• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willeth

Genesis Knight said:
Yeah, same thing happened to me today. I'm like at 17; jumped on for a quick game before class and boom, unlocked. Odd.
It's down to the way the game checks for unlocks. The first time you load it up on any given day, it scans your player data and checks if you've met any of the criteria. If not, it won't check again until the next day. Even if you've played first-week and unlocked the gold Lancer and Hammerburst, the game won't check for it automatically, just set the flag in your player data. Then, when you load it up the next day, it checks your player data, gives you the skin.

Kaizer said:
This is my first Gears game, first 360 game in fact as I just bought one today! Gotta say it's pretty awesome, I've enjoyed the Wii & PS3 but it was finally time to get a 360, couldn't resist the Gears series any longer.

I plan on playing the story modes of the first two Gears games soon, but for right now I'm not really connected w/ the storyline, the characters are awesome though. Loving the feel of the gameplay but I've still got a lot to learn.

Why didn't you play the first two first if you wanted to get into gears?

JB1981

Act 3 Chapter 1 holy shit!

the campaign is great but i could use a little more gameplay variety and some downtime here and there.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
The new Horde mode is obscenely good.
Like "This could have been the full game and I'd be 100% satisfied" good.
Yup, I finally got to play some Horde tonight. Great fun even though we got blown up at level 10. :(

def sim

We're towards the end of act 4 and we are enjoying the shit out of this game. So much laughing over fuck ups and stupid monsters.

Best co-op game I've played in ages.

LEGGZZZZ

PepsimanVsJoe said:
The new Horde mode is obscenely good.
Like "This could have been the full game and I'd be 100% satisfied" good.

It really is. I just need to find out how to adjust the difficulty level during public matches like in Gears 2 social. I can't imagine playing Horde 2.0 on Hardcore or Insane, will be extremely challenging but awesome.

Willeth said:
It's down to the way the game checks for unlocks. The first time you load it up on any given day, it scans your player data and checks if you've met any of the criteria. If not, it won't check again until the next day. Even if you've played first-week and unlocked the gold Lancer and Hammerburst, the game won't check for it automatically, just set the flag in your player data. Then, when you load it up the next day, it checks your player data, gives you the skin.

cabot said:

Certain character/weapon unlocks are the only thing that carry over. The only medal is the Beta Tester medal. Any other medals/executions/etc were beta-only. Did you delete your beta save file? Is that file still on your xbox HDD? Did you get the day one title update?

cabottemp

Banned
Genesis Knight said:

Certain character/weapon unlocks are the only thing that carry over. The only medal is the Beta Tester medal. Any other medals/executions/etc were beta-only. Did you delete your beta save file? Is that file still on your xbox HDD? Did you get the day one title update?
i deleted the beta and the beta save file :(

JMizzlin

Despite having actually played the beta I didn't unlock my 'played the beta' medal :(

I have a beta game save on my HDD but I deleted the actual beta itself. Could this be why?

cresto

Eye Drop said:
Despite having actually played the beta I didn't unlock my 'played the beta' medal :(

I have a beta game save on my HDD but I deleted the actual beta itself. Could this be why?
Reload the game a few times and it should kick in

LEGGZZZZ

Sallokin said:
If I stop Horde at round 30 will I be able to pick it up again from there or do I have to start all over?

Start all over if your playing public. Make sure you hit select in the horde lobby if you want to change your game settings to joinable by the public.

Eye Drop said:

No. I deleted the beta (not the save) but I have the medal. It didn't unlock until I got the Title Update that came out on the 20th. Did you download that?

Kaizer

Banned
dreamer3kx said:
Why didn't you play the first two first if you wanted to get into gears?
Well I wasn't even planning on getting a 360 at all today, it was just spur of the moment, GameStop didn't have Gears 1 or 2 in, plus I wanted to play the MP everyone else will be having fun with rightaway. I'm definitely ordering the Triple Pack though.

JMizzlin

Genesis Knight said:
No. I deleted the beta (not the save) but I have the medal. It didn't unlock until I got the Title Update that came out on the 20th. Did you download that?

I did. Weird.

Guess I'll do what ergo said and reload the game.

I'm also having a weird time with the disc being installed. I installed it day one before I started playing it, but occasionally it boots and the disc is still whirring heavily. I have a 360 Slim and this has never happened before. I'm currently re-installing it to see if it helps.

No affect on the awesome gameplay though, thank goodness.

Eye Drop said:
I did. Weird.

Guess I'll do what ergo said and reload the game.

I'm also having a weird time with the disc being installed. I installed it day one before I started playing it, but occasionally it boots and the disc is still whirring heavily. I have a 360 Slim and this has never happened before. I'm currently re-installing it to see if it helps.

No affect on the awesome gameplay though, thank goodness.
The disc spins for a while as an anti-piracy measure.

kiryani

I love playing against people with sawn off shottys online.

Keep your distance enough and they won't hurt you + it takes them 20 minutes to reload.

Ok, so I just got 25+ kills in two TDM games and WE STILL LOST

I AM SO SICK OF RANDOM TERRIBLE PLAYERS

SOMEBODY GET ONLINE AND HELP KOOLAIDSHOTO OUT HERE

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Finally I feel like I've been able to have a proper game of Gears multiplayer since Gears 1. 2 was just unplayable for me and I never felt satisfied with a single match I played on it. Never worked properly, never felt right.

Tonight I remembered how kickass I used to be at Gears 1. I played 5 matches and got to 67 kills with a 2.0 KD ratio and had a blast throughout. Alot of people were just being idiots, rushing around gung ho getting torn to shreds. I'm tempted to cancel all plans and play as much Gears as I can before people start to get ridiculously good at it.

The only annoyance was when one team seemed to be spamming the sawn-off shotgun, I died to that like 10 times. Playing against it clearly isn't in my skillset yet - does it get easier?

I mean does it get to the point where you see what gun they're rocking and you know how to avoid it or stay alive?

Digger seems strange to use. People seem to dodge it fairly easily. Any tips on advanced usage?

Demoncarnotaur said:
I unlocked Thrashball Cole and met the criteria for getting him in the game but for some reason he hasnt unlocked.. Is this common or am I screwed? =(

Look a few posts above. Did you delete your Beta save file?

Heysoos

What's the deal with the beta weapon skins not unlocking? I know some people had luck going back to the dashboard and playing again, but it's not working for me. Trashball Cole is locked too. :/

Sorry, didn't realize the page is full of this. -_______________-

def sim

So I bought this from Amazon and I'm supposed to get the savage kantus costume right? When are they going to e-mail me the code?

Fallacy

Neo Member
Rimfya said:
Beast mode's kinda disappointing right?

Kind of annoying that the characters have super weak health, with super powerful weapons. Means you spend more time smashing barriers than killing enemies. Got through all 12 waves on the first try and it wasn't exactly fun. Not sure I'll bother again.

Should have just been reverse Horde 1.0, no need for barriers and crap.
I couldn't disagree more what difficulty were you on? I had to do several rounds 2 or 3 times and i was just on hardcore. If you make money and buy the right beasts barriers shouldn't be a problem either, I think they add another layer that would be missed if they weren't there. It would certainly be 5 times easier without barriers.

Anyone else playing it in 3D? I'm giving it a try, the 3D effect is pretty cool but you lose a lot of brightness in what is already a dark game.

Just beat act III. Gears has finally got a story worth telling but more importantly, worth remembering. Hopefully Epic has some single player DLC planned for us along the line of "Road to Ruin" from Gears 2.

Meisadragon said:
It's a bit short though, but yeah,
Shooting missiles with a slow moving turret is boring as hell

It's
boring, slow, and pointless. Mainly, though, the level design itself bothers me - you can rotate in all directions as the sub is also moving, so when you need to do something really important like shoot the mines, getting a frame of reference as to where the mines are can take way too long. It's like trying to play Shattered Horizon on rails. It doesn't help that the torpedoes and torpedo launchers are blue and white, in a blue and white environment.
Ugh. Thank goodness it was short.

-Mikey-

Played with PXG and 2 others (gaffers?) for a bit tonight. KotH seems like the game mode to play for points. Getting thousands of points and tons of kills. Really awesome.

Rolling around with a good crew against randoms is hilariously lopsided.

What are everyone's thoughts on the included maps? Currently my only opinion is that Sandbar could use some tweaking. The fact that two Longshot's spawn on the level with the center mountain allowing free reign of the battlefield is kind of frustrating.

BigJiantRobut said:
Man, this
underwater segment
is fucking terrible.

I didn't think it was too terrible because it looked so pretty. It might be pretty shallow but the combat got into a series of continuously escalating skirmishes that I was happy to have a break. If it was difficult then I think it would have been a real problem.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
BigJiantRobut said:
It's
boring, slow, and pointless. Mainly, though, the level design itself bothers me - you can rotate in all directions as the sub is also moving, so when you need to do something really important like shoot the mines, getting a frame of reference as to where the mines are can take way too long. It's like trying to play Shattered Horizon on rails. It doesn't help that the torpedoes and torpedo launchers are blue and white, in a blue and white environment.
Ugh. Thank goodness it was short.
Yeah, I was expecting a boss fight with that giant thing. Glad they didn't go that route and it was just a dumb chase.
The next Act is pretty much the best one though, so you'll forget about this.

Spirit of Jazz said:
I didn't think it was too terrible because it looked so pretty. It might be pretty shallow but the combat got into a series of continuously escalating skirmishes that I was happy to have a break. If it was difficult then I think it would have been a real problem.

See, that was my problem. It didn't feel like a break because
GUESS WHAT THE WILDLIFE DOESN'T LIKE YOU! HA HA HA

Malo

Banned
-Mikey- said:
Played with PXG and 2 others (gaffers?) for a bit tonight. KotH seems like the game mode to play for points. Getting thousands of points and tons of kills. Really awesome.

Rolling around with a good crew against randoms is hilariously lopsided.
At around what time? I was playing KOTH with PXG and I assume a couple of gaffers as well a couple of hours ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom