• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiryani

LosDaddie said:
Who is game for Horde mode in about ~1hr? I'll be getting on XBL then and would like to get a party going.

And I'm talking about possibly doing all 50 waves too.

Let me know. GT: LosDaddie

I'm game. Tag is WaynoLOL

Adding you now

Genesis Knight said:
Okay, that makes sense. I just don't get why you would choose to spam the trigger when it's full auto, like the other guy said.

Because if you don't, you ain't winning shit against the other rifles. Also, it's more fun.

Robot Pants said:
Right. It needs auto-aim instead. Gotcha.

No. I like games that reward aiming. Not running through gunfire, rolling around randomly by mashing the A button, and shooting weapons with reticules that take up half the screen.

I also love how you can hit the trigger, and a second later, you see the blood splash on the other guy. On a connection that is flawless for every other game in existence.

Horde mode, Beast mode, and co-op campaign are AMAZING experiences.

Competitive modes are B-tier quality, on a good day.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Beast mode is pretty disappointing

the AI are dumb. If you stay in the spawn they come looking for you :|

Played Insane on checkout and did it without losing a round and using 90% tickers

Fallacy

Neo Member
D4Danger said:
Beast mode is pretty disappointing

the AI are dumb. If you stay in the spawn they come looking for you :|

Played Insane on checkout and did it without losing a round and using 90% tickers
lolwut I want video of you beating the onyx guard with all tickers

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Fallacy said:
lolwut I want video of you beating the onyx guard with all tickers

serious? they're stupid as hell.

There was 6 of them in the toilet at one point.

using tickers is easy. 1 or 2 downs them, the other kills. Just work as a team and wave attack each person.

The_Monk

Ok GAF, got 3 months of Live, been playing only multiplayer because I was going out of Live, decided to get some more.

I just sent a FR for Gears Gaf 4, now I wait for PXG to accept mine and the others. :)

How hard is the SP? Really hard? I'm not that good, should I go with Casual/Normal?

If you read all of this so far and you want to add another GAFfer go ahead, GT on profile, thank you.

JambiBum

So I found out that you don't have to beat every difficulty of beast without failing to unlock the Theron. You only need to beat insane.

Awesome.

Three people shooting a guy with a lancer, he runs up and kills two of us with a sawed-off in one shot. We were 5, maybe 7 feet apart. Runs away while being fired at, still lives.

Three lancers.

Terrible. Just fucking terrible.

LiK

Just finished SP solo on hardcore. so frIggin' awesome! One of the best games this year, hands down. Will be playing MP soon. Awesome job Epic.

Willeth

_dementia said:
Wow, it seems like we'll need real strategy and teamwork to beat Horde now.

Eh, if you set up a decent defensive area the most strategy you need is 'make sure the turrets are fixed and full and there's some lasers or razor wire to slow them down whil I turn them into mulch' - at least, on normal. I'm sure Insane will require some spreadsheets or something.

Wave 50 of Corpsers can fucking ruin your day, though. I guess Diggers would be the way to go for that, but we just ended up restarting the wave until the game took pity on us and gave us a Brumak instead.

dmg04 said:
My GOD the SOS is for BITCHES.

Seriously, keep hiding behind fucking walls and shit. You're totally good at the fucking game.
Gears is about cover. I know the SOS can be annoying, but if there's a dude with one waiting for you to come around? Don't go there. He can't do shit to you if you aren't right in his grill, and if he's relying on you doing that you'll be able to gun him down with every other weapon really easily.

The_Monk

LiK said:
Just finished SP solo on hardcore. so frIggin' awesome! One of the best games this year, hands down. Will be playing MP soon. Awesome job Epic.

How hard it was? I got no answer for my post above.

LEGGZZZZ

Anyone game for some horde later tonight around 1pm EST, I get off work late, would like to try to get to wave 50, or try it on Hardcore difficulty. GT is LeggWork.

Using the SOS and having no self-respect go hand in hand. I spawned with it accidentally, peeked around a corner, gibbbed someone and nearly spewed at how easy it was. Never again.

Man up, SOS users!

Arnie

The Antitype said:
No. I like games that reward aiming. Not running through gunfire, rolling around randomly by mashing the A button, and shooting weapons with reticules that take up half the screen.

I also love how you can hit the trigger, and a second later, you see the blood splash on the other guy. On a connection that is flawless for every other game in existence.

Horde mode, Beast mode, and co-op campaign are AMAZING experiences.

Competitive modes are B-tier quality, on a good day.
This is absolutely ridiculous. You're trying to sandwich Gears into a completely unrelated type of gameplay style that fits your own personal tastes, and then when failing to do so are falling back on the game being in the wrong rather than your own backwards assumptions of what Gears of War should be.

I love precision based gameplay(CS, Halo) as much as the next person but I can also appreciate and enjoy a different type of skill based gameplay style that doesn't fall back on that.

You genuinely don't seem to understand what makes a person good at Gears, and this naivety is colouring your opinion on the game as a result. Saying that the better players just "roll around randomly mashing A" is an incredibly dumb and misguided argument. That's like saying the best Reach players just mash the trigger and hope to "luck" bloom. Being successful at Gears is as much about utilising the game environment through the cover and roll mechanics as it is aiming and firing. Your misunderstanding of the Gears fundamentals is honestly quite surprising. What did you expect?

Manouevering through close quarters situations and aiming you shotgun in tandem is at the core of the Gears multiplayer experience and always has been. It's also an extremely skillful and thus rewarding gameplay loop that's propelled the game to massive success, again, comments such as B Tier multiplayer are just laughable and quite objectively false considering the level of online popularity Gears has.

As for your connection, you've got a serious issue. Gears 3 is one of the smoothest online experiences there is, and such an opinion has been pretty unanimous over what must've been a huge opening weekend server wise. I've just installed crappy wireless internet in my University house and have had little to no issues as you're describing them. That sounds like a pretty big problem on your end.

Smeghead

The Antitype said:
Awesome.

Three people shooting a guy with a lancer, he runs up and kills two of us with a sawed-off in one shot. We were 5, maybe 7 feet apart. Runs away while being fired at, still lives.

Three lancers.

Terrible. Just fucking terrible.

The three people must be terrible. Just fucking terrible.

Arnie said:
i was lancering someone and they shotgunned me

fuck the world and this game
Are you not on servers for that match?

That could be possible. Last night I got the feeling that some of my matches weren't on servers and though the level of BS was noticeably less than gears2, there was still some stupid shit going on. Some matches were smooth and perfect like the night before, some were a bit janky and some stuff just didn't register.

The_Monk said:
How hard it was? I got no answer for my post above.
I beat SP on Hardcore last night and this was hands down the easiest Gears in the trilogy. You should be ok playing it on Hardcore, which felt like Normal to me. If it's still too difficult, I believe you can simply change the difficulty in the pause menu.

Tawpgun

Beat the campaign

Ending actually made me misty-eyed.

I didn't read any of the books or anything, but I feel there's so much left unanswered. Remember that lab in Gears 2 with those weird hybrid things? That was never explained. The queen came off as a failed "deep" character. Big words, but still stereotypical bad guy. I was expecting some big twist right before Marcus stabbed her. I was expecting some sort of revelation about the locust (why she looks human also). I thought there was something more to the locust than underground inhabitants who were forced out.

Prescott and the hotel were never really explained...

Oh and one silly thing. After the device went off... how were the Ravens still flying? Don't they run off of Imulsion also?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Well, I can say I'm getting a bit tired of the maps. It's not Epic's fault, tho. They released an amazing beta that I played nonstop because it was such a huge improvement over Gears 2. So I've played 4 of the maps a lot already before the game even released. I've been playing Gridlock nonstop since Gears 1 and Hotel is basically a Mansion remake. That means Overpass, Drydock, Mercy, and Sandbar are the only fresh maps for me.

Need a new map pack, stat.

Spruchy

Game finally clicked for me, was a huge Gears 1 and 2 player but I was finding Gears 3 to be a noticeable difference until I switched from execution to TDM. MP really feels like it was built around this mode and is a lot more enjoyable especially since the unnecessary switch in execution from 5 to 3 wins needed for a match. Still a little irked that the game only shipped with 10 maps with the rest locked on the disc, a greedy move by Epic that could tarnish this game from being the "definitive" experience for the 360 into one that the average gamer will forget about in a couple months.

Arnie

shichishito said:
Are you not on servers for that match?

That could be possible. Last night I got the feeling that some of my matches weren't on servers and though the level of BS was noticeably less than gears2, there was still some stupid shit going on. Some matches were smooth and perfect like the night before, some were a bit janky and some stuff just didn't register.
I was sarcastically mocking the person who, along with his two buddies attempted to use the Lancer as an effective close quarters tool, and subsequently moaned when they were all dealt a fresh dose of common sense.

At close quarters the shotgun is the weapon to use. At very close quarters the SOS is. At anywhere outside of that the rifles are. There's also stopping power.

RSTEIN said:
Well, I can say I'm getting a bit tired of the maps. It's not Epic's fault, tho. They released an amazing beta that I played nonstop because it was such a huge improvement over Gears 2. So I've played 4 of the maps a lot already before the game even released. I've been playing Gridlock nonstop since Gears 1 and Hotel is basically a Mansion remake. That means Overpass, Drydock, Mercy, and Sandbar are the only fresh maps for me.

Need a new map pack, stat.
I'm in the same boat, and I'm not as forgiving on Epic in that regard. We know they've got maps ready to leave the oven, but they're holding back on that for future profiteering. Not to mention a couple of the "fresh" maps are a wee bit guff. Sandbar's a bit too big and fragmented, Overpass is an upstairs camp fest (which I'm sure would've been altered had it been included in the beta) and Hotel's extremely congested.

Need a new map pack too, don't really need the extravagant costs that come with it though.

Amir0x

Banned
my god the Cole Train
football spike part was the cheesiest, shittiest bit of game storytelling I have seen ALL GEN
, and I've played Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood and lived to tell the tale.

I didn't think the storytelling of the Gears universe could get any more laughable, but it's clear they're playing to the comedy club now. That was just LOL.

The_Monk

EteRnal_PAL said:
I beat SP on Hardcore last night and this was hands down the easiest Gears in the trilogy. You should be ok playing it on Hardcore, which felt like Normal to me. If it's still too difficult, I believe you can simply change the difficulty in the pause menu.

Nice, guess I'll try on Hardcore first. ;)

Arnie said:
This is absolutely ridiculous. You're trying to sandwich Gears into a completely unrelated type of gameplay style that fits your own personal tastes, and then when failing to do so are falling back on the game being in the wrong rather than your own backwards assumptions of what Gears of War should be.

You're right. It's entirely backwards to suggest that a cover-based shooter should play like a cover-based shooter. Insane. OBVIOUSLY, a cover-based shooter should play like Quake-lite, with people bounding and sprinting around like jack-rabbits on crack, running through gunfire and shotgunning people.

Arnie said:
You genuinely don't seem to understand what makes a person good at Gears, and this naivety is colouring your opinion on the game as a result. Saying that the better players just "roll around randomly mashing A" is an incredibly dumb and misguided argument. That's like saying the best Reach players just mash the trigger and hope to "luck" bloom. Being successful at Gears is as much about utilising the game environment through the cover and roll mechanics as it is aiming and firing. Your misunderstanding of the Gears fundamentals is honestly quite surprising. What did you expect?

The fundamentals of Gears of War are present in the cooperative modes, where using cover is actually important, and battling back and forth, knowing when to press for a better position and when to retreat to live another day. There is NEVER a moment in the single-player or horde, where it is a fantastic fucking idea to try and run through gunfire just to shotgun 4 dudes. This is the single best strategy in GoW multiplayer.

Arnie said:
Manouevering through close quarters situations and aiming you shotgun in tandem is at the core of the Gears multiplayer experience and always has been. It's also an extremely skillful and thus rewarding gameplay loop that's propelled the game to massive success, again, comments such as B Tier multiplayer are just laughable and quite objectively false considering the level of online popularity Gears has.

And that is a problem. The use of a SINGLE fucking weapon and strategy should never, EVER be the core of a gameplay experience. Gears of War laughably piles on new weapons with every game, and yet none of them are used as much as the starting shotgun, simply because the gameplay is so stupidly lop-sided towards it. And now, we even have a shotgun that needs LESS aiming.

The connection was my issue, I forgot that I had some torrents running over night and didn't turn them off.

ShaneB

DR3AM said:
Anyon else think that the shotguns are too powerfull?

In what sense? The SoS perhaps, but that's an entirely different discussion. The gnasher is perfectly fine, it's a close combat weapon, if you're in close and you get blown to bits by a gnasher, it makes sense.

You can judge a person's character by which shotty he uses in Gears 3. He's either a man who works for his, or a lil bitch who creeps around corners and gets easy kills while barely aiming.

You guess which shotgun applies to which category.

Arnie said:
I was sarcastically mocking the person who, along with his two buddies attempted to use the Lancer as an effective close quarters tool, and subsequently moaned when they were all dealt a fresh dose of common sense.

At close quarters the shotgun is the weapon to use. At very close quarters the SOS is. At anywhere outside of that the rifles are. There's also stopping power.
hahaha, I totally misinterpreted what you were saying and envisioned something else. My bad.

There's definitely some bad people playing this game. I'm so used to seeing SOS or even retro guys charging at me, but last night, on more than one occasion, I actually had a kid charging me with a hammerburst in hand. I'd say the average player generally has some tactical lapses, which is probably why so many just camp corners with the SOS. There isn't any easier tactic than that. Too bad it does nothing for your team with regards to map control. It's why I have no problems with the people using the SOS.

Plasmid

Net_Wrecker said:
You can judge a person's character by which shotty he uses in Gears 3. He's either a man who works for his, or a lil bitch who creeps around corners and gets easy kills while barely aiming.

You guess which shotgun applies to which category.

I'm only using the SOS until the execution unlocks, then back to gnasher <3.

ShaneB said:
In what sense? The SoS perhaps, but that's an entirely different discussion. The gnasher is perfectly fine, it's a close combat weapon, if you're in close and you get blown to bits by a gnasher, it makes sense.

This is a simplistic view of game balance, and one that Epic seemingly abides by.

Yes, you have to get in close to use the gnasher. But guess what? A player has more than enough health to cross that distance, despite having clips of Lancer ammo emptied into him, and the hammerburst doesn't fire fast enough.

If you happen to have JUST reloaded and hit the AR, then you can take a guy down with those weapons. So obviously, the key is just to run around with a single bullet in your clip, reload and hope for the best.

Or just run around using the shotgun.

Shocking that 99% of the population just goes for the latter, huh? Turning the game into a one-note, B-tier experience.

george_us

Dom: Do you ever get the sense that she's just dicking with us?

Baird: No, Dom, this feels like a pretty sincere attempt on my life

Ahaha

Tawpgun

Amir0x said:
my god the Cole Train football spike part was the cheesiest, shittiest bit of game storytelling I have seen ALL GEN, and I've played Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood and lived to tell the tale.

I didn't think the storytelling of the Gears universe could get any more laughable, but it's clear they're playing to the comedy club now. That was just LOL.
Cole is great for comedic relief. My friends and I lol'd at that too, but we didn't think it was shitty story telling. Just something funny.

The Antitype said:
You're right. It's entirely backwards to suggest that a cover-based shooter should play like a cover-based shooter. Insane. OBVIOUSLY, a cover-based shooter should play like Quake-lite, with people bounding and sprinting around like jack-rabbits on crack, running through gunfire and shotgunning people.

The fundamentals of Gears of War are present in the cooperative modes, where using cover is actually important, and battling back and forth, knowing when to press for a better position and when to retreat to live another day. There is NEVER a moment in the single-player or horde, where it is a fantastic fucking idea to try and run through gunfire just to shotgun 4 dudes. This is the single best strategy in GoW multiplayer.

And that is a problem. The use of a SINGLE fucking weapon and strategy should never, EVER be the core of a gameplay experience. Gears of War laughably piles on new weapons with every game, and yet none of them are used as much as the starting shotgun, simply because the gameplay is so stupidly lop-sided towards it. And now, we even have a shotgun that needs LESS aiming.

The connection was my issue, I forgot that I had some torrents running over night and didn't turn them off.
What game are you playing?

I use the lancer just fine and kill people with it. The game would get SO boring if it was just cover turtling and firing into bullet sponges.

The rifles and power weapons work very well. Gnasher is still the clutch gun though, make no mistake about that. But it isn't the ONLY strategy. I will say Gnasher fights >>>>>>> any rifle fight. To me, the Gnasher is like the BR/DMR of Gears. The go to weapon that everything else in the sandbox is built around on.

I'm surprised you got Gears 3 if you don't like the shotgun heavy gameplay.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jesus Amir0x. Why are there so many unmarked spoilers in this thread? :/

I mean I'm past that part but it pisses me off the amount of unmarked spoilers in here. Sooner or later I'm gonna be a victim. :/

Amir0x

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Cole is great for comedic relief. My friends and I lol'd at that too, but we didn't think it was shitty story telling. Just something funny.

I got the distinct feeling that Epic felt they were telling something that was supposed to be poignant, i.e.
Cole's flashback to the memory of right when times turned and stopped being about his fame and whatnot, the life he left behind... and he has this comic sort of Vietnam flashback style thing which is so hilarious it had me on the floor. I guess it depends on if you think Epic was intentionally going for those laughs or if they thought they were setting a different tone.
I hope for their sake it was all just for shits and gigs, because my god it was awful lol

A27 Tawpgun said:
I'm surprised you got Gears 3 if you don't like the shotgun heavy gameplay.

Previews and quotes had made it seem as though Epic had finally balanced the game appropriately. I was misinformed.

Still happy I have the game, cause the co-op modes are some of the most fun I've had in years. But the multiplayer is just too loose and simplistic for my tastes.

And for the record, I have a 1.9 K/D and 1.8 W/L. So it's not as though 'oh this kid just sucks at the game'. I can play to a game's obvious exploits as well as the next person. I just have no sense of satisfaction from kills or any sense of consistency to my deaths. So it's not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom