• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Danthrax said:
I almost passed out while alone in my house =(
I'm sorry to hear that, and it must have really sucked for you. :( I'm squeamish too, but only when it comes to real organs. Videogame organs don't bother me.

Brakara

Y2Kev said:
Totally agree, it was great. But I think Hardcore in this game is easier than Hardcore in Gears 1. Maybe I'm just good at the game now but I died as a result of non-glitches or 1-hit kills very, very infrequently.

Yeah, hardcore is probably the same difficulty, but I think that's a mistake considering there's lots of veteran Gears players this time around. They should've made Normal somewhere between Casual and Hardcore and Hardcore somewhere between Hardcore and Insane.

Also, for those having problem with the turret sections: use RB to cool down. Everything became much easier once I discovered that.

FFChris

Ramirez said:
Chainsaw needs a nerf, fast. Why did they change it from the first game? You shouldn't be able to continue the animation if you're getting shot while revving it up.

Probably did it so they'd get to show off the chainsaw duels more.

Ramirez said:
Chainsaw needs a nerf, fast. Why did they change it from the first game? You shouldn't be able to continue the animation if you're getting shot while revving it up.

I think I said this before, but being shot slows you down, so you can shoot them and slow them down, you still can interupt the chainsaw by hitting them with a solid Shotgun blast, or you can Chainsaw duel them. It's fine if you ask me. At least you're not immune while chainsawing or executing anymore.

t4ng0

I'm sorry, but
heat-seeking collapsing pillars is complete bullshit. cheap scripted boss fights suck as is, i don't need huge columns of stone defying the laws of physics.

edit: fucking bullshit.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I am right past the
tank part when you kill 3 Brumaks.

How long do I have to go before I finish the campaign? I am enjoying it, but it certainly isn't my thing, and I just want to be done with it so that I can enjoy MP.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
t4ng0 said:
I'm sorry, but
heat-seeking collapsing pillars is complete bullshit. cheap scripted boss fights suck as is, i don't need huge columns of stone defying the laws of physics.

edit: fucking bullshit.

Really simple actually:
you let the column fall and you roll left or right right at the last second, like Dom tells you to...

And I'll have to do it again, but I'd figure that it's Skorge that steered the column your way after cutting it down...

CliffyB

Playah
Danthrax said:
why

WHY does this game make me
walk right up to a heart and cut its arteries with a chainsaw?

fucking WHY

there is ONE part of the human anatomy that makes me want to vomit/pass out, and that's it.

what's more, they make me do it
THREE FUCKING TIMES

I honestly had to stop and take a breather at one point, drink some water, chill on Facebook for 20 minutes, get the mail. I really don't know if I can play through this game again because of that one part.

Please tell me I at least don't have to do that again later in the game! I just started Act 3, BTW.

Best. Post. Ever.

It's Sunday afternoon and I'm so very addicted to this thread. :D

godhandiscen

Fuck the caverns. Gears 1 had beautiful scenery, but this game is just stupid in this aspect.

Ice Caverns.
Flesh Caverns.
Green Rock Caverns.
Dark Cavern.

If for some stupid reason I find a stupid "lava cavern" later I am quitting this campaign for a while. I am really getting bored of the scenery.

I understand the Locust lived underground, but Gears 1 was so much more beautiful. :(

Teknoman

CliffyB said:
Best. Post. Ever.

2yo4isl.gif

godhandiscen said:
Fuck the caverns. Gears 1 had beautiful scenery, but this game is just stupid in this aspect.

Ice Caverns.
Flesh Caverns.
Green Rock Caverns.
Dark Cavern.

If for some stupid reason I find a stupid "lava cavern" later I am quitting this campaign for a while. I am really getting bored of the scenery.

I understand the Locust lived underground, but Gears 1 was so much more beautiful. :(

Umm... the area after the first cave was pretty damn nice looking. There are alot of great looking scenes.

godhandiscen

Lostconfused said:
This game is definitely better than 1 in every single way.
No. The first game had better environments for the SP campaign.

Finished this yesterday, and while I enjoyed it I didn't like it as much as the original.
The first one had a nice languid pace and a real feeling of desolation and of humanity's last stand against unknowable monsters. The sequel is more of a straight up war against the underground space lizards.
Story wise
bit disappointing, no real answers just more random enigmatic stuff (although I still think the Locust are the mutated remains of Sera's first human colonists - the Queen seems to point in that direction).

It's a bit like the progression from Halo 1 to Halo 2 - the sequel is better in every technical sense, but I think I preferred the atmosphere of the original.

CliffyB said:
Best. Post. Ever.

CliffyB, you guys deserve massive amounts of gratitude. GoW2 is SO much better than GoW1, GoW2 is how you make a proper sequel, though the online still needs some work.

Teknoman

godhandiscen said:

Eh I think the environments are better and more diverse than in Gears 1. Not to say Gears 1 didnt have some cool stuff, I just like the environments in Gears 2 better. More organic stuff and less old buildings.

Acidote

Finally, I completed the collectionist achievement. That last damn object made me run fucking fast before the gate closed.

I've read the 41 of them, some of them quite useless, and some of them pointing
that the locusts are mutated humans through a virus. The one that makes people spit pieces of their own lungs and something brown.

Hootie

Dax01 said:
CliffyB, you guys deserve massive amounts of gratitude. GoW2 is SO much better than GoW1, GoW2 is how you make a proper sequel, though the online still needs some work.

Kiss ass!

newsguy

Well since you're reading, know that your game literally won't allow me to get the proper sleep I need for work. We played since the moment we got home from midnight launch until about 6 am. This is obviously not a time for grown ass men to be awake, so we called it a night after the 6 brutal hours of warzone.

The only problem is (and I should have remembered this after Gears 1) when people are sticking grenades onto others, chainsaws are spraying blood on your screen, and alarms are going off to notify you there's a FUCKING AVALANCHE approaching, your body will not allow you to rest. so from about 6 to 7am I had to let my heart rate come down from about 120bpm to something more acceptable for rem sleep.

Blueblur1

I was avoiding this thread like the plague due to spoilers (made that one post because I needed help).

This game is so frickin' awesome.
The worm insides was CRAZY. Three damn hearts!? Yuck. I almost couldn't stand it but it was so looked so amazing that I couldn't look away. (I'll stick with majoring in pharmacy though. lol)

And what the hell, man? The Locust queen looks like a human!?

I've spent the last 4 hours playing against bots and its been a blast. There are a few moments where the AI takes a dive (like when a Marcus bot was prepping that rocket heavy weapon and never got out of the kneeling stance for the rest of the round; good thing he was in that room with lasers surrounding all sides on Security because I won the round that way since the remaining bot couldn't figure out how to get to him :lol).

I can't wait until the 19th when I can get back on Live.

Hootie said:
Kiss ass!
I think you are just jealous that I live near Epic Games and you don't.

But on topic, people quitting is a real problem. I'm playing a game right now 5 v 2. EG, you really need to offer some sort of penalty for quitting.

godhandiscen

Teknoman said:
Eh I think the environments are better and more diverse than in Gears 1. Not to say Gears 1 didnt have some cool stuff, I just like the environments in Gears 2 better. More organic stuff and less old buildings.
:lol definitely more "organic".

I loved the feeling of sadness of the first Gears. The desolated cities and destroyed architectural magesty. So far, I have only got a glimpse of this in a small area that ended too soon. The hospital level was actually a crappy urban environment in comparison to prior urban environments in Gears 1. After that, it has just been an almost consecutive series of boring looking caverns.

Acidote

Oh, and people are so used to GoW1 rythm in MP, that frag mines are like a gift from the heavens. Nobody stops to shoot them, or even see if they're there.

CliffyB said:
Best. Post. Ever.

So is it true that now you have to shoot the actual chainsaw to make the other player lower it? I've charged through quite a few people hitting me while still being able to get the kill.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Dax01 said:
That part was so fucking awesome. I loved doing it.

The best part is when MArcus is completely covered in blood. It's so awesome, i felt so good.

godhandiscen said:

Absolutely not. Not only is this one more diverse, the environments are much more impressive and "immersive".

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
godhandiscen said:

Nah, even the caves in GoW2 looks good. At one point, when you're climbing down this long slope, you see this huge underground lake with that yellow stuff and it's stretching out really far. I rarely get "amazed" by games but that shit right there looked great.

I definitely enjoyed the GoW2 SP campaign more than the first. Sure, I'd like to have seen more cities and less caves, but overall the enviroments still looked great. The only area I got bored during was when you've reached the whole Nexus-thing.

The vehicle section wasn't that good though, just like in the first GoW.

Shins

Banned
Dax01 said:
people quitting is a real problem. I'm playing a game right now 5 v 2. EG, you really need to offer some sort of penalty for quitting.
If being sent back to the dashboard to quit isn't enough of a deterrent, I'm not sure what will be. I've chuffed it out in some groin-grabbingly laggy matches because I'm not looking for that hassle.

Keikoku

Banned

I usually hate caves, but the ones in Gears 2 are just fucking amazing in terms of graphics, level-design and artistic direction.

EDIT : the photo mode sucks. You can only use it in MP, and the quality of the pictures is terrible.

Costanza

Banned
Shins said:
If being sent back to the dashboard to quit isn't enough of a deterrent, I'm not sure what will be. I've chuffed it out in some groin-grabbingly laggy matches because I'm not looking for that hassle.
You don't have to quit out to the dashboard. Just sign out of XBL and it'll kick you back to the menu.

Shins

Banned
What a stunning profile for Dom

Costanza said:
You don't have to quit out to the dashboard. Just sign out of XBL and it'll kick you back to the menu.
Well there you go.

You don't get any experience if you quit out though, I don't believe? What other penalty can you really put in place? Its not as if Epic knows when you "had to" quit and when you were just being a poor sport.

edit: also, signing out of XBL would still suck, because you'd have to set up your party all over again. Still not worth it.

Costanza

Banned
Shins said:
edit: also, signing out of XBL would still suck, because you'd have to set up your party all over again. Still not worth it.
It's better than being stuck in a laggy unplayable game for 15-20 minutes.

Timan

Developer
How do you pick what difficulty horde is on? Seems we can never get past 5-6 (public matches).

Everyone just runs off instead of staying in 1 spot.

Shins

Banned
Timan said:
Everyone just runs off instead of staying in 1 spot.
Won't make it anywhere fast doing that. Pick a position, fortify it, and pray that the Bloodmounts don't smell your fear.

web01

Those complaining about matchmaking make a party of 5 first after that it only takes 10 seconds to 1 minute at the most to find a game.

Shins

Banned
Did Aladuf tell you about his idea for getting further in Blood Drive? Instead of holing up in the spawn room, he thinks we might get further to split our forces between spawn and the little room on the other side of the stairs where the Gorgon is. If we could put down boom shields to block both entrances, it might split up enemy fire between the two groups.

Divide and conquer GD

Flunkie

Banned
I was kind of thinking that, but I never got around to mentioning it because I wasn't sure if that would be so easy. It would be a lot harder to set up two separate shields with two separate groups than it is with everyone contributing. We struggle to get one shield as-is.

Top Bottom