• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rez said:
Maybe Epic gets amazing feedback from the general public regarding turret sequences or on-rail box sequences, but man, they were a shame in Gears 2 and they don't exactly suck less now.

haven't you played the onrail sequence yet? I mentioned it above (spoiler tagged) and its pretty.. pretty bad.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Pachterballs said:
haven't you played the onrail sequence yet? I mentioned it above (spoiler tagged) and its pretty.. pretty bad.
You're at the start of act four now? Prepare for a worst one.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Plasmid said:
Shot a guy with the gnasher point blank and he still fuckin chainsawed me.

I thought it lowered if you were shot?

Someone said on a previous page that they removed chainsaw recoil. Which is a shocking oversight if you ask me.

Plasmid

Superimposer said:
Someone said on a previous page that they removed chainsaw recoil. Which is a shocking oversight if you ask me.

This is bullshit honestly, allows for a lot of cheapasses to play the game and think they're good.

see5harp

Rez said:
I guess this is a lighting thing, but man, looking up at some of the buildings during the Cole section in Act 1 (and obviously throughout the game), there's something about them that makes them look massive. It reminds me of that bit right at the start of Crysis 2 when you walk out a gate onto a street between two skyscrapers (that's about all I've played of C2, unfortunately). Can anyone clearly articulate what it is I'm getting at here?

There are a lot of great landmarks throughout the game and in the MP maps as well. Playing Trenches and seeing the sun bleed through the edges of the huge crane is a pretty amazing effect. There's also a scene in act one where there's just a ton of smoke in the sky and it reminded me of the first time I saw next gen smoke in COD at the 360 launch. I do think Bulletstorm was the first UE3 game to really wow me with the outdoor stuff and lighting, but this game is running 4 player coop online so damn smooth and with so few hitches. Bulletstorm was not even half as polished playing multiplayer and that was just tiny little arenas.

Superimposer

Plasmid said:
This is bullshit honestly, allows for a lot of cheapasses to play the game and think they're good.

I'm holding out hope for TU2. I have a few other problems with the multiplayer but I'm struggling to recall them right now. They really should do something to balance out the sawed-off more, because everyone uses it forcing everyone else to use it if you know what I mean. Maybe reduce it to 2 rounds of ammo?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Plasmid said:
I would care if this was implemented for Multiplayer but if it's for campaign, then this will make the campaign for me and my friend more enjoyable. I love "just chainsaw" runs.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You can interrupt the starting rev of it. Basically the retro lancer once again completely fucking dominates close quarter; the gnasher leaves a gap for chainsaw revving.

Superimposer

So I'm about halfway through Act 2 now. Still great gameplay going on but I'm getting a little bit perturbed by the whole battle, battle ends, big huge creature, kill creature, Marcus goes 'whew that was close', you start doing something, ambush, ambush over, big creature, kill creature, another ambush thing

ShogunX

Stat Flow said:
Flashback Map Pack only going to have one map from Gears 1? Fuck that. I don't even remember any of the maps from Gears 2 because that's how awful it was. Admittedly, Clocktower is a great choice, but I'd like to have War Machine & Canals replace shit from Gears 2 (or added >_>).

Gears 2 had a lot of very good maps that all played very well when the game was finally fully patched and working. Security, Jacinto, Avalanche and Blood Drive were the standouts for me and I would like to see all of them brought back for number three.

so anyone think those huge special edition will come down in price clearance like what happened with halo and others?

I want the artbook but dont care about anything else, and no way am I paying $150 for it.

Superimposer said:
So I'm about halfway through Act 2 now. Still great gameplay going on but I'm getting a little bit perturbed by the whole battle, battle ends, big huge creature, kill creature, Marcus goes 'whew that was close', you start doing something, ambush, ambush over, big creature, kill creature, another ambush thing

I'm only halfway through Act 1 (Chapter 4 I think?) and I feel like they've at least really sold a sense of urgency to the stuff you have to do. I don't feel like I'm just bouncing between setpieces.

Hixx

What was all the cack about the last boss being hard on the last couple of pages? It took ages but it was really, really easy.

Couple of hours break and I can get stuck into the multiplayer, finally.

def sim

cleveridea said:
so anyone think those huge special edition will come down in price clearance like what happened with halo and others?

I want the artbook but dont care about anything else, and no way am I paying $150 for it.

I have never seen a ridiculously overpriced LE edition maintain their price after 6 months or so. So, yeah, most likely.

Havok

HixxSAFC said:
What was all the cack about the last boss being hard on the last couple of pages? It took ages but it was really, really easy.

Couple of hours break and I can get stuck into the multiplayer, finally.
That's the point. There's no sense of urgency or danger, it's just boring and tedious because it's twice as long as it has any right to be. I died once because the AI was too dumb to pick me up when I fell, it wasn't a difficulty issue. I never said it was hard, but that it dragged.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
does using a smaller character like Anya help? I mean Cole is so big I feel like I'm a bigger target.

lol since I got to level 18 the sos isnt so effective :[

Dosia

joelseph said:
These posts, why?! No one is attacking your Witcher 2 on the PC you built. Congratulations on being awesome and owning a 65vt25 haha.
I dont see what is so funny. I was simply agreeing with another poster and brought up my tv bc someone stated he should view on a better set. Like I said, I hope to play gears for a long time but when it comes to graphics its time for the next generation of consoles.

mbmonk

AlphaTwo00 said:
Question, does the Season Pass DLC cover single player DLC?

From a ShackNews Story
The Gears of War 3 Season Pass will entitle gamers to receive the first four installments of DLC "over the course of the next year," with the first release planned for November this year. The Season Pass will be available on the day the game releases, September 20th, for 2400 Microsoft Points ($30). According to Microsoft, the Season Pass represents a 33 percent discount on the regular price of the four add-ons. (That means we can expect the regular price to be 3600 Microsoft Points, or $45.)

Gears 3 DLC will encompass both single and multiplayer offerings. As a bonus, all purchasers of the Season Pass will get the "exclusive Liquid Metal Weapon Set" for free. You can see the Lancer in its Terminator 2-inspired glory above.

Source

AlphaTwo00 said:
Question, does the Season Pass DLC cover single player DLC?
Yes, it does. Also, I believe it's been confired that the SP DLC wont follow Delta Squad and Aisha Tyler will voice the this other squad's leader.

dagZ

AndresON777 said:
does using a smaller character like Anya help? I mean Cole is so big I feel like I'm a bigger target.

lol since I got to level 18 the sos isnt so effective :[

I'd say so just by playing the game, but I don't know if they actually have different hitboxes.

Superimposer said:

Yeah. As long as you get it revved without being shot you can barge through anything until you're downed.

EDIT: GAF, help me. I don't understand the Digger Launcher. Does it sense enemies and pop up from underground when it gets near?

ZeroRay

Final boss on Hardcore is kicking my ass. After she tries climbing the tower and summons her minions, it gets pretty damn hard. The third time she climbs the tower I can't focus on her because the enemies knock me down and Adam dies.

Anything I'm missing or do I just have to not die?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Genesis Knight said:
Yeah. As long as you get it revved without being shot you can barge through anything until you're downed.

EDIT: GAF, help me. I don't understand the Digger Launcher. Does it sense enemies and pop up from underground when it gets near?

Yeah, the digger will go until it finds someone, then pop out. It's hard to use effectively unless you aim up high and lob it far. Bonus points for directly hitting it with the arc so it drills into their chest.

ultron87

Papercuts said:
Yeah, the digger will go until it finds someone, then pop out. It's hard to use effectively unless you aim up high and lob it far. Bonus points for directly hitting it with the arc so it drills into their chest.

It does that!??!

*never going to fire a digger normally till I see it happen*

I love the GEARS gameplay in the campaign. I could seriously play it everday for months and not grow tired of it.

Speaking of the gameplay, Hammerburst kills are extremely satisfying in GEARS 3 especially popping headshots while aiming down the sights.

Papercuts said:

Okay, cool. But why is it not effective unless you aim up high? Does it not travel undergound as far if you don't lob it? (I would test this but I'm not at home.)

EDIT: Makes sense, thanks!

see5harp

Genesis Knight said:
Okay, cool. But why is it not effective unless you aim up high? Does it not travel undergound as far if you don't lob it? (I would test this but I'm not at home.)

Because people can see it coming from a mile away once it's underground.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
ultron87 said:
It does that!??!

*never going to fire a digger normally till I see it happen*
Yeah, it looks awesome too.

If you fire a digger close range (usually happens when someone runs up on you and you don't have time to switch your weapon so you just fire the digger) it'll automatically do that to them.

Mizzou Gaming said:
I love the GEARS gameplay in the campaign. I could seriously play it everday for months and not grow tired of it.

Speaking of the gameplay, Hammerburst kills are extremely satisfying in GEARS 3 especially popping headshots while aiming down the sights.
I feel the same way about both things. This is by far the best Gears Campaign, and it would still be even without 4 player co-op. I can't wait to unlock all the Mutators for Arcade Campaign.
Flower Blood
sounds delightful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom