• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEREC

LosDaddie said:
Gears 3 is easily in the top-tier for consoles, especially when you take the 4-player co-op into consideration.

Ill agree with that, I think GoW3 is a decent looking game when taken from a "whole package" point of view.

But it does feel like the 360 could barely handle this game at times.

AEREC said:
Ill agree with that, I think GoW3 is a decent looking game when taken from a "whole package" point of view.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Lunchbox

Banned
AEREC said:

what else do you want it to do with 512mbs of ram?

people forget so easily that we are talking about 2005 hardware

clav

AEREC

Marleyman said:
That is a BIT of a stretch.

It all depends on what you are used too...lately ive been used to playing games at 1080p with 4x AA enabled.

GoW3 on my TV is running at 720p with no AA...therefore it's jaggy as hell.

AEREC

Lunchbox said:
what else do you want it to do with 512mbs of ram?

people forget so easily that we are talking about 2005 hardware

Ya I realize that, and I guess it is impressive that this game looks the way it does and still runs on dated hardware. But it also makes me realize it's time for a new generation of consoles.

Just finished the SP campaign on hardcore on my own.
Can't wait for insane 4 player co-op.

Games was clearly easier than the last game on hardcore.
I had no real trouble going though the game.

But for now its horde time for the rest of the next couple of years :D

Grisby said:
Played some horde last night and got to wave 16 before most people quit. So there's no social
in eh? Damn, its like ODST all over again.
yes their is but its off by default, press select on the lobby to activate it I read on a few pages ago.

ultron87 said:
Locust are way more fun to fight than Lambent to me. Mostly because the Longshot is sooooo much more useful and fun against Locust.

Same. I like executing downed locusts and the headshots and gibs are more satisfying to me. I also find the Lambent explosions kind of annoying.

AEREC

The Dutch Slayer said:
Just finished the SP campaign on hardcore on my own.
Can't wait for insane 4 player co-op.

Games was clearly easier than the last game on hardcore.
I had no real trouble going though the game.

But for now its horde time for the rest of the next couple of years :D

yes their is but its off by default, press select on the lobby to activate it I read on a few pages ago.

this is a little dissapointing...I just started act 3 on hardcore and was wondering when it would get harder. I guess it really doesnt though.

Just a quick sorry to the few people that invited over the past day or so. I had notifications turned off so I could just get through the campaign. Hopefully get a game with some of you at somepoint. Just need to get hang of the MP again.

AEREC said:
You should play more PC games then, the actual image quality in this game is terrible...the only impressive thing in this game is the lighting...other than that GoW3 is a clusterfuck of low-res textures and massive amounts of jaggies.

Im just starting Act 3 now so maybe it changes later but so far the game has looked a bit sloppy so far.
Maybe you need a better TV.

LosDaddie

Banned
joelseph said:
Get out of here with your illogical nonsense.. Gears 3 is at the top of Console graphics this generation and is super fun to play.

Agreed. Gears3 is clearly one of the best looking games on consoles.

Is it just me or does this look MUCH better than the previous Gears games? I've really been blown away by the graphics and lighting, so many moments where you just have to stop and appreciate it. Amazing stuff. Definitely one of the best-looking games I've ever seen on a console.

Also I'd forgotten how much fun Horde mode is. What a blast, especially with all the new additions. Got to lvl35 on the beach level with a five-man group last night and it was just wall-to-wall awesome, can't wait to play a lot more. Is there a GAF friends Gamertag I should know about? I can see myself playing a lot of Horde.

In other Gears news I tried playing in 3D. The 3D effect works well but it makes the game too dark overall, it's too hard to see stuff that you really need to see, especially in a firefight, and you just don't get to appreciate the beauty of the graphics nearly as much. I turned it off, much better IMO.

yeah I'm evil and part of the problem....

I purchased the pulse skin but I do not see it on the list of skins for my weapons.
Do I need to do something before its there to choose or?
Gary Whitta said:
Also I'd forgotten how much fun Horde mode is. What a blast, especially with all the new additions. Got to lvl35 on the beach level with a five-man group last night and it was just wall-to-wall awesome, can't wait to play a lot more. Is there a GAF friends Gamertag I should know about? I can see myself playing a lot of Horde.
In the OP you see 3 TAGS you can join for GAF people.

Going to play some horde tonight (EU timezone) I'm looking forward to it.

It looks great, but i still think Uncharted 2 and God Of War III look better. Uncharted 3 will probably blow this away. I do like that they finally added some color to this game though.

Jrmint

What's the best way to beat the double berserker horde boss wave? That shit was crazy hard last night at level 30 (double health and accuracy) even with a full group.

Fuuuuuccckk, stuck at school all day, wanna play and beat the damn game. Got to where
Mad World piano plays
during campaign, which of course leaves me really really wanting to continue. Does this game have a good pay off?

Ok, so on the MP front, I really like the maps, but I wish there were a larger variety of environments. I absolutely LOVE what they are doing with the engine with lighting and color in this game, but I still want some rainy/dreary and or snowy environments. I really liked the tone of past gears games, which had a very moody style. Mix that in with the new current style and boom, greatest variety ever. Damnit though, I want more maps already!

So yeah, I am really enjoying Gears 3, and I am actually not sucking at it like past gears games.

Gary Whitta said:
Is it just me or does this look MUCH better than the previous Gears games? I've really been blown away by the graphics and lighting, so many moments where you just have to stop and appreciate it. Amazing stuff.

Ive noticed this too. And thats not to say the first two werent lookers or anything, because they are some of the best looking games this gen IMO. But this third one just looks amazing and incredibly polised. Another thing Ive noticed is how good the sound is as well.

The Wise Old Man said:
And it sure as shit won't be free. This is when DLC really pisses me off: WE'VE ALREADY PAID FOR THE MAPS ONCE when they were included in GOW1/GOW2. Now we have to pay for the privledge of playing them again? Irritating. This is a major reason why online numbers dwindle for most games after a few months. The fanbase gets fragmented/alienated by ripoff attempts from publishers.

I dislike the fragmentation that any paid map packs cause to the online community. I hated having so many different playlists for all the different map packs in Gears 2. There are plenty of other ways to monetize the game (multiplayer character skins, weapon skins, campaign DLC, avatar items, in-game cosmetic changes, etc.) so why not release new maps as part of title updates to keep people interested in the game? This is part of the philosophy that Valve follows and it has been very successful for them.

If free DLC is coming, hopefully it will include some free maps that can be used in the standard playlist(s) that everyone can enjoy.

mbmonk

Infamous Chris said:
Question to anyone who bought the LE console:

Does the DLC come inside the game case?

Yea. In my game case there was a card for Alex Pheonix skin and some weapon skin. Codes were on the back it.

I really wish there was custom community lobbies where we could all meet up and once so many people were ready to place, it should ship them into a game and keep the lobby alive. With three different GAF gamer tags and the way its set up, Ive tried for 2 evenings to play with some GAFers to no luck.

Am I really the only one who's been trying to play this in 3D? I feel like the depth effect is worth it but the dim colors are an issue. Someone suggested turning up in-game brightness, has anyone had luck finding settings that work well for them in 3D?

Moofers

I need some help fixing my chat issues. First off, I can hear "Party" members just fine. The problem is when I get into "Game" chat and I can't hear any of my teammates. I see the little speaker icons flashing, so I know they are talking, but I can't hear them.

To make it more confusing, last night I was in a party with one of my friends. I can hear him just fine. Then we realize our Horde teammates are talking, so we leave our party and enter game chat. Now I can hear my friend, but nobody else. My friend can hear everybody.

So whats going on here? I'm thinking I must have some setting checked where I only hear friends? But I can't find anything in the stupid console menus OR the Gears 3 menus that would fix this. Any advice? I really need to hear people because I'm going to be playing a lot of PUB Horde games....

Moofers

Moofers said:
I need some help fixing my chat issues. First off, I can hear "Party" members just fine. The problem is when I get into "Game" chat and I can't hear any of my teammates. I see the little speaker icons flashing, so I know they are talking, but I can't hear them.

To make it more confusing, last night I was in a party with one of my friends. I can hear him just fine. Then we realize our Horde teammates are talking, so we leave our party and enter game chat. Now I can hear my friend, but nobody else. My friend can hear everybody.

So whats going on here? I'm thinking I must have some setting checked where I only hear friends? But I can't find anything in the stupid console menus OR the Gears 3 menus that would fix this. Any advice? I really need to hear people because I'm going to be playing a lot of PUB Horde games....

Bumped for new page.

Also, I'm going to set up a Horde game at 12:30pm Central time if anyone is interested. I'm planning on going all the way to 50. GT is Uno Ill Nino if interested.

Sanic

Having a bit of trouble in an early section of Act II

I need to get into a locust fortification without them setting off the alarms. I get to what I assume is the last section and I shoot the guard the game tells me to. A moment later, the alarm sounds even though I don't see anyone else to shoot. Am I missing something?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Pandoracell said:

I need to get into a locust fortification without them setting off the alarms. I get to what I assume is the last section and I shoot the guard the game tells me to. A moment later, the alarm sounds even though I don't see anyone else to shoot. Am I missing something?

There's two guards/alarms there. You also can set it off and just kill everyone.

AEREC said:
You should play more PC games then, the actual image quality in this game is terrible...the only impressive thing in this game is the lighting...other than that GoW3 is a clusterfuck of low-res textures and massive amounts of jaggies.

Im just starting Act 3 now so maybe it changes later but so far the game has looked a bit sloppy so far.

PC master race jealous? I do believe so.

2th

Banned
So thanks to Infamous Chris for the Savage Kantus. Traded him my Mechanic Baird. Gotta love dealing with honest people!

2th

Banned
Pandoracell said:

they give you a a one shot and some sniper rifles so you can always snipe them as they go for horns. I think there are a total of 3 horns and the first guy is easy to just pick off with a rifle. after that just move forward slowly and snipe the guys on top of the barricades.

Gary Whitta said:
Am I really the only one who's been trying to play this in 3D? I feel like the depth effect is worth it but the dim colors are an issue. Someone suggested turning up in-game brightness, has anyone had luck finding settings that work well for them in 3D?

I saw on the back of the box that it was 3D compatible, was really curious how it looked with a game this nice looking.

mbmonk

See You Next Wednesday said:

Depending on the PC, of course, it would/will have better graphics. It's not an opinion.. it's reality. So I am not sure what exactly he would be jealous of. Other than the game not coming out on PC... which is a bitch because this game is top notch.

:-( <--- Sad PC gamer face

Dosia

See You Next Wednesday said:
I actually agree. I just built my first gaming PC a few months back and after playing crysis and witcher 2 the graphics in gears are nothing special. Im also playing gears on a 65vt25. Love me some gears though and I hope to play it for 2 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom