• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

jdub03

Dark FaZe said:
Not far in the campaign but man its so much better than Gears 1 for me so far on that front. The game is just SEXY. The graphics are unreal at some parts and weight and pop of the weapons is just incredibly slick.

Pun intended...:D

Lkr

h3ro said:
Talk about trial by fire... :lol

First thing I did after putting the disc in was switch my controller settings to inverted, followed by going into the GAF room and getting my ass handed to me...
Oh i was there :D

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Pimpbaa said:
You know what I hate about the GoW series. It's a total fucking sausage fest! Come on! No female soldiers at all?

much like the locust females, the human females in the gears universe just complicate and confuse the players, hence why you only see a couple of both in each of the games

See

Yay! Just got my COG tags for my Gears 2 pre-order... I must admit, it looked better when they were promoting it.

P1000346.jpg
P1000347.jpg

I took a photo, but it wouldn't upload for some reason, anyone else had the same problem? And Matchmaking took along time, but other than that, I had a blast playing that one game, even though we lost the match. Ah sigh.. I have to wait two more weeks to play online :(

Okay I just messed around with Port Forwarding options to make sure that the proper ports were open and it's looking like it's going to work.

EDIT: It's found all players for my team yet now seems to be taking forever to find an opposing team. Grrr.
EDIT 2: Finally works. Thank tha lawd.

Pimpbaa

DopeyFish said:
much like the locust females, the human females in the gears universe just complicate and confuse the players, hence why you only see a couple of both in each of the games

Complicate and confuse the players? The humans and the locusts both have the same body type it seems. It's confusing already. Having some women fighting would add some much needed variety.

Beat the game tonight and then played Horde for the first time. Wow. Horde is fantastic. We got to wave 35 and it was non-stop fun. Much better than the campaign, and it really pushes GoW2 over the first one, imo. I've never played anything quite like it, and I am looking forward to more.

Struct09

Finished the campaign on hardcore tonight. The only negative thing I can say about the campaign is that some of the vehicle sections were clunky. Other than that, pure awesomeness.

I haven't even got to try Horde or any online multiplayer yet, can't wait to dig into the game more.

Ramirez

The multiplayer in this game is SO much better than the first. The only negatives I can think of are the chainsaw & how smoke grenades knock you down. We played a game of Annex on Mansion a minute ago that was basically chucking nades & chainsawing guys, it was pretty lame. Hammerburst for president!

Also do not see why people keep calling the shotgun useless, it's perfectly fine.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ramirez said:
The multiplayer in this game is SO much better than the first. The only negatives I can think of are the chainsaw & how smoke grenades knock you down. We played a game of Annex on Mansion a minute ago that was basically chucking nades & chainsawing guys, it was pretty lame. Hammerburst for president!

Also do not see why people keep calling the shotgun useless, it's perfectly fine.
I actually love that. It makes smoke grenades not fucking useless now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
NameGenerated said:
I actually love that. It makes smoke grenades not fucking useless now.

Annex especially gets bombarded with smoke nade spam all over the capture points. :lol

Ramirez said:

I agree besides the fact that people spam mortar and hammer of dawn for King of the Hill.

Hootie

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I just read the 7 Eleven sells games.

Is this fucking true???!!

In America of course, I'm from Australia, but read about it on 1UP. This can't be for real can it?

Yeah they do. I think they sell iPods at 7-11s in Japan as well :lol

Ramirez said:
It sucks in objective games.

But it's such a wonderful concept in meatflag. When not decide the winners on the criteria of who'll put up with playing pointless shit for longest rather than who has the most skill? Why it's the kind of audience that only titles like Bubsy 3D rewarded previously.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
:lol :lol :lol

Well funny enough, off the cusp of the boat glitch I experienced earlier, this was another funny one a minute or two after the "Hive: No Turning Back" title screen. It's while you're on the lift. This happened after I shot the second Reaver down while holding the chaingun. Just kinda...magically clipped through the lift and started falling...and falling...and falling...

Didn't use a Gameshark or nothin'! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3SO8lh7bBk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s6LNUOWq_E

(I find the second one more entertaining.)

Flunkie

Banned
h3ro said:
Talk about trial by fire... :lol

First thing I did after putting the disc in was switch my controller settings to inverted, followed by going into the GAF room and getting my ass handed to me...
You like those torque bows? ;)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
:lol

Submission on Ruins is glitched, you can knock the flag into the imulsion and he keeps falling and getting up, it's impossible to get him after that and thus the match won't end.

Pimpbaa said:
Complicate and confuse the players? The humans and the locusts both have the same body type it seems. It's confusing already. Having some women fighting would add some much needed variety.
A female COG would have a clit the size of a bowling pin. Do not want.

unomas

Banned
The shotgun was a skill weapon, much more of a skill weapon than the hammer of dawn or boomshot. I hear lots of complaining about it and other things I'd expect a patch within a month.

anyway I can change the difficulty to normal from hardcore like in gow1? Im pretty much at the end and getting my ass handed, just want to finish up the game.

Dirtbag

Ramirez said:
Sort of agree. I don't mind the smoke grenades as much, but the chainsawing is really out of hand. Its one of the corniest things I've ever seen. I think the last game we played we lost entirely to chainsaw kills because we had a full team of hammerburst, and basically got cut down all game long.

The shotgun is the most inconsistent thing I've ever used. I'm sorry but a shotgun should beat the chainsaw in every situation, yet it doesn't. The chainsaw to me should be an ambush weapon and the rare off chance it turns into a chainsaw duel. But as it stands, the chainsaw pretty much dominates all, its way too hard to knock someone out of a chainsaw charge, stopping power and all. Major oversight, not enjoying it, and will gladly return to halo once my friends list migrates back.
Host shotgun maybe, but I can't figure it out. Sometimes it does tons of damage, sometimes its totally useless to me. Maybe its effectiveness is a reflection of my connection's quality, but I couldnt really say, other then I can't wait to be rid of it.

As someone who played the first Gears online for about 2 months before returning to Halo 2... don't write-off my dislike of the nerfed shotgun as some nostalgic gears 1 player. When I make claims that the shotgun sucks (and I do think it's the worst weapon in the game hands down), I really mean it. I'd rather shoot pistols then have a shotgun in my hands.

Flunkie

Banned
Dirtbag said:
Host shotgun maybe, but I can't figure it out. Sometimes it does tons of damage, sometimes its totally useless to me. Maybe its effectiveness is a reflection of my connection's quality, but I couldnt really say, other then I can't wait to be rid of it.

As someone who played the first Gears online for about 2 months before returning to Halo 2... don't write-off my dislike of the nerfed shotgun as some nostalgic gears 1 player. When I make claims that the shotgun sucks (and I do think it's the worst weapon in the game hands down), I really mean it. I'd rather shoot pistols then have a shotgun in my hands.
Protip: Aim.

Big-E

Finished up to Act 5 on Insane. It took me a fucking hour to beat the part right before you meet you know who in the Palace where you and Dom take alternate paths. Every fucking time Cole would charge in against maulers and get fucking destroyed and I could never save his fucking ass. Then just as the room was about to clear a mauler pushed Cole off the fucking ledge and he died. For Gears 3 Epic, please don't make it so we have to save the idiot AI.

vhfive

why does matchmaking take so long
also why do i suck real bad at multiplayer

EDIT i should say that im really liking the campaign so far (on act 4)

Struct09

Relieved to see that I'm not the only one having issues with matchmaking. I thought my internet connection was bad.

Hope they fix that soon :(

Aladuf

Banned
Papercuts said:
Annex especially gets bombarded with smoke nade spam all over the capture points. :lol
That and whenever you play a game on Blood Drive, people all just seem to launch their smokes into the middle area. I can't lie, I kinda love it. :lol

Flunkie

Banned
Aladuf said:
That and whenever you play a game on Blood Drive, people all just seem to launch their smokes into the middle area. I can't lie, I kinda love it. :lol
But not when you get smoked when going for snipes/torque then shottied. ;)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I just finished the campaign on Hardcore, and I didn't like it. I don't have memories of doing anything really special in this game. Yes, it had moments, but overall, it was boring. In the end I was just dragging myself to finish it. I remember loving GeOW1 SP, but not this one. Also, what happened after the credits was so lame. I think I really hated some parts with passion. I will definitely not play the SP ever again. Now, I can finally play Horde and Versus MP at peace. Don't get me wrong, I like the game in overall, but I just disliked the SP campaign.

Aladuf

Banned
Flunkie said:
But not when you get smoked when going for snipes/torque then shottied. ;)
That hasn't happened once to me yet. I guess it helps that I toss my smoke early to keep people off of me.

eso76

just finished campaign.

The first few chapters did nothing for me, i found the graphics to be unattractive and dull and the gameplay to rely too much on mini-games with gimmicky mechanics.
But damn, does everyhing pick up as you progress. It's amazing the way the game keeps throwing new stuff at you until the end, and some of the graphics in the latter chapters are unbelievable.

negatives are
Found it easier than gow1, maybe a bit too easy.
And
final boss was...uh...i would have liked to actually have to fight that thing. Oh, and thanks for showing us the penultimate chapter at GDC, guys ! and for telling us what happens in the last ! what were the guys at epic thinking ?
oh well, it's not like the game isn't full of surprises anyway.
Some of the vehicle sections are rather clunky

Top Bottom