• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakara

Arjen said:
Movement is very important, watch some good players online and see how thy move.
Learn the location of the powerweapons on the maps, that's where they action will be.

Also, check out some Youtube videos, like this Gears of War lessons series:

Basics and Mechanics

Positioning

And there's more if you check out their channel, like Intro to TDM, Weapon Choice, Wall bouncing, etc.

I'd love to see a breakdown of what graphical changes happen when you play splitscreen. There's some obvious shadow distance changes but it looks damn good still, I'm really interested in how much is different.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It's officially Gears Day - the day you've all been waiting impatiently for.

And you're all in for a treat with the Campaign, trust me.

ZROCOOL said:
Not on this end which is weird

Someone mentioned that you have to exit and go back into the game again and they'll show up - mine did right away though.

The_Monk

leng jai said:
Any tips for a new player?

I didn't play 1 or 2 in MP at all and it feels a lot different from most shooters.

I'm in the same position. That's why I'm still wondering if I get the game or not, I don't know how's the learning curve towards multiplayer and I don't want to enter a game to die only.

Watching a stream now to get some ideas, people use a lot of covers and roll a lot too. (and this guy's playing very well)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
My only gripe with the game so far is matchmaking looks for matches in my location which I assume is tied to my Gamertag. Since I created my tag when I was in UK and now live in NZ it's taking forever to find a match. More so when it's testing the connection to the game/lobby, it ends up timing out and searching again. Spose only option will be to form a party with people in NZ/Aus.

Aside from that though, everything else is fine and dandy.

Raxus

The_Monk said:
I'm in the same position. That's why I'm still wondering if I get the game or not, I don't know how's the learning curve towards multiplayer and I don't want to enter a game to die only.

Watching a stream now to get some ideas, people use a lot of covers and roll a lot too. (and this guy's playing very well)
There is a basics posted on this page and the all important wallbounce and Gnasher/SOS tutorial a ways back. I am too lazy to repost the link.

Daigoro

Raxus said:
There is a basics posted on this page and the all important wallbounce and Gnasher/SOS tutorial a ways back. I am too lazy to repost the link.

this type of stuff should be in the OP.

panda21

hmm

i loved the MP in the first game but never played the second. i kind of want to get it, except the levels all look fairly bright whereas i really liked the dark/wet original gears maps, like that one that was a giant stairway, and the house one. are those in this as well?

The_Monk

Raxus said:

Yeah I saw it, but I guess the real thing should be to try it myself. Thanks, sir. ;)

OrangeOak

Gen X said:
My only gripe with the game so far is matchmaking looks for matches in my location which I assume is tied to my Gamertag. Since I created my tag when I was in UK and now live in NZ it's taking forever to find a match. More so when it's testing the connection to the game/lobby, it ends up timing out and searching again. Spose only option will be to form a party with people in NZ/Aus.

What is your locale set to in dashboard ?

x Maiku x

Gen X said:

Was it like that for you in the beta? The beta seemed to fix all of those issues from Gears 2 for me. Gears 2 had that problem but that was much, much worse to the point where it would never find anyone unless they were in the same area of the world. Even the beta really seemed to fix that and work naturally like Reach or Halo 3.

JDeluis said:
The majority of the voice cast. Was really looking forward to talking to Calvin. ;)
3180552c.jpg
Anybody know who voices who? :)

abracadaver

blurredvision said:
Anybody played in 3D yet? I'd like to hear impressions before firing it up myself tonight after work.

Ive heard from multiple people that the 3D effect is amazing. The resolution is lower though

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
ResidentDante said:
Anybody know who voices who? :)

Top left: Marcus, don't know who the other two are unfortunately.
Bottom Row: The whole Carmine Family, Anya and The Cole Train baby!

Plasmid said:
Marcus, Baird, dom, carmine?, anya, cole.

Definitely not Dom's VA.

Willeth

Skilotonn said:
Definitely not Dom's VA.

EDIT: Maybe it could be him, he looks different from how I remembered him looking like though.
It's not. Carlos Ferro was at the London event and looks nothing like that dude.

MjFrancis

The install is taking what seems like FOREVER. Not really, though - I didn't even attend a midnight launch. I wasn't about to wake up at an hour earlier than I normally have to. I don't want to pass out at six in the evening, lol.

Kydd BlaZe

Skilotonn said:
Top left: Marcus, don't know who the other two are unfortunately.
Bottom Row: The whole Carmine Family, Anya and The Cole Train baby!

Definitely not Dom's VA.

EDIT: Maybe it could be him, he looks different from how I remembered him looking like though.
Dude with the glasses does the voice over for Baird.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Willeth said:
It's not. Carlos Ferro was at the London event and looks nothing like that dude.

Good, thought I was going crazy for a second.

Kydd BlaZe said:
Dude with the glasses does the voice over for Baird.

Yeah I looked him up after Plasmid's post, first time I've seen the guy, and just when I thought I was already surprised enough by voice actors looking totally different than what they sound like - very impressed!

h3ro

MattyH said:
do you have to buy the season pass day one to get the weapon skins?

No, the Season Pass is for the content DLC (Maps/Campaign, etc). You can buy individual or the package of skins straight up from the marketplace.

malfcn

I forgot about Xbox Rewards. There are no purchase rewards this month (well, avatar stuff). Waiting a month or two could net your a small refund.

Mohonky

This game seems like it was designed with a big home theatre in mind. Seriously, add a tactile transducer (aka bass shaker, i am using an Earthquake Q10B w/ earthquake x300r amp driven off paradigm seismic 110) in a small bedroom. Insanely powerful combo, you can really feel the deep gutteral sounds punching through the room.

Easily the best game for it. Other games have been ok but its very tight in this one. Makes for a hell of a ride.

Marco1

Arrived this morning and had 30 minutes in the multiplayer.
Amazing what epic have squeezed out of the 360 but my gold skins did not unlock for playing multiplayer.
Bought the LE and it's definately one of the worst LEs I have ever bought, wish I bought standard now.

leng jai

Mohonky said:
This game seems like it was designed with a big home theatre in mind. Seriously, add a tactile transducer (aka bass shaker, i am using an Earthquake Q10B w/ earthquake x300r amp driven off paradigm seismic 110) in a small bedroom. Insanely powerful combo, you can really feel the deep gutteral sounds punching through the room.

Easily the best game for it. Other games have been ok but its very tight in this one. Makes for a hell of a ride.

The bass is good but wouldn't say its the best. Lots of contenders.

Oh man, 6 hours later and I'm only on Act 3 chapter 1... In Co-op! I can usually breeze through Campaigns, but this one's different. Such a good Campaign so far.

J2d

I never checked out the beta thread so is the mp solid this time? Fast matchmaking and less lag than previous installments? Can you still tag walls with grenades and does bullets slow you down?

Jrmint

Do the skins you unlock for achievements in Gears 1 and 2 unlock automatically, or is there something specific you need to do?

Won't be able to pick it up until after work, fucking BB -.-.

Jrmint said:
Do the skins you unlock for achievements in Gears 1 and 2 unlock automatically, or is there something specific you need to do?

I know that feel bro. I was legitimately sick last week so I can't even call in.

Skilotonn said:
Yeah I looked him up after Plasmid's post, first time I've seen the guy, and just when I thought I was already surprised enough by voice actors looking totally different than what they sound like - very impressed!
Me too!

abracadaver

Jrmint said:

They unlock automatically when you start the game after you press start to get in the menu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom