• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ughhhhhhhh, what a terrible night for me in Versus. When I wasn't getting matched against 4-5 person squads and getting poopoo'd on, I'd actually have a decent match but the rest of my team would suck ass and cause us to lose. Was not working for me at all tonight.

J-Roderton

Started the game tonight, finally. Has to be one of the best looking games I've played, graphically. Loving how the story is going so far. I'm having a lot of fun co-oping it with friends.

Jumped back into multiplayer. Pretty much how I remember from the beta. Still good.

Loving beast mode. It's pretty cool to control a mauler. Having fun with that so far.

Not feeling the campaign so far. Digging the looks and lighting effects and seemingly wider vistas, but even on hardcore it seems way too easy and yet I'm getting insta-downed quite a bit.

The game seems focused on co-op to the extent that it weakens the single player experience overall. Also has the Resistance 2 problem of big baddies putting all of their focus on YOU regardless of what the allied AI is up to.

That aside, I'm really looking forward to some co-op here, as it looks like the game would really unfold a thousand times better that way. Its also a full friggin package, with the extended multiplayer suite including BOTS. Thanks for the bots Epic, seriously.

dmg04 said:
That awkward moment when you can tell the game is box to box rather than using dedicated servers

Were the servers not on for a time tonight or something? Cause I swear I was getting dumped on one minute like I've never played Gears before, then the next match I'm dancing on fools who can't hit me while I get 15(!) straight kills. Felt like some ol Gears 1 or 2 bowlshyt to me.

BeeDog

NullPointer said:
Not feeling the campaign so far. Digging the looks and lighting effects and seemingly wider vistas, but even on hardcore it seems way too easy and yet I'm getting insta-downed quite a bit.

The game seems focused on co-op to the extent that it weakens the single player experience overall. Also has the Resistance 2 problem of big baddies putting all of their focus on YOU regardless of what the allied AI is up to.

That aside, I'm really looking forward to some co-op here, as it looks like the game would really unfold a thousand times better that way. Its also a full friggin package, with the extended multiplayer suite including BOTS. Thanks for the bots Epic, seriously.

It's absolutely incredible that so few current-gen console games provide bots. I hope the inclusion of them in GeOW3 prompts more devs to include them.

Arjen

End of ACT3 spoilers.

God damn EPIC, i was not expecting that at all, what the fuck :(
And was it just me and my friends sucking, or did anyone else had some trouble with that lambent berserker?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Net_Wrecker said:
Were the servers not on for a time tonight or something? Cause I swear I was getting dumped on one minute like I've never played Gears before, then the next match I'm dancing on fools who can't hit me while I get 15(!) straight kills. Felt like some ol Gears 1 or 2 bowlshyt to me.
Pretty much. Just played a few matches and couldn't get a kill

Example A
I'm in cover, no damage on me, with an active reload Retro Lancer
Dude walking up ramp on trenches, i lean out of cover and start pegging him.
He somehow takes me down first, even though half my body was in cover and i was shooting the shit out of him

Example B
Every time i tried to do the 'hop over cover and kick that shit in the face', i'd go halfway over the thing, then be set back to my original cover spot and have mr shit kicking me in the face :(

All to obvious

BeeDog said:
It's absolutely incredible that so few current-gen console games provide bots. I hope the inclusion of them in GeOW3 prompts more devs to include them.
If anything gets me to wade into the cesspit of rolling shotgunning, wall bouncing online ninjas it'll be bot support and Horde that gets me used to the maps and the different movements and tactics needed in multiplayer.

Or hell, maybe I'll never jump into that fray, but I'll still play versus all the same, and for the bean counters at these companies I'll probably end up getting map packs just for the variety and Horde. That's a win-win. Thanks to bots :)

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Arjen said:
End of ACT3 spoilers.

God damn EPIC, i was not expecting that at all, what the fuck :(
And was it just me and my friends sucking, or did anyone else had some trouble with that lambent berserker?
Yes, that guy is tough to take down in co-op.

dagZ

jesus, horde is a lot harder in gears 3 than 2. Just finished all 50 waves, but had to restart wave 50 about 10 times. The problem was we didn't have any money for anything so we had to wing it with two torrents. It was amazingly fun though.

cresto

SPACECADET said:
can't wait till gaf gears 4 starts adding people. not hitting the highs of this game with randoms.
Rolling with four other decent people with mic's makes this game infinitely better. You have to get in on it!

-PXG-

SPACECADET said:
can't wait till gaf gears 4 starts adding people. not hitting the highs of this game with randoms.
xbox.com is still fucked up so I'm unable to add people.

It's gonna be fun running around as a Kantus tomorrow. I've only seen one person with it. No Savage Therons or SGEs either.

lush

It's a shame the SOS ends up ruining most KOTH matches, always been my favorite gametype to play. I swear it wasn't this bad yesterday, tonight I've run into several 5 man teams where every single player is using the SOS. Ugh....

see5harp

To me the SOS is fine in modes like KOTH. It's modes like Wingman and Execution that suffer from the SOS because it almost always turns into hide and seek like Gears 1 with the sniper active. You don't need to stay in the zone or anything. Pull back with your retro lancer and you have like one or two automatic kills.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Haven't figured out the retro lancer yet, how is it supposed to be used? The aim seems worse than the hammerburst, the recoil is worse than both and fire rate is worse than the lancer.

Not sure how I'm supposed to wield this bad boy.

Played some brief MP with ransoms yesterday and it really does detract from the experience. Sometimes you get guys who know how to play as a unit and sometimes not. So annoying.

Gonna ha e to start playing with gaffers but I don't think my request to tri was accepted yet!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
kaizoku said:
Haven't figured out the retro lancer yet, how is it supposed to be used? The aim seems worse than the hammerburst, the recoil is worse than both and fire rate is worse than the lancer.

Played some brief MP with ransoms yesterday and it really does detract from the experience. Sometimes you get guys who know how to play as a unit and sometimes not. So annoying.

Gonna ha e to start playing with gaffers but I don't think my request to tri was accepted yet!

Retro excels in short to almost mid range. The damage is killer and can easily trounce gnasher users, but if you try to get people running away you need to feather the trigger and get the rhythm down to handle the recoil.

kaizoku said:

The Retro excels in close quarters combat, don't waste your time using it in any other combat situation. I used to say it was the best "shotgun" in the beta because its hipfire was crazy accurate and it's the strongest of the three rifles, but now they've fortunately fixed that by adding a monstrous recoil.

Anyhow, my personal trick is to hard aim and fire it like you would a Hammerburst: tapping the trigger as fast as you can. You'll still feel the recoil but for some reason it's much easier to control that way, and the rate of fire will be nearly the same as the standard auto.

It's a great weapon to deal with players rushing at you with the DBS/Gnasher as long as they do it in a straight line (which seems to be the only "tactic" people use lately).

EDIT: Goddamn. Ninja'd by my tendency to write overly long posts. :(

finished. now to read the spoilers thread.

7.5/10

the campaign is wayyy too easy and had a lot of ho-hum bits. Story was alright but I wish they did
explain the queen's human look

kaizoku

Papercuts said:
Retro excels in short to almost mid range. The damage is killer and can easily trounce gnasher users, but if you try to get people running away you need to feather the trigger and get the rhythm down to handle the recoil.
I remember it being really good with hipfire in the beta, is this still true? How is it for blindfiring from cover?

Why is it so good for KOTH? Cos it's so good for rushing in and downing everyone or cos of the melee or what?

mickcenary said:
I do see what you're saying, but it really loses so much its charm without the heavy emphasis on shotgunnin'. Epic has designed maybe the most satisfying game mechanic I've ever seen in a shooter. That being said, it does has a VERY steep learning curve, so I can see why some are put off, but the pay-off is pure gaming nirvana. People use it because it's fun. And AI just doesn't compare to "human smarts". That's why I probably won't even touch Horde. Again, as you said: different reasons.

And the power weapons are DEFINITELY as useful. It's ridiculous how often people ignore them, leaving me to triple my KDR just like that.

Oh believe me, I understand the appeal. There's nothing quite like the feeling of dive-rolling around a guy and turning him into mulch with a shotgun blast.

My problem is that I don't really feel like the 'aiming' is more a matter of 'kinda center him on the screen and hope for the best' as it was in the original Gears of War. It's actually not much of a learning curve - both my K/D and W/L are around 2.0.

I am starting to warm up to it again, but mostly in modes like King of the Hill or Capture the Leader, where you can balance the guys that run-and-roll with the shotgun, with guys that flank through cover, provide support fire and downs. I do wish there was a Kills+Downs/Death ratio though, cause my downs are DOUBLE my kills, lol.

kaizoku

Seth Balmore said:
The Retro excels in close quarters combat, don't waste your time using it in any other combat situation. I used to say it was the best "shotgun" in the beta because its hipfire was crazy accurate and it's the strongest of the three rifles, but now they've fortunately fixed that by adding a monstrous recoil.

Anyhow, my personal trick is to hard aim and fire it like you would a Hammerburst: tapping the trigger as fast as you can. You'll still feel the recoil but for some reason it's much easier to control that way, and the rate of fire will be nearly the same as the standard auto.

It's a great weapon to deal with players rushing at you with the DBS/Gnasher as long as they do it in a straight line (which seems to be the only "tactic" people use lately).

EDIT: Goddamn. Ninja'd by my tendency to write overly long posts. :(
Wellyou pretty much preemptively answered my follow up so cheers ;)

Papercuts

kaizoku said:
I remember it being really good with hipfire in the beta, is this still true? How is it for blindfiring from cover?

Why is it so good for KOTH? Cos it's so good for rushing in and downing everyone or cos of the melee or what?

A lot of people in KOTH try to defend the spot with obvious sawn off camping or rolling around with the gnasher, so the retro is a good way to get a quick down and take a meatshield. I actually think a lot of people forget/don't realize you can tap up on the dpad with a meatshield to attach a grenade, because I was getting a lot of multikills with that earlier. Down with retro, pick up and slap a frag on their back, roll back and watch the points rake in.

The Antitype said:
Oh believe me, I understand the appeal. There's nothing quite like the feeling of dive-rolling around a guy and turning him into mulch with a shotgun blast.

My problem is that I don't really feel like the 'aiming' is more a matter of 'kinda center him on the screen and hope for the best' as it was in the original Gears of War. It's actually not much of a learning curve - both my K/D and W/L are around 2.0.

I am starting to warm up to it again, but mostly in modes like King of the Hill or Capture the Leader, where you can balance the guys that run-and-roll with the shotgun, with guys that flank through cover, provide support fire and downs. I do wish there was a Kills+Downs/Death ratio though, cause my downs are DOUBLE my kills, lol.

Kills+downs/death ratio would be NUTS, haha. I usually get just as many downs as kills because of the retro, so I was frequently getting stuff like 18 kills, 18 downs, 3 deaths. By some fluke of nature I'm at 3.1 kdr for TDM, I'm amazed by how people just run straight fucking at me constantly.

Papercuts said:
I actually think a lot of people forget/don't realize you can tap up on the dpad with a meatshield to attach a grenade, because I was getting a lot of multikills with that earlier. Down with retro, pick up and slap a frag on their back, roll back and watch the points rake in.
Yeah, haha. It's a very underrated tactic. I fell in love with it after a play on Checkout where I was lucky to down and meatshield a dude who had just picked the frags. Bag n' tagged him using one of HIS frags and got a quad. Good times :)

Xevren

I only have 2 things that would make me happy. Increase the radius for us to be able to revive people, it's a huge pain in the ass sometimes and it just comes down to mashing X most of the time and just hoping it registers. And then make it the same for executions. Annoying!

So, just to confirm, there is no way to actually control WHERE the digger comes out of the ground and explodes? You just have to maneuver around until the highlighter indicator lands around where you need it? Feels janky.

Aspiring

So I spent around 4 hours today playing just online. How amazing is this game? So much fun. Anyway I Played beast mode for a bit and just wondered something. Is it possible to play it like left 4 dead and have the humans against the beasts player controlled, rather than having the humans AI?

-PXG- said:
We just got done DESTROYING people in KOTH. Christ.

Wow you played a lot, you're gonna catch me at this rate!

BTW I'm level 57 because I got the game like a week earlier, though I didn't play much versus before release. So yeah I'm a little addicted lol AND I wanted to be The Hoff as soon as possible, cause that's the way it's meant to be played.

Had a lot of fun with you guys btw, some good shit.

Papercuts

Seth Balmore said:
Yeah, haha. It's a very underrated tactic. I fell in love with it after a play on Checkout where I was lucky to down and meatshield a dude who had just picked the frags. Bag n' tagged him using one of HIS frags and got a quad. Good times :)

Yeah checkout is great for stuff like that. I've only used the frag grenade suicide while down once, but it got me a quad kill on that map. Pretty much saw medals popping on screen for a good 5 seconds, haha.

The Antitype said:
So, just to confirm, there is no way to actually control WHERE the digger comes out of the ground and explodes? You just have to maneuver around until the highlighter indicator lands around where you need it? Feels janky.

I never aim it, takes too long. Just look to the air without holding LT(which while aiming basically makes the arc longer) and shoot it, leading the shot as necessary. Try and either directly hit people with it or get damn close, because if you spend time trying to maneuver the shot or just blind fire it while aiming normally the thing is waaaay too slow, loud, and obvious to get anything done. I just went into private bot matches to test some digger stuff, you can do some pretty tricky stuff with it but it's hard to use well.

So... why do they call ranked matches 'Ranked' if there's no fucking ranking system of any kind? I just played a few rounds of ranked TDM for the hell of it (I usually play quickmatch), and (as a lvl 23) was immediately put in a match full of people in the upper 30s and 40s.

Oh Epic.... *shakes my head sadly*

JambiBum

Risk Breaker said:
Wow you played a lot, you're gonna catch me at this rate!

BTW I'm level 57 because I got the game like a week earlier, though I didn't play much versus before release. So yeah I'm a little addicted lol AND I wanted to be The Hoff as soon as possible, cause that's the way it's meant to be played.

Had a lot of fun with you guys btw, some good shit.
54 in less than 4 days :D

Maybe I'm late to the party on this, but this game is in serious need of a patch. Host quit in the middle of Horde tonight, and we not only jumped back about 20 waves, but I lost progression on my medals. Has this been discussed? Sorry if it has.

Yo, otherwise, this game is beyond amazing.

Ramirez

It's a shame how easily the SOS can ruin a match if a whole group of half decent players starts using it. Literally the only negative thing I have to say about the games MP, aside from some terrible spawns here and there.

I would kill for a playlist that didn't have it...

Aspiring

Crunchy20XX said:
Maybe I'm late to the party on this, but this game is in serious need of a patch. Host quit in the middle of Horde tonight, and we not only jumped back about 20 waves, but I lost progression on my medals. Has this been discussed? Sorry if it has.

Yo, otherwise, this game is beyond amazing.

This happened to me. We were killing it, wave 20 and host disconnection, back to wave 10. All thy time. All those ribbons and points awarded gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom