• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played it the other day. Campaign was a bit stale to me. Didn't finish it though. Hopped on multiplayer and had a blast. Feels better than 2, still not as good as 1.

I think the problem is "cliff" (and his devs) dont like it being a shotgun game. Well, it should be. Gears is a bloody visceral mess. So all other weapons besides Power weapons (and the shotgun) are not going to give you that feeling. The shotgun battles in 1 were like a beautiful tango. The shotgun was the lead, the star, and all other weapons were important, but supporting cast. When you have such a bloodthirsty game, your game needs to focus around the one weapon that delivers that gore riddled experience up close and personal.

That is the shotgun. But, I also realize that Cliff will never understand that's why 1 was so successful. I can still enjoy 3 for what it is. Certainly it will never be as great as 1, but I had a really good time with 3. Much better than 2. But still suffers from the problem of being more of an assault rifley game, which doesnt satisfy the bloody carnage that the whole games premise is based upon.

Lastly, are there any new weapons in MP besides the ones featured in the beta? And is there a map list I can look at? It felt like there were only 6 maps when I played.

charsace

Finally got the hang of dealing with SOS users. Distance with the lancer or hammerburst or smoke and then flank and shotty them works wonders.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
I played it the other day. Campaign was a bit stale to me. Didn't finish it though. Hopped on multiplayer and had a blast. Feels better than 2, still not as good as 1.

I think the problem is "cliff" (and his devs) dont like it being a shotgun game. Well, it should be. Gears is a bloody visceral mess. So all other weapons besides Power weapons (and the shotgun) are not going to give you that feeling. The shotgun battles in 1 were like a beautiful tango. The shotgun was the lead, the star, and all other weapons were important, but supporting cast. When you have such a bloodthirsty game, your game needs to focus around the one weapon that delivers that gore riddled experience up close and personal.

That is the shotgun. But, I also realize that Cliff will never understand that's why 1 was so successful. I can still enjoy 3 for what it is. Certainly it will never be as great as 1, but I had a really good time with 3. Much better than 2. But still suffers from the problem of being more of an assault rifley game, which doeskin satisfy the bloody carnage that the whole games premise is based upon.

Lastly, are there any new weapons in MP besides the ones featured in the beta? And is there a map list I can look at. It felt like there were only 6 maps when I played.

Shotgun, now shotguns, are the stars of the show still. You just have to be more crafty now in how you get in to use them, which should have always been the case.
In GOW1 you could just road run through lancer fire from across a map and gib someone. Now that's impossible to do against a competent player.

LosDaddie said:
He seems mad about it. :lol

He does indeed. Have you seen how many preorders Gears 3 got? Sony is saying UC3 is the most anticipated when it doesn't even have HALF the preorders GoW3 has. Technically MS is right on this one compared to Sony who seems desperate to compete in PR.

Heysoos

Pachterballs said:
GOW3's difficulty on hardcore is like easy mode in Gears 1. Maybe the end boss will be a pain in the ass as I seem to have read here but its been a cakewalk so far and as a gamer who relishes a challenge; the lack of - is sort of disappointing.

Because everything seems so easy - even when I finally got the hammer of dawn and that other weapon in the room - the enemies you had to use them on wasn't really a challenge and it didn't feel wow

The torque bow enemies used to be such a challenge in Gear 1, but here, with so many other players to distract them, they have become a C-tier enemy that offers no resistance. The weapon is still awesome but the bow guys aren't a challenge.

Hardcore became so much easier because the AI will pick you up when you're downed now. I know I got downed quite a bit of times, that would have meant death if you were playing alone in the other games.

Okay. I've just started Act IV, but so far, Act III is by far and away my favorite act in the campaign so far. Probably my favorite act of all the Gears campaigns. The beginning and ending really seal the deal.

The beginning is epic and makes you feel like you're a part of a grand battle. The ending, with Dom's death, was handled very well. The use of the Mad World song was brilliant.

charsace

Heysoos said:
Hardcore became so much easier because the AI will pick you up when you're downed now. I know I got downed quite a bit of times, that would have meant death if you were playing alone in the other games.
The game isn't easier. They just made the AI better. Funny that people used to complain about the AI and now that they've fixed it folks think the game is too easy.

charsace said:
Finally got the hang of dealing with SOS users. Distance with the lancer or hammerburst or smoke and then flank and shotty them works wonders.

Shotgun, now shotguns, are the stars of the show still. You just have to be more crafty now in how you get in to use them, which should have always been the case.
In GOW1 you could just road run through lancer fire from across a map and gib someone. Now that's impossible to do against a competent player.

Oh you mistake my distaste for a lack of strategy. Im really good at the game. I have a 2.0 KD ratio in my stats and I usually go like 15 - 3 or 4 in TD. Execution is a bit different.

LosDaddie

Banned
Infamous Chris said:
He does indeed. Have you seen how many preorders Gears 3 got? Sony is saying UC3 is the most anticipated when it doesn't even have HALF the preorders GoW3 has. Technically MS is right on this one compared to Sony who seems desperate to compete in PR.

What was the final preorder total?

I really hope Gears3 sells the 5M+ that Epic/MS are hoping for. This game is so polished. The extra 6mos dev time definitely helped

Heysoos

charsace said:
The game isn't easier. They just made the AI better. Funny that people used to complain about the AI and now that they've fixed it folks think the game is too easy.

Sure the AI might be better, but, don't you see how the AI picking you up, instead of it meaning death, makes the game easier? Now you don't have to be as cautious about getting killed because more times than not the AI will pick you up.

___

Neo Member
One thing that hasn't changed since the beta; I still hate the sawed-off. Besides that, I love this game.

Moofers

Man, they need to put up some kind of in-game message that tells people about Berzerkers being invincible unless set on fire. I was in a Horde game last night that was going awesome until we hit 3 berzerkers at wave 30. Everybody died but one player and two berzerkers. Our player ran around for 15 minutes while everybody tried telling him over and over how to kill the berzerkers, but he just kept wasting ammo, running away, and doing it all over again. He just never got the fucking hint. I'm thinking he couldn't hear us, but still, they highlight the scorchers but apparently that's not obvious enough.

Like I said, we waited 15 minutes and it looked like he was never going to manage to kill them and they were never going to catch him, so we all dropped. At wave 30. It was such a waste.

Dave Long

Banned
It just occurred to me today that the last time my 360 failed was at the release of Gears of War 2. I had my system crap out two weeks ago. Coincidence?! I think not!

*sigh* I was kind of looking forward to playing 3.

LosDaddie

Banned
Moofers said:
Man, they need to put up some kind of in-game message that tells people about Berzerkers being invincible unless set on fire. .

FOR SURE. I was playing Horde with Marleyman last night, and luckily someone on the team used the flamethrower on them because we were just wasting ammo. I mean, I was searching/running around the map for a Hammer of Dawn, but my team was getting owned by the Berserkers until then.

.la1n

Infamous Chris said:

andherewego.gif

popcorn, etc etc

just died 8 times and all 8 deaths were SOS.

Good job epic, you had a winning formula with the solid servers, now you've fucked it all up again.

Getting killed like this is just as bad as host advantage

Moofers

LosDaddie said:
FOR SURE. I was playing Horde with Marleyman last night, and luckily someone on the team used the flamethrower on them because we were just wasting ammo. I mean, I was searching/running around the map for a Hammer of Dawn, but my team was getting owned by the Berserkers until then.

You know, I didn't even think about how you needed the hammer of dawn to kill them in previous games. I totally understand people thinking there must be one somewhere on the map. I hope somebody over at Epic realizes this and patches in some kind of pop-up message.

___

Neo Member
Moofers said:
Man, they need to put up some kind of in-game message that tells people about Berzerkers being invincible unless set on fire. I was in a Horde game last night that was going awesome until we hit 3 berzerkers at wave 30. Everybody died but one player and two berzerkers. Our player ran around for 15 minutes while everybody tried telling him over and over how to kill the berzerkers, but he just kept wasting ammo, running away, and doing it all over again. He just never got the fucking hint. I'm thinking he couldn't hear us, but still, they highlight the scorchers but apparently that's not obvious enough.

Like I said, we waited 15 minutes and it looked like he was never going to manage to kill them and they were never going to catch him, so we all dropped. At wave 30. It was such a waste.

Some friends and I went for the ribbon for doing wave 1 through 50 in one sitting last night, as well as the achievement. Our first wave 50 boss was two berzerkers and we had no clue how to damage them, so we ended up failing. We retried and got two berzerkers again, this time we tried to spawn a hammer of dawn, but got a scorcher, which reminded us of how the berzerker hates fire in Beast Mode, so we tried that, which of course worked, but we all somehow got downed. Next retry was a Brumak, which was awesome and scary at the same time. He spawned behind one of the pistol buildings on Sand Bar, so we thought, "Ok, cool. Let him be and we'll take out everyone else and deal with him." Wrong. Very wrong. He somehow managed to get into the top part of Sand Bar with us... The next retry was Reavers, which was easy as pie.

And by "tried to spawn a hammer of dawn" I mean my friend went to One Shot thinking if he bought it a Hammer would spawn shortly after, but instead a Scorcher did. Do they spawn Scorchers when it's a Berzerker boss round?

ultron87

Moofers said:
You know, I didn't even think about how you needed the hammer of dawn to kill them in previous games. I totally understand people thinking there must be one somewhere on the map. I hope somebody over at Epic realizes this and patches in some kind of pop-up message.

I think you could also stick them with grenades to kill them. I dunno if that is still true in 3.

LosDaddie

Banned
ultron87 said:
I think you could also stick them with grenades to kill them. I dunno if that is still true in 3.

I hate to ask, but how do you stick the grenade on the wall again? I bought some frag grenades, and promplty downed myself trying to stick it on the wall. :lol

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Anybody up for playing the campaign from the beginning? Gamertag is colingt255 and I have today free until 3 pm. Just got back into xbox live with a brand new elite, turtle beach headset, and GOW3. I would rather enjoy it with gaffers instead of whinny 13 year olds.

Moofers

LosDaddie said:
I hate to ask, but how do you stick the grenade on the wall again? I bought some frag grenades, and promplty downed myself trying to stick it on the wall. :lol

Just stand right in front of the spot where you want it, press B with grenade in hand. Also works on the floor if you are looking down.

Moofers

I'm going to play Horde for about an hour if anyone wants to find me. Gamertag is Uno Ill Nino and I'll be starting in about 5 minutes.

Raxus said:
Just to reiterate on the flashback DLC. They are maps completely remade for GoW 3. Not just weapon spawns but whole new locations and routes to open the maps up (If Blood Drive was any indication).
Blloddrive Remake doesn't look like there's been anything remade apart from design.

Am I the only one who'd like to see the active down from the sniper rifle back?

Marleyman

Banned
LosDaddie said:
That's cool. XBL was acting wonky for a lot of people yesterday.

I'll be on again tonight, starting around 9pm....until late...1am or so. I have tomorrow off work. So no need to go to bed early tonight.

Cool; I work tomorrow but I usually stay up late anyway.

LosDaddie

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
Anybody up for playing the campaign from the beginning? Gamertag is colingt255 and I have today free until 3 pm. Would prefer to play with gaffers instead of whinny 13 year olds.

I'm game, but not until tonight. :( I haven't played the campaign at all yet.

Moofers said:
Just stand right in front of the spot where you want it, press B with grenade in hand. Also works on the floor if you are looking down.

ah that's right. thanks!

Heysoos said:

hardcore became so much easier because 3x AI will pick you up. Its not so much the difference in AI; they would have anyhow if close enough - but with 3 of them near you - its practically impossible to die unless insta death.

and also with 3 x other bullet sponges running around distracting the enemies; easier game.

pr0cs

The Wise Old Man said:
And it sure as shit won't be free. This is when DLC really pisses me off: WE'VE ALREADY PAID FOR THE MAPS ONCE when they were included in GOW1/GOW2. Now we have to pay for the privledge of playing them again? Irritating. This is a major reason why online numbers dwindle for most games after a few months. The fanbase gets fragmented/alienated by ripoff attempts from publishers.
I don't understand why you think you should get them for free? Because the map layout is the same, or nearly the same (I'm sure a few will have tweaks) you think you should get them for free?

That's like saying "I bought Beatles album #1, I should get #2 for free". I would imagine a fair amount of work had to be done to maps from the previous games to bring them into the newest game engine. Why shouldn't the artists/developers be paid for that work?

The answer is, don't like it don't buy it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
vodka-bull said:
Blloddrive Remake doesn't look like there's been anything remade apart from design.

Yes, you're the only one.

The bigger round size means headshots are easier to pull off now (active makes larger rounds).

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
LosDaddie said:
I'm game, but not until tonight. :( I haven't played the campaign at all yet.
!

:( I wish. I seriously doubt I will be able to get any gaming in tonight. But I'll let you know if otherwise.

LEGGZZZZ said:
WTF at no Social Horde in Gears 3. Worst feeling in the world when half your team quits after making it so far. Don't tell their going to wait for all the map packs to release just like Gears 2. So disappointing, because otherwise, Horde is amazing... :(

supertears.gif

Only played Horde once so far, but what is the difference? Friends or people from invites can't join in?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
See You Next Wednesday said:
Only played Horde once so far, but what is the difference? Friends or people from invites can't join in?

Not sure, only played it once too, but from the sound if it, drop in drop out isn't in. Which is sad.

AEREC

Horsemama1956 said:
That's just one mode.

about half way through Act 3 and the graphics have actually blown me away at times. Really surprised they got all this done on the 360. Can't remember the last time I was this impressed with a game visually, even on the PC. Really having a blast with the campaign as well.

Glad they spaced out the Long Shot ammo, as it made the game too easy in previous versions once you found one.

You should play more PC games then, the actual image quality in this game is terrible...the only impressive thing in this game is the lighting...other than that GoW3 is a clusterfuck of low-res textures and massive amounts of jaggies.

Im just starting Act 3 now so maybe it changes later but so far the game has looked a bit sloppy so far.

___

Neo Member
Alienshogun said:
Not sure, only played it once too, but from the sound if it, drop in drop out isn't in. Which is sad.

There is drop in/drop out for private Horde, as we had people coming and going last night, but I don't know about standard.

darthbob

I don't really understand the complaints of people quitting in Horde. Most people don't have the time to spend with 50 waves, nor do they have the coordination or skill.

If you don't want others to quit, go in with a full party.

ultron87

Locust are way more fun to fight than Lambent to me. Mostly because the Longshot is sooooo much more useful and fun against Locust.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ultron87 said:
Locust are way more fun to fight than Lambent to me. Mostly because the Longshot is sooooo much more useful and fun against Locust.
This was my first observation when fighting lambent too. Headshots are relatively less incentivized cause you can pump less bullets than you would into regular locust and they'll splode anyways.

LosDaddie

Banned
Marleyman said:
Cool; I work tomorrow but I usually stay up late anyway.

Word

AEREC said:
You should play more PC games then, the actual image quality in this game is terrible...the only impressive thing in this game is the lighting...other than that GoW3 is a clusterfuck of low-res textures and massive amounts of jaggies..

Gears 3 is easily in the top-tier for consoles, especially when you take the 4-player co-op into consideration.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lambent are kinda weird. You're meant to go for chest shots more than anything.

Pachterballs said:
hardcore became so much easier because 3x AI will pick you up. Its not so much the difference in AI; they would have anyhow if close enough - but with 3 of them near you - its practically impossible to die unless insta death.

and also with 3 x other bullet sponges running around distracting the enemies; easier game.

Yeah, this is the key here. Gears 3 has 4 player co-op now, that means 4 players at all times are in the fight. 1/2 frequently had just 2.

The AI is also effective. They can be randomly effective at picking you up, but they actually do clear enemies, throw grenades(well), etc.

vodka-bull said:

I hope so. Active downs were the bullshittiest bullshit ever. The gears sniper is one of the few that's completely perfect, one bullet so you can't spam it like other games, and only effective actually going for a headshot in a game that's pretty mobile. It's still effective to play full map assist, but one v. one where someone picks up a sniper, shoots a wall, reloads and downs you for shooting your toe is fucking stupid.

joelseph

AEREC said:
You should play more PC games then, the actual image quality in this game is terrible...the only impressive thing in this game is the lighting...other than that GoW3 is a clusterfuck of low-res textures and massive amounts of jaggies.

Im just starting Act 3 now so maybe it changes later but so far the game has looked a bit sloppy so far.

Get out of here with your illogical nonsense.. Gears 3 is at the top of Console graphics this generation and is super fun to play. End of story, move along.

Marleyman

Banned
AEREC said:

That is a BIT of a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom