• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats up with dead room chat?

In Ranked Warzone, dead and living teammates can communicate with each other through the in-game chat channel. Seems backwards, and i think this was patched out of Gears 2.

oversight?

equil

MrCompletely said:
whats up with dead room chat?

In Ranked Warzone, dead and living teammates can communicate with each other through the in-game chat channel. Seems backwards, and i think this was patched out of Gears 2.

oversight?

Being in party chat would allow the chat anyway.

If someone has codes for Mechanic Baird and/or Savage Grenadier Elite, I'd like to trade one for a Commando Dom. I still have a few Commando Dom codes actually.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
AndyMoogle said:
If someone has codes for Mechanic Baird and/or Savage Grenadier Elite, I'd like to trade one for a Commando Dom. I still have a few Commando Dom codes actually.

How did you get these Commando Dom codes and what can I give you that isn't a character skin?

So I beat the game, and maybe I missed something, but did they ever explain why the Locust queen looks human, while everything else from that species looks horrifyingly monstrous?

Nekuru

Jadedx said:
I promised a friend that I would wait to play single player because we want to co op together but the wait is killing meee!!!:(

Yeah playing with my friend as well. But I know he won't be able to keep up. I think I'll just do SP in secret.

h3ro

AndyMoogle said:

Feeling generous?

:D

equil said:
Being in party chat would allow the chat anyway.

My friends and I have a private league where chatting w/dead teammates is illegal and all dead players chat together from both teams, like in Gears 1/2. THis is impossible unless we all mute mics now and adhere to an honor system.

2th

Banned
Grisby said:
Ah. I guess the snub wouldn't have an execution right? I know the Boltik does though so I just never switched to pistols.

Snub and smoke grenade executions are the face punch for COG and the arm rip beat down for Locust. Every other weapon has a unique execution. Well except for the 3heavy weapons. They are all pretty much the same with you just dropping the back end on someone's head.

JB1981

Liquidsnake said:
I really don't understand the people coming in here talking about the story of Act one is garbage, and the graphics are trash. This is simply not true. The graphics are the best the 360 has ever produced, and the set up of the entire first act is almost flawless.

It is a huge step up.
I seriously have no idea what game people are playing

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
btrboyev said:
Is it me, or did the graphics take a major hit this time? Or maybe the engine is just that outdated these days...? It's been since 2008 since I've played a gears game.
Are you kidding? The visuals are miles better than Gears 2. The lighting is so much more complete this time around and the post processing improvements make a world of difference. It looks dramatically better than any other UE3 game to date. Much more impressive than anything in the previous Gears titles.

If anything, this has proven to me that the 360 can still hang with the best of them. Aside from image quality, I really think this looks better than even stuff like The Witcher 2 (which IS quite lovely). With the power of the PC behind it, Gears 3 would instantly become one of the best looking titles on the platform. All it needs is a higher resolution, some AA, and a few additional effects (such as bokeh DOF).

I seriously have no idea what game people are playing
I know, right? The first act is absolutely incredible and a perfect setup for the rest of the game. This game is better paced than anything Epic has ever released. I really can't understand where the negativity is coming from.

The graphics aren't that much better. I've just finished ACT 1 and I haven't really been wowed. I think next gen needs to come soon. Also, think the game's difficulty is toned down - playing on hardcore and its kind of on par with gears 2 in terms of how easy it is.

story wise; its not mindblowing. And the writing is still Gears level "me so gruff"

*with the mech thing. It says to hold A to bunker down and shoot missles but I can't hardly make it down that. It just tends to run? Sometimes itd do it though.

charsace

Up to chapter 4 right now and the jump between GOW1/2 and 3 is just staggering. 3 is better than both games by a good margin. The flow of the levels is perfect. The writing is great. The graphics and the scale of some of the environments is fantastic. Epic has really found a great balance between story telling and game play.

The is the best looking console game this gen.

charsace

The writing is way better than the first two games. GOW3 has some of the best writing I've seen in an action game. Act 1 when you play as Cole was sad to me.

Proelite

Not sure how people could not see the substantial improvement in lighting. It's not even a matter of opinion really.

The same people that says the graphics aren't better must be the same guys that can't differentiate between 480p and 720p.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Got back with the codes, the Savage Kantus for ZROCOOL, and I'm looking for a Mechanic Baird to trade with my Savage Grenadier Elite.

charsace said:
Up to chapter 4 right now and the jump between GOW1/2 and 3 is just staggering. 3 is better than both games by a good margin. The flow of the levels is perfect. The writing is great. The graphics and the scale of some of the environments is fantastic. Epic has really found a great balance between story telling and game play.

The is the best looking console game this gen.

Damn right - which is why the one or two people talking about not seeing the difference between this and Gears 2, or not being impressed by the graphics got me wondering what's up with their eyes.

Proelite said:
Not sure how people could not see the substantial improvement in lighting. It's not even a matter of opinion really.

The same people that says the graphics aren't better must be the same guys that can't differentiate between 480p and 720p.
I wonder if Ice-T dosn't think Gears 3 looks any better.

Proelite said:

I think that the animation, and faces in particular, are way better than both Gears. The characters also look way less bulky, which is a huge improvement. I wish this was the first Gears game.

charsace

Some of you guys are blind. Its not opinion that the game looks better. Its a fact that it looks better than the other games. Greater scale, better looking textures with more variation, better models and much better lighting. You can tell that epic wanted to shut up all the people that bitch about the UE look. And they did. Some of the best lighting in a console. The improvement really shows up in the slow moments when the characters are just walking and chatting.

Proelite said:

The gears games have always been fantastic looking. Saying its not much improved isn't saying it looks like dogshit or bad. It looks like more gears. The only thing I'd say I really noted is that the shadows on the characters faces don't flicker and look terrible like in 2. When the Queen in 2 showed up and was talking to Marcus in 2; the shadows were blocky and flickery and it was distracting.

The compressed FMV continues to disappoint though. :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Pachterballs said:
The graphics aren't that much better. I've just finished ACT 1 and I haven't really been wowed. I think next gen needs to come soon. Also, think the game's difficulty is toned down - playing on hardcore and its kind of on par with gears 2 in terms of how easy it is.

story wise; its not mindblowing. And the writing is still Gears level "me so gruff"

*with the mech thing. It says to hold A to bunker down and shoot missles but I can't hardly make it down that. It just tends to run? Sometimes itd do it though.
If you don't think the graphics aren't significantly improved, you've simply missed out on the major strides they've made. The new lightmass model (light and shadow have real volume and give the impression of global illumination), per-object motion blur, god rays, massive improvements to atmospheric rendering (for particles), and improved texture streaming. Those are some pretty big improvements right there.

Some of you guys are blind. Its not opinion that the game looks better. Its a fact that it looks better than the other games. Greater scale, better looking textures with more variation, better models and much better lighting. You can tell that epic wanted to shut up all the people that bitch about the UE look. And they did. Some of the best lighting in a console. The improvement really shows up in the slow moments when the characters are just walking and chatting.
The fact that so many people are underwhelmed gives an indication as to WHY we haven't seen new consoles. At this point, would the average person really even notice any significant improvements? Many of us on GAF certainly would, but I'm not convinced we would be the majority.

jackdoe

Pachterballs said:
The compressed FMV continues to disappoint though. :p
The compressed FMV and the points at which they use it disappoint, but not as much as in Gears 2 (so far at least). It's slightly better quality (ever so slightly) than in Gears 2.

dark10x said:
If you don't think the graphics aren't significantly improved, you've simply missed out on the major strides they've made. The new lightmass model (light and shadow have real volume and give the impression of global illumination), per-object motion blur, god rays, massive improvements to atmospheric rendering (for particles), and improved texture streaming. Those are some pretty big improvements right there.
Definitely. And they definitely stepped up on the character models, which is very easily noticeable. One nice touch that they did in campaign are the little Uncharted-like transitions (lifting doors, etc.). Really nice touch.

Shame about the story though. You shouldn't make buying and reading Gears of War novels mandatory.
I was surprised Dizzy survived Landown. Marcus wasn't since apparently, Dizzy came back in an interquel novel. Utter bullshit.

charsace

dark10x said:

The fact that so many people are underwhelmed gives an indication as to WHY we haven't seen new consoles. At this point, would the average person really even notice any significant improvements? Many of us on GAF certainly would, but I'm not convinced we would be the majority.
I'm laughing at a lot of these posts. I'm hoping that these dudes are just trolling because I don't want to believe that guys that play a lot of games can't tell the difference graphically between GOW2 and 3.

Kaiken

Banned
Watched but never palyed the first two (probably won't either).
Just got back into 360 gaming.
Does this kind of catch you up to the story? Need something worth playing on this system besides GTA4 haha.

gaming_noob

Sorry to say but the graphics suck....in Gears 2. Blurry washed out textures, bad lighting...

BUT I cannot wait to try Gears 3 with my bro after work. Beta blew me away!!

dark10x said:

You're listing off a "list" of various things about the game that you say makes it look better. To me; it about the same... and then you go on to say this.. ^

well, if anything; it reinforces the fact that the current consoles are long in the tooth. They can finesse the engine as much as they want; fact remains, it still has significant limitations. AA+resolution. And well, all that give an "impression" of not being much improved.

Reluctant-Hero said:
And what's up with my Hammerburst?! Wasn't it's rate of fire as fast as you could squeeze the trigger?! Now the ROF feels the same when feathering the trigger or just holding it down for semi-auto fire.

Quoting myself. Is this definite change that EPIC made since Gears 2? Or am I just imagining things?

jackdoe said:
My largest complaint about the story. They make the novels mandatory reading.
In regards to that particular spoiler,
it's actually shown in one of the comics that Tai jumps in and holds off Skorge while telling Dizzy to run away. This is incidentally how Tai got captured by the Locust.

Epic made a nice attempt at summing up the main plot points that have happened in the novels with that "Previously on Gears of War" video, but that's all that's touched upon, the most important facts. Lots of memorable stuff from the novels are only slightly referenced.

I wholeheartedly recommend giving the novels a read though, they're excellent material if you're even just a little bit into the game's characters and story.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Quoting myself. Is this definite change that EPIC made since Gears 2? Or an I just imagining things?
Not just you. They lowered the firing speed cap to prevent cheating with modded controllers. As a result, Gears 3's Hammy and Snub pistol are rather weak compared to what you could do in Gears 2 with them...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
gaming_noob said:
Sorry to say but the graphics suck....in Gears 2. Blurry washed out textures, bad lighting...

BUT I cannot wait to try Gears 3 with my bro after work. Beta blew me away!!
I wouldn't say they suck, but I played through Gears 2 on insane 2 weeks ago and they certainly are blurrier than I remembered.

I'm genuinely surprised in the leap in visual quality between Gears 2 and 3. It's uncanny, you have to be blind not to notice the improvements graphically. Nearly every facet of the game has improved from Gears 2.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Anabuhabkuss said:
spoilers

I mean...wtf is this?

Seriously: You're playing and thinking "look at that per-object motion blur and god rays"?

It's about as absurd as noticing crappy jaggies in a fast paced action sequence.

I don't know why you guys are making a big deal out of this. Technically, it may be a marginal difference", but there's nothing that stands out amidst all the chaos. The things most are going to see first are the enemies on screen, their surroundings, etc.

Who the hell goes: DAT GOD RAYS, yo?

Calm down. lol.

Got some broken spoiler tags yo

Damn. In before stealth edit. This post is now completely redundant.

Unless someone wants to give me a Commando Dom :)

jackdoe

Seth Balmore said:
In regards to that particular spoiler,
it's actually shown in one of the comics that Tai jumps in and holds off Skorge while telling Dizzy to run away. This is incidentally how Tai got captured by the Locust.

Epic made a nice attempt at summing up the main plot points that have happened in the novels with that "Previously on Gears of War" video, but that's all that's touched upon, the most important facts. Lots of memorable stuff from the novels are only slightly referenced.

I wholeheartedly recommend giving the novels a read though, they're excellent material if you're even just a little bit into the game's characters and story.
Yeah, you understand the major plot points for the most part. It's just hard to give a shit about the majority of the characters (since they were introduced and developed in the novels and comics).

Anabuhabkuss said:
I mean...wtf is this?

Seriously: You're playing and thinking "look at that per-object motion blur and god rays"?

It's about as absurd as noticing crappy jaggies in a fast paced action sequence.

I don't know why you guys are making a big deal out of this. Technically, it may be a marginal difference", but there's no "HUGE LEAP" that stands out amidst all the chaos. The things most are going to see first are the enemies on screen, their surroundings, etc.

Who the hell goes: DAT GOD RAY? DAT atmospheric rendering? Who?

Calm down. lol.

Huge difference. you don't have to know the technicalities to notice how much better it looks.

The_Monk

Hey guys what was the skin/code that everyone got it by pre-ordering?

Cause I got the game one day after release and the guys who sold me even gave me extra points on my client card as if I had pre-ordered plus a keychain but he was all out of those codes...

What did I miss then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom