• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever is running the newest gears tag PLEASE add some people. I know I am pending and as of right now there is only one person on the list...

renitou

junkster said:
What the FUCK Epic. Why did you retune the difficulty? I'm about 4 chapters away from the end with my Gears campaign friend, and I noticed how easily we were blazing through. My friend said I was imagining things until halfway. The game is almost over and the whole time I was hoping the difficulty would ramp up.

This morning I tried on Hardcore and NOW I have to take cover like I remember. I took a media and GAF blackout on purpose so I could conclude my favorite campaign of this entire generation and I'm practically done and had no challenge. Why is Normal now Easy? Why is Hardcore now Normal?

I feel so fuckin ripped off.
Play it again.

see5harp

junkster said:
What the FUCK Epic. Why did you retune the difficulty? I'm about 4 chapters away from the end with my Gears campaign friend, and I noticed how easily we were blazing through. My friend said I was imagining things until halfway. The game is almost over and the whole time I was hoping the difficulty would ramp up.

This morning I tried on Hardcore and NOW I have to take cover like I remember. I took a media and GAF blackout on purpose so I could conclude my favorite campaign of this entire generation and I'm practically done and had no challenge. Why is Normal now Easy? Why is Hardcore now Normal?

I feel so fuckin ripped off.

The game is at least 8 hours long and you played through the entire thing sleepwalking. Blame yourself.

razu

Tadale said:
The first two weeks of Gears 1 were great. The game played exactly like I imagine it's supposed to...

The thing about this is that I loved the way Gears 1 did play. It's dirty, mucky and in your face.

I never understood why they changed gears 2 to be more like how they wanted it to play.

If you have a bunch of people who love a game, why change it?

Anyway, gears 3 is back on track—for me. High five to CliffyB, even if I'm playing it wrong :)

pr0cs

Jrmint said:
Reading this and seeing how Act 3 ends is making me want to read a book or 2.

How many are there and which is the best to start with?
read the books, all 4 of them, they're all good, not a huge read but really expand on the characters. If you're even remotely interested in understanding the characters better the books are a must.

Act 1, Chapter 1 Question:

Why are they going into Lambent waters? That seems like an incredibly dumb decision, and it winds up getting the ship sunk. But it's never explained. And for something so monumentally risky, it seems like they'd need to explain why.

The only thing I can think is that they needed food, and food is only on land. They had to go to the coast (lambent territory) because the Ravens have a limited flight range.

Kimosabae

Banned
see5harp said:
The game is at least 8 hours long and you played through the entire thing sleepwalking. Blame yourself.

lol wut?

Seriously, this is my biggest complaint so far. Sleepwalking is quite adequate for progressing through the campaign on Normal. Game didn't get interesting at all until the
return of the Locust

I'm not done with it yet, though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
JB1981 said:
I'm on Act 3 Chapter 1 ***spolier****
The Locust assault on Anvil Gate was one of the coolest last-stand sequences I've ever played in any videogame EVER. Absolutely fucking riveting.
One of the most intense moments I've had in recent memory. I played coop and coordinating our attacks was fucking intense.
It honestly felt like we were getting raided there. My bro was on the turret and I was between scrounging for ammo, picking off as many as I can. When they broke through the final defense it was fucking sublime, I was rolling and evading everywhere for my life while my bro was on one of the turrets trying to slow down their advance. My god the intensity of the action made me completely oblivious to the simple set up of it all in 3 stages of them advancing.
Now THAT is good level design. Simple structure supplemented with all these factors and tons of different stimuli from audio, to all the visual chaos creating an atmosphere that gets you completely immersed into the game.

ShaneB

hearsaybear said:
Whoever is running the newest gears tag PLEASE add some people. I know I am pending and as of right now there is only one person on the list...

Think PXG has said he's been having issues with xbox.com and there was a delay with adding folks to the 4th tag.

This thread is so active as well, you can just ask for some people in here to join :)

I hope some folks would be up for some 10 player lobbies sometime this weekend, know that would be fun.

Just finished up the game on Hardcore this morning. Great game! I think the reason people find it easier is that you can be revived by one of three other characters throughout.

The last boss battle was great and I only died once:
I stayed with the group of COG and completely ignored the Queen's Guards. I was revived many many times but only died once. I used the Lancer to the mouth to down the bug; then Hammer of Dawn for it to fall off the ledge. Repeat until the bug starts to climb the tower, and now shoot the pink parts down the spine; let it fall to the ground and whip out the Hammer of Dawn again. Repeat until it dies. I would be surprised if the entire last battle took me longer than 20-minutes.

Great game and I am looking forward to a 4-person co-op run on Insane.

MacBosse

Jesus Beast was easy to complete.

We were just three guys blasting our way trough the 12 waves and ... over? The hell Epic, challenge me!

REV 09

JB1981 said:
I'm on Act 3 Chapter 1 ***spolier****
The Locust assault on Anvil Gate was one of the coolest last-stand sequences I've ever played in any videogame EVER. Absolutely fucking riveting.
completely agree. many games have moments like this, but this was the best that i've played of its type.

MacBosse said:
Jesus Beast was easy to complete.

We were just three guys blasting our way trough the 12 waves and ... over? The hell Epic, challenge me!
Agreed, way to easy on default matchmaking. But running around as a Berzerker in the final round was fun.

And there's an achievement for getting a kill with every enemy type in Beast.

bumpkin

Epyon MX said:
Act 1, Chapter 1 Question:

Why are they going into Lambent waters? That seems like an incredibly dumb decision, and it winds up getting the ship sunk. But it's never explained. And for something so monumentally risky, it seems like they'd need to explain why.

The only thing I can think is that they needed food, and food is only on land. They had to go to the coast (lambent territory) because the Ravens have a limited flight range.
There are no waterways that *aren't* lambent infested at that point on Sera. The lambent overtook Vectes - explained largely in the book "Coalition's End" - both by sea and land and forced what was left of humanity to take their chances on the heavily fortified Raven's Nest (the ship) and Hoffman and co. attempting to resettle at Anvil Gate. I just wish that we actually got see/meet Michaelson before he died during the attack on the ship. I mean getting to hear him over the PA system was one thing, but it would have been nice to put a face to the name (he was a major character in the book).

ShaneB said:
Think PXG has said he's been having issues with xbox.com and there was a delay with adding folks to the 4th tag.

This thread is so active as well, you can just ask for some people in here to join :)

I hope some folks would be up for some 10 player lobbies sometime this weekend, know that would be fun.

Ah, sorry didn't realize there was trouble. I'm on now, looking to do some beast and horde.

GT: ReaganStein

see5harp

Kimosabae said:
lol wut?

Seriously, this is my biggest complaint so far. Sleepwalking is quite adequate for progressing through the campaign on Normal. Game didn't get interesting at all until the
return of the Locust

I started on Hardcore to be safe and am finding it to be a decent challenge with 2 or 3 other people. Not sure if there's any scaling involved but we have died at least a couple times.

liger05

Just beat the game on hardcore and got no achievement. Loaded my last save point and beat the final boss a 2nd time and again didnt get the achievement.

Hixx

Its nice when you find a bloke who will work with you in the game, even when neither are using headsets. Went 6 matches winning before I got a bit of a headache and hungry, k/d climbing up from 1.3 to 2.0 in it. Last few matches was probably at 4k/d though.

Sandbar sucks but I really like the rest of the maps. Drydock could do with some changes to the upper level perhaps, everybody always congregates at one of the two power weapons and it can slow the match to a crawl depending on which one it is.

bumpkin

see5harp said:
I started on Hardcore to be safe and am finding it to be a decent challenge with 2 or 3 other people. Not sure if there's any scaling involved but we have died at least a couple times.
I started with hardcore right from the outset and have gotten my ass handed to me a few times (playing it solo)... It's reasonably challenging, I think. I'm glad I avoided normal and casual; I'm far too seasoned for weak sauce. :)

ShaneB

hearsaybear said:
Ah, sorry didn't realize there was trouble. I'm on now, looking to do some beast and horde.

GT: ReaganStein

No need to be sorry bud :) Hope you find some folks to play with, Gears is an awesome game, but the time flies by when you've got a group of talkative friends that are having a blast.

malfcn said:
Playing slightly like Gears 2 today. Boom went through someone, players skipping around etc.
charsace said:
Some of the maps are terrible when going up against a party. Gridlock, the one with the bridge with the lancer turret, and hotel are all terrible if you are going up against a party and you don't have one.
BlueScrote said:
I seem to be regressing in skill in the multiplayer. I did pretty well the first couple nights, but last night I just got beat on over and over.

Also, it seems like my teammates have no sense of sticking together.

Came here to post one or all of these, and I'm glad to see Gears-GAF has it handled. This game can quickly turn from "best thing ever" to "frustrating as balls" in a second.

MjFrancis

Kimosabae said:
return of the Locust

Having trucked through the campaign on Normal, I've been attempting to play 4 player co-op with randoms while on Insane. The game is mostly much better balanced for it, but I'm pretty sure I've been the only one on that difficulty. Problem is, unfortunately, that I am playing with randoms and consequently I've played through the first two-thirds of the first Act at least four times. I'm going to have to host some shit to get through to the end of the Act at all. I'm definitely going to need a crew by the time I get to the later Acts, too. I'm not a great Gears player by any means, but I get the occasional random that requires a lot of help. Even on Normal, by my estimation on how much they get shot.

I think I died a dozen times on Normal, almost always while doing stupid, stupid shit.

Since the campaign wasn't yielding much progress I decided to try BEAST MODE. Crap is that stuff fun! Thirteen to twenty minutes for a twelve round victory, a perfect length of time if you ask me! If another Act one runthrough fails me tonight I'll just beast mode it for a few hours.

And I haven't even tried any Versus MP or Horde 2.0 at all. Haven't played Campaign Arcade mode, either. There is so much stuff in this game I don't even understand why people are shelling out for Season pass shit and skins. I am just going to play the hell out of what's on the disk and maybe buy everything else when it's all ten dollars combined in like two years.

JB1981

Act 4 Chapter 1 spoiler -
Ashes to Ashes is AWESOME. I always wanted to know more about why the civilian population hates the Cog and now I know. They basically nuked their own people. What an atmosphere and great introduction to the city with Ash Man and him sabotaging the remains of the dead frozen in ash.

Act 3 spoiler DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETED THE ACT OR THE GAME-
Dom's self-sacrifice was handled very tastefully. A fitting end for him in Maria's birthplace. The cutscenes combined with the music gives a very Bruckheimer/Bay feel. I think it works. Hey, at least they attempt to humanize the drama.

george_us

AEREC said:
Cool pics...but really those jaggies are an eyesore and they are still a bit subdued in screenshots.

Sometimes I dont get the graphical praise this game gets.
It's the lighting. The rest of the game is a decent step up from Gears 2 but it's nothing to go apeshit over. But that lighting man, goddamn the lighting. It's fucking incredible.

Birbo

So how many chapters are in the game? I just reached Act 3 on Hardcore and I'm having little difficulty getting through it.

Think I'm starting to enjoy it a bit more than I was in the beginning. Hard to explain, but things just didn't feel as "solid" to me as in the first 2 games; guns weren't feeling any sort of different weight, enemies just bursting into glowy-nothingness, and I keep catching sight of "seams" in the environment; they kinda go white and I think it's an item I need to investigate. Sometimes levels feel more like flat cardboard cutouts than actual environments in those cases.

A buddy is picking it up today; we've done the first 2 on co-op so maybe that'll elevate things for me.

buttonsmasher

Neo Member
Came across something weird yesterday while playing split screen Horde with some buddies. My buddy was on the opposite side of the map operating a turret when he got hit by a Mauler from behind and died. He paid to respawn back in, and we finished the round, but the next round, I hit LB and noticed he was next to me.... but he was also on the other side of the map. Let him know, and we all went and stood next to him. The dummy player kept shooting his pistol until it ran out of ammo, and when my buddy would shoot the dummy, it would hurt the Carmine he was playing as. He gave the dummy money, and the money went right back into his pocket. He ended up downing himself shooting the dummy, then his game froze and unlocked when we finished the round. It was pretty bizarre. Here's a screenshot of both of them on screen together. :lol

GdiEH.jpg

I love Gears.

Birbo said:
So how many chapters are in the game? I just reached Act 3 on Hardcore and I'm having little difficulty getting through it.

Think I'm starting to enjoy it a bit more than I was in the beginning. Hard to explain, but things just didn't feel as "solid" to me as in the first 2 games; guns weren't feeling any sort of different weight, enemies just bursting into glowy-nothingness, and I keep catching sight of "seams" in the environment; they kinda go white and I think it's an item I need to investigate. Sometimes levels feel more like flat cardboard cutouts than actual environments in those cases.

A buddy is picking it up today; we've done the first 2 on co-op so maybe that'll elevate things for me.
31 chapters total spread over 5 acts.

Didn't really feel the campaign this time around. Got kind of boring halfway through Act 2 but the multiplayer has got me hooked like crazy. Horde and Beast mode are also sweet.

see5harp

Net_Wrecker said:
Came here to post one or all of these, and I'm glad to see Gears-GAF has it handled. This game can quickly turn from "best thing ever" to "frustrating as balls" in a second.

I think that's the beauty of most of the games I love playing competitively. You really wouldn't care so much if you didn't love the game. Coming back from 7 down with no respawns and two random guys communicating with voice and spotting has never felt so good. I really do think team deathmatch is the great addition to the Gears formula. When you get that sound effect for each death it really ratchets up the tension on an already tense game where you be gibbed by an SOS at every corner of a map. Also being able to distinguish the difference between shotguns also can make a scary situation elation when you survive an SOS attempt and punish him with the shotty.

Xamdou

Currently lvl 40, primarily using the retro lancer and I am a beast with it! Haven't used the gnasher or the sawed-off!

Damn, you know a game is good when you can barely focus in work and can't wait to get home and play more.

Gears 3 has done this to me. I want to go finish the campaign and more Horde & KotH.

What's the worst fictional Gears of War campaign level you can imagine in your mind?

I'm thinking Kryll + Razor hail + Lambent enemies. Starts with a vehicle section with that car that can't drive and use the flashlight at the same time, followed by a pistol's only four player box holding segment in which all four players must cooperate in moving the box through a building with damaged roofs during a razorhail storm. Power cuts in and out, attracting Kryll. No cover (must move box to objective without letting go). Lambent enemies attacking.

Yobalt

I finished the game about 10 minutes ago. The game is a vast improvement over the shit Gears of War 2 was. Is it as good as the first game? Hard to say, but it's close.

Now on to the multiplayer!=D

DomLando

Came across a glitch yesterday. Was playing ranked Team Deathmatch with a team of 5. When the game started we had an additional guy on our team and the other team only had 4. So it was 6 on 4. Hope that is something they fix asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom