• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
TouchMyBox said:
I'm just curious if there is anybody who is like me who quite liked Gears 1 and hated Gears 2 and if so, what do they think of Gears 3?

I loved Gears 1 & thought Gears 2 was a bit of a letdown, but the 3rd game is blowing me away.
It's so far, a huge improvement in the single player campaign!

Just picked it up, cannot wait. <3

EMgFhl.jpg

h3ro

Adam Blade said:
h3ro, you will buy the Epic Edition along with the Gears 360 bundle...

Know it in your heart, young Padawan...

I take call from home and rarely get called. My PGY-2s do my admission paperwork for me.

you have no idea how hard it was for me to stick to my regular edition. damn console was in my cart on Amazon and everything
:lol

Apoc87

Banned
smokeymicpot said:
Amazon is still giving the 20 dollar credit. Thinking about buying it still.
Go for it man, its a genuinely fun and explosive experience.

Also, I went ahead and redeemed my baird code. All that time spent fighting for him with best buy, I might as well give the little guy some playtime.

CliffyB

Playah
mickcenary said:
The Tribal skins make your guns look like watermelons. Fruit pwnage. All in all, I'm happy with the skins. They look especially nice when they suit the environment, i.e. Tribal on Sand Bar/Mercy, Desert Camo on Trenches, etc.

And yeah. This game is actually amazing; what it is, how it runs, how it looks... It's such an amazing package. It shits me to no end that all of my friends are preoccupied with MW3 and Fifa 12 just because Gears comes across as a bit left of centre. Then again, all of my friends are casual gamers.

WE WANT THEM TOO.

h3ro said:
I take call from home and rarely get called. My PGY-2s do my admission paperwork for me.

you have no idea how hard it was for me to stick to my regular edition. damn console was in my cart on Amazon and everything
:lol

... you suck.

I'm going to get owned next couple months, aren't I...

At least we only have to work 16 hours straight, what with the new regs and all. :p

This is some of the best multiplayer I've played on 360. WOW!

One question though - how can I set it so other players' voices come out of my headset instead of my speakers. Don't know if I need to set it in Gears or 360 dashboard.

This game is beautiful, will be picking it up for PC as well. Loving the campaign, the mini boss fight in the third Act, I loved every moment of it. Its addicting as hell.

Universaldamps

Neo Member
OG_Original Gamer said:
This game is beautiful, will be picking it up for PC as well. Loving the campaign, the mini boss fight in the third Act, I loved every moment of it. Its addicting as hell.

Pretty sure it's a 360 exclusive, else I'd get it on the PC too :-(

LEGGZZZZ

CliffyB, any update about drop in and out co-op during Horde 2.0? I keep joining matches starting at wave 1, and when randoms quit, no one else joins like Gears 2 Social matchmaking :/

JB1981

Think I'm playing against noobs because i'm playing so good right now lol. shotgun is working, lancer is just MOWING fools down. i'm on fire. this might be game of generation.

re: sp - there is a track that plays that reminds me a lot of the T2 soundtrack. Sounds awesome. Soundtrack has been quite good throughout.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Finally stepped into the multiplayer after beating Campaign again, now on my own account and with all collectibles.

Oh my goodness, I didn't realize how much I missed the beta till now - everything working oh so good, zero lag, people dying when they should, oh yes.

Steamrolling people, and ended the night going undefeated, even with two random teammates in every match. So I'm just sitting pretty with zero losses period in Gears 3.

Epic, I love you guys. My Xbox is now my Gears Box.

Oh, and I was beasting with the Hammerburst, and got some juicy headshots with the Longshot, including some nice no-scopes - I don't want to say too much about the Hammerburst being glorious because I actually want that headshot bonus back!

masterkajo said:
I have a question regarding ACT3 Chapter 2. Havn't played farther than that.

There is a short video when you go rescue Anya and Sam where a Locust rips off the arm of a man and beats him to with it... is that Carmine? I didn't pay too much attention to it because of 4 player coop and all the action going on. A simple YES or NO please!
Also, some tipps for the boss fight for 4 player coop on hardcore would be nice. We tried for about 2-3 hours and didn't make it. (Beat it on my first try on my own on Hardcore just now at my house... but I guess it is easier alone. Didn't take me more than 3 minutes.)

Thanks

The answer to your question is
is no. Sam even yells out "Jynx" when it happens - plus they'd give a little more attention to that for sure - that was just a regular COG Gear named Jynx.

And that's exactly the reason why I play every Campaign game solo first.

For tips I'd guess I can say that you and your friends should up the communication, teamwork, and work on the big enemies together with concentrated fire.

Holy shit

Has anyone else been playing on Gridlock and had
Mad World's piano melody play during the match?
I didn't play the beta so I dunno if that's old news, but it was totally bizarre and really cool.

Played first Gears match, team full of random Level 1s, I had 11 kills, next highest guy had 2.

Needless to say, I'm gonna start sending your FRs so I can keep myself sane. Luck out for "KoolAidShoto" if you see it.

JB1981

I think I'm going all 3rd person shooter multi this fall with a side of BF3. Gears, UC3 .. 3rd person shooter revolution

ShaneB

JB1981 said:
Think I'm playing against noobs because i'm playing so good right now lol. shotgun is working, lancer is just MOWING fools down. i'm on fire. this might be game of generation.

re: sp - there is a track that plays that reminds me a lot of the T2 soundtrack. Sounds awesome. Soundtrack has been quite good throughout.

It's launch day, will take some time to sort out player skill levels.

Also, I was just about to post about the soundtrack, perhaps I was just in awe of everything else, but the soundtrack just felt lacking overall, not that it was bad, just, I didn't notice it much outside of the main theme.

jackdoe

Grisby said:
She plays a
stranded leader in Hanover in the first chapter.
Actually
she plays both the female stranded leaders. Which is why it was a bit overkill having two leaders in a row voiced by her.

Hawk269

Holy Shit....Holy Shit....

WoW is this game visually fucking impressive. I beat Gears 2 last night for the first time so that game and the visuals are fresh in my mind. The first level, fuck just the first time you take control of Marcus in Gears 3 there is more color in the game that in all of Gears 2. That is one thing that the Unreal Engine in general is not known for and it looks like Cliffy and the boys went out of their way to really infuse some color and a better pallete of colors into the game because it just looks fucking great.

Now the PC Master Race in me would love some 8xaa applied to the game because in some parts early on during gameplay it does look a little jaggy, not too bad, but enough where you wish there was some better AA. Cutscenes that are in-game just look amazing cause they are able to appy some AA, FXAA or MLAA because they are almost jaggie free. But that is one small complaint and really the only one so far in regards to visuals.

I would have to say that visually, Gears 3 imho is the biggest jump visually from one game to the next. Outside of a sequel that moves from one generation to another, visually to me Gears 3 is the biggest jump being that all 3 games are on the same console.

I am still early in the game and I am extremly impressed with the polish of the game. I guess this is what happens when a game is not rushed and not pushed for a deadline.

Clott

I just popped it in!!

My GT: RedClott

someone add me, I really like playing as a team! and I will be getting a new mic soon.

Heysoos

Played a good 2 hours of the story earlier. Pretty awesome so far, and I really like that you won't automatically lose for getting downed now. Makes it really more enjoyable, IMO. At least for solo Hardcore it does. Have yet to try multiplayer. Unfortunately, my teachers decided to stack the homework/tests up this week. :(

Plissken

Dammit UPS, I want my copy! But no, despite the fact that tracking says it arrived in town at 6:45 this morning, I don't get it until tomorrow because of "driver error", whatever the hell that means.

Galdelico

Hawk269 said:

WoW is this game visually fucking impressive.
Seriously, I'm amazed...

Installed the game, started to play it and forced myself to stop afrer I reached 2-2.
Some moments have been proper breathtaking... Can't belive how much more beautiful this game looks - artistically speaking - compared to Gears 1: such an amazing evolution of its original vision.

Hawk269 said:

WoW is this game visually fucking impressive. I beat Gears 2 last night for the first time so that game and the visuals are fresh in my mind. The first level, fuck just the first time you take control of Marcus in Gears 3 there is more color in the game that in all of Gears 2. That is one thing that the Unreal Engine in general is not known for and it looks like Cliffy and the boys went out of their way to really infuse some color and a better pallete of colors into the game because it just looks fucking great.

Now the PC Master Race in me would love some 8xaa applied to the game because in some parts early on during gameplay it does look a little jaggy, not too bad, but enough where you wish there was some better AA. Cutscenes that are in-game just look amazing cause they are able to appy some AA, FXAA or MLAA because they are almost jaggie free. But that is one small complaint and really the only one so far in regards to visuals.

I would have to say that visually, Gears 3 imho is the biggest jump visually from one game to the next. Outside of a sequel that moves from one generation to another, visually to me Gears 3 is the biggest jump being that all 3 games are on the same console.

I am still early in the game and I am extremly impressed with the polish of the game. I guess this is what happens when a game is not rushed and not pushed for a deadline.
In my mind it's comparable to the jump from Dead Space to Dead Space 2. The lighting is fantastic.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
-PXG- said:
The severs are on. Smooth as velvet.

P2P is great too. No issues whatsoever.

I've had a little bit of lag tonight.

It seems to appear in spikes where I'll suddenly move 50ft forward then back.

It's not a constant thing like Gears 2 so it doesn't impact the game too much. Just did it a few times in one of the games I was playing.

Y2Kev said:
How does Anya's skin say so smooth and soft? And her hair so blissfully clean?

HMMM?!?!
gears 3 ashes trailer shows anya's hair all scruffy, must have changed it because she found some hairspray.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
JB1981 said:

I was feeling all high and mighty too until we ran into our first well coordinated team. got obliterated.

jackdoe

Y2Kev said:
How does Anya's skin say so smooth and soft? And her hair so blissfully clean?

HMMM?!?!
She must have gotten a perm and some face work in between Gears 2 and 3. I suppose Sam moonlights as a plastic surgeon.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
RSTEIN said:
I was feeling all high and mighty too until we ran into our first well coordinated team. got obliterated.

haha, yeah.

I joined a game where the other team all had matching gamer tags

it didn't last long.

Fallacy

Neo Member
striKeVillain! said:
This is some of the best multiplayer I've played on 360. WOW!

One question though - how can I set it so other players' voices come out of my headset instead of my speakers. Don't know if I need to set it in Gears or 360 dashboard.
media button -> right twice over to settings-> scroll down to preferences -> click voice->set to headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom