• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed the game, sounded like a fucking rocket was about to take off :D

But my friend wants me to wait for another 12 HOURS so we can co-op... but I just have to play it. Right now. Had a quick MP match though, the visuals are glorious... right up there with your Uncharteds and Crysis'.

mbmonk said:
EXTRA BONUS POINTS: I am already on your friends list from SF4 PC!

I can never find enough people playing this on PC when I'm in the mood to play. :/

I'm going to host a party tonight and I'll send an invite for some Gears multi later if you want to join me.

FHIZ

Damn it... well... played through Act 3, and here I was getting all emotional.

If it wasn't bad enough that Dom dies, which quite frankly, as soon as I saw the title of the chapter I thought "uh-oh," but as soon as "Mad World" kicks in, its just YANKING at your heart strings.

Damn you Cliffy B! Damn you!

mbmonk

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I can never find enough people playing this on PC when I'm in the mood to play. :/

I had to give fighting games up. I am destine to stay a scrub in them for the rest of my life. So I have SF4 on PC but I don't play it.

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I'm going to host a party tonight and I'll send an invite for some Gears multi later if you want to join me.

I would love to play tonight, and I should be on. Looking forward to it. Do you use the mic? I typically don't because I don't know the maps well enough to do call outs.

Grisby

FHIZ said:
Damn it... well... played through Act 3, and here I was getting all emotional.

If it wasn't bad enough that Dom dies, which quite frankly, as soon as I saw the title of the chapter I thought "uh-oh," but as soon as "Mad World" kicks in, its just YANKING at your heart strings.

Damn you Cliffy B! Damn you!

As soon as I saw that achievement pop up I thought the same thing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Plasmid said:
I feel like you use the chainsaw enough to where this would bother you.

I've yet to chainsaw anyone since gears 2 TU 5 or so.

Actually I'm a hammerburst abuser. I'm just letting you know why it's "not OP."

mbmonk said:
I would love to play tonight, and I should be on. Looking forward to it. Do you use the mic? I typically don't because I don't know the maps well enough to do call outs.

Yep, I use the mic. If I'm playing alone or outside of party chat I don't typically ever use my mic though. Not real big on trash talking and have little patience for trolls.

FHIZ

Grisby said:
As soon as I saw that achievement pop up I thought the same thing.
yeah, I mean, I can't say that it wasn't expected, but it was just a beautifully done scene, that was completely unexpected from a game like this, in my opinion at least. Hats off to Epic for making me actually care about these characters over three games to be totally bummed when one of them dies

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
I'm all new levels of enraged. Now had this game for 6 days and done one act. With a game this anticipated by me, I thought I'd be done by like Monday or Tuesday at the latest. But my friends just are cunts.

/vent

Amir0x

Banned
finally going to start this bad boy. Hope it turned out alright, the campaign at least... I've learned my lesson to wait at least a month before starting the multiplayer with how janky Epic's Gears games are around launch :p

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Can't stop laughing

played ring around the rock with this guy for like 3 minutes straight, then stood still -while he was trying to snipe me with a damn gnasher- and hammered him. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Wow, I was an ace with the Longshot today. Sandbar is quickly becoming my favorite map. Nailed three headshots in seven seconds while hunkered down on the beach.

-PXG-

ConradCervantes said:
Wow, I was an ace with the Longshot today. Sandbar is quickly becoming my favorite map. Nailed three headshots in seven seconds while hunkered down on the beach.

Ewwwwwwwwwwww

Hey, it's the only map where I'm a true baller thus far!

Superimposer said:
Got to be Hotel or Thrashball

I've only played on Thrashball once, but Hotel is good too. Played a few rounds of KotH and the other team was rocking SOS, so they were easy pickings once they missed and rolled away.

I'll bite:

Scientific questions about your gaming environment:
Age (18-24, 25-30, 30-50, 50+)? 25-30 range
What region are you in (e.g. southwest, southeast, midwest, northeast, etc.)? Northeast
What internet service do you have (download and upload in MB)? 20 down, 4 up
Is your connection wired or wireless? Wireless
What is size and type of display are you using and how far away do you sit? 22in, 1 - 6 feet
Headphones, TV Speakers, or Home Theater sound? Speakers
Do you play with the lights on or the lights off? On
Do you listen to music when you play (e.g. iPod, custom soundtrack, etc.)? No music.
How much sleep on average do you get per night? 7
Do you work a full-time job? Yes
How much time per week do you spend playing games on average (including weekends)? 10 - 20

Gameplay related questions:
What is your current rank? Level 27 or so
What is your current K/D ratio and W/L ratio? K/D 2.7, W/L 11.3
What gametype(s) do you play the most? KotH
Is your team composition usually mostly randoms or mostly friends? 2 Friends, 2 Randoms usually
What are you sensitivity settings? 15 all around
What starting weapons are you using? Lancer and Gnasher
What is your favorite weapon? Gnasher
Any useful strategies you can share? Controlling power weapons always gives you the upper hand

Hixx

I've only played on Hotel, Gridlock (suppose it dont really count but yeah) and Mercy and they're all ace maps. Obviously the beta ones too, Thrashball is a much quicker map now with the extra aisles. Absolutely nobody seems to bother with the concourse though for some reason.

Still nothing quite like headshotting someone with the Gnasher, turning round and seeing someone rolling to you and via a pure reflex gibbing him too. And I'm not even good at the game.

Teknoman

HixxSAFC said:
I've only played on Hotel, Gridlock (suppose it dont really count but yeah) and Mercy and they're all ace maps. Obviously the beta ones too, Thrashball is a much quicker map now with the extra aisles. Absolutely nobody seems to bother with the concourse though for some reason.

Still nothing quite like headshotting someone with the Gnasher, turning round and seeing someone rolling to you and via a pure reflex gibbing him too. And I'm not even good at the game.

Yeah moments like that actually make me pull a Cole "whooo" irl lol.

Gowans

After tonnes of multi and horde in the campaign and live it but I can't progress in act 1-5 the lift just keeps dropping :(

Edit: and barrels ;)

Moofers

MDavis360 said:
Completely noobish question here regarding the fortifications.

Explain the barriers to me-because it seems that the enemies try to disable the barrier, as opposed to walking through them-especially the crawling enemies. What is the best way to use them-and how many total would be best to set up at one time?

I desperately want to get the Sentry Gun...

Here's the deal. You level up in the area of everything that you buy. Barricades go like this:

-Tire spikes
-Barbed wire
-laser fence
-fire laser fence

So at first, you can only buy tire spikes. You gotta spend enough money to get to level 2 in barricades and then you get to upgrade tire spikes to barbed wire. Keep doing that and eventually you get laser wire, etc. Once a barricade has been upgraded, it costs less money to keep it up and running than it would to let it get destroyed and NOT rebuild it between rounds. You let once get destroyed and decide not to rebuild it and you will have to start at the begining and lay down tire spikes, then barbed wire, etc.

Sentry guns are your reward once you have got your decoy level up to 3. Once you do that, you can lay down those sentries.

I've found that the best results come from picking just ONE command post, then building up everything there. Some people try to build up all the command posts, but you are stretching your money pretty thin that way. Lots of tire spikes and stuff which are easily wrecked.

Speaking of things getting wrecked, enemies ruin barricades a number of ways.

-Tire spikes (ruined by enemies walking into them, or tickers and wretches breaking them. Its important to note that enemies can walk through these without having to destroy them first. They slow enemies down, but do not stop them.)
-Barbed wire (same as tire spikes)
-Laser fence (ruined by enemies walking into them or little guys smashing them up just like the other two barricades, but the difference is these STOP enemies. They can't just walk through these unless they are destroyed first.)
-Laser fence level 2 (same as above, but they light enemies on fire sometimes)

Note that Berzerks and other bosses will destroy all barricades without breaking a sweat.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

jediyoshi

Zerkers are the worst in Horde mode, what an absurd inclusion. Same with the dudes who only take explosive damage. I feel like more often than not I'm grouped with folks who haven't played campaign and don't know how to damage them.

Where's my civilian Sam, Epic. You'll get my monies immediately.

Sawed-Off still feels OP as hell, but whatever. Seems like the Lancer got a buff, it's great to use now, as long as you have decent people with you anyway. I'm a little sad at the Retro nerf though

alphaNoid

Banned
Act 2 was great last night, it really opened up for me and I'm starting to regret coming into work today
KuGsj.gif

-PXG- said:
No wonder I haven't played Execution until now...Everyone uses fucking Sawed Offs...Jesus.

I always found that one life game modes brought out the worst in people and maximized frustration which is why I avoid them as much as possible. The SOS pretty much guarantees that I'll never touch Exe/WZ in Gears 3. At least TDM can provide semi-instant revenge against the corner camping SOS users.

Robot Pants said:
I vote for the title of this thread be changed to:
Gears Of War 3 |OT| "Yea the humans are back, asshole. SHIT YEAH!"

Fixed.

Had to throw in another classy line from the potty-mouth Marcus.

-PXG-

I'll be back on in the next 30 minutes or so. I'm in the mood to tear shit up and steam roll people tonight.

I will easily hit 40 tonight. I played and finished the campaign today and did some testing in the private matches with bots.

LowParry

So yeah. In terms of story. Gears 2 > Gears 1 > Gears 3.

3 was just fucking terrible. At least the MP makes up for it all cause it's all really really fun. And Horde mode is a blast. Too bad Beast is too easy and so short.

Just hit 30 btw.

Any freebie codes out there btw?

CcrooK said:
So yeah. In terms of story. Gears 2 > Gears 1 > Gears 3.

3 was just fucking terrible. At least the MP makes up for it all cause it's all really really fun. And Horde mode is a blast. Too bad Beast is too easy and so short.

Just hit 30 btw.

Any freebie codes out there btw?
What? I thought it was the best in the series. The only thing it missed was some more exposition moments.

Gears 2's story was decent enough, I guess, and Gears 1's story was barely there.

Gonna do a replay of the series once I'm finished with most of my Gears 3 achievements, I think.

Hixx

Just remembered a really odd bug I encountered towards the end of the game.

you call the lift but its broken and you need to hold off the Lambent 'till Jack fixes them
. When the cutscene ends and the enemies start to appear, I couldn't shoot, enter cover, sprint... I could charge up my Torque bow but couldn't aim it, none of my other weapons worked. Had to restart the checkpoint which was luckily just after the cutscene.

Also, random roadie run - few times during the campaign, Marcus would just go and do it completely randomly. Maybe that one is down to my controller though, I can't be sure.

Detox

I would play more execution but 3 rounds is too short they need to make it 5 again. Not even sure why they made it 3 in the first place.

_dementia said:
Wow, it seems like we'll need real strategy and teamwork to beat Horde now.
Yes! Going into Horde with randoms who aren't using headsets KILLS me. Even worse is when these ransoms are also noobs to Horde 2.0 and set up a base at the first location they see. And it's usually the worst position on the map.

Protip Horde noobs: High Ground locations with choke points are the most easily defensible positions.

Finished the game last night, was kind of disappointed. The gameplay was great though, and I had a lot of fun cooping with my friend, but the story just wasn't satisfying at all to either of us.

I tried multiplayer team deathmatch and while pretty fun, sawed off shotgun pretty much ruins things. I can't believe it's taken Epic three games to still not fix a shotgun ruling the balance of things. At least the interface is much improved and there's no lag (that I've seen).

LowParry

Reluctant-Hero said:
Seriously? I've only completed Acts 1 & 2 and the story is already leagues ahead of Gears 2.

Finish it out.

All I can say is that the game is left me with more questions. Aside from the whole "Mariaaaaa!" nonsense in 2, I thought it was pretty solid. And the ending was fantastic because it left you mystery about the whole reasoning behind why Marcus' dad was like "what have you done?"

3...eh. It's just got a lot of loop holes (video game stories. lulz. I know) but there were many parts of the story that just filtered in and pointless. This is just my view as others I'm sure will really enjoy the story for what it is. I was just looking for something a little more than what was explain and concluded. It's a damn fine game. Probably going to be my Game of the Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom