB1981 said:
wow someone's having a sunday afternoon meltdown.

Yes, of course.

dark10x said:
*shrug*

There was speculation that the PS3 version ran smoother at one point, but I have proven that to be quite false.

You had claimed early on they looked about par and I certainly did not see that as anywhere close to factual. Regardless, doesn't matter.

dark10x said:
Well, yes, they actually DO look very much on par. Honestly, in some ways, I do think the PS3 version looks a bit better. The framerate is generally smoother on 360, however (I'm not sure how you could suggest otherwise).

That is the entire point I never suggested to be otherwise I was the one stating it looked much smoother.

J2d

sprocket said:
- easier than the first game on normal.
They need to get some good ai going, one can still sit there with the sniper and pick them off without too much effort.

sprocket said:
I saw that coming a mile away. if you noticed right before that you see the wall move a little and looks different than the rock. plus [ there was a collectable about talking to worms] before that as well.

It was no near meeting a berserker for the first time or using the hammer of dawn on a seeder for the first time.
Riding a
Brumak and Reaver
were much more OMG than using the Hammer or seeing a Berserker (Although there should have been Berserkers in the game).

Zabka

I am shocked at how stupid the online system is. One of the big reasons why Call of Duty 4 has the most popular multiplayer is because there is no bullshit to get through to play the damn game, and once you're in the game you just keep playing as players are dropped and added. Gears 2 just feels like it's wasting my time. Why Halo 3 is considered the standard I will never understand.

I'm also disappointed with the alternate control scheme. If they had put just dodge on Y it would be perfect.

The campaign was great though, except for Act I and the tank part.

WrikaWrek

Banned
sprocket said:
my impressions.

+ love the new weapons and enemies.

+ I personally like the less serious story. Makes it more fun.

- slow down
( specially the snow tank part )

- no real holy shit moments like the first game.

- locals are not as good as the first game.

Reads like an 8.4

sprocket

Banned
funniest part of the game

the snow tank level.. the lady tells you to cross the bridge and the Y look comes up. You press Y and the tank turns to look object( the bridge) which makes you drive right of the cliff.

all you can do is laugh. :p

watership

sprocket said:
my impressions.

- slow down

You really think there were no "Holy Shit" moments? I completely disagree you with. The whole game was packed with them. And I also found the locations to be great, especially how big everything was.

I do agree with the difficulty settings. They have taken the Halo 2/3 Route and made the lower two difficulties easier than the norm. I stopped the game in the 2nd level and restarted on Hardcore and it was a much more rewarding experience.

dark10x

You had claimed early on they looked about par and I certainly did not see that as anywhere close to factual. Regardless, doesn't matter.
Well, yes, they actually DO look very much on par. Honestly, in some ways, I do think the PS3 version looks a bit better. The framerate is generally smoother on 360, however (I'm not sure how you could suggest otherwise).

Sushen

sprocket said:

It's way more balanced and paced than the first one and there was zero filler levels. It's got more variety, too. Also, loved the empowerment as the game progress if you know what I'm talking about. Giving 8.6 seems unfair and not objective. I'll give you that the hammer of dawn was awesome when I first got it in GOW1.

dark10x

Sushen said:
It's way more balanced and paced than the first one and there was zero filler levels. It's got more variety, too. Giving 8.6 seems unfair and not objective.
Which levels in the original would you classify as "filler"? I'm just curious.

I don't really think either game has a lot of filler, however, the sequel often places you in a position where your forward momentum is limited by the scripting (often waiting for vehicles or some other event).

Sushen

dark10x said:
Which levels in the original would you classify as "filler"? I'm just curious.

I don't really think either game has a lot of filler, however, the sequel often places you in a position where your forward momentum is limited by the scripting (often waiting for vehicles or some other event).
I didn't mean GOW1 was filled with fillers. I was referencing other games that tried to artificially bloat the contents, although I'm not going to mention the names since I don't want to start a flame war. I like the length of GOW1 & 2, short and sweet.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just beat it! Absolutely awesome game. Super awesome. Act 5 was awesome. Final boss was a lil' lolz but the rest of the game was so great. Delivered in every way for me.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Just beat it! Absolutely awesome game. Super awesome. Act 5 was awesome. Final boss was a lil' lolz but the rest of the game was so great. Delivered in every way for me.

The final Boss worked more as a "visual climax" to the game, than exactly a "gameplay climax". If you know what i mean.

Kibbles

spermatic cord said:
Shotgun too weak. Chainsaw too strong. Smoke grenades are stupid. Pretty fun game though.
Shotgun seems the same to me, it just seems weaker to you because you no longer can run, roll, and shoot to win all your games ;) The Shotgun is still one shot kill up close, Chainsaw is a little bit easier because they have to make you lower your chainsaw twice, and smoke grenades are actually useful now.

Y2Kev

WrikaWrek said:
The final Boss worked more as a "visual climax" to the game, than exactly a "gameplay climax". If you know what i mean.
The game "climaxed" in act 4 I think. I loved Act 5 but it felt very much like a "we're gonna try new things, see if you like them" type bit. There was only really 2 chapters in Act 5 of "stop and pop." They were great, but Act 4 was really superb.

sprocket said:

the snow tank level.. the lady tells you to cross the bridge and the Y look comes up. You press Y and the tank turns to look object( the bridge) which makes you drive right of the cliff.

Almost happened to me but luckily I "felt" it coming and avoided it.

Same thing happens
at the end of Act 4 where you are hiding in cover and if you press Y you pop out of cover and most likely will get Torque Bow'ed by some Theron Guard
Can't tell you how many times that happened. I think they did that purposefully. Who knows.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Kibbles said:
Shotgun seems the same to me, it just seems weaker to you because you no longer can run, roll, and shoot to win all your games ;) The Shotgun is still one shot kill up close, Chainsaw is a little bit easier because they have to make you lower your chainsaw twice, and smoke grenades are actually useful now.

Wrong, Gears 1 the Shotgun almost always stunned someone when you shot them up close, in Gears 2 it may stun someone maybe 25% of the time. It seems to me they didn't give the Shotgun stopping power.

sprocket said:

Are you one of the guys who rushes through games? Only way you'd fall off is by pinning the accelerator through the sequence.

Raiden

Banned
Love it.

About the matchmaking: I really like everything about it, except for the long waits for normal 5 games. But really i play 90% of the time wingman with my buddy and we get a game in no time.

I dont experience any lag, or not any serious lag that affects my game.

The single player is pretty f'n cool so far.
Its just not very "wow" anymore because you're used to the previous game. But it has lots of variety unlike the flow of the first game imho.

Kibbles

lol my friends and I played 4 player system link Horde and got to wave 26 on Normal, then played 26-50 on casual after having some difficulties moving on. :p So fun, but we should've kept playing normal. We also had some classic system link matches on Canals. I am so loving this game. It really has exceeded my expectations.

- slow down ( specially the snow tank part )

What? Did you even play the game? I didn't notice any slowdowns in the tank part, and unlike the first game, this was jam packed with "holy shit!" moments. Locals are not as good? What? The variety in this game is great. As for the last part... have you ever heard of Hardcore?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ugg, I suck at this game.

I was really good at Gears 1, but I cant get past the very beginning of the first stage (not the hosptial).

HRM :(

Kibbles

sionyboy said:
I'm trying to think of times when I've died repeatedly so far, I'm at the start of Act 3 so all of these will refer to Acts 1 and 2;

-First time you encounter the Kantus at the temple/gates structure. Didn't realise that after a while the drones will piss off, I was trying to kill everything and getting shot to buggery whilst doing so.

Not sure if you noticed, but there is
fruit hanging from the ceiling that you can shoot down to attract rock worms to help you get closer with cover.

Kibbles

Rei_Toei said:
Just finished on hardcore. Insane here I come. Some general spoilers:

Story:
I totally expected more about the research facility and the Sirens. You get dropped in, find out some vague hints, exit, and it isn't really discussed/relevant anymore. I expected them to have some talk about with Hoffmann or the Prez. I mean, they're experimenting with children. Somewhere it's said that the test subjects lose hair and have abnormal fast fingernail growth. Sound Locustesque to me.

Woah
Maria lost a lot of hair and overall looked aged. Sure she may have been tortured and overworked, but I think there is more to it than that...

Kaako

Felium Defensor
StoOgE said:
Ugg, I suck at this game.

I was really good at Gears 1, but I cant get past the very beginning of the first stage (not the hosptial).

HRM :(
What difficulty are you playing on?
I played it on medium and I thought it was fun and pretty easy. That being said, I just beat Gears 1 couple of weeks ago so the controls and feel of the game were still fresh for me.

StoOgE

Kaako said:
What difficulty are you playing on?
I played it on medium and I thought it was fun and pretty easy. That being said, I just beat Gears 1 couple of weeks ago so the controls and feel of the game were still fresh for me.

I just went through Gears 1 (finished yesterday 5th playthrough) on Hardcore and had no problem at all.

I am currently sucking shit trying to kill the Reaver. They went down really easy with the trike gone in Gears 1. They dont go down at all in Gears 2 with it :(

Ok, this is seriously starting to piss me off, I have unloaded countless rounds into it. Ive killed the pilot and the gunner and the piece of shit won't die. Someone tell me what the fuck I'm supposed to do.

sprocket

Banned
Kibbles said:
What? Did you even play the game? I didn't notice any slowdowns in the tank part, and unlike the first game, this was jam packed with "holy shit!" moments. Locals are not as good? What? The variety in this game is great. As for the last part... have you ever heard of Hardcore?

Come on now.. every time there was a big explosion the game drop a lot of frames. I could see you "missing" that since it didn't happen often but the
snow tank
slowed to a crawl at any explosion or fill screen.

And I am not saying its a bad game. I love the game .. I still have GOW1 which I played through last week to prepare for GOW2. Those are just things I notice about part 2.

Y2Kev

Warm Machine said:
Are you one of the guys who rushes through games? Only way you'd fall off is by pinning the accelerator through the sequence.
Nah, I was playing with my partner just driving along and I almost went off the cliff too. I quickly hit reverse and saved myself but I almost took the dive too.

StoOgE said:
I just went through Gears 1 (finished yesterday 5th playthrough) on Hardcore and had no problem at all.

I am currently sucking shit trying to kill the Reaver. They went down really easy with the trike gone in Gears 1. They dont go down at all in Gears 2 with it :(
Ok, this is seriously starting to piss me off, I have unloaded countless rounds into it. Ive killed the pilot and the gunner and the piece of shit won't die. Someone tell me what the fuck I'm supposed to do.
Assuming that I am thinking of the correct place you are at, that was difficult, but you have to learn to use the turret in Gears 2. This one overheats, so if you use it correctly, you can take down the reaver.

Do you need me to help you?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
StoOgE said:

Ahh, the Reavers...prepare to fight a shit ton of them in Gears 2. I really didn't have a specific strategy for them, just kept moving from cover to cover and unload on their asses every chance I get. I kept shooting them in the face/jaw mostly though. Also, at times you'll get the hammer of dawn which works wonders against Reavers and all kinds of other shit. :D

Plan on replaying it on Insane with a co-op buddy.

Brakara

Y2Kev said:
The game "climaxed" in act 4 I think. I loved Act 5 but it felt very much like a "we're gonna try new things, see if you like them" type bit. There was only really 2 chapters in Act 5 of "stop and pop." They were great, but Act 4 was really superb.

I thought the last chapter was great. Not particular great gameplay, but
riding the Brumak
was incredible satisfying.

Also, why do people keep saying Normal is easier in Gears 2? There was no Normal in Gears 1. For someone new to the franchise, I would say Normal is a tad more difficult than Casual in Gears 1. And if you don't believe me, then go and play Gears 1 on Casual. It's a breeze.

Y2Kev

Brakara said:
I thought the last chapter was great. Not particular great gameplay, but
riding the Brumak
was incredible satisfying.

Also, why do people keep saying Normal is easier in Gears 2? There was no Normal in Gears 1. For someone new to the franchise, I would say Normal is a tad more difficult than Casual in Gears 1. And if you don't believe me, then go and play Gears 1 on Casual. It's a breeze.
Totally agree, it was great. But I think Hardcore in this game is easier than Hardcore in Gears 1. Maybe I'm just good at the game now but I died as a result of non-glitches or 1-hit kills very, very infrequently.

Which I like, mind you! Plus, maybe the crawl helps.

StoOgE

Dax01 said:
Assuming that I am thinking of the correct place you are at, that was difficult, but you have to learn to use the turret in Gears 2. This one overheats, so if you use it correctly, you can take down the reaver.

Do you need me to help you?

I can do it, it's just the beginning of the first real level is basically a recreation of my least favorite part of Gears 1 (the turret on the train). Right at the beginning.

Edit: ok, I got through it, basically you cant mash down the turret anymore. Meh. Not a great part of the game.

Tried to download the gold lancer that came with LE, I couldn't download it the first time I tried it, and now LIVE is telling me the code is invalid.

:(

Haden

Banned
Zabka said:
I am shocked at how stupid the online system is. One of the big reasons why Call of Duty 4 has the most popular multiplayer is because there is no bullshit to get through to play the damn game, and once you're in the game you just keep playing as players are dropped and added. Gears 2 just feels like it's wasting my time. Why Halo 3 is considered the standard I will never understand.
I'm also disappointed with the alternate control scheme. If they had put just dodge on Y it would be perfect.

The campaign was great though, except for Act I and the tank part.

I completley agree with this it sucks to be playing with a group then be chucked out to the lobby by yourself after finishing the game. I don't get why teh COD 4 system isn't the standard that everyone follows also seems to load games much quicker.

Still shame to be a negative poster only so I will say I love the game and would love a horde game with some gaffers think I have one added so far.

Chinner

Banned
Dax01 said:
Tried to download the gold lancer that came with LE, I couldn't download it the first time I tried it, and now LIVE is telling me the code is invalid.

:(
go to your download history and it should be there. just keep trying to download and it'll do it eventualyly.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
sprocket said:
my impressions.

- slow down

I'm not surprised that you think this, at all.

I can't understand why, but I'm just not surprised.

LowParry

Music. The muuuusic! The music was awesome now that I've went back to play a few the scenes I enjoyed most. I know there's probably a lot of unanswered questions but I'm guessing you could find some of them within the notes you pick up as to why is what and who did what. Or something.

BuRT! said:
anyone want to play horde mode soon? name is 'el burto'

I might be online here soon. Just played a bunch of Versus games and I'm taking a brief break. RyoGCH is my GamerTag. Any other GAF members want to play Horde?

StoOgE

Ok, this game is seriously a C+ right now, which is really disapointing considing the first is my favorite game this generation.

There is too much shit that requires you to act really fast, which is the opposite of the first game which rewarded being methodical. It also seems like they've gotten too cute so far and aren't using enough of the core gameplay mechanic. Hopefully this gets a lot better and the game goes back to its roots.

The first game had a handful of parts that I didnt care for... the rambler (bleh) and the trike gun on the train at the end. They came up with clever ways to rely on the same core gameplay mechanic. Right now it feels like I'm playing some random game and not Gears 2.

Top Bottom