• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

charsace

BigJiantRobut said:
I'd love to see a breakdown of what graphical changes happen when you play splitscreen. There's some obvious shadow distance changes but it looks damn good still, I'm really interested in how much is different.
I don't know about gameplay, but graphically everything else looks better. I was playing GOW2 last night and the difference between it and GOW3 graphically is big. Much better lighting, better looking models, better texture work just better everything in regards to graphics.

What am I doing wrong?
I'm at the start where I have to shoot the big ass Leviathan monster. I get to the 3rd part where Braid & Cole aren't ready & I have to push him off again. I'm shooting non-stop, with only breaks when my Gatling gun overheats, but I keep getting the game over screen on that part.
I did this 3 times & died on all 3 tries.

daedalius

Played some horde last night (waiting to do campaign with wife), man so good.

Only thing that pisses me off is the fact I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to delete the GoW3 beta files, but I did, and now I has no medal :(

charsace said:
I don't know about gameplay, but graphically everything else looks better. I was playing GOW2 last night and the difference between it and GOW3 graphically is big. Much better lighting, better looking models, better texture work just better everything in regards to graphics.

Shadows are no longer a shade of purple!

charsace said:
just better everything in regards to graphics.
Except image quality. Gears 3 has no anti-aliasing, whereas Gears 2 looks much cleaner.

Not that I personally care, I prefer a few jaggies and gloriously stable 30fps rather than the variable catastrophe that was Gears 2's framerate, clean or not.

Gears 3's lighting is simply beautiful, especially the shadows.

See You Next Wednesday said:
What am I doing wrong?
Silly question but are you shooting it in the eyes? I think that's the key.

JaggedSac

Picking up my copy at lunch and then stomping skulls after work. Cannot wait. Is there a website with multiplayer stats for the game and stuff? Like Bungie.net?

_dementia said:
What's the consensus on installed vs DVD drive?

IIRC Bayonetta and other games actually run shittier off the Hard Drive

yep...found this out after I bought the GoD version of Bayo. I have always played it installed though, so I don't know what the differences are.

_dementia said:
What's the consensus on installed vs DVD drive?

IIRC Bayonetta and other games actually run shittier off the Hard Drive
That issue was with legacy games (which were doing additional caching routines that didn't need to be done once installed). Newer games should all support detecting HDD installation and optimizing loads for that.

Hixx

Is there anyway to like... appear offline on XBL, yet not actually be disconnected? I feel bad ignoring invites from the gaf tags because I have an obsession with games to complete the campaign before even having a look at multiplayer menus.

Xun

If someones completed this already I don't mind being spoiled.

I liked the story of the other two games, but I doubt I'll play this anytime soon.

Ken

HixxSAFC said:
Is there anyway to like... appear offline on XBL, yet not actually be disconnected? I feel bad ignoring invites from the gaf tags because I have an obsession with games to complete the campaign before even having a look at multiplayer menus.
Yes.

Reclaimer

HixxSAFC said:
Ken said:
So very helpful there Ken. ;)

Hit your guide, preferences, online status. You can choose "appear offline" there.

I still have a savage Kantus and a commando Dom to trade. I'll part with both for a grenadier!

I'm so upset with myself, I contemplated all day yesterday at work about purchasing this and I decided to wait until I got home and missed out on Release Day Delivery shipping :( I did still at least get the $20 Credit

Game's looking fantastic and heaps better than Gears 2 (even though I loved it)

ShaneB

So glad I got this early and played the campaign over the weekend. Fantastic seeing everyone's reactions and impressions for the campaign with no worries of spoilers.

It's a hell of a ride, enjoy it!

Will be great seeing the explosion of players online. The discrepancy for players on TDM vs the other modes was huge, want to see if that continues now that it's out for everyone.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-PXG- said:
Just finished steamrolling kids with Gaffers. Dat Digger quad on Trenches. lol

ggs

My K/D is 3.3

Still rolling retro gnasher?

Waiting on amazon for my epic edition right now. Gonna go to the gym to burn some time.

Ricker

Did everyone get the stickers to go with the 2 page manual or is it simly pre order stuff? can`t start it now but hopefully I can start the game from scratch with a 4 player co-op run later tonight.

So how doe co-op work? Does one start a save and friends then drop in and out or do you have to finish with same person\set of people?

Also, I chose to do normal campaign. Is arcade any different?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
A27 Tawpgun said:
Wait there's a retro gnasher now?

Wuuuut?

Also, how is the SOS and Retro Lancer now? Nerfed to hell I'm hoping?

Retro and gnasher.

Retro has a big kick increase and SOS doesn't down undamaged anymore.

KageMaru

Played co-op until 3am, was pretty good. No longer can you stay behind your chest high wall and just pick enemies off at your leisure. Now the lambent enemies attack in different ways and do a decent job at keeping you on your toes. Happy the friendly AI is much improved since there were a few firefights where we were getting our asses handed to us. Not sure how I feel about the game carrying on even after both players are downed, allowing the AI to revive you, since it makes the game easier. Will have to wait and see if the game continues to hold your hand in later Acts.

Tawpgun

Alienshogun said:
Retro and gnasher.

Retro has a big kick increase and SOS doesn't down undamaged anymore.
So it can't laser hipfire anymore?

And does the SOS still disintegrate people at its intended range? I also heard it got lights or something.

LEGGZZZZ

So Cliff can you no longer join Horde Matches in Progress through Regular matchmaking? If so that shit is extremely disappointing, and needs to be changed back to the Gears of War 2 social matchmaking style. I loved knowing that if someone left, there was a chance someone else would join to help me finish. now if a player leaves, your pretty much screwed, unless someone from a friends list joins you. Matchmaking also takes forever when searching for a horde match :/

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-PXG- said:
Nope.

Hammy/Gnasher

Perfect

Seriously. It's amazing.

Yeah, watchin' a buddies stream. All the rifles are pretty fucking beast, gonna be hard to decide which to use. I've got a monster trigger finger though.

A27 Tawpgun said:
So it can't laser hipfire anymore?

And does the SOS still disintegrate people at its intended range? I also heard it got lights or something.

Nope, and yes.

Blueblur1

GodfatherX said:
Amazon gave me my $20 credit and character code before I even got my game, bravo
Same here. Already redeemed my code so I'm good to go as soon as I get home. Dying to get out of work today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom