• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

quickwhips

This game is so good. I'm starting to think lancer is more fun then retro. But I love the hammerburst also. Why can't we carry 6 guns!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Even though videogames always make shotguns the close range killer they're actually able to hold that power a pretty decent distance.

The gnasher doesnt really pump 2-3 shots out quick enough to make it worth it from mid range(and if I have the retro you're fucking dead), it's more about getting close and instant gibbing or atleast 2 shotting.

Jadedx said:
shot guns are not supposed to do that, they are close range weapons.
Are guns supposed to have chainsaws on them?

Also, what do you consider mid range? I can't down people mid range with the gnasher. At the range I can down people with the gnasher in two to three shots, any competent player could easily down me with hammerburst or retro lancer WAY before I could down them.

mbmonk

Proelite said:
I take a break from GAF for a few pages and all these so called PC and PS3 graphics experts went on a D-day.

Seems like 360 defense forces are the ones riled up. They are the ones keeping this going.

Modern PC hardware can run games at higher resolutions and can handle higher degrees of anti-aliasing than 2005 console hardware. It's a fact; it's not a matter of opinion and you don't have to be an "expert" to make that statement.

Obviously graphics discussion in Gears thread is allowed as long as you agree it's the best looking game ever made. Other than that 'Shut your PS3 fan or PC a-hole" mouth..

Meh.. whatever.

Gears is a great looking game, and more importantly a great game to play.

Gnasher cheap? lol

Only time it is cheap is when you have a team of wall bouncers, but even then it is better to get killed like that then by that over powered SOS. Gnasher + Retro combo (if you can control it) is sweet!

cresto

Ballistik said:
Man I wish I could record, I did in the past but it's just too much of a hassle with the setup I used to have. I would of had a really nice clip yesterday.

I was playing on Gridlock and I had just gotten the sniper. Two guy rushed me up the stairs and I blindfired, rolled back and immediately did a quick no scope. 2 Headshots. :D Stuff like this is impossible in Gears 2.
Last night was fun. I definitely like doing ranked with a full party. So much more strategy and competition.

Papercuts

They should just have a hybrid of all three rifles. I want a hammerburst that shoots retro lances. That explode.

snack

Papercuts said:
They should just have a hybrid of all three rifles. I want a hammerburst that shoots retro lances. That explode.
I want a Retro Lancer that has range and recoil like that of a Lancer.

Plasmid

Holy shit the kids on the epic forums are fucking morons when it comes to beating the game and then understanding it.

And what the hell? There's no stat tracking for gears 3 on the website?

Proelite

mbmonk said:
Obviously graphics discussion in Gears thread is allowed as long as you agree it's the best looking game ever made. Other than that 'Shut your PS3 fan or PC a-hole" mouth..

If people are posting in this thread just to say something negative about the graphics, then it's really is the latter for me.

Teknoman

Whats up with my 360 deciding to start reading the Gears disc during gameplay, instead of playing from the install all of a sudden?

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Teknoman said:
Whats up with my 360 deciding to start reading the Gears disc during gameplay, instead of playing from the install all of a sudden?

Got a fat 360? Yep, it's to do with the new disc format. It will stop doing it about 2 minutes after launching.

Unless you're talking about in the middle of a session it suddenly starts up - can't help you there

Sanic

I don't want to be so bold as to claim that people who feel the gnasher is overpowered aren't playing the game correctly and using the right strategies, but... I dunno. Its hard for me to comment on that when I've been playing these games for 5 years. Everything seems balanced to me, but then, the gnasher IS gears. A cornerstone of the gameplay.

Teknoman

Superimposer said:
Got a fat 360? Yep, it's to do with the new disc format. It will stop doing it about 2 minutes after launching.

Unless you're talking about in the middle of a session it suddenly starts up - can't help you there

Fat 360, and yeah I just turned the game on...so I guess i'll wait to see what happens. Thought something strange might be happening with my 360 since I tried two other games, and they were quiet from the start.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Anyone else stuck in the 'Searching for matches, none suitable found' loop? Been trying to get a game for the past 10 minutes :\

quickwhips

Pandoracell said:
I don't want to be so bold as to claim that people who feel the gnasher is overpowered aren't playing the game correctly and using the right strategies, but... I dunno. Its hard for me to comment on that when I've been playing these games for 5 years. Everything seems balanced to me, but then, the gnasher IS gears. A cornerstone of the gameplay.

your totally right the game feels pretty balanced. I hope they keep everything the way it is at least for weapon damage.

Lothars

Pandoracell said:
I've been playing the game since Gears 1 but Gears 3 does the best job of evening out the gnasher, it's balanced way better than Gears 2 but than again I am glad we also have the SOS in the game as well.

Teknoman

Pandoracell said:

Yeah it seems like matches should play in stages most of the time. Start at long range, close in to mid, and then eventually you're in your enemy's face to use melee,saws,and shotguns.

If you dont like certain weapons, just hold your position at certain stages of combat. Plenty of weapons for each combat style.

Papercuts

dmg04 said:
Anyone else stuck in the 'Searching for matches, none suitable found' loop? Been trying to get a game for the past 10 minutes :\

Ranked or not? I just stick to player matches which happen amazingly fast.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
snack said:

I think it just happened, right about when he pops the first Longshot headshot. I realized I'm too old and without enough free time to be "good" at games online anymore. Guess its time to be frustrated at all those hyperactive kids online who keep owning me :\

Probably doesn't help that two nights in a row a friend and I swore we'd play Gears 3 until the wee hours of the morning, only to wuss out around 11:45PM. *sigh*

Still, this video was awesome and Gears 3 is incredible so far. Can't wait to finish campaign so I can attempt to sink my teeth into MP/Horde/Beast.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
ah so the retro is the cheap gun of choice now. will switch

what music if any do you guys play to?

tool seems to be my favorite to roll with atm

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Papercuts said:
Ranked or not? I just stick to player matches which happen amazingly fast.
Searching for quick TDM. Backed out a few times and now it's just staying at 'Searching for Matches'.

:|
GOTTA GET MY GEARS FIX!!!

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
dmg04 said:
Searching for quick TDM. Backed out a few times and now it's just staying at 'Searching for Matches'.

Happened to me a couple of times. What's your NAT?

Papercuts

I hope everyone picks up the retro and tries to just run around hip firing like the beta again so I can get tons of free kills. :3

dmg04 said:

Shiiit. I hope if there's any issues it's fixed when I got on after work.

BTW I'm still looking for the Savage Grenadier code, PM me if you've got them. I'll pay $$$, don't have any codes to trade.

EDIT: Got the Mechanic Baird skin, thanks ChiefEdiri!

-PXG-

I've been busy playing the campaign. I come back into this thread seeing platform wars and people bitching about the Gnasher. What the fuck is this?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Played a private game, went into ublic and got a game first try... I think the game had an issue reading my rank. When i logged off last night, it said i was a 22. When i got on today, i was back to 21 and had to re-view all of the unlocks i got last night from beating the campaign.

Hmmmmm....

Sushen

Jadedx said:
shot guns are not supposed to do that, they are close range weapons.
What do you mean? I use sniper rifle as shotgun and handgun as sniper rifle in Halo. Yeah, it's messed up.

mbmonk

Proelite said:
If people are posting in this thread just to say something negative about the graphics, then it's really is the latter for me.

As long as they have logical, relevant, specific reasons for their position then I don't see the problem with them only posting in this thread to say something negative. At least then you can disprove them, discuss merit of their points, etc.

Teknoman

AndresON777 said:
ah so the retro is the cheap gun of choice now. will switch

what music if any do you guys play to?

tool seems to be my favorite to roll with atm

In game stuff. Yeah there isnt much during the MP section of the game, but the end score board music always gets you ready for the next match, win or lose.

Speaking of music, the Gears series has always had some really great themes that really set the scene.

Completely noobish question here regarding the fortifications.

Explain the barriers to me-because it seems that the enemies try to disable the barrier, as opposed to walking through them-especially the crawling enemies. What is the best way to use them-and how many total would be best to set up at one time?

I desperately want to get the Sentry Gun...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Plasmid said:
This is bullshit honestly, allows for a lot of cheapasses to play the game and think they're good.

No, it's not and if they changed it they would have to add a stutter to the retro charge too.

The chainsaw is akin to a sawed off blast, only you're more vulnerable both while doing it, and while actually killing someone.

I played Gears 1 religiously and felt like a great player. I felt above average at the second game and hovered around a respectable 1.4-1.6 K/D before the anticipation of Gears 3 brought me back to the game after a years long hiatus. My K/D dropped to about a 1.2 in 3-4 weeks time and I felt mostly terrible at the game or rather that the game was terrible and I kept dying for stupid reasons.

Playing Gears 3 feels incredible and I walk away from most matches feeling pretty good but I can't seem to get much past a 1.0-1.1 K/D. I'm not sure if it's because of the shitty teams I have been paired with, my unfamiliarity with the game or something else entirely. I started thinking about ways that I can improve and it piqued my curiosity.

Please answer the following survey!

Age (18-24, 25-30, 30-50, 50+)?
What is your current rank?
What is your current K/D ratio and W/L ratio?
What gametype(s) do you play the most?
Is your team composition usually mostly randoms or mostly friends?
What are you sensitivity settings?
What starting weapons are you using?
What is your favorite weapon?
Any useful strategies you can share?

Here are my own stats since it's only fair:

Stats: 1.1 K/D, 1.0 W/L
Gametypes: Team Deathmatch, Capture the Leader
Team: Mostly randoms
Sensitivity: 20 Look, 15 Aim, 10 Zoom
Starting Weapons: Retro Lancer/Gnasher Shotgun
Favorite Weapon: Longshot (barely get to use it though)

Strategy:
This is just a general strategy but I tend to try and stay close to team members and go for the power weapons when I can, picking up any available frags and upgraded pistols along the way. I use the Retro Lancer to down rushers/SOS users and I'll pull out the Gnasher for medium-to-close shotgun battles with groups or individuals or to take out power weapon users.

Edit: Seemed a bit long so I shortened the survery. Please post! Especially curious about everyone's sensitivity settings in comparison to K/D.

I started hosting a co-op campaign with my friend and our progress wasn't saved to his save files. Is this how it was with other Gears games too? He has the achievements we collected along the way but he doesn't have any game saves to load up. I have to keep hosting the game in order for him to move on.

mbmonk

-PXG- said:
I've been busy playing the campaign. I come back into this thread seeing platform wars and people bitching about the Gnasher. What the fuck is this?

You are in the wrong thread this is "Console Wars 3 |OT| Enemies To The End"

:p

Plasmid

Alienshogun said:
No, it's not and if they changed it they would have to add a stutter to the retro charge too.

The chainsaw is akin to a sawed off blast, only you're more vulnerable both while doing it, and while actually killing someone.

I feel like you use the chainsaw enough to where this would bother you.

I've yet to chainsaw anyone since gears 2 TU 5 or so.

Moaradin said:
This game can get so intense from all the wall bouncing and active reloading you have to do in a sticky situation.

I have trouble wall bouncing in this game. The maps seem a lot more open and my character a lot less "sticky".

Why am I doing this?

Scientific questions about your gaming environment:
Age (18-24, 25-30, 30-50, 50+)? 22
What region are you in (e.g. southwest, southeast, midwest, northeast, etc.)? Midwest
What internet service do you have (download and upload in MB)? 12 MB / 5 MB
Is your connection wired or wireless? Wired.
What is size and type of display are you using and how far away do you sit? 42" plasma, 6 feet away.
Headphones, TV Speakers, or Home Theater sound? Tritton AX PRO
Do you play with the lights on or the lights off? off
Do you listen to music when you play (e.g. iPod, custom soundtrack, etc.)? Iron Maiden or other metal/electronic, but usually not.
How much sleep on average do you get per night? 7 hours
Do you work a full-time job? 20. 14 credits at college, 20 hrs/week internship.
How much time per week do you spend playing games on average (including weekends)? Usually only one weekdays for two hours or so, then maybe 3 hours on Friday and Sat each. Another hour on Sunday probably.

Gameplay related questions:
What is your current rank? 21
What is your current K/D ratio and W/L ratio? 1.0 K/D, I think W/L is 1.5 or something.
What gametype(s) do you play the most? Team Deathmatch right now but my favorite is Capture the Leader.
Is your team composition usually mostly randoms or mostly friends? Usually one friend + randoms.
What are you sensitivity settings? Default. Haven't played with them yet. I think they need turned up.
What starting weapons are you using? Hammy+Gnash but it's not working. I get more kills with Retro + Gnash.
What is your favorite weapon? Retro.
Any useful strategies you can share? Haha, I'm in no position to do that. Tag frags onto grenade spawns and use flame nades as a primary.

mbmonk

Application filled out below:
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Scientific questions about your gaming environment:
Age (18-24, 25-30, 30-50, 50+)? 30-50 range
What region are you in (e.g. southwest, southeast, midwest, northeast, etc.)? South East
What internet service do you have (download and upload in MB)? 3 down, 1 up
Is your connection wired or wireless? Wired ( Bonus Points?: I play on a wired controller as well)
What is size and type of display are you using and how far away do you sit? 32in, 1 - 6 feet depending on computer chair or recliner.
Headphones, TV Speakers, or Home Theater sound? Headphones
Do you play with the lights on or the lights off? On
Do you listen to music when you play (e.g. iPod, custom soundtrack, etc.)? No music. Makes it difficult to sound whore.
How much sleep on average do you get per night? 7
Do you work a full-time job? Yes
How much time per week do you spend playing games on average (including weekends)? 10 - 20

Gameplay related questions:
What is your current rank? Level 15; I don't know my rank on the leaderboard
What is your current K/D ratio and W/L ratio? K/D 2.0 (played on the "casual" level for awhile); W/L 1.0
What gametype(s) do you play the most? TDM
Is your team composition usually mostly randoms or mostly friends? Randoms
What are you sensitivity settings? default
What starting weapons are you using? Hammer + Gnasher mostly
What is your favorite weapon? Boomshot :p
Any useful strategies you can share? Secret

EXTRA BONUS POINTS: I am already on your friends list from SF4 PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom