• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arnie said:
Sandbar's a bit too big and fragmented, Overpass is an upstairs camp fest (which I'm sure would've been altered had it been included in the beta) and Hotel's extremely congested.

Need a new map pack too, don't really need the extravagant costs that come with it though.

I'm of the opinion that Sandbar is the worst of the bunch. It's just too open to allow for any flow/rhythm to exist and kinda discourages the magic of Gears. While Overpass may not be far behind in mediocrity, sometimes the battle for the high-ground can be pretty fun.

Amir0x said:
I got the distinct feeling that Epic felt they were telling something that was supposed to be poignant, i.e.
Cole's flashback to the memory of right when times turned and stopped being about his fame and whatnot, the life he left behind... and he has this comic sort of Vietnam flashback style thing which is so hilarious it had me on the floor. I guess it depends on if you think Epic was intentionally going for those laughs or if they thought they were setting a different tone.
I hope for their sake it was all just for shits and gigs, because my god it was awful lol

You haven't even seen the worst/best of that kind of moment if you haven't beaten the game yet.

It's a good thing the game is damn fun, because the plot/cutscenes are all over the place.

mickcenary said:
I'm of the opinion that Sandbar is the worst of the bunch. It's just too open to allow for any flow/rhythm to exist and kinda discourages the magic of Gears. While Overpass may not be far behind in mediocrity, sometimes the battle for the high-ground can be pretty fun.

As a competitive map, Overpass is god-awful.

But for Horde mode? Oh god, that shit is goooooooood.

Arnie

The Antitype said:
You're right. It's entirely backwards to suggest that a cover-based shooter should play like a cover-based shooter. Insane. OBVIOUSLY, a cover-based shooter should play like Quake-lite, with people bounding and sprinting around like jack-rabbits on crack, running through gunfire and shotgunning people.

Cover is extremely useful in multiplayer though, you're hyperbolically suggesting it doesn't play a factor, which is simply wrong. Bullets from rifles as well as other weapons are still deadly in multiplayer and standing around with your lancer in your hand statically trying to mow the enemy down isn't a tactic that's going to get you very far, which by the sounds of your previous posts is what's happening.

The Antitype said:
The fundamentals of Gears of War are present in the cooperative modes, where using cover is actually important, and battling back and forth, knowing when to press for a better position and when to retreat to live another day. There is NEVER a moment in the single-player or horde, where it is a fantastic fucking idea to try and run through gunfire just to shotgun 4 dudes. This is the single best strategy in GoW multiplayer.

That's because you're playing against artificial AI designed primarily for this purpose. Epic tried to incentivise such grinchy tactics for Versus in Gears 2 through the hampering of base player traits and it backfired massively to the point where they, without hesitation reversed it back for Gears 3. And the community were unanimously receptive of that.

Quite honestly it just sounds like you can't keep up with the pace of the multiplayer component and as a result can't match the average skill barrier needed to function without getting steamrolled every five minutes. Gears multiplayer is very unique, cover and rifle fire play a huge part in that, but due to it's pace and proclivity for close quarters engagements, so do Shotguns and evasive tactics such as rolling.

The Antitype said:
And that is a problem. The use of a SINGLE fucking weapon and strategy should never, EVER be the core of a gameplay experience. Gears of War laughably piles on new weapons with every game, and yet none of them are used as much as the starting shotgun, simply because the gameplay is so stupidly lop-sided towards it. And now, we even have a shotgun that needs LESS aiming.
The Shotgun is the core of the experience because when combined with the core mechanics it provides the most effective and consistent way of succeeding in a skill based manner. Just like the Battle Rifle does in Halo. Many juggernaut multiplayer games have a flagship weapon that's used en masse more than any other, for example, the Rocket Launcher in Quake, the M4/AK in CS, the BR/DMR in Halo and additionally the Gnasher in Gears.

To say the opposite is again a general naivety on your part about what makes people tick when playing competitive multiplayer games. Players want their skill to dictate their success. Thus their success is in direct correlation to their actions. Comb through every prevalent weapon I just listed and that's true to a T. Quite simply, and despite what you're babbling the Rifles in Gears are very effective, planting yourself in cover and holding the trigger to lace bullets at a target from a distance is a rather mindless and skillless task, as a result it's not as rewarding as getting up in the enemies' face and out maneuvering them with a Shotgun.

The Antitype said:
The connection was my issue, I forgot that I had some torrents running over night and didn't turn them off.
This mistake is symptomatic of each argument you've presented tonight, a foolish mistake.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Arnie said:
I'm in the same boat, and I'm not as forgiving on Epic in that regard. We know they've got maps ready to leave the oven, but they're holding back on that for future profiteering. Not to mention a couple of the "fresh" maps are a wee bit guff. Sandbar's a bit too big and fragmented, Overpass is an upstairs camp fest (which I'm sure would've been altered had it been included in the beta) and Hotel's extremely congested.

Need a new map pack too, don't really need the extravagant costs that come with it though.

Good points. Game could've used 2-3 more maps at launch. 1.3 million preorders, loyal fan base willing to overlook Gears 2... Yeah, they shoulda done it.

Well, I'll pay for the maps regardless, lol.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
The_Monk said:
Nice, guess I'll try on Hardcore first. ;)

Just to put it out there, we've been dying non-stop on Hardcore, to the point that the game isn't even fun and I've finally succeeded in having the difficulty pushed down. I guess we're not using the shotgun exclusively like we should be?

Tawpgun

The Antitype said:
Previews and quotes had made it seem as though Epic had finally balanced the game appropriately. I was misinformed.

Still happy I have the game, cause the co-op modes are some of the most fun I've had in years. But the multiplayer is just too loose and simplistic for my tastes.

And for the record, I have a 1.9 K/D and 1.8 W/L. So it's not as though 'oh this kid just sucks at the game'. I can play to a game's obvious exploits as well as the next person. I just have no sense of satisfaction from kills or any sense of consistency to my deaths. So it's not fun.
What you seem to be suggesting is a sort of Rock-Paper-Scissors gameplay. You're not the type of person who prefers AR starts in Halo right?

You would honestly get more satisfaction by unloading half a clip into an enemy instead of dodging around them and being able to hip fire/pop shot at the right time to gib them into pieces?

:/

By the way you over-exxagerate shit too much. The rifles are more usefull than they ever have been. A good Hammerburst playing can down like a boss. Headshot even. I use the lancer and I slay people with it.

mickcenary said:

The problem with both Sandbar, and Overpass are the SAME problems we had with Trenches and Thrashball in the beta, respectively. Sandbar is pretty much split by the huge cliff and the water so it becomes a "who can hold the middle" map because of obvious flanking routes, and Overpass is "who can hold the high ground" with limited routes up there. The same problems as the beta maps which were both fixed by adding new areas/routes in retail.

And I repeat, the SOS users are straight bitches. Ugh. With the Lancer, and Hammerburst being as good as they are, there was absolutely NO need for the SOS to be a starting weapon if it's truly there as a noob weapon and not created by Epic just to troll people.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Net_Wrecker said:
The problem with both Sandbar, and Overpass are the SAME problems we had with Trenches and Thrashball in the beta, respectively. Sandbar is pretty much split by the huge cliff and the water so it becomes a "who can hold the middle" map because of obvious flanking routes, and Overpass is "who can hold the high ground" with limited routes up there. The same problems as the beta maps which were both fixed by adding new areas/routes in retail.

And I repeat, the SOS users are straight bitches. Ugh. With the Lancer, and Hammerburst being as good as they are, there was absolutely NO need for the SOS to be a starting weapon if it's truly there as a noob weapon and not created by Epic just to troll people.

I think overpass is pretty fun. You can use the mortar to take out the top, it goes through that one building people always take cover under.

I do really dislike Sandlot though, way too easy to get locked in spawn ala beta trenches.

Ramirez

Amir0x said:
I got the distinct feeling that Epic felt they were telling something that was supposed to be poignant, i.e.
Cole's flashback to the memory of right when times turned and stopped being about his fame and whatnot, the life he left behind... and he has this comic sort of Vietnam flashback style thing which is so hilarious it had me on the floor. I guess it depends on if you think Epic was intentionally going for those laughs or if they thought they were setting a different tone.
I hope for their sake it was all just for shits and gigs, because my god it was awful lol

I thought it was pretty obvious that they weren't be serious, I mean really?

This game really feels balanced on the weapon front aside from the obvious SOS problems. I don't get the idea at all that people just roll around with their Gnashers constantly anymore, all 3 starting rifles are absolute beasts if used correctly. Retro is actually my most used weapon in the kills department...

2th

Banned
Still looking for a Mechanic Baird and Savage Grenadier Elite. Have Adam Fenix and IO weapons codes to trade.

CliffyB

Playah
The Antitype said:
The core gameplay of Gears of War clearly does not lend itself to competitive gameplay.

Loosely bouncing around like jack-rabbits on crack, vaguely aiming in the general direction of the enemy with shotguns is the opposite of fun.

There is a reason this franchise will never reach the heights of Halo or CoD in the online realm.

So are you just going to troll this thread or what? :)

T Primex

Neo Member
I actually found this the hardest Gears game by far. I completed 1 and 2 on Hardcore without a problem at all except maybe one or two parts. This game a team of four of us were taking forever to finish chapters and switched it to normal on the second Act. Also, do people still care about "kill steals" online? That's so nerdy to me. I understand if you're isolated but a lot of the time in the heat of the battle waiting for whoever downed them can mean a loss for your team.

Llyranor

Just got the game. Hahaha @ Gears3 beanie hat for preordering.

Played a bit of Beast with buddies, and Daigoro joined in as well (good session, man!). We managed to beat the 12 waves on Hardcore. That was really good fun; playing as the various locust was pretty hilarious.

Also played a bit of Horde mode. I love Horde mode in Gears2, and the defensive fortications are an awesome addition. I'm going to be playing a lot of this.

def sim

Just beat it on 4 player hardcore. Fine times, but the one on rails part wasn't so hot. Defeating the last boss as we figured out the proper way was great though!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Noriega said:
Anyone buy any skins for their guns yet?

Just curious since I'm tempted to buy at least one.

I see a lot of pink guns online. A couple rainbows and electricity as well...epic's making bank off this for sure.

Damn, I love this game. MP is fantastic as is Horde mode. Already beat Beast mode earlier today which was fun but kind of easy. Gonna play a ton more this weekend.

BrokenBox

Amir0x said:
my god the Cole Train
football spike part was the cheesiest, shittiest bit of game storytelling I have seen ALL GEN
, and I've played Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood and lived to tell the tale.

I didn't think the storytelling of the Gears universe could get any more laughable, but it's clear they're playing to the comedy club now. That was just LOL.

That'sthejoke.jpg

Nelo Ice

Banned
anyone up for multi, horde, or beast? GT is same as my gaf name.

in the meantime im gonna go play red orchestra 2 or something.

Arnie said:

I'd throw in my two cents, but that'd be redundant seeing as you've covered pretty much everything quite eloquently.

GoW3 without a shotgun = GoW3 that I wouldn't play. It's as simple as that.

mickcenary said:
I'd throw in my two cents, but that'd be redundant seeing as you've covered pretty much everything quite eloquently.

GoW3 without a shotgun = GoW3 that I wouldn't play. It's as simple as that.

I don't recall ever saying that Gears of War 3 should not have a shotgun. Only that it shouldn't be 1000% more useful than every other weapon type in the game.

Whatever. I'm done.

We all love Gears of War 3, we just love it for different modes/reasons. No different than people that love Reach for campaign or Firefight instead of competitive multiplayer.

Noriega said:
Anyone buy any skins for their guns yet?

Just curious since I'm tempted to buy at least one.

The besties are Team Metal, Jungle Digital and Desert/Arctic Camo. I bought the Pink ones, too, mostly out of curiosity, but they're quite hideous. Ha.

The Antitype said:
I don't recall ever saying that Gears of War 3 should not have a shotgun. Only that it shouldn't be 1000% more useful than every other weapon type in the game.

Whatever. I'm done.

We all love Gears of War 3, we just love it for different modes/reasons. No different than people that love Reach for campaign or Firefight instead of competitive multiplayer.

I do see what you're saying, but it really loses so much its charm without the heavy emphasis on shotgunnin'. Epic has designed maybe the most satisfying game mechanic I've ever seen in a shooter. That being said, it does has a VERY steep learning curve, so I can see why some are put off, but the pay-off is pure gaming nirvana. People use it because it's fun. And AI just doesn't compare to "human smarts". That's why I probably won't even touch Horde. Again, as you said: different reasons.

And the power weapons are DEFINITELY as useful. It's ridiculous how often people ignore them, leaving me to triple my KDR just like that.

ZeroRay

Dabanton said:
Act III:Unbreakable

Zomg :D

Couldn't even blink it was so intense.

I wish these systems had more memory so bodies wouldn't disappear.

That chapter was some Helms Deep shit right there.

JMizzlin

Finished campaign on Hardcore and unlocked Insane.

If I were to do Four Player Insane Co-op campaign would I get the achievements for both Insane game completion AND four player co-op? Because I really don't want to have to do it on standard, with no re-spawns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom