• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Domino Theory said:
Played Horde 2.0 for the first time last night with three other buddies and we ended up doing all 50 waves in around 5 hours (stayed up until 5:30am PST).

Brumak
battle at Wave 50. Wow.

Horde 2.0 is fucking incredible. Such a huge leap from Gears 2.

Therms stayed up til 8:30?!?!?!

LOL

CyReN

Does anybody have the Epic Edition, if so is the statue worth it? Expertzone will have it for $60 next week and I'm thinking about picking one up.

Also does the Limited Edition just come with the Adam Fennix? or does it also come with the Infected Omen Weapon Pack.

ShaneB said:
I thought you were done with complaining about Gears MP ;)

Anyways, his description was vague. He was in cover, perhaps he blind fired, perhaps he got up and hard aimed and fired, who the heck knows. The other guy was barreling down charging with his gnasher. Cover guy shoots and doesn't get a gib because it wasn't the perfect shot, the other guy does and gets the kill.

I don't see how it's an issue.

Everytime I die in a shooter I don't wonder 'well damn, I was shooting him too, what happened?!'

This isn't an issue with Gears MP, this would be an issue with ANY MP. If two people attack with the same weapon from the same range, and both have a red reticule, you shouldn't have two different outcomes.

Last night, I was in a party of 5 and we were playing TDM quickmatch. Everyone froze and people were walking into walls. We spent about 3 minutes in host migration. When we came back, me and a party member were split off into a new match with 8 bots.

It was goddamn weird.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Last night, I was in a party of 5 and we were playing TDM quickmatch. Everyone froze and people were walking into walls. We spent about 3 minutes in host migration. When we came back, me and a party member were split off into a new match with 8 bots.

It was goddamn weird.

Ugh, the frozen/walking into walls thing brings back nightmarish memories of Gears 2.

SAY IT AIN'T SO EPIC

Grisby

AnEternalEnigma said:

It was goddamn weird.

This happened to me too for the first time today. Eerily enough it was on Gridlock and MW was playing for the first time for me. I just sat back and took in the sights before the game restarted again.

ShaneB

The Antitype said:
This isn't an issue with Gears MP, this would be an issue with ANY MP. If two people attack with the same weapon from the same range, and both have a red reticule, you shouldn't have two different outcomes.

My issue is why question it at all? Like I said, it's as simple as 'he got the better shot off'. It's not like we have video evidence here, so who the hell knows. His shot could've (and obviously was) not as direct as the shot that killed him.

Barrett2

Put disc in, getting disc read error. Fuck that. First disc game in 6 months ive attempted to play on 360.

Its 2(?) yrs old. How long is the warranty on this damn thing?

The Antitype said:
Shotgun pellet spread? Maybe the first shooter didn't have all the shotgun pellets hit and the second shooter did. This can happen even if your reticule is red when hard aiming the Gnasher, it all depends on other variables such as range. Or maybe the other guy had an Active Reload shot. Without a video clip of the incident, all this speculation really is pretty pointless.

lawblob said:
Put disc in, getting disc read error. Fuck that. First disc game in 6 months ive attempted to play on 360.

I heard that some of the gears3 disc had issues and I'd get the disc swapedp. My first Gears3 disc didn't even show up in the x360 but the new one is fine.

Plasmid

AnEternalEnigma said:

It was goddamn weird.
This happened to me 4 times.

Got 37 today. Getting closer.

darthbob

lawblob said:

Gears of War 3 is the first 360 game to use the XGD3 disc format, as such, there may be some issues.

Standard warranty on consumer electronics, like the Xbox 360 is generally 1 year, sometimes 90 days.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
So when the game says 'Failed to connect to host', that tells me the dedicated servers aren't up.

Is that correct? ;\

Ok, the Digger fucking annoys me.

How the FUCK does it work?

I try using it, it digs right past people. People use it against me and it ALWAYS pops up, right on cue. I could be five feet away, 15 feet away, 50 feet away. Am I just ALWAYS up against digger masters? Is it supposed to 'sense' a guy and pop up?

What. the. fuck?

X-Frame

The Antitype said:
Isn't the key difference between your scenarios WHERE each player was shot? Especially with shotguns, with bullet spread.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I had a pretty rough start with the MP. Everyone insists on playing TDM when im used to playing execution or warzone so i tend to play a bit more conservative and generally score kinda low. It took me almost 5 hours to really get into a groove and open up.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Plasmid said:
Day 3

FUCK THE SOS.

I hate it as a weapon, but if you just say "fuck map control" and not push anything and simply use assault rifle, it pretty much neuters them.

The problem with THAT, is any competent team that has map control is going to bend you over.

has anyone at epic chimed in to justify why they decided not to have arcade matches and horde matches not contribute to a lot of the generic gameplay medals? things like active reloads and weapon kills seem to be limited to ranked/private versus matches, and for such a broad set of game features it seems odd to have it incentivize one subset of those.

I'm going to conduct an experiment to see if you can go negative as far as points on the ranked leaderboards.

Basically, everytime I'm dropped into a horribly one-sided match that exposes the failure of the matchmaking system, I'm going to quit. I've got about 50,000 points now, so I have to quit about 25 matches in a row.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The Antitype said:
I'm going to conduct an experiment to see if you can go negative as far as points on the ranked leaderboards.

Basically, everytime I'm dropped into a horribly one-sided match that exposes the failure of the matchmaking system, I'm going to quit. I've got about 50,000 points now, so I have to quit about 25 matches in a row.

All you do is shit on this thread with negativity. How the hell are you not banned for trolling yet?

Darklord

Banned
UUUUUH, FUCK. There's no host migration in Horde mode? You know, the long, time consuming 50 waves that you can't pause mode. We were up to about 37 and the guy quits on us. God damn.

Alienshogun said:
All you do is shit on this thread with negativity. How the hell are you not banned for trolling yet?

Because my complaints are legitimate and I also speak highly of the elements that are well-done.

It's called being objective.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
A tip for people playing a lot of horde.

On boss battles, kill everything but the boss first if possible. As long as there is a respawn pool for enemies, you run the risk of spawning a new boss.

The Antitype said:
Because my complaints are legitimate and I also speak highly of the elements that are well-done.

It's called being objective.

No, it's called being a nagging bitch and since I can't slap you like I would if you were infront of me, I'll simply put you on ignore.

charsace

KorrZ said:
It's almost a joke. I usually play with just my one buddy and everytime we get Overpass we just rush right to the top. It's so hard for the other team to get at you once you lock it down and you're just picking off people from the top all day.
Which is why I hate overpass when I am on a random team. Usually randoms don't go for the bridge and end up getting fucked. I have yet to win a match on that map. You keep 3 up there and send two for the hammer of dawn and just camp away.

And the SOS is ruining TDM. Its causes more camping. I've noticed that people will take cover in the middle of bigass walls like the the rocket pick up in gridlock and wait for you to pass so they can run up on you. Or two guys, one with a lancer and one with the SOS, can hold high ground on all the maps. They need to make the distance the SOS can gib at shorter, slow down the L trigger aim, and put the active reload at the end of the bar. Because even when you avoid the SOS the guy is already running and reloading while you recover from your roll. And the bar on the SOS seems to be slow as hell so active reload is easy to get. I went from .5 K/D to .9 just from using the SOS.

Please God baby Jesus can I get on one of the GAF GEARS lists to play some RTDM!?!

Alienshogun said:

On boss battles, kill everything but the boss first if possible. As long as there is a respawn pool for enemies, you run the risk of spawning a new boss.

No, it's called being a nagging bitch and since I can't slap you like I would if you were infront of me, I'll simply put you on ignore.

*single tear*

see5harp

Darklord said:
UUUUUH, FUCK. There's no host migration in Horde mode? You know, the long, time consuming 50 waves that you can't pause mode. We were up to about 37 and the guy quits on us. God damn.

The host can pause the game but before you start a 50 run make sure the host is down to stick through until the end.

Bread

Banned
I just played another round of beast mode, I got the berserker in the last round...I said dayum. That and the corpser just destroy the COG.

Alienshogun said:

You are actually derailing the thread way more than him.

Lakitu

st5fu
Completed the campaign. So bittersweet.

It's definitely my favourite in the trilogy by far, much more interesting set-pieces, more varied level design and art design, the combat is unsurprisingly awesome and the pacing was excellent for the most part. I just wish sometimes I could stop and enjoy all the scenery without getting shot at all the time. But that's a minor gripe.

I have to finish the last Fallout: New Vegas DLC first and then get into some multi. Looking forward to it.

Thermite

Ramirez said:
Therms stayed up til 8:30?!?!?!

LOL

Domino Theory said:
Yep, same with Spud, haha.

LOL Man, I've felt like shit all day long. I only got roughly four hours of sleep, but it was so worth it. Had such a fun time playing through Horde with you, Spud, and EazyB (Ram, you should have been there! :p).

I really love the money addition system to Gears 3's Horde mode. Being able to buy fences, turrets, decoys and just essentially set up a base wherever you want = awesomesauce. So much better than Gears 2. The challenges are pretty sweet with their rewards, too. I just kinda wish that the bosses were a bit more varied. Fighting a
Brumak
is pretty damn awesome, but after the third time in a row I just kinda want to fight something else...

Alienshogun said:
I hate it as a weapon, but if you just say "fuck map control" and not push anything and simply use assault rifle, it pretty much neuters them.

The problem with THAT, is any competent team that has map control is going to bend you over.

Yeah...that's what I come to gears for!! THAT'S WHERE THE FUN'S AT!

So, I picked up a Retro Lancer replica from GameStop this week, but forgot to cancel an order I had placed on their site when it was backordered. So, now I'll have a second Retro Lancer Replica.

Before I plan on selling it, I'd love to see if there's anyone out there with a Gears 2 Lancer Replica who'd be interested in a trade?

PM me if you're interested or know someone who would be.

I'd love to hear the stategies that gnasher users have against SOS users. Cause the range on the SOS is good enough, and the spread wide enough, that it's almost impossible for them to miss that first shot, so you can punish them during the reload time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom