• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Papercuts said:
I actually like the Commando Dom skin a lot, but with the COG I like to switch a lot. I've been 100% Sam so far, but I usually change to a Carmine and stick with them for awhile. When I feel like mixing it up I change to Baird. I never do that with Locust; I was always RAAM/Skorge, and I'll now always just be the Savage Kantus in 3.

Yup, I always had my mains as Cole/Beast Rider, but I switched it up plenty in Gears 2 - and now with soooooo many more characters that I REALLY love, and I know I just can't stick with one anymore - probably gonna switch every few rounds & stuff...

Arjen

D4Danger said:
Got to Level 40 on Horde last night.

playing Old Town with no ammo, no money, and no buildings when a Brumak spawns by the water

that's ok, it doesn't seem to me moving. let's wait it out and... it's moving

42x5Q.jpg

We had the same on dry dock last night.
We'll just hide on the bridge, no way a Brumak can get up this bridge.
FFFFFFFUUUU, he's getting up the bridge, ruuuuuuuuuuuun.

Xevren

LEGGZZZZ said:
WTF at no Social Horde in Gears 3. Worst feeling in the world when half your team quits after making it so far. Don't tell their going to wait for all the map packs to release just like Gears 2. So disappointing, because otherwise, Horde is amazing... :(

I'm with you on that. I do love Horde but only having a couple of friends to play with means I have to stick it out with some randoms and usually they don't stay for a great deal.

Gowans

Xevren said:
I'm with you on that. I do love Horde but only having a couple of friends to play with means I have to stick it out with some randoms and usually they don't stay for a great deal.
The good thing about being a member here and the GAF Tags is that we can group up to play but yeah they dropped the ball, especially after Bungie added Firefight multi to Reach.

Horde is fantastic they should celebrate that with allowing matchmaking, maybe in a patch?

LEGGZZZZ

Gowans007 said:
The good thing about being a member here and the GAF Tags is that we can group up to play but yeah they dropped the ball, especially after Bungie added Firefight multi to Reach.

Horde is fantastic they should celebrate that with allowing matchmaking, maybe in a patch?

CliffyB Are you reading this!!??? :( Was the number one thing I was hyped about once Gears 3 released :/

LEGGZZZZ

Seriously though, some of the best moments I had in gaming were with Social Horde in Gears 2. I would click join, and sometimes join games with even higher difficulties (determined by the host's choice) and play into the wee hours trying to get to wave 50 on Hardcore and insane with randoms. If gears 3 got that exact same matchmaking system, it would become incredible.

Please Epic add in Social Horde in a Patch/Update :(

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Unknown Soldier said:
Marcus looks quite constipated on that cover.

If you've got the subwoofer for it, this game will pump the the surrounding block around your house full of bass.

Yup.

Act 2 Chap 3 (4?) spoiler

Fighting in the Locusts base there is a part, is it the horns they're blowing?
I dunno, but my stereo wasn't that loud and the bass coming out of the sub was deep. Shit was shakin' I tells ya. I made a comment to the two people I was playing co-op with and they too said their bass was quite intense. Love it.

-PXG-

abracadaver said:
I hope they bring back Kim, Tai and RAAM as playable characters for multiplayer. Especially Kim, he was always my favourite. Right now Im playing C. Carmine.

Also a lot of Locusts are missing as playable characters, why didnt they include them ? They are already on the disc as they are enemies during campaign and horde. I hope they patch them in, all it needs is a character pic for the select screen.

Are there Sires in Horde 2.0 ? Havent seen them yet
Raam and Kim were shown a leaked video. Tai and Skorge are definitely returning as well.

-PXG- said:
It's coming...

And it sure as shit won't be free. This is when DLC really pisses me off: WE'VE ALREADY PAID FOR THE MAPS ONCE when they were included in GOW1/GOW2. Now we have to pay for the privledge of playing them again? Irritating. This is a major reason why online numbers dwindle for most games after a few months. The fanbase gets fragmented/alienated by ripoff attempts from publishers.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Unless I am missing it, one feature sorely missing is looking at other players Medals and Ribbons, or am I just blind?

The Wise Old Man said:
And it sure as shit won't be free. This is when DLC really pisses me off: WE'VE ALREADY PAID FOR THE MAPS ONCE when they were included in GOW1/GOW2. Now we have to pay for the privledge of playing them again? Irritating. This is a major reason why online numbers dwindle for most games after a few months. The fanbase gets fragmented/alienated by ripoff attempts from publishers.

Agree. If you already own the maps then perhaps a small one off fee for 100msp or something when they're released again.

Lucky for me I didn't play much Gears 2 online as I didn't like it but I am loving this latest Gears. The dedicated servers have made so much difference.

Holy SHIT just fought my first few
Globbers? That what they were called?

Fucking INCREDIBLE!!!

It's like they just decided
"Isn't it cool when you can blow up an enemy? Yeah, okay, now how about if they ALWAYS blow up! And like four times consecutively!"

YEAH!!!!

-PXG-

I can access my main account from xbox.com but not the GAF tags...grrrrr. Fix this shit MS.

The Wise Old Man said:

Blood Drive has been confirmed. Clocktower, Jacinto, River and Day One are rumored, but from what I hear, are VERY VERY likely and pretty much certain. Plus there's Cove, Artillery, Aftermath, Rustlung and Azura

The leaked list from the beta has been spot on so far. It hasn't been wrong.

Oh, and you know damn well that shit won't be free. Come on.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The Wise Old Man said:

The only game to get it right IMO in a charge scenario was Halo 2

Let the hardcore people who want to play those maps really badly pay for the maps, over time the maps become free

It was a successful system

-PXG-

DopeyFish said:
The only game to get it right IMO in a charge scenario was Halo 2

Let the hardcore people who want to play those maps really badly pay for the maps, over time the maps become free

It was a successful system

It was. Pay now, or wait two months for it to be free.

Marco1

Suprised at the leaderboard numbers, the highest I can find is 700K in TD.
Surely there should be more people than that have already played online?

Had a small opportunity to play the multi yesterday. I was shocked at how quickly I found a game. I'm very pleased with my one experience. I might hold on to this game for a while.

Marco1 said:
Suprised at the leaderboard numbers, the highest I can find is 700K in TD.
Surely there should be more people than that have already played online?
That's just one mode.

about half way through Act 3 and the graphics have actually blown me away at times. Really surprised they got all this done on the 360. Can't remember the last time I was this impressed with a game visually, even on the PC. Really having a blast with the campaign as well.

Glad they spaced out the Long Shot ammo, as it made the game too easy in previous versions once you found one.

ultron87

Do ranked matches make it so dead teammates can't talk to living ones? It seemed a little silly that my mates in social matches can just call out enemy positions once they are dead in Warzone.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Just finished the campaign. Very enjoyable experience. The story was also alright.

Much much better than Gears 2 for me. I didn't even finish Gears 2 because it didn't grab me. But this one made me play through it in 4 sittings over 3 days.

I also liked the length, it didn't feel very padded. Graphics are great as well.

deviant1

I have an extra Infected Omen weapon skins code if anyone has anything they wanna trade for it. I'll take any character skins, except Adam Fenix and Savage Kantus. PM me if you're interested.

Also, this game met and exceeded all the hype. I'm almost done with the campaign and I've only played a handful of TDM online, but this shit is incredible. Amazing job Epic!

-PXG-

Jim Brown just said that the man-up rule is being removed in TU2. So it's going back to Gears 1/2 style stalemate rules.

bandresen said:
Just finished the campaign. Very enjoyable experience. The story was also alright.

Much much better than Gears 2 for me. I didn't even finish Gears 2 because it didn't grab me. But this one made me play through it in 4 sittings over 3 days.

I also liked the length, it didn't feel very padded. Graphics are great as well.

I played through Gears 2 and thought it was fun but not an experience I needed to go through again. The rest of the package was lackluster, and with long wait times to get into games, I traded it in a week later.

Haven't touched the Gears 3 single player but I'm hyped after reading the reactions in this thread.

Proelite

Tips for people who wants to make their campaign more challenging on hardcore:

Don't give boomshots to ai teammates. Trade away all their weapons for snipers and torque bows, they're terrible with them.

Microsoft's calling this game the "Most anticipated game of 2011". Yep, more anticipated than Syrim, Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, Arkham City, and all of that jazz. Wow.

Arjen

TheApatheticOne said:
Dumb noob question, at work and wanted to ask: "how do you 'spot' enemies?" Hadnt seen that feature in the previous two, just curious on how that works.

Aim at enemy, click left? analog stick

deviant1

Nora Kisaragi said:
Microsoft's calling this game the "Most anticipated game of 2011". Yep, more anticipated than Syrim, Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, Arkham City, and all of that jazz. Wow.

Probably because it's the only one among those games that's exclusive to 360.

deviant1 said:
Probably because it's the only one among those games that's exclusive to 360.

That's true. The only big anticipated exclusive microsoft has is Halo Anniversary really, and honestly, GOW3 is more anticipated than that. At least they admit it. (Bungie called Halo Reach GOTY 2010 and still calls it the "best game of 2010")

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-PXG- said:

Pervert.

The Wise Old Man said:

There will be some free DLC, what it is, we don't know.

LosDaddie

Banned
Marleyman said:
Yes sir.

Sorry about last night; I have no idea why my XBL connection shit the bed twice. I just gave up got some sleep.

That's cool. XBL was acting wonky for a lot of people yesterday.

I'll be on again tonight, starting around 9pm....until late...1am or so. I have tomorrow off work. So no need to go to bed early tonight.

Nora Kisaragi said:

What do you expect MS to say?

Raxus

Just to reiterate on the flashback DLC. They are maps completely remade for GoW 3. Not just weapon spawns but whole new locations and routes to open the maps up (If Blood Drive was any indication).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Nora Kisaragi said:

Well for me it was, and for some others that's definitely true. All those other games I'll wait for either to be gifted to me, or to be on the cheap.

Gears 3 is/was my most anticipated game of 2011.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Nora Kisaragi said:
Huh? Why would you even post that lol. They can call it whatever they want.

Proelite

Nora Kisaragi said:
The average anticipation of the average Gears fan is several times that of other games. Makes sense.

GOW3's difficulty on hardcore is like easy mode in Gears 1. Maybe the end boss will be a pain in the ass as I seem to have read here but its been a cakewalk so far and as a gamer who relishes a challenge; the lack of - is sort of disappointing.

Because everything seems so easy - even when I finally got the hammer of dawn and that other weapon in the room - the enemies you had to use them on wasn't really a challenge and it didn't feel wow

The torque bow enemies used to be such a challenge in Gear 1, but here, with so many other players to distract them, they have become a C-tier enemy that offers no resistance. The weapon is still awesome but the bow guys aren't a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom