• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

iXx AnDy

Neo Member
Still not sure with the Dedicated servers at the mo... ran into some awfully powerful Portuguese players last night on eu server and lets just say 50/50 battles were more like 80/20... Still made it more interesting

Sawn off shotguns on Drydock = Reeeeeeeeeeeeeally FML
Cannot believe how CAMPY that map has become in the space of days...

Still an epic multiplayer experience

***** Horde Improvements

***** Beastmode (shame it wasnt against human players online would make the game mode like L4D Gears style)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
DaNcaKe said:
Anyone else noticed that sometimes the pistol let's you fire as fast as you can, and other times there is a cap as to how fast you can shoot that severely gimps it?

It seems to vary server to server for me.

Yep, it's really fucking odd.

Also, I got blamed for a rapid controller last night in the game with Shogun Pain, lol.

Man, fuck those Gunkers on Insane difficulty. They're tough enough alone, from far away, but then I get to face two on that bridge and then Epic gives me a Polyp and a Drudge (or that's what I think it is) to deal with, too. :lol I'm gonna need to upgrade to Gold like, now.

razu

Arnie said:
Gears multiplayer is very unique, cover and rifle fire play a huge part in that, but due to it's pace and proclivity for close quarters engagements, so do Shotguns and evasive tactics such as rolling.

This is it.

You can start off at long range, exchanging rifle fire from behind cover. Then use cover to get closer without being shot too much. Then switch weapons to shotgun and have a little close quarters scramble. Jumping around, over walls, round corners, running away, getting away with it, turning round and blowing someone's head off, or getting yours removed. Or maybe you get downed and you think it's all over, but then you see the dude's head implode and your friend runs in from off-screen and gets you up. WoooOOOoooOOOooo!!! It's all "Yay".

But then...

You can stay at long range and wait for support. Look out though, because that's when somebody else will pop out of nowhere and press a shotgun to your bumhole!

But then...

The part of the map you're in may be all twisty corridors, so you may bump into someone at close range. Switch to shotgun in this situation.

It's a case of fitting the gun to the current situation. If someone with a shotgun is nearby and you're clinging on to your Lancer, well good luck with that! Sometimes you'll win, but the chances aren't in your favour. Do the right thing, press left and do your best to investigate his innards.

I loved Gears1 and I'm loving Gears3. I find that I can't run around with the shotgun quite as much as I used to, but when I'm nearby then it's business as usual. Happy days...!

AkuMifune

Banned
LeonSKennedy90 said:
P2P, no social matchmaking so people can join Horde...

u dun fcked up cliffyb

Social Horde was such a great addition to 2. Hope it gets added in a TU at some point.

Hey, can I have a regular Campaign checkpoint and a separate Arcade checkpoint active at the same time, or just one?

LuchaShaq

Banned
Honestly HATED gears 1/2 mp. Majority of matches were people basically rolling the entire match with shotguns or I'd explode due to grenade spam 10 sec after spawning.

Maybe it's only because I've played in the casual play list but I've been doing really well from midrange in cover and it's been much more enjoyable. Really really surprised.

Bought the game today finally, had 2 hours before now to play as I have work but DAMN SON the online is legendary, outside of 3 laggy matches from problems my end the online is smooth as butter and the lag is near invisible most of the time, congrats epic you did a great job.

Love it.

LuchaShaq said:
Honestly HATED gears 1/2 mp. Majority of matches were people basically rolling the entire match with shotguns or I'd explode due to grenade spam 10 sec after spawning.

Maybe it's only because I've played in the casual play list but I've been doing really well from midrange in cover and it's been much more enjoyable. Really really surprised.

This could have very well been a post, word for word, by me. The first paragraph NAILS how I felt about the first two Gears' multiplayer. I tried the second one out a good deal, and that ALL it ever was in my experience. Just big lumberjacks rolling over and over with shotguns and sticky grenades.

But "so far", Ive actually had a great time with this one in limited play. We'll see if it holds up or if every game quickly breaks down to shotgun aerobics class.

Manus

So me and my roommate were looking to play online together on two separate TVs. We both can connect to Live fine and play online alone or with other people. Though when we try to join a lobby together it always fails. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Starting to getting annoyed with Horde. Getting reset 12 or so waves is not fun. Espcially when the first thing the rest of the players do is buy the command point at the spawn. Looking forward to playing with some other folks and I'm sure it will work alot better.

~ Zyzomys ~ said:
I was wondering why we were always getting the same boss:
Lambent Beserker
. I was hoping
after we all died and restarted Wave 40 multiple times
to see some other bosses.

I am impressed with the netcode. We were playing Horde with one person in the United Kingdom, another in Florida, one person in California, and me in Quebec
Canada
. I am not sure where the fifth person was playing. I did not notice any lag.

Good game Seesharp, Kiryani, LosDaddies, and Adam Blade. We will have to try again, but maybe on a different map. I hate
Lambent Beserkers
!
Yep, it was great, but I kinda feel bad for kiryani having only 1.5 hours of sleep.

Grr, I can't Gears until Sunday though.

LuchaShaq said:

Game becomes more and more about shotguns as you progress out of casual play (which is dumb, I just want to play with other randoms not organized teams.) Why? Because good players aren't gonna let you down him from a distance. They can weave like crazy, and because you go 100 mph when snapping against walls despite only walking 2 mph, the mid to long range gameplay that doesn't involve a win-hit-kill power weapon becomes more and more obsolete.

KOTH spawn time is too fast for the defending team. The attacking team gets spawn sandwiched too often. Spawning in general in some of these maps is just awful. COD awful.
The more I play these maps the less I like them, the more half of them kinda feel the same.
The lack of new modes is a damn shame.
Thank god I didn't buy this game.

Tadale

TheApatheticOne said:
This could have very well been a post, word for word, by me. The first paragraph NAILS how I felt about the first two Gears' multiplayer. I tried the second one out a good deal, and that ALL it ever was in my experience. Just big lumberjacks rolling over and over with shotguns and sticky grenades.

But "so far", Ive actually had a great time with this one in limited play. We'll see if it holds up or if every game quickly breaks down to shotgun aerobics class.

The first two weeks of Gears 1 were great. The game played exactly like I imagine it's supposed to, like a very tactical cover game. Two weeks later, it was discovered that you can roll around with the shotgun and eat everyone's lunch. I couldn't get back in to it after that, and moved on to Rainbow Six Vegas.

bumpkin

PXG and co., sorry I haven't been accepting game invites. I want to get through the SP campaign before I move onto playing some multi. :)

Anyway, I found some time last night to continue playing the campaign; usually week nights are impossible for me to find gaming time, so I lucked out. I managed to get through to the end of Act 3. Holy. Fucking. Shit.
I honestly didn't see the human lambency angle coming, but Dom's actions surprised me more. For Marcus to have watched Carlos make the same sort of sacrifice at Aspho Fields, and then to watch his other friend - Carlos' younger brother - do something similar was just plain tragic. I tried my best not to get misty, but man, I'd be a fucking wreck if my best friend did something like that. Although I know this puts me in a minority, actually caring about the characters I mean. It must be from having read the novels or whatnot... I've got a lot more back story in my mind than the regular Joe who's just played the games.

I'll definitely be firing it up tonight to start playing Act 4. Man, this game is incredible. Cliff and company, you guys did an astounding job. Thank you for putting all the love and care into the game that you clearly did. :)

Duress

Is it me or is the insane difficulty really insane compared to the other Gears games? I literally got out on the deck of the first act and I got rocked hard.

charsace

Some of the maps are terrible when going up against a party. Gridlock, the one with the bridge with the lancer turret, and hotel are all terrible if you are going up against a party and you don't have one.

Duress said:
Is it me or is the insane difficulty really insane compared to the other Gears games? I literally got out on the deck of the first act and I got rocked hard.
Yeah, it's definitely a shitton harder than Hardcore.

Kinda lame that you have to unlock executions now. I mean, seriously lame, even.

Jrmint

bumpkin said:
PXG and co., sorry I haven't been accepting game invites. I want to get through the SP campaign before I move onto playing some multi. :)

Anyway, I found some time last night to continue playing the campaign; usually week nights are impossible for me to find gaming time, so I lucked out. I managed to get through to the end of Act 3. Holy. Fucking. Shit.
I honestly didn't see the human lambency angle coming, but Dom's actions surprised me more. For Marcus to have watched Carlos make the same sort of sacrifice at Aspho Fields, and then to watch his other friend - Carlos' younger brother - do something similar was just plain tragic. I tried my best not to get misty, but man, I'd be a fucking wreck if my best friend did something like that. Although I know this puts me in a minority, actually caring about the characters I mean. It must be from having read the novels or whatnot... I've got a lot more back story in my mind than the regular Joe who's just played the games.

I'll definitely be firing it up tonight to start playing Act 4. Man, this game is incredible. Cliff and company, you guys did an astounding job. Thank you for putting all the love and care into the game that you clearly did. :)
Reading this and seeing how Act 3 ends is making me want to read a book or 2.

How many are there and which is the best to start with?

I seem to be regressing in skill in the multiplayer. I did pretty well the first couple nights, but last night I just got beat on over and over.

Also, it seems like my teammates have no sense of sticking together.

see5harp

RE Retro: to be honest at close range with people rushing forward with the SOS or Gnasher, I just hard aim and hold the trigger. Even with the crazy recoil I just aim down and mash, if you've got an active there is absolutely no way they will survive and if they are good at wall bouncing you can blind fire and usually win. Even at medium long range you can shoot one or two shots at a time and get enough damage to offer support fire.

Ramirez said:
It's a shame how easily the SOS can ruin a match if a whole group of half decent players starts using it. Literally the only negative thing I have to say about the games MP, aside from some terrible spawns here and there.

I would kill for a playlist that didn't have it...

I would kill for a playlist exuding ALL shotguns.

Adam Blade said:
Yeah, it was fun. There has to be an easier way to kill those
Lambent Zerkers
in Horde. :(

I heard scorchers will take them down fast.

Also using the Retro Lancer on their glowing spot is 3 times more effective then the other rifles.

bumpkin

Jrmint said:
Reading this and seeing how Act 3 ends is making me want to read a book or 2.

How many are there and which is the best to start with?
They're all honestly really good and provide a decent amount of background information. Naturally I'd say read them all if you can/want to, but the long and short of the books (as I recall them) are like so:

"Aspho Fields" - Covers a lot of pre E-Day events including some of the Pendulum Wars, talks about Marcus when he was younger, his friendship with Dom's older brother, explains Marcus' court marshall.

"Anvil Gate" - Talks about what took place at Anvil Gate back in the day, has a spattering of events that in the present (if I recall correctly), more about the Pendulum Wars.

"Jacinto's Remnant" - Picks up after the end of Gears 2, the beginnings of humanity's migration to Vectes, the slow appearance of lambent and the straggling locust who survived the sinking of Jacinto.

"Coalition's End" - Finishes bridging the events after Gears 2 and leading up to just before Gears 3, covers the events leading up to the collapse of the COG, Prescott's departure, the reasons for the evacuation of Vectes.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
Game becomes more and more about shotguns as you progress out of casual play (which is dumb, I just want to play with other randoms not organized teams.) Why? Because good players aren't gonna let you down him from a distance. They can weave like crazy, and because you go 100 mph when snapping against walls despite only walking 2 mph, the mid to long range gameplay that doesn't involve a win-hit-kill power weapon becomes more and more obsolete.

KOTH spawn time is too fast for the defending team. The attacking team gets spawn sandwiched too often. Spawning in general in some of these maps is just awful. COD awful.
The more I play these maps the less I like them, the more half of them kinda feel the same.
The lack of new modes is a damn shame.
Thank god I didn't buy this game.

This really bums me out, the close range roll+ shotgun feels the same every time to me no matter if I live or die. At least spawning with smoke cuts down on grenade spam ALOT.

Wait a second wait a second

I just checked the medals list. There's one for "Beta Tester". If I don't get this, am I unable to get the last 100 point achievement?? I was not in the Beta.

See You Next Wednesday said:
I heard scorchers will take them down fast.

Also using the Retro Lancer on their glowing spot is 3 times more effective then the other rifles.

I swear I tried using a scorcher on them last night, and it didn't even seem like it did a thing. Or at least that's what I assumed because they didn't look like they were burning like other things do when hit by the scorcher.

LiK

adversesolutions said:
Wait a second wait a second

I just checked the medals list. There's one for "Beta Tester". If I don't get this, am I unable to get the last 100 point achievement?? I was not in the Beta.
I have it. It's a zero point cheevo

Proelite

Jrmint said:
Sounds good.

I'm hoping the next game is a prequel, I'd really like to see how the Pendulum Wars play out that the characters sometimes talk about.

Not sure if I want to fight humans in gears due to the usual lack of variety with human enemies in games.

Willeth

TangoAlphaLima said:
I swear I tried using a scorcher on them last night, and it didn't even seem like it did a thing. Or at least that's what I assumed because they didn't look like they were burning like other things do when hit by the scorcher.
My understanding is that it burns them but doesn't do too much damage. When they're burning, though, they're vulnerable to other types of fire.

Willeth said:
My understanding is that it burns them but doesn't do too much damage. When they're burning, though, they're vulnerable to other types of fire.
I know the scorcher does that to Berserkers, but Lambent Berserkers?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
_dementia said:
I know the scorcher does that to Berserkers, but Lambent Berserkers?

I thought the way to bring those down was to wait until their chest opens and to fire right into it? Their chest only opens when they're charging at someone, and that someone only has a second to fire.

JB1981

I'm on Act 3 Chapter 1 ***spolier****
The Locust assault on Anvil Gate was one of the coolest last-stand sequences I've ever played in any videogame EVER. Absolutely fucking riveting.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
If the beta medal is needed, i'll be seriously pissed 3.0 :\
I was in the beta. I have the save file AND beta on my 4 gig
But no, nothing unlocked, the medal wasn't given. etc.

>:|

Frester

U2NUMB said:
I believe he is talking about Seriously 3.0

You need all the medals to get that. I do not know if that Beta one is needed. I would think not.

Pretty sure Seriously 3.0 requires all Onyx medals, ie ones you earn playing the game. Not being in the beta shouldn't affect Seriously.

Fantasmo

What the FUCK Epic. Why did you retune the difficulty? I'm about 4 chapters away from the end with my Gears campaign friend, and I noticed how easily we were blazing through. My friend said I was imagining things until halfway. The game is almost over and the whole time I was hoping the difficulty would ramp up.

This morning I tried on Hardcore and NOW I have to take cover like I remember. I took a media and GAF blackout on purpose so I could conclude my favorite campaign of this entire generation and I'm practically done and had no challenge. Why is Normal now Easy? Why is Hardcore now Normal?

I feel so fuckin ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom