• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyunkel6

canadian crowe said:
This game is jam packed with set pieces, maybe even more than Uncharted.

Also, The beginning of Act 4 is fantastic. Highlight of the game so far.
Good to know. I'll be starting Act 4 first thing after work tomorrow.

I'm also surprisingly decent at the MP, which is weird since I was horrible at Gears 2. Not the best, but usually among the top 3 in the lobby. The HB is a beast.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Beast mode is tons of fun, but way too short and easy. I feel I've done everything after beating it a couple of times. Maybe add more waves, creatures and enemies?

LifEndz

Looking for some people that will play horde and won't quit before level 30. Add me and let me know when you're free to get it going! (pause)

GT: Lifendz

Have to ask it again, unfortunately I didn't get an answer:

What's the point in active reloading the longshot? Is it just a little bit more damage (tried it with a friend, with an active reload you need 2 instead of 3 pistol bullets additionally to down someone, doesn't seem like much of a difference) or is it true, that the rounds are bigger with an active reload, thus it's easier to headshot someone (not sure about that one)?

LEGGZZZZ

george_us said:
This game ain't got shit on Uncharted 2.

To different games though. Gears is more about vaiable enemy encounters/bosses, something you won't find in a Uncharted 2 set piece (at least not done anywhere as well).

LifEndz

ShaneB said:
Yeah, not liking overpass much, one route up the stairs was not a good idea.

I was loving it when my teammates were helping me hold it down. If everyones not working on keeping dudes back it definitely is not the place to be on the later levels.

Dug

Banned
Well this is how it goes: spawn, grab lancer, shoot bug off, get ammo and kill locust, bug gets back on tower, and then we get over ran with locust and die. Fun.

vodka-bull said:

What's the point in active reloading the longshot? Is it just a little bit more damage (tried it with a friend, with an active reload you need 2 instead of 3 pistol bullets additionally to down someone, doesn't seem like much of a difference) or is it true, that the rounds are bigger with an active reload, thus it's easier to headshot someone (not sure about that one)?

See, I recall one of the loading screen tips saying that a perfect Active Reload gives you a faster reload. Is there even a damage boost? Maybe it's an SP-exclusive perk.

Dug said:
Well this is how it goes: spawn, grab lancer, shoot bug off, get ammo and kill locust, bug gets back on tower, and then we get over ran with locust and die. Fun.
Yeah, we tried it as a team of 3 for the past 3 hours and didn't success. I bet there's some strategy for this beast, as it was with Raam (alternating Torque Bow and Sniper Headshot) but we haven't figured out yet.
Also, the most annoying enemies at this chapter are the little MG balloons, fucking bastards are literally everywhere shooting everyone to death, and if you happen to kill some of them a palace guard comes around the corner and gives you a headbutt, which instantly kills you.
If anybody knows a good strategy for this enemy, I'd like to hear it. It was so damn easy on normal difficulty, but it certainly seems way to hard on insane.
mickcenary said:
See, I recall one of the loading screen tips saying that a perfect Active Reload gives you a faster reload. Is there even a damage boost? Maybe it's an SP-exclusive perk.
There's three types of reloading, perfect active, active and normal reload. And we're talking about milliseconds (if not a single millisecond) between the perfect active and the active reload, I don't think that could be the only benefit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
mickcenary said:

No, you get buffs as well. The longshot does get a bigger bullet for easier headshots. Lancer/hammerburst/retro do more damage. The scorcher is a weapon I never use but I think the active makes it really fucking good as well as boosting the distance it shoots.

george_us

canadian crowe said:
I don't know. I love me some Uncharted 2, and nothing has topped the building climb yet, but the
highway chase scene
was pretty close IMO.
I just got to Act IV now and nothing so far has even come close to any of Uncharted 2's set pieces. The scene you mentioned was good but doesn't hold a candle stuff like the first ten minutes of U2, basically the entirety of Nepal, the Train, Tibet, or especially Shambhala. Honestly the level design in this game hasn't really been all that impressive. I need to know what sort of devilry they pulled to get that lighting out of the Xbox 'cause holy shit.

Tawpgun

I can snipe people's dicks off in CoD

I'm nasty with the Halo sniper

But I can't use the Gears sniper for shit. Maybe its bad hitdetection but goddamn. I pretty much skip over it all the time.

jackdoe

vodka-bull said:
Yeah, we tried it as a team of 3 for the past 3 hours and didn't success. I bet there's some strategy for this beast, as it was with Raam (alternating Torque Bow and Sniper Headshot) but we haven't figured out yet.
Also, the most annoying enemies at this chapter are the little MG balloons, fucking bastards are literally everywhere shooting everyone to death, and if you happen to kill some of them a palace guard comes around the corner and gives you a headbutt, which instantly kills you.
If anybody knows a good strategy for this enemy, I'd like to hear it. It was so damn easy on normal difficulty, but it certainly seems way to hard on insane.
Haha. I don't even want to think about that on insane. It was a pain in the ass on Hardcore, with
all the respawning enemies. But at least on hardcore, you could ignore them for the most part and concentrate fire on the queen. On insane, you wouldn't be able to take enough damage to go with that technique. Also, the fact that you can't aim that high vertically screws up your entire cover system when the queen attaches itself to the tower.

A27 Tawpgun said:
But I can't use the Gears sniper for shit. Maybe its bad hitdetection but goddamn. I pretty much skip over it all the time.
Gears 2 sniper rifle was extremely easy to use. Not so much in this game (at least for me).

malfcn

A27 Tawpgun said:
I can snipe people's dicks off in CoD

I'm nasty with the Halo sniper

I am not that great an sniping, so personally I can't comment. But a friend of me completely shits on people with the sniper and boltok. Of his kills, 9/10 will be head shots. I don't know how he does it.

I think the detection is a lot better. Almost perfect (maybe just me). In Gears 2 it was bad, and they patched headshots once or twice. Even active reloads wouldn't always register. Gears of War 3 is almost too good.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Good games Shogun and your buddies.

Some of these matches I'm just not happy what Gears may be becoming.

A lot of times people will just sit in a spot (power weapons) with sawed offs and not budge, other times you have the sawed off brigade coming at you from all angles.

Hoping the community learns how to deal with this, or that the shit stops, but it's not fun when it happens.

jediyoshi

A27 Tawpgun said:

Same, I can snipe fine in Space Marine though. I think the problem for me is that I lose my sense of direction and what I'm looking at when I bring up the scope. Other games have a bit smoother camera transitions between each step.

People really LIKED the Shambalia section in UC2? Even the developers admitted that was the weakest part of the whole thing. I mean I like UC2 as much as the next guy, but lets not act like its some flawless masterpiece of gaming design, here.

And why are we talking about this is a Gears 3 thread?

Dug

Banned
I beat it. I actually fucking beat it. The Locust became suddenly stupid and only managed to down me but not chainsaw me(don't get me fucking started) or execute me(also angry about that). Never. Again. Not on Insane at least.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The Antitype said:
Awesome.

Three people shooting a guy with a lancer, he runs up and kills two of us with a sawed-off in one shot. We were 5, maybe 7 feet apart. Runs away while being fired at, still lives.

Three lancers.

Terrible. Just fucking terrible.

Sounds like he was better than them.

The Antitype said:
As a competitive map, Overpass is god-awful.

What? Overpass is dominated by medium-long range weapons and you don't like it? I thought that is what you wanted?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That brings up another point. Did they nerf the stopping power on the lancer? I lancered the shit out of a guy running at me with sawed off (he wasn't wallbouncing) and he still got in range.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
vodka-bull said:

Bigger bullet resulting in an easier headshot.

Net_Wrecker said:
The problem with both Sandbar, and Overpass are the SAME problems we had with Trenches and Thrashball in the beta, respectively. Sandbar is pretty much split by the huge cliff and the water so it becomes a "who can hold the middle" map because of obvious flanking routes, and Overpass is "who can hold the high ground" with limited routes up there. The same problems as the beta maps which were both fixed by adding new areas/routes in retail.

And I repeat, the SOS users are straight bitches. Ugh. With the Lancer, and Hammerburst being as good as they are, there was absolutely NO need for the SOS to be a starting weapon if it's truly there as a noob weapon and not created by Epic just to troll people.

A lot of the maps are spawn camp heavy, checkout still is, that's for sure. And like you mentioned, Sandbar is bad for it too.

I don't like most of the maps, Drydock is terrible and again, it's way easy to spawn camp. All these maps need the trenches/thrashball treatment.

Alienshogun said:
That brings up another point. Did they nerf the stopping power on the lancer? I lancered the shit out of a guy running at me with sawed off (he wasn't wallbouncing) and he still got in range.

I don't know, it worked me fine yesterday. Stopped a lot of stupid sawed-off players rushing straight out at me or rolling.

canadian crowe said:
This game is jam packed with set pieces, maybe even more than Uncharted.

Also, The beginning of Act 4 is fantastic. Highlight of the game so far.

Jam packed with set pieces?? More than uncharted?? I beat Gears 3 earlier and it wasn't much for set pieces...at least nothing really caught my attention. Fighting inside a huge beast in Gears 2 is more memorable than anything I can think of in Gears 3....different opinions I guess.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
LeonSKennedy90 said:
I don't know, it worked me fine yesterday. Stopped a lot of stupid sawed-off players rushing straight out at me or rolling.

Could have just been the lag playing with a Euro party leader.

Just finished Act 4..I'll be glad when it's over. I have been doing an Act at a time over the last few days and I don't find anything sticking with me in regards to the story, gameplay and more than anything, the characters.

It's cool to hear Wallace doing one of the voices, but never before have I been aware of a a game's dialogue being recorded in a sound booth. It's super nit picky, but the way everyone ends their sentences sound like a line reading, not a conversation.

Game looks great, so there's a positive.

-EDIT-
Another nitpick..I don't think the sound mix is very good. I thought it was just my TV speakers so I turned on the surround sound and the guns have no balls to them, volume wise. I even pushed the effects level to it's max. Dialogue and music are fine..maybe I'm spoiled by those BC2 guns. Each one sounds like a cannon.

vodka-bull said:

There's three types of reloading, perfect active, active and normal reload. And we're talking about milliseconds (if not a single millisecond) between the perfect active and the active reload, I don't think that could be the only benefit.

Ohhhhh, okay. I thought nailing it in the tiny little white segment was both the Perfect Active and Active; that is to say, one and the same thing. I forget that you can actually stop it in the grey area to speed things up, which I'm guessing yields no benefit but timeliness.

Anyway, I was up until 3 in the morning playing TDM with seemingly flawless connections. And even though I may curse at SOSers/noob teammates or scream when I do something insanely stupid... It's just THAT good a game. I'm not going to take it out of my xbox.

DanielJr82

So I tried a couple of matches of every Versus mode and I... don't really care any of them? (Rant ahead!) King of the Hill and TDM were ok, but the rest were not my cup of tea. There are too many nuances and quirks that seasoned veterans of the series exploit: wall hopping, timing rolls for that one-hit kill with the shotty of choice, corner view without cover, SOS camping, etc. Why do shotguns always feel like cheap kills? Why is that? Everybody bitches about the SOS, but the Gnasher does one-hit kills, too. Then there are power weapon pick ups. Why? It's literally a foot race to the same spots over and over to either: a) pick up the weapon or b) use weapon as bait. Or hey, if you're the clever type you can plant a frag in there! This exercise happens in every.single.mode! And more than half of the game modes is about eliminating other players. They can't come up with other goals or objectives?

Sorry for bitching, it's a complaint I've had with the series since Gears 1. I'll keep playing Versus every once in a while but I won't be a regular. Horde 2.0 and Beast Mode are just right, though. I'll definitely keep coming back for those. Horde 2.0 in particular is a huge improvement: barriers, decoys, troikas, level up system, it's all awesome. Beast mode I only tried it twice, but will definitely come back for more. And the campaign is stellar, cheesy scenes and all.

I love Gears as singleplayer or co-op. For Versus stuff I guess I'm more of a Battlefield/CoD player, never cared for Halo either. =/

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
DanielJr82 said:
So I tried a couple of matches of every Versus mode and I... don't really care any of them? (Rant ahead!) King of the Hill and TDM were ok, but the rest were not my cup of tea. There are too many nuances and quirks that seasoned veterans of the series exploit: wall hopping, timing rolls for that one-hit kill with the shotty of choice, corner view without cover, SOS camping, etc. Why do shotguns always feel like cheap kills? Why is that? Everybody bitches about the SOS, but the Gnasher does one-hit kills, too. Then there are power weapon pick ups. Why? It's literally a foot race to the same spots over and over to either: a) pick up the weapon or b) use weapon as bait. Or hey, if you're the clever type you can plant a frag in there! This exercise happens in every.single.mode! And more than half of the game modes is about eliminating other players. They can't come up with other goals or objectives?

Sorry for bitching, it's a complaint I've had with the series since Gears 1. I'll keep playing Versus every once in a while but I won't be a regular. Horde 2.0 and Beast Mode are just right, though. I'll definitely keep coming back for those. Horde 2.0 in particular is a huge improvement: barriers, decoys, troikas, level up system, it's all awesome. Beast mode I only tried it twice, but will definitely come back for more. And the campaign is stellar, cheesy scenes and all.

I love Gears as singleplayer or co-op. For Versus stuff I guess I'm more of a Battlefield/CoD player, never cared for Halo either. =/

Sounds like you just don't care for arena shooters.

ShogunX

Alienshogun said:
Good games Shogun and your buddies.

Yeah good games. Dancake is a member here on Gaf but the others aren't just yet. Shame about that first match on Drydock and it really highlighted how powerful and effective the SOS can be when paired with camping tactics.

That was the first time I have ever lost on that map but after seeing the way it can be played Drydock will definitely be going on the shit list along with Sandbar. Hopefully we can play again sometime and have a better split of Euro/American players.

Our little team we have going nightly have something like 154 wins and 16 losses in ranked matchmaking so we are doing ok so far. Problem has been once we run into a very well organised team who lock down the map quickly we do tend to struggle and normally end up having to refocus and come from behind.

The thing about the Sawed-Off is I feel a lot of people are just using it wrong. Blindly rushing in? That's such a silly one-dimensional strategy, and we got rifles with stopping power, you're done. Hiding around a corner when you're the last man standing? Yeah ok, you got one cheesy kill, now you're dead while the other 4 point you out and hunt you down while you reload your gun for half a hour.

To me, I think its a defensive weapon. You don't rush them, they rush you, then you blow their damn face off. They try to approach your territory, be it a power weapon you and a teammate run towards, or the hill in KotH, you get a free shot to overrule their advances.

And when you're not doing that, you're being stealthy and taking advantage of the other team's bad situational awareness. I don't mean hiding behind a corner, I mean flanking and surprising people. There's no radar and no UAV in this, you have to look over your shoulder every few seconds, and if your opponents don't, there's no better weapon to handle it then the SOS.

But everyone is so content with rushing in and hiding behind corners :/

At any rate, sorry I couldn't make the Horde game tonight, Gaf. Real life has a way of coming in and taking importance, rude mistress she is. But, I'm gonna go in so HARD on this shit this weekend, and I like to finally play with PXG, Alienshogun, and the lot of you sometime. So SICK of randoms

RS4-

Yesterday I had nothing but hate and annoyance with Overpass. After today, it's Sandbar.

Overpass isn't bad for Horde though

Ramirez

Just made it to wave 38 with a bunch of randoms, and then one dropped. :( Pretty sure we could have done all 50, that sucks. What's with people who don't spend their money in Horde mode though? I've seen it in every game I've played...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shogun PaiN said:
Yeah good games. Dancake is a member here on Gaf but the others aren't just yet. Shame about that first match on Drydock and it really highlighted how powerful and effective the SOS can be when paired with camping tactics.

That was the first time I have ever lost on that map but after seeing the way it can be played Drydock will definitely be going on the shit list along with Sandbar. Hopefully we can play again sometime and have a better split of Euro/American players.

Our little team we have going nightly have something like 154 wins and 16 losses in ranked matchmaking so we are doing ok so far. Problem has been once we run into a very well organised team who lock down the map quickly we do tend to struggle and normally end up having to refocus and come from behind.

Yeah, that was crap, I'm really hoping that isn't the route Gears is going. It is what it is though, we ran through the other 3 matches before I got off.

Good games overall though, and yeah, hopefully we can find a good medium for a server next time.

ShaneB

LifEndz said:
I was loving it when my teammates were helping me hold it down. If everyones not working on keeping dudes back it definitely is not the place to be on the later levels.

I've just never been a huge fan of any of the maps that have a primary area with only one entrance, the best maps always have multiple pathways to everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom