• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

WrikaWrek

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
When I first saw Tai, he reminded me of one of Crackdown cops.

Really?

The way i see it, the Gears Squad is a bit modeled after Predator 1. Tai is the spiritual dude with the big knife.

tedtropy said:
I imagine it's already been mentioned a time or two but the randomly getting stuck during parts of the
boat boss worm battle
is getting a tad annoying. It's happened a time or two now and wound up getting me killed. Marcus just gets stuck/clips through part if it and I'm basically frozen in place. Whee!
You're not the only one. It happened in my first playthrough as well.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
WrikaWrek said:
Wait for your brother.

Playing Gears 2 for the 1st time in cop with another first timer is some first time getting laid kind of shit.

Don't play on normal btw.

Casual?

alterno69

Banned
I experienced 0 bugs on my first play trough the game by myself, i'm gonna go coop on insane starting today maybe, hopefully i won't run into any of that shit either.

So, has Cliffy been in here yet?

They gonna fix Multiplayer? Horse is fine, but the other stuff is a write off right now. Tried twice to play in matchmaking with no luck. Given up now, and I just play against bots.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Tried some horde mode on insane, holy shit that thing is hard. Especially with only 4 guys. Didn't stick with it too long but we didn't make it to wave 10.

to get the wave 50 achievement I need to do it from wave 1-50? really? thats a big effort and huge time sink, especially if you want to do it on a man's difficulty level :D

It sounds like we may need to get organised and create a really determined group of 4-5 of us who REALLY want to crack horde on normal/hardcore and are prepared to sit down and do it all without quitting. Kind of annoyed that I missed the initial achievement runs and quite a few people have those now and don't have the urge to do it again on a higher difficulty! I don't have it at all and I want to get it on at least normal goddamnit.

J-Rzez

chespace said:
:lol Fucking transparent.

I didn't like the first Gears controls/gameplay as it was too slow/sluggish with the style of shooting that's going on aka bulletsponges. I didn't like the cover glitches either. So far, it feels the same, which I'm not a fan of. The levels and fire-fights feel more catered to that style this time at least, which is probably helping me enjoy it more this time around. I won't be touching MP most likely though.

I would take offense to that, but coming from Mr. Window himself, it really just rolls off ya. Never forget, PDZ.

WrikaWrek said:
Love how he and Hoffman always pop their heads in these threads, and always leave that "Good, but" kind of post, that always read like bitter stealth trolling.

It's always the same.

Just like how you have your usual song and dance, but I don't care to comment on? If it makes you feel better, I'm enjoying Gears 2 more than I enjoyed what little I played of R2 (quality game, but lacks finesse). First gears campaign sucked to me, but this one has some very interesting layouts with fire fights. The story so far is infinite x's more interesting as well.

The games vastly improved even by just it's SP campaign so far. Sorry I don't share the "Gears 2 is too good" comment!

Knowing your usual schemes, your comment bothers me as much as Che's.

Gears of War 1 Multiplayer was broken? REALLY?

This game has a shotgun that doesn't work, matchmaking that doesn't work and some of the worst lag ON THE PLANET that you have to GO BACK TO THE DASHBOARD to get out of.

DevelopmentArrested said:

This game has a shotgun that doesn't work, matchmaking that doesn't work and some of the worst lag ON THE PLANET that you have to GO BACK TO THE DASHBOARD to get out of.

That just means Gears 2 is MORE broken.

Hey GAF, help me preeze:

Tried to finally pop my Gears 2 Online cherry but it says "Cannot connect firewall on strict" blah blah blah when I tried to host a match and trying to look for a public match resulted in an infinite loop of looking for matches.
Keep in mind I've played hundreds of Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3 matches before this, I can login to XBL, and all the other stuff. So this is clearly Epic's picky ass standards or schumpin, I do declare...

It gets even worse, I have a Netgear Router (has no reset button so cannot reset) so I wanted to manually config through the IP address 192.whatever, and it prompted me for my password but honestly I have no idea what it was.

I tried the default "admin" and "password" but that wasn't right. I went through my usual password combos, yet nothing worked. I've had this router for like 3 years and looked through my computer desks and couldn't find a thing.

So basically I have no way to manually edit my piece of shit firewall on my piece of shit router. Everything is covered in shit.

HALP PLZ!

Flunkie

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
So, has Cliffy been in here yet?

They gonna fix Multiplayer? Horse is fine, but the other stuff is a write off right now. Tried twice to play in matchmaking with no luck. Given up now, and I just play against bots.
There's HORSE?! I gotta go play that pronto!

dagZ

Buckethead said:
Hey GAF, help me preeze:

Tried to finally pop my Gears 2 Online cherry but it says "Cannot connect firewall on strict" blah blah blah when I tried to host a match and trying to look for a public match resulted in an infinite loop of looking for matches.
Keep in mind I've played hundreds of Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3 matches before this, I can login to XBL, and all the other stuff. So this is clearly Epic's picky ass standards or schumpin, I do declare...

It gets even worse, I have a Netgear Router (has no reset button so cannot reset) so I wanted to manually config through the IP address 192.whatever, and it prompted me for my password but honestly I have no idea what it was.

I tried the default "admin" and "password" but that wasn't right. I went through my usual password combos, yet nothing worked. I've had this router for like 3 years and looked through my computer desks and couldn't find a thing.

So basically I have no way to manually edit my piece of shit firewall on my piece of shit router. Everything is covered in shit.

HALP PLZ!

www.portforward.com

zaidr

bigdaddygamebot said:
ARRRGH!

Getting connected to a group in multiplayer is SUCH a fuckin' chore.

Dude! Add as many gaffers as possible. Start with me! GT: Shihab

It works so much better than waiting in matchmaking.

GaryD

tedtropy said:
I imagine it's already been mentioned a time or two but the randomly getting stuck during parts of the
boat boss worm battle
is getting a tad annoying. It's happened a time or two now and wound up getting me killed. Marcus just gets stuck/clips through part if it and I'm basically frozen in place. Whee!

Yeah it's happened to me and my mate twice

watership

WrikaWrek said:
Love how he and Hoffman always pop their heads in these threads, and always leave that "Good, but" kind of post, that always read like bitter stealth trolling.

They're the FOXNEWS of trolling. "Some poeple say..." "It's been said..."

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
What tedtropy posted happened to me and my buddy too. It's by far the buggiest part of the game. He was floating in the air for several tries, we had to redo that battle a bunch of times

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow, people actually think the first Gears campaign is better than this? Are they fucking insane?

J-Rzez

Brandon F said:
Wow, people actually think the first Gears campaign is better than this? Are they fucking insane?

Not even close. The first one was horrid. This one is infinitely better, very-very quality.

watership said:
They're the FOXNEWS of trolling. "Some poeple say..." "It's been said..."

Lol. As you can tell, I'm real "bitter" like he said, since I'm really enjoying this one so far. What's there to be bitter about anyways if I'm playing it? Oh, and I say things usually based my experience, not a mis-mash of things other people say to make a statement like Fox :p

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
WrikaWrek said:
Well i guess on casual it's just a tech demo. Tech demos normally aren't that fun.

What I'm surprised about is that he was insinuating that nothing less than Hardcore is worth playing. Casual being too easy is probably a valid argument but saying that Normal isn't worth it? C'mon. I'm playing through it on Normal to begin with and it's challenging enough to be interesting but not frustrating.

Baker

Banned
Wario64 said:
Insane horde tonight? Not sure if I'll be available but that sounds interesting...

I should be starting one up in about 10 minutes.

There was a lot of interest this afternoon, but out of all the people I added, only one of them is online and they're playing COD, hehe.

* Oh, and if someone else with awesome internets wants to host, that's cool too. I'm not trying to bogart the fun or anything.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Danthrax said:
What I'm surprised about is that he was insinuating that nothing less than Hardcore is worth playing. Casual being too easy is probably a valid argument but saying that Normal isn't worth it? C'mon. I'm playing through it on Normal to begin with and it's challenging enough to be interesting but not frustrating.

In Co Op you have to bump up the difficulty.

Teknoman

Im ready for some more crazy action. L4D PC demo kept crashing on me at random points (even though my PC is more than capable of running it nicely). I guess it could just be demo issues and whatnot. Can run Fallout 3 full detail with a decent framerate and never crashes.

Baker

Banned
Teknoman said:
Im ready for some more crazy action. L4D PC demo kept crashing on me at random points (even though my PC is more than capable of running it nicely). I guess it could just be demo issues and whatnot. Can run Fallout 3 full detail with a decent framerate and never crashes.

Got it set up. Me (Forensick) and Space A Cobra are ready for actions.

Pimpbaa

You mean fixed. It was broken in first game (as in overpowered).

Aladuf

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Definitely, the shotty was a broken ass weapon in Gears 1. It feels so much better now actually (for me), the shots require some precision and a little bit of planning if you want the kill, no more mindless firing just hoping to get someone.

Alright, I found the teeny tiny bump that they call a button hidden behind a metallic grid in my Router, so I reset to factory settings which means that I now have access to manually config my settings.

But I still can't play multiplayer. It says "Remote parties restarted the matchmaking process" and is basically in an infinite loop.

Pimpbaa said:

That's fine. And in Gears 2, it's completely useless. A lancing player can get shotgunned three times IN THE FACE at close distance while running towards you and still get off a lance kill without getting even stunned or stopped AT ALL.

That's fine. And in Gears 2, it's completely useless. A lancing player can get shotgunned three times IN THE FACE at close distance while running towards you and still get off a lance kill without getting even stunned or stopped AT ALL.
It isn't completely useless.

You need to chillax, buddy.

Not far in the campaign but man its so much better than Gears 1 for me so far on that front. The game is just SEXY. The graphics are unreal at some parts and weight and pop of the weapons is just incredibly slick.

FrankT

Danthrax said:
Ah. I would think the game would recognize there's a second player and consequently make it harder.

Well, it allows for player specific levels which is nice as you can have your setting and your buddy can have there own.

h3ro

Talk about trial by fire... :lol

First thing I did after putting the disc in was switch my controller settings to inverted, followed by going into the GAF room and getting my ass handed to me...

Top Bottom