• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
FedEx just dropped off my Amazon order. I'm really impressed with the Epic edition, the quality of everything is above that of most collector's editions that I've bought.

2a8Ab.jpg

cackhyena

GodfatherX said:
Amazon gave me my $20 credit and character code before I even got my game, bravo
They have never not done this for me. When I check my email day of, I get several emails. Shipping, promo code and credit. Amazon never fails for me in this regard.

LEGGZZZZ said:
So Cliff can you no longer join Horde Matches in Progress through Regular matchmaking? If so that shit is extremely disappointing, and needs to be changed back to the Gears of War 2 social matchmaking style. I loved knowing that if someone left, there was a chance someone else would join to help me finish. now if a player leaves, your pretty much screwed, unless someone from a friends list joins you. Matchmaking also takes forever when searching for a horde match :/
I was wondering about this too. I played 2 games of Horde today and I had to wait for 4 other guys and start from wave 1.

The game went on and 1 guy left, but soon enough another guy joined in progress and took his place. I haven't been able to join a Horde game in progress though, have no idea how it's done...

EDIT: lol I just picked up incendiary nades as Marcus and went "WHO WANTS TOAST!" :D

FuttBuck said:
I'm so upset with myself, I contemplated all day yesterday at work about purchasing this and I decided to wait until I got home and missed out on Release Day Delivery shipping :( I did still at least get the $20 Credit

Game's looking fantastic and heaps better than Gears 2 (even though I loved it)

I pre-ordered from Amazon last November and I'm still not getting the game until tomorrow. Love Amazon but the release date shipping has been very unreliable.

pr0cs

All I know is this is going to be a long fucking day of work and daydreaming of gears3.
Doesn't help I only got a few hours of sleep due to midnight opening and gaming last night.

uncledonnie said:
I pre-ordered from Amazon last November and I'm still not getting the game until tomorrow. Love Amazon but the release date shipping has been very unreliable.

Yeah, just noticed on my order tracking that there is a delay in delivery. Good job Amazon.Even better is that there was no notice from them, so if I wasn't paying attention and checking up on it myself I'd be sitting here waiting for it.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
My disc is making my xbox (slim) very noisy while spinning, and vibrating my whole system, non of my other games do this, faulty disc maybe? it still works but I'm worried about it damaging my drive, do you think I have a valid reason for changing it?

Hixx

CrankyKong said:
God DAMN this is a good looking game.

Seriously. It actually manages to look better when there's tons of stuff going on too whereas most games seem to take a beating with the ugly stick when it kicks off.

lowrider007 said:
My disc is making my xbox (slim) very noisy while spinning, and vibrating my whole system, non of my other games do this, faulty disc maybe? it still works but I'm worried about it damaging my drive, do you think I have a valid reason for changing it?

did you install it? installed games with the new disc format spin for a little while on startup.

however, that sounds like a defective disc to me. i've never seen that happen on a slim (it'd happen to my old white 360 all the time though, just because it had to spin the disc so fast). unreal engine games are usually pretty high on disc access because of all the texture loading...

lowrider007

oddworld18 said:
did you install it? installed games with the new disc format spin for a little while on startup.

however, that sounds like a defective disc to me. i've never seen that happen on a slim (it'd happen to my old white 360 all the time though, just because it had to spin the disc so fast). unreal engine games are usually pretty high on disc access because of all the texture loading...

I stopped the installation half way through as it was making such a racket and I was worried about my drive, my system is out of warranty now, think I'll change the disk, luckily I purchased it from a local store.

Willeth

equil said:
I can't either. I'm level 12 and still no unlock.
They only check one a day for the criteria. It might be that you play in the first week and set the flag, and then the next day it checks it and gives you the unlock.

lowrider007 said:
That's just the way it is with some discs. It's not going to ruin your 360 during those 15-20 mins it's installing. I've had several discs making a lot of noise during installation, and my slim is just fine.

Marco1

Anabuhabkuss said:
Is the limited edition ($80) worth it? Feedback on the quality of extras? Gameplay-wise, what's there that's not available on the standard edition?
No just get the standard.
I wish I could exchange but I have already opened it.

Grisby

felipepl said:
So... for those who got the game, are the graphics really way better than Gears 2?

I don't know about way better but it is a noticeable upgrade. The lighting system is great.

It could run for best looking game of the year thats for sure.

-PXG-

I say go with the HB. Sure, the Lancer has a headshot damage modifier, but that is only useful in controlled/test situations. You have to remember, that both you and your opponent will be moving. Plus, your opponent will be shooting at you, along with his teammates. It's unlikely you'll get consistent headshots with the Lancer at medium or far range in a real match.

Because there is no extra headshot damage for the HB, you don't have to risk shooting heads to begin with. Such a small area is easy to miss. Instead, just aim for the body, where you're more likely to make contact, thus, do consistent damage and down people faster.

The Retro is out of the equation since it's on useful in close quarters situations. With that said, the only benefit to the Lancer is it's massive clip. Other than that, it has nothing. Go with the HB. It's fast, accurate and has incredible range.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
felipepl said:
So... for those who got the game, are the graphics really way better than Gears 2?

The new lighting and broader color palette absolutely make it look better. The effect-work on display is outstanding.

Dyno

I gots mah vanilla bean copy! Will only get to play a tiny bit tonight. By the time I take it online I will getting owned by Level 50 Rainbow Brite Cole Train but that's all good.

BRING IT!!!

Damn, so jealous of you guys who're playing right now. I'm sitting in my office waiting for UPS to deliver my SE. As soon as it comes in, out going home!

And in regards to Amazon, looks like they fucked up with the LEs the released for sale last week. I placed an order on Saturday morning and it has even begun to process yet and still shows Release Date Delivery for today. Bummer. At least I have SE on the way, but my wife & I will go split screen until Amazon corrects their mistake and I get our system link with two copies going.

Hmm... I might have to push for some sort of credit as compensation for their mistake.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Reluctant-Hero said:
Damn, so jealous of you guys who're playing right now. I'm sitting in my office waiting for UPS to deliver my SE. As soon as it comes in, out going home!

And in regards to Amazon, looks like they fucked up with the LEs the released for sale last week. I placed an order on Saturday morning and it has even begun to process yet and still shows Release Date Delivery for today. Bummer. At least I have SE on the way, but my wife & I will go split screen until Amazon corrects their mistake and I get our system link with two copies going.

Hmm... I might have to push for some sort of credit as compensation for their mistake.
20 more dollas, pleeeeeeeeeeeease!
[Halo:CEA for 5$ total~ lololol]

JambiBum

-PXG- said:
I say go with the HB. Sure, the Lancer has a headshot damage modifier, but that is only useful in controlled/test situations. You have to remember, that both you and your opponent will be moving. Plus, your opponent will be shooting at you, along with his teammates. It's unlikely you'll get consistent headshots with the Lancer at medium or far range in a real match.

Because there is no extra headshot damage for the HB, you don't have to risk shooting heads to begin with. Such a small area is easy to miss. Instead, just aim for the body, where you're more likely to make contact, thus, do consistent damage and down people faster.

The Retro is out of the equation since it's on useful in close quarters situations. With that said, the only benefit to the Lancer is it's massive clip. Other than that, it has nothing. Go with the HB. It's fast, accurate and has incredible range.
You going to be on any time soon? Waiting for all of my guys to wake up.

Brandon F said:
The new lighting and broader color palette absolutely make it look better. The effect-work on display is outstanding.

In-game effects are unbelievable: from explosions down to the dust the Locusts spread when emerging from underground, everything is really a sight to behold (btw, does anyone here have a gif of one of those moments?).

The work on alpha-textures is outstanding, and everything seems to be high-res too: smoke, dust, sand, fire, particles, etc.

And yes, the new lighting is what brings everything to new heights, along with a nice extra-hand of polish (textures are generally more detailed compared to gears 1/2).

ShaneB

Echoing those statements. In Gears 3, it's so much about the lighting. Despite the jokes of browns and greys, Gears 3 has some amazing vistas, and the lighting and shadows just everything so much life.

lowrider007

ha ha!, just changed my disk, new one is completely silent :), the old one must of been slightly of balance or something.

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Everyone playing this right now -- I hate you all. What an excruciatingly long work day this is going to be. :(
I hear that - I'm going to see if I can sneak out a little early around 4:30 to grab my copy and race home.

I somewhat regret going with the limited one, lacking in bonus stuff or a steelbook. Guess I should have gotten to a Futureshop for it instead.

On the other hand, the one thing I don't like about Gears of War 3 is that it's almost too good.

pr0cs

AlphaTwo00 said:
I somewhat regret going with the limited one, lacking in bonus stuff or a steelbook. Guess I should have gotten to a Futureshop for it instead.
got the steelbook at Futureshop last night, it's really nice, I wish more games had this option, I hate the cheap flimsy green cases these days.

Jhoan

I have yet to pick up my copy. I'm gonna go down to K-Mart in a few minutes. It's too bad I'm not gonna get on for several hours because I have homework to do.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
So, FedEx guy didn't have my gears, he had something for my dad.... Guess i'll be watching for a UPS truck instead.

Grumblegrungle such a tease, fedex Grumblegrumble

Seth Balmore said:
Do yourself a favor and get it. Pretend that Gears 2 never happened...

Yeah Gears 2 was a huge disappointment for me. Absolutely loved Gears 1, though. But after Gears 2, I just lost interest in the series. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom