• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can anyone confirm whether or not COOP is possible over system link? From what I can tell, it does seem possible (you can form a system link party). As I haven't actually tried connecting the two systems, however, I can't be sure that it actually works.

The main thing here is that I would like to play the game in COOP with another person who does not subscribe to XBOX Live Gold. If XBL is required, it will basically kill my plans. :\

Raxus

_dementia said:
How do you do the execution where you punch the guy for like a minute straight before his head explodes?
Default for all weapons until you unlock the execution unless you are playing campaign, then it is the snub pistol execution.

clav

dark10x said:
Can anyone confirm whether or not COOP is possible over system link? From what I can tell, it does seem possible (you can form a system link party). As I haven't actually tried connecting the two systems, however, I can't be sure that it actually works.

The main thing here is that I would like to play the game in COOP with another person who does not subscribe to XBOX Live Gold. If XBL is required, it will basically kill my plans. :\
I'll check right now.

edit: Hm. There doesn't seem an obvious option for it. Is there a reason why the person doesn't have a 48 hour code?

I'll check back again if I can find someone near me who has Gears 3 who is willing to try system link.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So can anyone tell me why my beta unlocks didn't show up last night the first time I played? Only played Campaign. Surely someone else has had this issue. I have my save and everything.

Jadedx

Banned
I promised a friend that I would wait to play single player because we want to co op together but the wait is killing meee!!!:(

Kud Dukan

enzo_gt said:
So can anyone tell me why my beta unlocks didn't show up last night the first time I played? Only played Campaign. Surely someone else has had this issue. I have my save and everything.

Mine didn't unlock either the first time I played. When I started the game back up after taking a break last night, all the beta stuff started unlocking for me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kud Dukan said:
Mine didn't unlock either the first time I played. When I started the game back up after taking a break last night, all the beta stuff started unlocking for me.
Good to hear. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Stupid question: How can I play Gears 3 online with a guest account? Like those you see sometimes that are AccountName and AccountName(1).

I've seen people do it in Horde all the time, I keep trying but it will only allow me to play local games. :/

wastedyears said:
For me, one of the (many!) problems with the story is that they first expect the player to believe that humanity is taking its last stand against an overwhelming foe, yet again, just like we did in Gears 1, and again in Gears 2. Then a battle starts and everyone seems to be having fun killing the enemy. If the situation was anywhere near as bleak as the story wants us to believe, then why are the Gears gang running around shouting, "Nice!", "Whoo-hoo!", etc, and generally having a good time until the skirmish ends? And if the Locusts are such a terrifying foe, then why is it that only a handful of soldiers can take out entire armies by themselves?

A lot of the macho glee you hear in the character dialogue is more a a coping mechanism in response to the horrific environment around them. Take for example Cole's crazy football player persona. Underneath the goofy cole train shtick is a severely fucked up soldier.

RS4-

enzo_gt said:

Mine actually worked as soon as I hopped on and checked out the multiplayer gun/char skins. Was a little concerned as this was a new 360 and not my old one where I had played the beta.

Transferred my beta save file to a USB stick from old HDD, then transferred save file/profile from USB to new HDD and everything worked out.

U2NUMB

enzo_gt said:

When you first put the game in did you get a massive flash of stuff on the screen showing you everything you have pre unlocked?

clav

dark10x said:

Follow up.

1. Link the two Xbox 360s together. You can link them with either Ethernet cable as the 360 has an auto-sensing switching port to detect if it's a standard Ethernet cable or crossover cable.

2. Once the two 360s have sensed each other, on the Gears 3 menu screen, press the "Back" button to switch the party type to "System Link."

3. Have fun.

Raxus

Attention people who complain about the story. It is a stupid action flick, these 300 pound men have chainsaw guns, and one crate of food will not supply a whole ship. Also the characters never tire, eat or sleep during the ENTIRE campaign. Sit down, shut up, have fun.

Jeez.

People who want a good dose of realism in their Gears of War can simply read the novels by Karen Traviss. In the books the Gears eat, sleep and even take a dump from time to time.

Can someone please help me with this before it gets drowned in posts? :(

v
v
v

Seth Balmore said:
Stupid question: How can I play Gears 3 online with a guest account? Like those you see sometimes that are AccountName and AccountName(1).

I've seen people do it in Horde all the time, I keep trying but it will only allow me to play local games. :/

pr0cs

Smision said:
as a guy who hates almost all game narratives, ESPECIALLY when dudebro games try to tug on my heartstrings with typical American pride bullshit (conveyed in the metaphorical sense in Gears), i was pretty damn surprised by his characterization in the game. They hired them some writers, that's for damn sure. Gears has always felt like a hopeless, fucked up universe, but you can see it really wearing away at the team in this one.
AFAIK Traviss was involved in writing the story for gears3 which is why (for me thus far) the story has been a lot more interesting than the previous games.
(though goddamn it makes a lot more sense if you're read Coalition's End beforehand)

Seth Balmore said:
Can someone please help me with this before it gets drowned in posts? :(
I'm sure it's possible as I saw (and was killed) last night by 'guest accounts' in multiplayer.
As long as whoever starts the game and is 'hosting' the lobby has gold and the second gamer is actually logged into the console it should work. It worked in the beta just fine as I had friends over for a weekend playing the Beta with me.

pr0cs said:
I'm sure it's possible as I saw (and was killed) last night by 'guest accounts' in multiplayer.
As long as whoever starts the game and is 'hosting' the lobby has gold and the second gamer is actually logged into the console it should work. It worked in the beta just fine as I had friends over for a weekend playing the Beta with me.
So I should try logging in as a guest in the dashboard instead of the game, got it. Will try.

And yes, Karen actually wrote the script for Gears 3. :)

ShaneB

Poker360 said:
(Major spoilers) / question:

Why the heck is the OT title / the main ads for this game saying "Brothers to the end". This is an obvious spoiler that implies one of the "brothers" aka Dam or Marcus will die ( Or both), and is confirmed it the end of act 3..

Since nobody has replied..

It's not really a spoiler given that it's been the main tagline for the promos for Gears 3 for ages. Sure it's a play on words, the end of this trilogy, shit is going down, for good or bad, etc.

Want to get home and play this more, "this time it works" indeed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
U2NUMB said:
When you first put the game in did you get a massive flash of stuff on the screen showing you everything you have pre unlocked?
Nope. I did get some for Gears 1/2 achievements but no splash screen for those either. Was I supposed to?

nib95

Banned
I want this game SO bad...but my 360 is in storage (moved out of my London flat and back in Bath, looking for a new place to buy) and I'm still playing through Deus Ex. I almost want to rush through Deus Ex just to rob my cousins 360 and buy Gears 3 to play.

zychi

Banned
still no beta unlocks for me. hopefully a title update fixes that.
havent even touched single player yet. mp is too fun.

Plasmid

I've got a Question.

In Gears 2 COOP one person could put their difficulty on Normal.

Another could put theirs on insane, this was a fast and easy way to run through for the achievements.

Is this possible in Gears 3? In the sense that
Difficulty changes only makes you take more damage and get less ammo. I'm asking If this mechanic is available in gears 3 because honestly I feel insane on this game is almost impossible.

Seth Balmore said:
Well, Risk Breaker and I for one found it all on our own. Just sayin'. :p
But you guys probably knew that there's an easter egg. Imo easter eggs are not supposed to be known that they're there, discovering it should happen accidentally.

Plasmid said:
I've got a Question.

Another could put theirs on insane, this was a fast and easy way to run through for the achievements.

Difficulty changes only makes you take more damage and get less ammo. I'm asking If this mechanic is available in gears 3 because honestly I feel insane on this game is almost impossible.

Imagine if you had some unlockable difficulty mutators enabled...

U2NUMB

Plasmid said:
I've got a Question.

Yes you can pick your own difficulty. It brings up a screen before the game launches and you can see how many are playing on each difficulty.

Plasmid

U2NUMB said:
Yes you can pick your own difficulty. It brings up a screen before the game launches and you can see how many are playing on each difficulty.
I understand, I'm saying. Could 3 people choose casual, one choose insane and the enemies have lower health / make it easier to run through.

I started playing yesterday around 6:00PM and didn't put the controller down until 2:30AM. So. Freaking. Good. Here are my impressions thus far:

Campaign
I completed the first act in the campaign and I have to say that I am having a great time with it. The set pieces in Gears 3 are interesting and a lot more exciting than the beginning stages of the other two games. Pacing feels great and the graphical improvements and level of detail achieved in the effects, environments and characters are a sight to behold on the 360. The expanded color palette and lighting improvements make a huge difference.

AI appears to be improved tremendously. Teammates were aggressive and smart about using cover or tactics against various enemy types (AI actively took cover or moved out of the way of explosions from lambent enemies, frags, etc.). AI teammates went out of their way to revive me every single time I was downed and they carried their weight in terms of eliminating the enemy forces. This holds true in multiplayer and though not as effective as in the campaign, the bots definitely add an increased challenge from prior games. Obviously, they are no perfect replacement for a live human player but they serve their purpose well.

Playing on Hardcore, the difficulty seems a little low at this point in comparison to the previous games. Having completed Gears 1 and Gears 2 on both Hardcore and Insane, this just doesn't compare. I'm playing in co-op with one person so I can imagine this being a complete cake walk with a full team of four human controlled players. Hopefully the difficulty will ramp up in the later chapters or at least while playing on Insane.

I love the amount of collectibles and Easter eggs in the game and was pleasantly surprised by Cole's wearable Hanover Cougars cap (which stayed equipped until nearly the end of Act I) and sliding down the slide in the playground. I do wish that when you picked up a collectible that it was visible on the other player's screen also (wasn't it like this in Gears 2?). Luckily, the collectibles can be viewed by other players via the menu.

I love the new characters and all the great one-liners and the interaction between them all. The female characters are definitely a welcome addition to the game and help it feel a lot less "dudebro". I have some minor annoyances and nitpicks but nothing worth mentioning here or anything that would leave a blemish on such an outstanding product. In closing, I'm impressed, having a blast, and can't wait to play more. Epic has done a fine job and I'm sure there are some great things in store for me in the following acts.

Multiplayer
The multiplayer in Gears 3 hits the sweet spot between both prior games, achieving some kind of Gears nirvana. It's the most fun I have ever had playing an online shooter (probably since Gears 1) and is so close to perfection that it's scary. There is nothing better than playing ranked on dedicated servers. Everything is deliciously smooth and every game I played felt completely lag free.

The Gnasher shotgun is back in full form and has never felt better. The Retro Lancer adds some nice variety to the medium-to-long range game and the adjustments to the other rifles have made them excellent tools of destruction when used appropriately. All of the weapons are useful and everything seems to have a good balance, including the power weapons and grenades. The smoke frags are perfect now. They provide good visual cover and leave enemies hit by them vulnerable but still able to move and escape.

On the Sawed-off and Retro:

My wife was getting killed frequently with the Sawed-off and complained about it quite a bit. Having played the beta, I mostly knew how to maneuver, avoid, and challenge Sawed-off users so I found myself not getting killed by it very often. I think this is more about people learning to adapt to the game as it brings a new element that didn't exist in either prior game. The drawbacks of limited range, not being to down, limited ammo, and extremely slow reload are more than enough detriment to using this weapon for its advantages.

Changing the kickback on the Retro Lancer was a good balance change in contrast with the power of the gun. I have to say that I never blind fired with it in the Beta so this didn't really impact me at all in the retail version. I used the gun exclusively on Checkout and finished with around 18 kills and 13 downs, my highest thus far in the limited amount of games I have played. Following that, I tried again on a map I had yet to play (Overpass) and put out a sub-par performance. It's still a powerhouse but I don't feel that it is overpowered in comparison to the other weapons. Like the other rifles, it is effective and has a specific limited use.

It could be that everyone is just starting the game but Matchmaking appears to actually be working. When partied up with players within 2-3 ranks of myself, nearly all players found were within a similar level range. It was nice playing the game on mostly equal ground. Matches were fast and connections were good. I will say that when I started, I played with a player 20 levels above me and ended up in matches full of rank 30s but I think that was mostly a fault of the party system rather than matchmaking. Those matches were not kind to my K/D but there is only so much you can do, after all.

The maps play and look incredible and the improvements from the beta made to Trenches and Thrashball bring these maps onto the same level as my beta favorites, Checkout and Old Town. Out of the non-beta maps, Gridlock and Hotel are probably my current favorites, followed closely by Sandbar, Drydock, and Mercy. The only map I dislike out of the whole bunch is Overpass. You can be quickly overrun on that map by the team that makes it to the top and have little left to your defenses as they can hit you from just about anywhere on the map at that point. There is mortar that can be used to somewhat counter this but it is still very lopsided. It's quite a feat that out of the 10 starting maps, I whole heatedly love and enjoy at least 9 of them.

As for gametypes, I only played Team Deathmatch, Wingman, and Capture the Leader. Team Deathmatch is definitely my go-to gametype and captures what I feel are the best of what Warzone and Execution have to offer. I was a hardcore Warzone fan and I may try each gametype once or twice for posterity but I cannot see myself ever going back to them on a regular basis. Judging by the number of players seeking matches, most seem to agree. I always enjoyed playing Capture the Leader but all of the pitfalls kept me away. This time around, it's perfect. I had a lot of fun playing it last night and it will be nice to jump into a game and mix things up every now and then. Wingman is pretty much the same as it was before but the reduced team numbers feels better to me. There is a lot more breathing room to get around in the maps and the matches had a better feeling of tension.

I wanted to add that players appear to be making a much more concerted effort to play as a team in Gears 3. The community atmosphere feels a far cry from that of Gears 2 or even Gears 1. It's magical.

Congratulations, Epic. Dark Souls and Skyrim be damned. This is becoming my 2011, game of the year.

Grisby

_dementia said:
How do you do the execution where you punch the guy for like a minute straight before his head explodes?

Make sure you don't have a main weapon equipped. Like, I switch to grenades or something. Then Hold Y and it should start the process. Gotta keep tappin the Y button while your doing it though.

Plasmid

Grisby said:
Make sure you don't have a main weapon equipped. Like, I switch to grenades or something. Then Hold Y and it should start the process. Gotta keep tappin the Y button while your doing it though.
Most people switch to the pistol.

btrboyev said:
Is it me, or did the graphics take a major hit this time? Or maybe the engine is just that outdated these days...? It's been since 2008 since I've played a gears game.

I really don't understand the people coming in here talking about the story of Act one is garbage, and the graphics are trash. This is simply not true. The graphics are the best the 360 has ever produced, and the set up of the entire first act is almost flawless.

It is a huge step up.

The_Monk

claviertekky said:
Don't reinstall games. I don't know why you feel compelled to do that.

The latest games for the 360 will spin for about 2 minutes for games installed as this is the new security feature to make up for the 1GB security partition that previously existed. The disk will eventually stop spinning.

A May 2011 dashboard upgrade reflashed the firmwares of many Xbox 360 consoles to support XGD3, the new format.

OMG, thank you, I was so scared. yeah the Dvd stopped after a few minutes, I didn't knew that this was a new security feature. Thanks again, sir.

Oh and is there a problem by reinstalling games? =/

I'm just trying the game now, so sad that I only have like 5 days of live left...

Plasmid

Grisby said:
Ah. I guess the snub wouldn't have an execution right? I know the Boltik does though so I just never switched to pistols.
Pistol has no execution correct. Nor do grenades as far as I know.

Liquidsnake said:
I really don't understand the people coming in here talking about the story of Act one is garbage, and the graphics are trash. This is simply not true. The graphics are the best the 360 has ever produced, and the set up of the entire first act is almost flawless.

It is a huge step up.

Maybe its the brightness in Act 1. I think GOW1 and GOW2 might appear more graphically impressive to some since they're darker and therefore hide a lot of sub par textures.

I see PXG mass invite people even when they aren't on his friends list. How do you do that? Or is he just going down the list and pressing X to invite everybody lol

Got up to Horde 47 with 3 randoms. They started being stupid, and that's when it died off. I know GAF can do it with a full party of Lancer/Hammerburst start.

LOL graphics are way improved from prior Gears

Just play gears 2 again. I was very pleased with the upgrade.

Finished game, weird that first act was the most impressive so they did jump the shark there.

But great game, I managed to finish it which is rare for my as I like RPG shooters and rarely finish plain shooters any more.

WTF with the skimpy manual though? I have nice Gears 1 and 2 from affordable Special Editions but couldn't justify the $150 for the Gears 3 one.

Unlikely to play game again so will just trade in for near what I paid from amazon, which I likely wouldn't have done if they had a nice LE steelbook + artbook for reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom