• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Antitype said:
So... why do they call ranked matches 'Ranked' if there's no fucking ranking system of any kind? I just played a few rounds of ranked TDM for the hell of it (I usually play quickmatch), and (as a lvl 23) was immediately put in a match full of people in the upper 30s and 40s.

Oh Epic.... *shakes my head sadly*

Ranked matches players up according to their invisible Trueskill ratings, which are separate from experience levels. XP means nothing.

So far the most fun I've had with this game has been the meta-game I created for myself to screw with the self-aggrandizing douchebags that have no idea how to play a team game.

You know the type. Come into the game all loud-mouthed about how great they are, but only play for the sake of their K/D. You can be right along side them, supporting them and dealing damage to enemies to ensure they win the shotgun duel, but god forbid they turn around and help you when you tell them you've got enemies coming from the rear.

So when this happens, I laugh and go hide. Turn the match into a 5-on-4, and let Mr. badass get his K/D knocked down a few notches. Hearing him whine after the match about how I wasn't doing anything, and indeed, allowing the other team to score a free kill to end the match (last one alive) put a huge smile on my face.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The Antitype said:
So... why do they call ranked matches 'Ranked' if there's no fucking ranking system of any kind? I just played a few rounds of ranked TDM for the hell of it (I usually play quickmatch), and (as a lvl 23) was immediately put in a match full of people in the upper 30s and 40s.

Oh Epic.... *shakes my head sadly*

No bots and truskill

-PXG- said:
xbox.com is still fucked up so I'm unable to add people.

It's gonna be fun running around as a Kantus tomorrow. I've only seen one person with it. No Savage Therons or SGEs either.
ah i gotcha. i'll wait it out.

Am I the only one who is a bit surprised that Gears have not... how to put it - Broken down the internet with release hype? I'm sure the sales will be great, but are we beginning to see too many "end of trilogies" for the entire gaming world to go "apeshit insane"?

I recall when Halo 3 came out, everyone made such a big deal about it being the end of the trilogy.

I get the feeling that people are not as easily excited about these series ending!?

If this really is the last Gears of War, remake all the multiplayer maps ever from 1 and 2 and put them in this game. Even the shitty ones. Just port them over. No need to re-do them like Gridlock III. I'd buy them all for no more than $10, though.

DaNcaKe

Anyone else noticed that sometimes the pistol let's you fire as fast as you can, and other times there is a cap as to how fast you can shoot that severely gimps it?

It seems to vary server to server for me.

Vigilant Walrus said:
Am I the only one who is a bit surprised that Gears have not... how to put it - Broken down the internet with release hype? I'm sure the sales will be great, but are we beginning to see too many "end of trilogies" for the entire gaming world to go "apeshit insane"?

I recall when Halo 3 came out, everyone made such a big deal about it being the end of the trilogy.

I get the feeling that people are not as easily excited about these series ending!?

Gears has never, and probably will never be as popular or hyped as Halo.

You'll see plenty of internet-breaking when the end of the Modern Warfare trilogy hits though, if that's what you're looking for.

DanielJr82

Vigilant Walrus said:
Cliff Blezinski has gone on record saying he wanted the launch to be perfect. No crashed servers or "breaking the internet." I think he succeeded. Gears 3 broke pre-order records for Xbox 360 exclusives after all, surpassing Halo 3 if I'm not mistaken.

Hey Cliffy, since your're lurking in this thread, care to explain why you opted to ruin Gears of War with the sawed-off shotgun?

I mean seriously, you've been making multiplayer shooters long enough to know that any weapon forgiving enough to be effective in the hands of new players will only be MORE powerful once players who know what they're doing learn to exploit it.

And really, is the notion that 'oh, well it's a good counter-punch for people who stay in cover' really the justification? Cause last I checked, staying in cover for an extended period got you killed plenty well in Gears and Gears 2, just because the standard shotgun was ALREADY forgiving and powerful enough.

Please elaborate on this weapon's purpose beyond encouraging players to forgo cover, tactics and teamwork and opt only to a) camp behind corners and wait for people or b) sprint around the map and insta-killing people because the medium-range weapons take so long to achieve a down.

Thanks!

vodka-bull said:
A third to half a clip of a hammerburst is too long?

Yep. Combine the firing-speed with the actual effort required to aim (not applicable to the shotguns), and it takes longer to kill a dude than it takes him to sprint from mid-range to close range for the kill.

This of course, renders the mid-range weapons useless, which is why 99% of players just run around with the shotgun, turning the game into a one-note experience.

Really bad design.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
The Antitype said:
Yep. Combine the firing-speed with the actual effort required to aim (not applicable to the shotguns), and it takes longer to kill a dude than it takes him to sprint from mid-range to close range for the kill.

Really bad design.

Then use a fucking shotgun if they're mid or close range. That's the point, shotguns will have a damage advantage but a range disadvantage.

Using your logic, I can complain about the sawed-off because its range isn't long enough to kill someone shooting at me from long range with a Hammerburst.

Lakitu

st5fu
I reached Act 3 last night... what a ride. It's the best Gears campaign by far IMO.

Dom :( :( :( I wasn't expecting that...

Superimposer said:
Then use a fucking shotgun if they're mid or close range. That's the point, shotguns will have a damage advantage but a range disadvantage.

Using your logic, I can complain about the sawed-off because its range isn't long enough to kill someone shooting at me from long range with a Hammerburst.

My point is that the shotguns essentially bypass their range disadvantage because players can waltz through gun-fire for a one-shot in less time than it takes to kill those players with the mid-range weapons.

If you can't understand how allowing people to sprint through gunfire for one-shot kills with weapons that don't require aiming devalues mid-range offense....

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
How much longer will the season pass be available?

The Antitype said:
My point is that the shotguns essentially bypass their range disadvantage because players can waltz through gun-fire for a one-shot in less time than it takes to kill those players with the mid-range weapons.

If you can't understand how allowing people to sprint through gunfire for one-shot kills with weapons that don't require aiming devalues mid-range offense....

That's why I'm saying, if using a shotgun works in that situation, use a shotgun. Or aim better.

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
The Antitype said:

any chance of you putting a sock in it sunshine? the last few pages seem to be nothing but you giving it large about how broken pretty much everything is.

LowParry

I haven't had too much problems with the SOS. It's just a matter of keeping yourself spaced at close combat. However an active reloaded SOS is nasty as hell. I just prefer to use the Gnasher. More fun and feels more rewarding with hip fire kills.

Retro Lancer is pretty godly. That thing with an active is just as bad ass as the SOS with an active. I've always thought of Gears is about positioning rather than the weapon of choice in MP. Good times!

mr afghan jones said:
any chance of you putting a sock in it sunshine? the last few pages seem to be nothing but you giving it large about how broken pretty much everything is.

Yeah, I'm done. Any future posts will be about how awesome Horde mode 2.0 is.

Beat the game today. I love that unique Gears style gameplay. It just never gets old. Will dive into competitive multiplayer tomorrow.

Also the lighting effects are absolutely incredible in this game.

Hixx

The Antitype said:

Most of my kills and downs come from Lancering people who rush without using cover, they're basically free kills. In fact I've seen more rifle gameplay in a few hours of this then I did in 1+2 combined so obviously experiences are varying.

edit: just sharing my thoughts, understand if you're finished with the conversation :p

54-46!

Still undecided whether I should buy a 360 again just to play this one game (maybe Bayonetta as well), I played a ton of Gears 1 MP and loved it to death. I hope they'll drop the price on the 360 in the coming months.

malfcn said:
Other than games having BS stuff happening..how do you know if servers are up or down? I never see an indicator.

They really need to include a server status indicator on the matchmaking screen. As long as you never see host migration or tons of people quitting out of matches then you're probably good...

LosDaddie

Banned
Good games last night, See5sharp, WaynoLOL, Adam Blade, and Zyzomny! :)

Horde mode is so fun. And I was happy my connection didn't lag out for anyone.

Apoc87

Banned
Anyone know how to keep track of how many horde waves you have completed so far? Since they're all unlocked from the start.

LosDaddie said:
Good games last night, See5sharp, WaynoLOL, Adam Blade, and Zyzomny! :)

Horde mode is so fun. And I was happy my connection didn't lag out for anyone.
Yeah, it was fun. There has to be an easier way to kill those
Lambent Zerkers
in Horde. :(

Adam Blade said:
Yeah, it was fun. There has to be an easier way to kill those
Lambent Zerkers
in Horde. :(
I was wondering why we were always getting the same boss:
Lambent Beserker
. I was hoping
after we all died and restarted Wave 40 multiple times
to see some other bosses.

I am impressed with the netcode. We were playing Horde with one person in the United Kingdom, another in Florida, one person in California, and me in Quebec
Canada
. I am not sure where the fifth person was playing. I did not notice any lag.

Good game Seesharp, Kiryani, LosDaddies, and Adam Blade. We will have to try again, but maybe on a different map. I hate
Lambent Beserkers
!

Willeth

Apoc87 said:
Anyone know how to keep track of how many horde waves you have completed so far? Since they're all unlocked from the start.
The war journal tracks chunks of ten waves on the achievement page, but that's as close as you get.

Also! The guy who was going to get me a Mechanic Baird and Savage Grenadier code is an eternal douche and has decided he's not going to any more because of being a dick. If anyone has any going spare I'd love to add my voice into the throng, although I'm afraid I don't have much to trade. I might be able to wrangle a couple of Dom codes but I can't promise anything.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Aspiring said:
This happened to me. We were killing it, wave 20 and host disconnection, back to wave 10. All thy time. All those ribbons and points awarded gone.

What the hell is this? I thought multiplayer was done on servers now?

Dyno

Played a bunch of single player last night. It's just so good all around. I've got the controls up to +15 and it moves like a dream. The fights are really varied but also very fast. They're over quickly and there are quite a few more cutscenes (albeit short ones) than I expected.

There are internet problems at home but hopefully I'll get into some MP this weekend.

Oh and I LOVE the menu lobby. Very Halo, very professional, it's a tight, content heavy product all the way around.

Though if I was going to nit-pick I would say that while I loved the Cole Thrashball chapter, I would have like it to be less scripted and with a bigger battle on the Thrashball field.

ced

Vilix said:
What the hell is this? I thought multiplayer was done on servers now?

I just came in here to post the same damn thing.

I did my first Horde game last night and it took forever to find a game cause it kept aborting on the connection tests. When I finally got in a game, it was laggy. We got to about wave 16 and then got the host disconnected message and it reset us back to wave 6 and lost all gear, upgrades etc. Oh and this was coming off a bunch of VS games with zero lag, so it wasn't my connection.

So I guess Horde is P2P and Versus is servers.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
ced said:
I just came in here to post the same damn thing.

I did my first Horde game last night and it took forever to find a game cause it kept aborting on the connection tests. When I finally got in a game, it was laggy. We got to about wave 16 and then got the host disconnected message and it reset us back to wave 6 and lost all gear, upgrades etc. Oh and this was coming off a bunch of VS games with zero lag, so it wasn't my connection.

So I guess Horde is P2P and Versus is servers.

I'll be disappointed if this is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom