• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jaguar said:
Hold LT over their body when you're right next to each other and you can give them ammo, money, or trade weapons.
So you aim at them with your gun and the options pop up? Cool, I'll have to try that.

Jaguar

I used the Hammerburst about 80% of the time in the beta, but I'm rarely using it now in the full game. I feel the Lancer with it's large magazine + quick active reload to be much more effective, at least with my playstyle. Only time I really use the Hammerburst is on large maps like Sandbar and maybe Overpass.

I just finished act 3 and I gotta say this is by far the best action game I've ever played in my life. I'm not a die hard Gears fan, but god damnit is this game balls to the wall. I hate how cliche the word 'epic' is. If nobody used that word on the internet like they do, I'd use it to describe this game.

end of Act 3 spoilers
I literally had my jaw to the floor at that end cutscene. Once they showed Dom, I knew what he was going to do, but I couldn't believe it, not even as it was happening. The mad world theme was just top notch and implemented at the right time. I could feel myself getting teary eyed and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I just felt so bad for Marcus, you know? For such a bad ass one-dimensional character, Dom was really all he had.

Cliffy, if you get a chance to read this, I really want to thank you for making one of the most entertaining games I've played in a long time, and I still need two acts to go.

Teknoman

mandiller said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong. But isn't that the whole point of the sawed-off shotgun? It doesn't have any other purpose than super close gibbing. I don't see why you'd get up someone for using a weapon in the only way it can be used..

Meisadragon said:
Yeah, and if the guy misses the shot, its pretty much over for him if you're good enough.

Heh there are always people that are going to be annoyed by a certain weapon. A few posts back, someone was beating up on a team of SOS rushers with the lancer. Actually got a hate message about using a rifle so much.

Another thing that's great with the Sawed Off is when you're being rushed by the other team and a well-aimed smoke grenade goes off and stuns them...then you roll right in and kill 2 or 3 with a single shot. Amazing.

Xanadu said:
wow, its weird how off screen shots sometimes makes games look better, gears 3 looks amazing but not that level, at least not on my screen

Get a better screen.

Also, trading Savage Kantus or ComDom for MechBaird or the Walmart preorder skin! C'mon ;__;

haha a lucky break in mp today, grabbed the digger and went to do a back roll but instead it made me do a front roll and i shot it straight into a guys body. RIP

also i agree with someone saying fuck snipers, fuck them, luck they headshot me when i am rolling 0_o

Xanadu said:
wow, its weird how off screen shots sometimes makes games look better, gears 3 looks amazing but not that level, at least not on my screen

Yeah, I think it's because the off-screen-ness gives it more AA and starker contrast. I haven't gotten to that part yet though so I don't know what it looks like. Actually I have yet to even start campaign!!!

Been sitting here for 10 waiting for a Beast mode match..

I hate matchmaking so much.

Yeah we couldn't get one last night either. No one is playing it?

Teknoman

After all this time I thought the people of Sera colonized the planet from Earth, but actually it's something similar to Star Wars, where its just people on another planet/ in another galaxy with no knowledge of Earth?

Rez said:
I'm up to act four. I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying this.

I do have one major complaint, though. In Gears 1, if I recall correctly, it felt like there were fewer enemies, so when you heard a Boomer it really meant something. It seems like this game both has WAY too many enemy types and throws too many of them at you at once. I'm not building up that same "ah, my old enemy, the Boomer/Theorn Guard/..." relationship I did from the first game. Everything seems to go down quicker and as a result all the enemies are blurring together more. There's no relationship between the enemies and I, if that makes sense (and doesn't sound completely ridiculous). Think the difference between the enemies in RE5 versus those in RE4.

It's a really fascinating situation, if nothing else.
I understand what you mean. In the previous games the locust were more organized and there was a hierarchy (Ex. Drone -> Theron -> Kantus) but since the events at the end of Gears 2 (won't spoil it for those who haven't played), it seems like the locust are unorganized and there isn't such a clear cut chain of command, save for the queen who everyone knows is boss nova. Just my thoughts.

Teknoman said:
After all this time I thought the people of Sera colonized the planet from Earth, but actually it's something similar to Star Wars, where its just people on another planet/ in another galaxy with no knowledge of Earth?
More or less, yes. Think of it as an alternate universe. Multiverse theory perhaps?

Sobriquet

rance said:
uh oh

I delete my spam folder religiously. I'm hoping they haven't sent it to me yet because I pre-ordered on the 19th but I get the feeling I messed up.

Exact same deal here. Ordered on the 19th, got the game yesterday. Not sure if I deleted the code from my spam folder, or if I just haven't gotten it. :/

Dacon

Banned
I fucking love Horde 2.0.

If there is something more satisfying than taking out two fucking Berserkers then I haven't come across it yet.

Ya know, I don't think I've been killed by a Retro all day. Glad that's over. Sawed-Off isn't so bad, usually when I get killed by we both trade shots and die, or they sneak up behind me and then it really doesn't matter, might own fault for bad situational awareness.

Rimfya

Banned
Anyone else have their progress reset? My brother lost all his campaign progress, ribbons, level and everything. We'd beaten the campaign too.

Teknoman

MCXC Pioneer said:
More or less, yes. Think of it as an alternate universe. Multiverse theory perhaps?

Yeah came across that when I was trying to explain what Gears was about to someone a few minutes ago. We checked the wiki and found entries about early periods with sword and chariot combat, not to mention looking at how the vehicles look sort of "old school".

george_us said:
The new emergence holes are baller as fuck.

Was just about to post this. Love seeing Locusts bust out of the ground or Lambent mutating on the fly
wtf natural flamethrowers that keep moving after you kill the main body
. Makes me want to watch The Thing for some reason.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GOD DAMN.

I just went solo and fucking schooled some loud mouth kids.

BTW if you're going to straight out take downs because you're worried about KDR, don't bother sending me an invite. I can understand shooting a down in the heat of battle, or because there is a enemy near the down, but I won't play with people who just take kills.

Dark Faze said:
Hammerburst needs nerfing.

I just schooled a team who was fighting me and a bunch of randoms with it. They ran their mouth, then I shat all over them. It's definitely an awesome weapon if you have the trigger finger.

Dabanton

MCXC Pioneer said:
I understand what you mean. In the previous games the locust were more organized and there was a hierarchy (Ex. Drone -> Theron -> Kantus) but since the events at the end of Gears 2 (won't spoil it for those who haven't played), it seems like the locust are unorganized and there isn't such a clear cut chain of command, save for the queen who everyone knows is boss nova. Just my thoughts.

Yeah one of the characters mentions how disorganised they seem after a battle with them.

Teknoman

Alienshogun said:
BTW if you're going to straight out take downs because you're worried about KDR, don't bother sending me an invite. I can understand shooting a down in the heat of battle, or because there is a enemy near the down, but I won't play with people who just take kills.

I wont straight take a down from someone, but if people are about to revive a guy and everyone is in the middle of a firefight, i'm going to aim for the guy thats down.

I can sorta understand "kill stealing" in Gears, but i'll hear people complaining about it in games like Halo and Uncharted...which makes no sense.

EDIT: By take a down, you mean if for instance, me you and another guy caught another player alone, you downed him, then someone else just ran up and stomped him, even though we werent in danger?

BobDylan

anyone want to play some ranked matches with me and another gaffer. we havnt played one ranked match yet but have been playing quick play for a little bit. so far with just us 2 playing we are 9-1. let me know. gamertag gbfan513

BobDylan said:
anyone want to play some ranked matches with me and another gaffer. we havnt played one ranked match yet but have been playing quick play for a little bit. so far with just us 2 playing we are 9-1. let me know. gamertag gbfan513

I'mma send you a FR, getting back on now

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Teknoman said:
I wont straight take a down from someone, but if people are about to revive a guy and everyone is in the middle of a firefight, i'm going to aim for the guy thats down.

I can sorta understand "kill stealing" in Gears, but i'll hear people complaining about it in games like Halo and Uncharted...which makes no sense.

EDIT: By take a down, you mean if for instance, me you and another guy caught another player alone, you downed him, then someone else just ran up and stomped him, even though we werent in danger?

The guys I typically play with know when to take a down, and when not to. There's hardly ever "accidental" kill stealing. If someone puts most of the damage in and I down them I know to give them the kill. The problem is, especially when I play with anyone outside my group, people shoot at whatever is crawling on the ground because they are so worried about their KDR.

That's not to say that there isn't a time and place to take kills (like when they are surrounded by other members of their team) but that's not what I'm talking about.

You will know the types when they brag about their KDR on the forums. Those are the people to watch out for.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-PXG- said:
So....Savage Theron not unlocking....

Bugged? I'm pretty sure mine's unlocked. I forget the requirement though.

HawksWinStanley said:
As of right now all the weapons feel about as balanced as they can realistically get. Once Epic starts messing with the weapons more it turns into a slippery slope.

True, lancer is fucking beast too. Glad to see hardly anyone is using the retro though.

I wonder if perhaps that will become the new "skilled" weapon what with the "recoil" and all.

Spasm

Demoncarnotaur said:
Nope, weird. =/
Day 2 and no unlocks for me yet.

I started up the game yesterday with an empty beta save. Whoops. Replaced it with the 100% unlocked beta save today before firing the game up and no dice. I think because mine's kind of a unique situation, I'm ultra-screwed.

RedSwirl

If there's one word I would use to describe this game, it would be "variety".

Gears has always felt more varied than other modern console shooters in terms of weapons, enemies, and level design - you always feel like there's something going on besides just shooting guys with guns. Gears 3 continues that but also has probably more modes than I will ever fully explore. Even the game's color pallete looks a lot more vibrant than the original Gears.

Proelite

Fighting
lambent berserk
under the moonlight is such a surreal experience, like a scene from a Stephen King novel on steroids.
Ambient light thrown off by said enemy is beautiful.

Teknoman

RedSwirl said:
If there's one word I would use to describe this game, it would be "variety".

Gears has always felt more varied than other modern console shooters in terms of weapons, enemies, and level design - you always feel like there's something going on besides just shooting guys with guns. Gears 3 continues that but also has probably more modes than I will ever fully explore. Even the game's color pallete looks a lot more vibrant than the original Gears.

Well it is Epic. They've usually got things on lock when it comes to weapon, enemy, and environment variety (Unreal, Unreal Tournament, and look at what happened when they teamed up with People can fly for Bulletstorm).

If this is what I have to look forward to when Mass Effect 3 hits (looking at engine improvements of course)...wow.

For multi player all I play is horde and I have to say I love that there are so many maps, and the boss fights and base building really make it so much better.

Alienshogun said:
True, lancer is fucking beast too. Glad to see hardly anyone is using the retro though.

I wonder if perhaps that will become the new "skilled" weapon what with the "recoil" and all.

I've actually been using it a lot more than I expected I would. It's basically a split between the retro and hammerburst for me, usually depending on the map. Close quarters like Trenches and Hotel are a retro user's wet dream, even with the recoil on the hipfire. It seems pretty manageable to me and I've still gotten a lot of downs with spray and pray.

RedSwirl

Teknoman said:
If this is what I have to look forward to when Mass Effect 3 hits (looking at engine improvements of course)...wow.
If only ME3 were running on this version of UE3... and the PC version used DirectX 11.

*sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom