• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

see5harp

Jadedx said:
10 back to back mid range shotgun blasts is not cheap? pffft!!!!

Dude the gnasher is nowhere near the SOS. Everyone I see using the SOS is complete garbage and still usually has a positive k/d, that ain't right.

ultron87 said:
It does that!??!

*never going to fire a digger normally till I see it happen*

Yep, and it's probably one of the most satisfying types of kills in the game. I recently pulled it off in Old Town. I was down by the digger spawn and an enemy was firing at me from the scorcher area up top. I just popped out of cover and hipfired a hail Mary digger at him and watched as it sunk right into his chest. Hilarious.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Jadedx said:
The gnasher is the cheapest gun in this game, my god.
Fuck nah. SOS is the worst offender. I am actually happy when I get killed by the Gnasher. Cause I'm like "Well at least this fucker isn't using the SOS, I can respect that"

I swear about 60-70% of my deaths are from the SOS >_>

Grisby said:
Beat Beast Mode. A lot of fun but you don't get much XP for it, :(.
Beast mode is pretty fun once you have enough people. However, 12 waves seems short. It seems like there could have been way more gameplay possibilities, but it all ends too quickly.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
That was some of the sickest shit I've ever seen. A humbling video.

Also, anyone figured the best mode to get XP yet? I'm hedging my bets on KotH or Horde, just trying to get to level 30 and get me some classic Baird like I used to play in Gears 1/2
Horde has been treating me well in the XP department. It just sucks playing Matchmaking because if the host leaves, it restarts the wave and you have to re-buy everything.

By the way, is there gonna be a fix for this?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The only way I can see someone respecting the SOS moreso than the Gnasher is if Gears 3 is their first MP Gears experience. For someone new, why not pick what is an insta-kill close-range weapon with a large spread? XD... :(

Ballistik

Man I wish I could record, I did in the past but it's just too much of a hassle with the setup I used to have. I would of had a really nice clip yesterday.

I was playing on Gridlock and I had just gotten the sniper. Two guy rushed me up the stairs and I blindfired, rolled back and immediately did a quick no scope. 2 Headshots. :D Stuff like this is impossible in Gears 2.

Jadedx said:
The gnasher is the cheapest gun in this game, my god.
???
I think it's perfect
My problem with the game is that every other weapon feels too powerful. Noone even bother using the gnasher, actually :/ It's all SOS and retro, retro and SOS, SOS and retro...

snack

Ballistik said:
Man I wish I could record, I did in the past but it's just too much of a hassle with the setup I used to have. I would of had a really nice clip yesterday.

I was playing on Gridlock and I had just gotten the sniper. Two guy rushed me up the stairs and I blindfired, rolled back and immediately did a quick no scope. 2 Headshots. :D Stuff like this is impossible in Gears 2.
Dedicated Servers <3

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The best thing about SOS users is how they all go on a flowchart. One of my favorite Gears 3 moments so far was on sandbar, I got the longshot and saw a guy camping on a pillar with it. He sprinted at me, I knew he was going to roll forward into shooting it, so I aimed down, shot, heard a POP and saw him immediately leave the game.

I am complete shit with the longshot but rolling headshots are the most satisfying thing ever.

I still haven't seen anyone really use the Retro, or at least kill me with it, and I'm level 28. Seems once that recoil went out, people just stopped spraying like dummies. I'm seeing all Lancer/Hammerburst on the rifle range, which is fine by me, since those weapons are godlike. I think the Hammerburst is "better", but I'm far more accurate and consistent with the Lancer(both with my aiming and my active reloads).

Yeah, regarding the SOS:

I'm pretty new to Gears. I never played multi until the Gears3 Beta, really. I'm trying to be a good player and develop my game so I'm going with the Hammerburst + Gnasher since they seem to be the 'skilled' weapons. But I am getting my ass kicked. I can't down people with the Hammy before they get to cover and I get rocked by SOS users when I roll the Gnasher. I'm not like straight-out-bad, and I can top the team when I run Retro + SOS, but it feels nooby.

Any advice? Should I keep trying to take the high road and stick with Hammy/Gnash or should I just do what it takes?

EDIT: Wait, the Lancer is worth something now? Isn't that gun super weak in Versus?

Papercuts

LeonSKennedy90 said:
I still haven't seen anyone really use the Retro, or at least kill me with it, and I'm level 28. Seems once that recoil went out, people just stopped spraying like dummies. I'm seeing all Lancer/Hammerburst on the rifle range, which is fine by me, since those weapons are godlike. I think the Hammerburst is "better", but I'm far more accurate and consistent with the Lancer(both with my aiming and my active reloads).

I haven't seen many retro users either, people are sleeping on it like crazy. I rolled with it in the beta but I actually think it's better now, albeit much less braindead. I started with the lancer/gnasher but now go retro/gnasher(unless it's a big map) and have maintained a 2.6 kdr. Shit just tears everyone up.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Genesis Knight said:
Yeah, regarding the SOS:

I'm pretty new to Gears. I never played multi until the Gears3 Beta, really. I'm trying to be a good player and develop my game so I'm going with the Hammerburst + Gnasher since they seem to be the 'skilled' weapons. But I am getting my ass kicked. I can't down people with the Hammy before they get to cover and I get rocked by SOS users when I roll the Gnasher. I'm not like straight-out-bad, and I can top the team when I run Retro + SOS, but it feels nooby.

Any advice? Should I keep trying to take the high road and stick with Hammy/Gnash or should I just do what it takes?

EDIT: Wait, the Lancer is worth something now? Isn't that gun super weak in Versus?

use whatever you like. It's your game.

there is no "high road"

ultron87

I use the Retro a lot. It absolutely rolls people at close range and it isn't that terrible at long range with really short bursts.

Ballistik

snack said:
Dedicated Servers <3
Seriously! What I've been amazed at is how the scoreboard in-game really tells who's good or not. I swear Gears 2 scoreboard had a correlation between your score and your ping haha

Papercuts

The thing with retro at range is that the bullets pack a punch, so you don't need to land that many. It's a downing machine.

ultron87 said:
I use the Retro a lot. It absolutely rolls people at close range and it isn't that terrible at long range with really short bursts.

Do you ever pull out your shotgun or do you just keep the Retro out for everything?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Papercuts said:
The thing with retro at range is that the bullets pack a punch, so you don't need to land that many. It's a downing machine.

If you've got an active reload as well it's absolutely lethal.

Papercuts

D4Danger said:
If you've got an active reload as well it's absolutely lethal.

Oh man, that shit isn't even fair. I actually feel bad with an active reloaded retro vs. a gnasher user running at me.

Thanks again to Skilotonn and Shadowlink for helping me get the Savage Kantus and Savage Grenadier Elite skins! These two look so awesome in game.

Ballistik

I roll with Lancer and Gnasher. I'm not planning on ever using the retro lancer or SOS in their current state. Downing and killing people feels cheap and therefore not satisfying for me. :/

Genesis Knight said:
Do you ever pull out your shotgun or do you just keep the Retro out for everything?
no point in pulling out a shotgun
retro kills everything at close and mid range
long range it still is powerful in short bursts

I like how easily you mow down SOS rushers, but it feels cheap honestly

vaelic

Banned
-Yeti said:
Horde has been treating me well in the XP department. It just sucks playing Matchmaking because if the host leaves, it restarts the wave and you have to re-buy everything.

By the way, is there gonna be a fix for this?
yea, that was a terrible design decision

Ballistik said:

Longshot is awesome in Gears 3. As long as you don't move around much you can no scope all day long.

Jadedx

Banned
Ballistik said:
I roll with Lancer and Gnasher. I'm not planning on ever using the retro lancer or SOS in their current state. Downing and killing people feels cheap and therefore not satisfying for me. :/
:/

pr0cs

I think the weapons are all pretty balanced, in close quarters type maps the SOS feels a bit much but only because that scenario really suits that weapon. On a large majority of the map it's use is really limited if you know to keep away, the range is pretty terrible.

I had a lot of luck with the retro last night, in execution it works pretty well due to the damage , downing guys. To be honest I think all the of weapons are good, it all comes down to how you play.

Ballistik

Jadedx said:
Downing and killing by spamming the retro is what I mean.

I do use both the lancer and hammerburst for mid to long range distance kills. To prevent enemies from capturing the circle in Koth, or from getting power weapons. Also works to separate enemies when they're rushing you if you start putting shots in them. It's useful and efficient.

SOS and retro are pointless to me for close range if I already have my superior Gnasher buddy with me. ;)

Jadedx

Banned
Ballistik said:
Downing and killing by spamming the retro is what I mean.

I do use both the lancer and hammerburst for mid to long range distance kills. To prevent enemies from capturing the circle in Koth, or from getting power weapons. Also works to separate enemies when they're rushing you if you start putting shots in them. It's useful and efficient.

SOS and retro are pointless to me if I already have my Gnasher buddy with me. ;)
gnasher can down a guy with 2-3 shots mid range, that's what I call cheap.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
shichishito said:
I don't follow why that is considered cheap.

The whole fucking game is so cheap. Using guns to shoot people? Cheap.

Jadedx said:
shot guns are not supposed to do that, they are close range weapons.

Science fiction, the shotgun can do whatever they want it to. All that matters is how it works in the context of gameplay, and that is very well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom