• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proelite

Truant said:
Disappointed in the image quality. The game is a jagfest on my 52" Samsung.

If you have an option to turn down sharpness for your tv, turn it all the way down.

Some tvs do the scaling well and others don't, if you're seeing jaggies in games such as Uncharted 2, God of War, or Call of Duty, then it's probably your tv.

The only place that I noticed jaggies in Gears 3 is when an object is up close to the camera and has a sharp color / lighting contrast with the background.

Apoc87

Banned
darthbob said:
For anyone else who purchased the Limited Edition, did you have any issues locating your Adam Fenix PPC?

Can't find it in this box. : /

I think your talking about the multiplayer download code.

It is on the back of the octus medal.

Truant

It's a new TV, so I'll check out the sharpness thing!

Also, I have my 360 set to 1080p. Should I set it to 720p instead? The TV should work in both modes.

Tawpgun

I will say one thing about the sawed off.

It is balanced.

Mathematically on paper it is BALANCED.

But that does not make it a good design decision.

Mainly because its far too easy to DESTROY someone. Anybody can run up or hide behind a wall and blind fire the sawed off for an easy kill. You get into a flow with the rest of the weapons. Rifles to soften up or down at range, gnasher fights CQC, fight for power weapons, and then something like the sawed off just feels so out of place. It breaks the flow of combat and is not fun to go up against.

Proelite

Truant said:
It's a new TV, so I'll check out the sharpness thing!

Also, I have my 360 set to 1080p. Should I set it to 720p instead? The TV should work in both modes.

You should set it to 720p and see if the TV's scaler is better than the 360's scaler.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I will say one thing about the sawed off.

It is balanced.

Mathematically on paper it is BALANCED.

But that does not make it a good design decision.

Mainly because its far too easy to DESTROY someone. Anybody can run up or hide behind a wall and blind fire the sawed off for an easy kill. You get into a flow with the rest of the weapons. Rifles to soften up or down at range, gnasher fights CQC, fight for power weapons, and then something like the sawed off just feels so out of place. It breaks the flow of combat and is not fun to go up against.

What drives me fucking BONKERS is when I get the drop on someone with the Lancer's chainsaw and they're able to SOS me, even though my saw is fully revved and I caught them by surprise.

Fahrenheit said:
I wish the UPS man would hurry up :(
Are you serious? If you were meant to recieve it yesterday, holy fucking shit, man. Can anyone tell me how a physical store is worse than this? You've got 100 stores with copies waiting for you within a 50 mile radius, yet you're still waiting for UPS to bring you one a day later.

Okay, final act spoilers...
That battle against Myrrah is the first one I'm actually having trouble with. The fuck. THERONS EVERYWHERE, and my squad just keeps forcing her next attack pattern without even fucking blinking at them. Great A.I. work there.

tuco11

Anyone got some good horde mode strategies/tips? Cant hole up in a room with 2 boom shields anymore like Gears 2 horde lol!!

thanks.

renitou

Dark Octave said:
Are you serious? If you were meant to recieve it yesterday, holy fucking shit, man. Can anyone tell me how a physical store is worse than this? You've got 100 stores with copies waiting for you within a 50 mile radius, yet you're still waiting for UPS to bring you one a day later.
Physical stores have tax and don't give me $20 gift cards for buying the game from them. I also received my game at 10 am on release day, for what that's worth. :p

Final act spoilers;
Okay, srsly, anyone have any tips for that battle against Myrrah? It's driving me insane, having to replay the same goddamn section over and over and over because Epic didn't feel the need to include another fucking checkpoint.

tuco11 said:
Anyone got some good horde mode strategies/tips? Cant hole up in a room with 2 boom shields anymore like Gears 2 horde lol!!

thanks.

I've been looking for a horde strats site as well. There was a discussion about Drydock earlier though if you want to look for it. Just a few pages back.

Blue Ninja said:
Okay, final act spoilers...
That battle against Myrrah is the first one I'm actually having trouble with. The fuck. THERONS EVERYWHERE, and my squad just keeps forcing her next attack pattern without even fucking blinking at them. Great A.I. work there.

not as bad as that it is yet another Hammer-o'- Dawn bossfight (yes, butthurt over Gears 2 ending, I know, but after all that criticism on it I though that another one in Gears 3 was perhaps not the best way to do a bossfight this time around. Even if the Hammer isn't used anywhere else, really).
The Therons are easy to take out though, except that deathray keeps ruining your day and not the A.I.'s

moai

matchmaking sucks, i suppose it's great for people in the us or europe, you don't get matched with people from other regions, but every time i search for a match i have to wait 5 to 10 minutes and then i get the "not suitable match found" and get thrown to a all-bot match.
many people here are complaining about this, same problems from gears 2, you can`t find matches. southamerican gaffers, do you have this kind of problem?

Ffuuuu this has been sitting in my garage since last Thursday but I didn't even realize it because I wasn't looking for such a big box! Thanks, Cliffy!

125tnh3.png

equil

Does playing a ranked match unlock the flaming retrolancer? Because I changed my camo at the ranked lobby and i was able to choose flaming retrolancer skin.

Someone test it out.

Sanic

I want to play on my other xbox. How is data saved? Locally or on a server? What, if anything, do I need to transfer to the other Xbox?

Gary Whitta said:
Ffuuuu this has been sitting in my garage since last Thursday but I didn't even realize it because I wasn't looking for such a big box! Thanks, G]
Cool, but who put it in your garage then?

You could have been busting since thursday...

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Got my gold skins after rebooting 3 times yesterday.

All in all, this game will be my top for a while.

ONLY issue i've come across so far; My ribbon page is glitched, says i haven't viewed them all.... but i have damnit!!!

Edit- Anyone have a spar Dom, Baird or Grenadier code?

Zeitgeister said:
not as bad as that it is yet another Hammer-o'- Dawn bossfight (yes, butthurt over Gears 2 ending, I know, but after all that criticism on it I though that another one in Gears 3 was a bit like a giant finger to the -valid- complaints. Even if the Hammer isn't used anywhere else, really).
The Therons are easy to take out though, except that deathray keeps ruining your day and not the A.I.'s
Fuck, I give up. Shit like this makes me angry. I ran out of ammo, multiple times, right as that bug-fucker starts humping that tower. From what I can tell, your squad doesn't even fire on the damn thing, either, or else they all got distracted by the shit-ton of Theron Guards that I can't even swiftly deal with because I have no ammo or grenades left. It's making me relive the RAAM-days, so I'm calling it a day before I break my controller. :lol Gonna try some Horde mode instead, I think, cool off a bit.

Volimar

Okay, don't read because spoilers. Just gonna put the whole thing in there.

Loved the campaign! I had prepared myself for something happening to Dom, but when it did I was still surprised because it wasn't close to the end of the game and that's when I figured it'd happen. Also, yay Carmine! Also, I found myself actually happy to see Jack operational again. Anyone else? And now I'll have to keep reading the upcoming books to see if they answer the questions that were left...

I hate to do be a d-bag, but is there anyone out there willing to part with a 48 hour code? Really want to give it to my brother so we can play some online horde/beast. Cliffy, why you no give us 48 hour code with the game?!?!

Moaradin

All I need now is the Grenadier and I'll have all DLC characters!

Game looks great but since I'm running it on my 1080p monitor, I can really notice the jaggies.

equil

dmg04 said:
Got my gold skins after rebooting 3 times yesterday.

All in all, this game will be my top for a while.

ONLY issue i've come across so far; My ribbon page is glitched, says i haven't viewed them all.... but i have damnit!!!

Edit- Anyone have a spar Dom, Baird or Grenadier code?

There's a glitched Ribbon that is supposedly related to the Event that's going on. It has a strange file name for a name, and it seems to be unlocked randomly. If you get this, you will have a semi-permanent exclamation mark on your ribbon section (restarting the game seems to get rid of this) and you unlock the Flaming Retro.
Found this on google.

Everyone is so good in multiplayer. I barely reach the better half of my team most of the time--definitely never first! I might need to go back to Halo Reach for a bit just so I feel better about myself. lol

Moaradin said:

Game looks great but since I'm running it on my 1080p monitor, I can really notice the jaggies.

I have Kantus (Amazon!) and Dom (Gaffer!), but I still 'need' Grenadier and Baird. Those ones are pricey though, geez. Think I'll just wait and see if they get cheaper a few weeks from now.

EDIT: DAMN, wish I could accidentally unlock the Flaming Retro!

Rimfya

Banned
I am completely okay with the opening week noobs on Gears. I am terrible at MP yet went 12-0 last night, got ribbons for 10 kills without dying and 3 headshots without dying.

I don't know. Multiplayer just feels kinda sloppy to me. And I'm not talking about net-code or polish, just the general design of it.

If MP played like single-player or horde mode, that kind of back-and-forth battle for cover, then I think I would love it. But it doesn't. It plays like Quake in third person with rolling... everywhere.

Not for me.

Horde mode 2.0 however? Godly.

Volimar

Moaradin said:

I usually play on my HD monitor, but since I was playing splitscreen with my brother, we played on the standard def TV so we could see better. I'm not a graphics snob, but man i missed my HD.

Rimfya said:
I am completely okay with the opening week noobs on Gears. I am terrible at MP yet went 12-0 last night, got ribbons for 10 kills without dying and 3 headshots without dying.

Teach me. :( I do really well in campaign, no matter the difficulty level, but multiplayer is a different story.

Grisby

Goddamnit Cliffy, you got me. End of Act 3.

Major Spoilers:

Dom. Goddamnit, I think I shed a tear. Didn't help that mad world started playing. Damn it.

tsigo

The game seems super polished, so I was disappointed that they're using the system-wide mute setting to mute people in lobbies. Muting an entire lobby will display the pop-up message for about 45 seconds straight, it's super annoying.

Volimar

FateBreaker said:
Everyone is so good in multiplayer. I barely reach the better half of my team most of the time--definitely never first! I might need to go back to Halo Reach for a bit just so I feel better about myself. lol

Play the ranked games. It will take several matches, but eventually the skill matching system will start putting you with similarly skilled opponents.

Thanks Grisby, will do.

Proelite

Blue Ninja said:
Fuck, I give up. Shit like this makes me angry. I ran out of ammo, multiple times, right as that bug-fucker starts humping that tower. From what I can tell, your squad doesn't even fire on the damn thing, either, or else they all got distracted by the shit-ton of Theron Guards that I can't even swiftly deal with because I have no ammo or grenades left. It's making me relive the RAAM-days, so I'm calling it a day before I break my controller. :lol Gonna try some Horde mode instead, I think, cool off a bit.
How much is a shit-ton?

Grisby

I think I'm gonna make a spoiler thread. I mean, why not? I'd like a place to discuss the ending in a more open fashion anyways (well, for when I beat it).

What do you guys think?

Volimar said:
Play the ranked games. It will take several matches, but eventually the skill matching system will start putting you with similarly skilled opponents.

Thanks Grisby, will do.

Thanks, I'll try that. I figured I didn't even want to do "ranked" because it sounded even more intimidating. Do you have any general tips in versus?

I'm at the part where I'm still trying to get a grub zeppelin, I end my game & look at where I'm at & I still haven't finished Act 2, even though I'm close to 6 hours of playtime.
There are 5 Acts in total!

The art design, the level design & the set pieces are just on another level from Gears 1 & 2 & they were f'n great. GOTY by far.

Carm

Finally, my console came in the mail. Can anyone help me out real quick? I already have a gamertag because of GFWL on the pc, do I create a new one and just input the same info or recover the gamertag on the console?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom