• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

Thermite said:
LOL Man, I've felt like shit all day long. I only got roughly four hours of sleep, but it was so worth it. Had such a fun time playing through Horde with you, Spud, and EazyB (Ram, you should have been there! :p).

I really love the money addition system to Gears 3's Horde mode. Being able to buy fences, turrets, decoys and just essentially set up a base wherever you want = awesomesauce. So much better than Gears 2. The challenges are pretty sweet with their rewards, too. I just kinda wish that the bosses were a bit more varied. Fighting a
Brumak
is pretty damn awesome, but after the third time in a row I just kinda want to fight something else...

I had a full blown cold and still stayed up all night. Got maybe 2-3 hours of sleep. Next day I was the walking dead...

Worth it.

JB1981

Forsaken82 said:
What was wrong with it? In my opinion it was a lot better than the lambent brumak battle from Gears 2.

i'm playing solo on hardcore and can't beat it. it is absolutely infuriating

jackdoe

JB1981 said:
It takes a while, but it's doable. Seriously, ignore everything except for the boss. All other distractions have infinite respawns and they aren't worth your precious time or ammo.

Forsaken82 said:
What was wrong with it? In my opinion it was a lot better than the lambent brumak battle from Gears 2.
You called that a boss battle? I called that a quick-time-event.

And this battle grinded my gears (no pun intended).
The bitch pretty much requires that you don't stop shooting her for even a second, while you're being swarmed with Theron Guards and those little flying bastards. I spent way too much time trying to kill Theron Guards before I ultimately just tried to hide from them as best I could, but they still managed to kick my ass a couple of times. Once I was charging up the Hammer to take her down, and right as the beam hits I get chainsawed from behind by a Theron Guard. Man, I was pissed then. :lol

Basically, stay with your team and keep firing on the queen. If you're getting shot, take cover, but try and keep firing on the queen even then. It should work then, though as I noted above, it still requires some luck not to get nailed by the Therons in some way.

I finished Act I on solo Insane today, and I am not looking forward to doing that bossfight.

JB1981

jackdoe said:
It takes a while, but it's doable. Seriously, ignore everything except for the boss. All other distractions have infinite respawns and they aren't worth your precious time or ammo.

the problem is they FUCKING PELT ME EVERY WHICH WAY I GO AND THEY PUT ME DOWN BEFORE I CAN TAKE THE FUCKING BOSS OUT. FUCKK YOUUUUUUUU EPIC

jackdoe

Blue Ninja said:
You called that a boss battle? I called that a quick-time-event.

And this battle grinded my gears (no pun intended).
The bitch pretty much requires that you don't stop shooting her for even a second, while you're being swarmed with Theron Guards and those little flying bastards. I spent way too much time trying to kill Theron Guards before I ultimately just tried to hide from them as best I could, but they still managed to kick my ass a couple of times. Once I was charging up the Hammer to take her down, and right as the beam hits I get chainsawed by behind from a Theron Guard. Man, I was pissed then. :lol
Haha. I was lucky.
I never got chainsawed once. The only reason I got repeated game overs was because I didn't spray the queen with enough bullets to get her off the freaking tower.

And yeah, Gears 2 once you get on the Bruamk is a cakewalk, even on Insane.

JB1981 said:
the problem is they FUCKING PELT ME EVERY WHICH WAY I GO AND THEY PUT ME DOWN BEFORE I CAN TAKE THE FUCKING BOSS OUT. FUCKK YOUUUUUUUU EPIC
Take cover and pray that your AI buddies will insta revive you.

JB1981 said:
Stay with your team. It took me a few tries, too, but at least they can revive you. Try and stay behind cover as much as you can.

JB1981 said:
haha, well you will probably glorify this boss in about 4 years time.

Grisby

JB1981 said:

Always stay beside someone. And near the HOD spawns. I'm not the best gears guy and was dreading the final boss but beat it in one try. smugdog.jepg (just kidding dude, good luck).

I still think Skorge from Gears 2 was a pretty good boss battle. The first part, not the part where you're riding a Reaver. Gears 2 had way too many of those "gimmick" moments, imo. First there's the assault on Landdown, then there's the part inside the worm, then there's the part where you're riding a Centaur, then there's the part where you're on a raft, then there's a shitton of parts where you're stuck on some kind of elevator and then you're riding a Brumak.

I was glad to see Gears 3 didn't have as much of those "gimmicks".
Sure, there's that elevator section during Act 1, the short ride on Gasbag Airways, the section with the turret and the submarine ride, but they're set apart and paced a whole lot better, imo.

JB1981 said:

whats so hard about it? Its dirt easy.

I) you can hardly die so just stand and shoot it and it will hurt you and you will need to be revived and you will be. There is absolutely no need to hide

then you shoot it with the hammer of dawn.

and repeat

II) then it goes onto the tower and you shoot the back.

and then you repeat the part I above twice - ignoring the guards, and you will win

the game is so broken and easy that the end boss wasn't even difficult. you'll be revived if you get downed so I'd just stand there and shoot.

Doomskull

Neo Member
I can't decide whether to buy this.

I loved Gears 1 but Gears 2 bored me to tears, gave up half way through; too many big battles with large enemies, not enough grinding battles with Locusts, popping in and out of cover, etc like the first one.

So is Gears 3 closer to Gears 1 than Gears 2?

Edit: just read blue ninja's post above, I think I have my answer.

U2NUMB

So.. this is interesting and a bit annoying. Finished the game 2 nights ago.. 4 players.. last 3 acts all together with no disconnects or anything. Checking the progress of my achievements they did not give any of us credit for Act 5 as far as the 4 player co op version.

Anyone else have this happen? Is it glitched?

JB1981

Pachterballs said:
whats so hard about it? Its dirt easy.

I) you can hardly die so just stand and shoot it and it will hurt you and you will need to be revived and you will be. There is absolutely no need to hide

then you shoot it with the hammer of dawn.

and repeat

II) then it goes onto the tower and you shoot the back.

and then you repeat the part I above twice - ignoring the guards, and you will win

the game is so broken and easy that the end boss wasn't even difficult. you'll be revived if you get downed so I'd just stand there and shoot.
I beat it finally. Ending was torturous. I loved the game, off to spoiler thread

The Antitype said:
I'd love to hear the stategies that gnasher users have against SOS users. Cause the range on the SOS is good enough, and the spread wide enough, that it's almost impossible for them to miss that first shot, so you can punish them during the reload time.
Most SOS users I've encountered are impatient since their whole time online is littered with short bursts of high payoff. Their whole enjoyment of this game boils down to a few split seconds.

Therefore, you don't go snooping around corners, making sure you never put yourself in a position to be at melee range. If one rushes you, 75% of the time they will shoot too early when you evade their rush. When they turn tail and run, they are fucked.

In cases where you are stuck in close quarters with a SOS user, wall bounce. Initiating your bounce early enough will make them miss more often than not. In these instances, they are even more fucked.

And for cog's sake, don't engage people by yourself. Roll with your team and communicate.

Heysoos

Horde 2.0 is amazing. Finished out 50 wave run earlier. Wave 50, my team gets wiped with only the
Lambent Berserker
and me left. I run out of ammo, cash, so I just turn to my trusty pistol. Take a couple of potshots before turning around to look for ammo. Last bullet kills it. Amazing experience.

ALSO. My beta unlocks still won't fucking unlock.

I bought the LE and my wife bought the Epic edition of Gears 3, but we cannot find the infected omega wepon skins code. Do anyone know where they would beI swear I have looked at everything that came in both boxes.

Addnan

yankeehater said:
I bought the LE and my wife bought the Epic edition of Gears 3, but we cannot find the infected omega wepon skins code. Do anyone know where they would beI swear I have looked at everything that came in both boxes.
It should be inside the Epic Edition game box.

Grisby

yankeehater said:

Should be an insert in the EE.

U2NUMB

So anyone else have the game hang up at the loading screen right after a match? Waited 5 min so i went to the dashboard only to be greeted with a penalty when I started the game back up. Seems like BS since the game failed to load.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The Antitype said:
I'd love to hear the stategies that gnasher users have against SOS users. Cause the range on the SOS is good enough, and the spread wide enough, that it's almost impossible for them to miss that first shot, so you can punish them during the reload time.

There are two cases where you need to take different strategies against the SOS users:

Scenario One - In a closed off/small area/narrow hallway where you don't have a lot of space to move:

1) Wallbouncing may or may not help you here in the case of dodging. If you are not quick enough to get behind them (In other words, wallbouncing diagonally twice or rolling) then you need to get yourself out of the area if they are rushing you OR

2) Hard-Aiming with the Gnasher is a MUST in this situation. If you are shooting from the hip and they are shooting from the hip with the SOS, in close quarters 99% of the time they will destroy you and the other 1% it'll be a Double KO. If it's a case where they can't kill you with the SOS based on distance, you firing from the hip will probably not do them enough damage to kill or down them before they can run away after missing/failing to kill you.

3) Get the fuck out. If you can't, try your hand at making them miss or baiting them.

Scenario Two - When you are in an open area with space and some cover:

1) Wallbouncing will do you much good. Not towards them either, but towards other cover. If you can make them miss once, that might be all you need.

2) You can generally see the SOS user coming because of how open the field is (if they get the jump on you from behind, it's over, but that's not because of the SOS, if they catch you from behind with most weapons you're done)... Either start shooting (from hip or hard aim) from well before they get to you. Once that happens, if they are bold, they'll keep running. That situation I was talking about earlier where you shooting from the hip in close range won't kill them, well now it will because they're damaged.

3) Switching to a rifle is respectable, especially a hammerburst or retro lancer (I prefer Hammerburst and Gnasher Combo forever). Light the motherfucker up.

4) Generally, in an open area, SOS users will rush, and if they miss, run away very quickly. If you want to take them out this is a good time to do so, but it would also be a good tip to try memorizing how long the reload time is on a SOS (AReload, RegReload, and Jam).

5) Always take wide corners.

mernst23

Has anyone started their Insane playthrough yet? I'm on Act 2 Chapter 6, this shit is so cheap. There's absolutely no way to pass this without having 3 people play with a difficulty less than insane and cheesing you through it. For those who don't know, in insane campaign you can't go DBNO, you just die, and restart. I seriously got hit by one boltok shot and died at one point tonight.

Myrrah
is going to be impossible just because any small asshole can take you out never the less it will instant kill you.

Sanic

Finished the campaign on hardcore about an hour ago. Act III was the only act that I felt had good pacing, and the campaign as a whole was just alright for me.
Final boss dragged on for way too long, and I didn't die at all. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed repeating that if I had.

Also, no explanation on
why myrah looked like a human. Or what was on the disc Adam gave to Baird.

i'm addicted to online, its coming up to 2am and i am still playing, have to go on a long drive in the morning so I should be sleeping...

Anyone interested in doing some online coop starting with Act 2? Everyone is either playing horde or is on Act 5 online coop. Any takers? Name is Starrk RTD.

mernst23

Pandoracell said:
Finished the campaign on hardcore about an hour ago. Act III was the only act that I felt had good pacing, and the campaign as a whole was just alright for me.
Final boss dragged on for way too long, and I didn't die at all. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed repeating that if I had.

Also, no explanation on
why myrah looked like a human. Or what was on the disc Adam gave to Baird.

When I beat the game Wednesday that pissed me off to no end, the non-existant explanation of myrrah, the fact that the locusts were "just there all along" but then turned into the SS because adam fenix and maybe some other top level guys wanted them to stay underground; Note: I also thought the bullshit "it hurts the locust too" argument was way too convenient. Apparently they built neutrino lambent cell neutralizer bomb in "a few days." (That's when Prescott says Myrrah captured Azura), otherwise Adam Fenix had this shit on the brink of working as Myrrah captured Azura.

h3ro said:
We still need one more! Come on guys!

Invite me and I'll help out

Boogdud

JaggedSac said:
Do hip fire shots do more damage than aimed shots?

I don't think it's supposed to. But I'll be damned if the shotguns (especially the gnasher) feels like it's at double or triple power when you don't aim it.

Boogdud

ShaneB said:
My issue is why question it at all? Like I said, it's as simple as 'he got the better shot off'. It's not like we have video evidence here, so who the hell knows. His shot could've (and obviously was) not as direct as the shot that killed him.

Probably comes down to the theory that when you have a competitive game, you expect the board to be the same for everyone. Therefore validating the whole competitive part. Without it, how do you judge your performance? Nobody goes to the olympics and says "damn I hope the judges see that I'm .4 seconds faster than the next guy, but if they don't, oh well I guess he ran better than me".

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ramirez said:
I managed to find a measly 12 collectibles on my play through, and only 4 COG tags. I suck at finding hidden stuff.

I'm fine at finding stuff, but they must be insanely well hidden in here. I have 16 collectibles and 5 dog tags on act 5 chapter 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom