• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
The_Monk said:
Hey guys what was the skin/code that everyone got it by pre-ordering?

Cause I got the game one day after release and the guys who sold me even gave me extra points on my client card as if I had pre-ordered plus a keychain but he was all out of those codes...

What did I miss then?

Multiplayer DLC character

Seth Balmore said:
Not just you. They lowered the firing speed cap to prevent cheating with modded controllers. As a result, Gears 3's Hammy and Snub pistol are rather weak compared to what you could do in Gears 2 with them...
Damn it. Damn cheaters ruined my favorite weapon. =(

charsace

Anabuhabkuss said:
I mean...wtf is this?

Seriously: You're playing and thinking "look at that per-object motion blur and god rays"?

It's about as absurd as noticing crappy jaggies in a fast paced action sequence.

I don't know why you guys are making a big deal out of this. Technically, it may be a marginal difference", but there's no "HUGE LEAP" that stands out amidst all the chaos. The things most are going to see first are the enemies on screen, their surroundings, etc.

Who the hell goes: DAT GOD RAY? DAT atmospheric rendering? Who?

Calm down. lol.
You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Really you don't. The game looks much better than the previous ones in the series. This is a fact. Do you need someone from epic to come in here and confirm it for you?

abracadaver

The fuck ? Gears 2 still looks awesome

Gears 3 has better lighting, shadows and effects but everything else is mostly the same. Especially texture detail, cant see an improvement here.

What Im missing in Gears 3 are the water effects gears 2 had. They were very good, but are completely missing in gears 3.

Ramirez

kodecraft said:

*Sigh* This is part of the problem.

How are my tastes evolving as I get older a part of the problem? lol

I'm married, and have a kid, I don't have the time to devote to a bunch of 20 hour single player games anymore. Oh GAF...

tsigo

Has anyone gotten beyond wave, say, 20 in a public random game of Horde? I've tried a few and invariably some moron will die way far away from the rest of the group, die and then leave, and their spot never refills.

tsigo said:
Has anyone gotten beyond wave, say, 20 in a public random game of Horde? I've tried a few and invariably some moron will die way far away from the rest of the group, die and then leave, and their spot never refills.

Got to wave 47 with three randoms. Wanna help me beat it, hit up my GT

abracadaver

tsigo said:

I have completed horde with randoms. Nobody left, it was awesome

Muffdraul

Anabuhabkuss said:
*shakes head in hands*

I'm not seeing it. Too busy not getting shot. Can't be THAT huge.

I know it's, technically, a fact. For all practical purposes, I am not seeing "much better" and this is from someone who has been playing Gears 2 non-stop with friends. I see more jaggies at the expense of better textures.

I'm sure as I get deeper into the game, newer tricks will make themselves much more obvious so easy.

DAT global illuminati, yo.

I don't know what to tell you. I just played Gears 1 and 2 for the entire week leading up to yesterday, and to my eyes, to call Gears 3's graphical upgrade "obvious" would be a major understatement. You should go have a CAT scan to see if your visual cortex is in good working order.

U2NUMB

Anabuhabkuss said:
*shakes head in hands*

I'm not seeing it. Too busy not getting shot. Can't be THAT huge.

I know it's, technically, a fact. For all practical purposes, I am not seeing "much better" and this is from someone who has been playing Gears 2 non-stop with friends. I see more jaggies at the expense of better textures.

I'm sure as I get deeper into the game, newer tricks will make themselves much more obvious so easy.

DAT global illuminati, yo.

When was the last time you actually sat down and played through Gears 1 and 2? I did it over the last week to get ready for Gears 3 and it is not even a contest. 3 blows the other two away. And on top of that keeping the frame rate up and 4 players online with battlefields 10x the size of the previous games. It really is amazing what they have been able to push out of this engine.

I have to ask this and I am serious.. you are on an HD TV right? I have one friend who still rocks the tube TV and on that every game looks like 2005 still.

Was considering trading my Commando Dom for something else as well...

SPOILERS

But after what happens to him in Act 4... I gotta keep him and represent him online. I couldn't believe they did it, they actually killed Dom :(

B-Dex

EteRnal_PAL said:

SPOILERS

But after what happens to him in Act 4... I gotta keep him and represent him online. I couldn't believe they did it, they actually killed Dom :(

Someone had to go and since the fans wanted carmine to live.....

U2NUMB

Anabuhabkuss said:
Gears 1 is out of the question.

Gears 2 I play a lot and on a regular basis. Running it all on a 2 year old 40 inch Bravia

K cool then you and I just do not agree on what a leap this game is. Glad you enjoy it overall. I just really do not see a minor upgrade. But as long as we are both having Fun with it all is well.

Jeff-DSA

Jeez, GAF. I make my first peek into the thread to talk about Horde mode and find a pissing match about graphics? My friends and I played until 5:00am last night and not once did anybody mention visuals. So many of you guys like to whine about games more than play them.

Anyway, we got to wave 50 last night and then two of our 5 bailed when they noticed it was 4:00am. From there we absolutely could not beat it. Is it unreasonable to think we could do it with three of us on our first jump into the mode? Seems like a tall order.

We actually left the game paused to give it another chance after work. Probably not great for the consoles, bit we didn't want to abandon 49 waves of progress. Now that I leanred that your stats carry over I am thinking a fresh start might be the better idea though.

tsigo

U2NUMB said:
K cool then you and I just do not agree on what a leap this game is. Glad you enjoy it overall. I just really do not see a minor upgrade. But as long as we are both having Fun with it all is well.

I also think it looks way better, but I think it's all because of the color palette. Compare the Sandbar multiplayer map to pretty much any map from 2. Also the menus and all the stats and things add to the overall polish.

MCD

Motherfucker CliffyB fucking did it.

Best COOP campaign ever.

MS should seriously drop Halo and invest all their JUICE in this bitch.

How far am I from the end?
Ice T just sent me on a mission

So far, the game is excellent, although I find some of the level design a little counter intuitive - there have been a few moments where the obvious objective was in front of me but it wanted me to go kill dudes somewhere else, only to be redirected to the obvious objective after killing said dudes.
the first Dizzy encounter is the best example I have of this
. I was actually starting to get a little bored, but Act III grabs you by the balls and the game has been totally excellent since then.

Marco1

I don't know if the people who think this is not a graphical improvement over gears 2 are serious.
Even the walking out of the cell at the start looks better.

2th

Banned
EteRnal_PAL said:

SPOILERS

someone had to die. and it had to be a meaningful death too. So epic used the old cliche of self sacrifice to save your friends/family. i am usually against such cliches, but this time it really worked. and dom didnt go out in some blaze of glory either. (yes ti was a blaze), he went out with kind of a whimper and it was very appropriate. his death was not some crazy over the top thing, he used his head and did something that would take out the most enemies with him. it was noble and sad. probably on par with how he had to execute maria in gears 2. anyways, i really enjoyed his death (if that makes any sense) and it give the game the added emotional attachment it really needed.

mbmonk

-PXG- said:
Gears 3 GAF IV is up and live. Add it now.

I will make a graphic for the OP later.

I sent friend request :). Can't wait to play with some Gaffers, but to be honest I have been having a great time in the pubs with randoms, just learning the game.

Marleyman

Banned
tsigo said:

I got to 30 with 3 randoms last night. We played in the Thrashball stadium and died in the top room when 2 Beserkers, 2 guys with a shield and mace and 2 Grinders were all in the room with us.

Wish there was a way to form a community lobby. Im on GAF two, and there was a decent amount of people on, but a lot were playing the campaign, others were already in full groups, others didnt respond to invites. I need Gears friends GAF! Dont want to play with dirty pubs! : (

If anyone has any spare preorder codes aside from the Amazon one, Id love it. Nothing to offer except an internet fist-bump and bro-hug. : )

Bumhead

Banned
Just how good is this?

Gears 1 and 2 are two of my favourite games from this generation, for reasons I'm not sure I can really explain, and I feel like I'm missing out big time by not being able to play Gears 3. My 360 has perished and since not been replaced since Gears 2.

Worth picking up a used 360 for? Along with a few other cheap 360 exclusives, but mostly for Gears 3..

With all the code begging going on I'm imagining Commando Dom and Savage Kantus will end up increasing the value of Dirt 3 codes and Steamgifts invites in GAF's economy.

Malo

Banned
Mat C said:
Just how good is this?

Gears 1 and 2 are two of my favourite games from this generation, for reasons I'm not sure I can really explain, and I feel like I'm missing out big time by not being able to play Gears 3. My 360 has perished and since not been replaced since Gears 2.

Worth picking up a used 360 for? Along with a few other cheap 360 exclusives, but mostly for Gears 3..
It's almost too good.

pr0cs

Mat C said:
Just how good is this?

personally if previous interations of a game were my favorite of the generation and the next game comes out and by most people consider is the best of all 3 versions I would hate to miss it.
That's just me though. I couldn't imagine not owning a 360 anyway but I guess it all depends on where your friends are.

Nelo Ice

Banned
BigJiantRobut said:
With all the code begging going on I'm imagining Commando Dom and Savage Kantus will end up increasing the value of Dirt 3 codes and Steamgifts invites in GAF's economy.

if thats the case i'll trade a steamgifts invite for commando dom or any of the skins that aren't savage kantus lol.

I noticed Gears 3 has more DLCs than past games. I know they're optional like skins and stuff, but what's Season Pass all about? Why is it expensive and what do you get?

Also, how long is the single player campaign for this game? I know it can be extended by playing co-op but how long would it be if you played the campaign alone?

Quick question for you Gearheads out there:

What's the deal with the planet Sera? For all intents and purposes is it supposed to be an analog of earth? If so, why don't they just call it Earth?

Or is it a colony of Earth? And if it was, why wouldn't everyone just leave if the locusts are such a terrible enemy?

Or is an alternate reality altogether?

AEREC

Truant said:
Disappointed in the image quality. The game is a jagfest on my 52" Samsung.

Some scenes are worse than other, the beginning int he boat is a jagged mess...but it gets better later in the game or maybe I just got used to it.

Thats my main gripe with console gaming now, way too many jaggies is most games.

kneePat

MCD said:
Motherfucker CliffyB fucking did it.

Best COOP campaign ever.

MS should seriously drop Halo and invest all their JUICE in this bitch.

lol... because having both is out of the question.

Neuromancer said:

What's the deal with the planet Sera? For all intents and purposes is it supposed to be an analog of earth? If so, why don't they just call it Earth?

Or is it a colony of Earth? And if it was, why wouldn't everyone just leave if the locusts are such a terrible enemy?

Because video games.

nib95

Banned
Truant said:
Disappointed in the image quality. The game is a jagfest on my 52" Samsung.

Even with sharpness turned low or off? Lately I've been noticing certain games have some sort of in built sharpness, or such extreme detail that sharpness actually adds jaggies without really adding detail. A good example is KZ3, which looks a heck of a lot better with 0 sharpness and still looks tack sharp.

darthbob

For anyone else who purchased the Limited Edition, did you have any issues locating your Adam Fenix PPC?

Can't find it in this box. : /

AEREC

Neuromancer said:

Ive never heard earth mentioned in any gears game, and I dont read the books either, so I just assumed it was an alternate reailty or so far in the future that earth was forgotten, but I doubt it since they dont seem that advanced and there is no mention of space travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom